Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Love the dress! Yep, you look a bit higher than me. I do think mine has dropped slightly in the last few days. Baby's head feels lower anyway on my ladyparts. I'm 30 weeks + 3. Got told again today by my dentist I was very neat but I think judging by my antenatal classes I look similar enough to everyone else there!

We had Aisling picked for a girl. My husband had a sister who was sadly killed in a car accident when he was young. Her name began with Ash and he used to call her Ashy so it was a way to combine my Irish side and to remember her. If we have a girl next time she'll be Aisling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Paperclip those are lovely names, I like the solid names too. First thing we did though was see what the top names for boys and girls were and decided not to go for them! Our 2 year old was called a name from the top in 2011 and we hear it everywhere we go and for some reason people can't pronounce it with and it drives me mad!
    I like Andrew for a boy (my Dads name) but hubby is against it - think I will kick up more of a stink on it as we are really stuck!

Murdy, I love your new addition, bit furrier than you imagined I bet! But I would let him know from now its a big no no to be in there! Sounds awful but a spray can of water will soon train him to stay out.
    Love the bump, I'd say we are similar sized (but I have a bit more weight on my bum and legs!)

aknitter wrote: »
    Paperclip those are lovely names, I like the solid names too. First thing we did though was see what the top names for boys and girls were and decided not to go for them! Our 2 year old was called a name from the top in 2011 and we hear it everywhere we go and for some reason people can't pronounce it with and it drives me mad!
    I like Andrew for a boy (my Dads name) but hubby is against it - think I will kick up more of a stink on it as we are really stuck!

Murdy, I love your new addition, bit furrier than you imagined I bet! But I would let him know from now its a big no no to be in there! Sounds awful but a spray can of water will soon train him to stay out.

He got shouted at and was very sheepish afterwards. He's used to ruling the house so it's all going to be a bit of a shock for him. I couldn't believe it when I saw him in there. Naughty kitty!

I love Andrew for a boy - hope you can persuade your husband! Mine was useless with names, he vetoed everything I suggested but had no suggestions of his own. He was driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Aww, those are so cute. :) Love the giraffe motif! The white jacket is fine, it'll look cute on the little one. :)
    Also love the little robot quilts you have for the cot- where did you get them?

Of course you'll need the clothes....think how big of a shock it is for baby to go from your warm innards to the cold and blustery Irish weather! I feel sorry for them, really, but fortunately they won't remember it. :)

Andrew is lovely- I really like the nickname Andy (guess what though, husband vetoed it). He seems to like Rían though, hooray! It'd be pronounced Ree-in, but my american family think it sounds like a girl's name. NOOOO!

• Advertisement

Aww, those are so cute. :) Love the giraffe motif! The white jacket is fine, it'll look cute on the little one. :)
    Also love the little robot quilts you have for the cot- where did you get them?

Of course you'll need the clothes....think how big of a shock it is for baby to go from your warm innards to the cold and blustery Irish weather! I feel sorry for them, really, but fortunately they won't remember it. :)

Andrew is lovely- I really like the nickname Andy (guess what though, husband vetoed it). He seems to like Rían though, hooray! It'd be pronounced Ree-in, but my american family think it sounds like a girl's name. NOOOO!

Americans turn loads of names into girls names though! I like Rian for a boy and that it comes from your maiden name. My brother is called Rhys and I've met so many girls called Reece, they don't like it when you say it's a boys name :p

Got the quilt set in TK Maxx for 13EUR - reduced from about 60! The baby won't actually be able to use it until he's a year old but it was too much of a bargain to pass up, my hubby is big into robots :)

That's a great bargain! I'll have to have a look in TKMaxx myself next time I'm near there. It'll be fun having someone else to buy things for. :) The girl outfits in the shops look really cute! Don't they say a higher bump means more likelihood of having a girl? Hmmmm....

Has anyone else checked out all the gender tests? I think I've done most of them myself- the placenta test (in early scans, a placenta on the right side of the uterus is said to indicate a female), the skull test and even the baking soda test! lol!
    They've all indicated female so far.....

Americans have this really weird thing about naming girls after boy's names- Jamie, Madison just to name a couple. Also they seem to be really into giving babies 'unique' names, which often just means spelling a 'normal' name with a lot of Zs and Ys....

That's a great bargain! I'll have to have a look in TKMaxx myself next time I'm near there. It'll be fun having someone else to buy things for. :) The girl outfits in the shops look really cute! Don't they say a higher bump means more likelihood of having a girl? Hmmmm....

Has anyone else checked out all the gender tests? I think I've done most of them myself- the placenta test (in early scans, a placenta on the right side of the uterus is said to indicate a female), the skull test and even the baking soda test! lol!
    They've all indicated female so far.....

Americans have this really weird thing about naming girls after boy's names- Jamie, Madison just to name a couple. Also they seem to be really into giving babies 'unique' names, which often just means spelling a 'normal' name with a lot of Zs and Ys....

Apparently if your baby's heart rate is a bit higher it means a girl too. 55% of women with hyperemesis have girls so there was a higher chance of me having a girl but we had two detailed scans and although it's never 100% I'd be very surprised if it was a girl from what we saw on the scan! Also, have you put your wedding ring on a chain and dangled it over your bump? Apparently the direction it goes in can tell you. I think all those old wives tales are sweet!

I had to get a lot of work done on my teeth as the baby was leeching all the minerals etc out of them and from being so sick. The dentist told me that in his experience boys are more likely to do that! How are your teeth?

TK Maxx have some good bargains but you do have to search and check in there every so often. The baby clothes were a bit expensive because they were quite fancy. They have lovely Stella McCartney clothes that were gorgeous but I think that's the kind of thing you buy as a present for someone else, not for your own baby. They weren't super cheap :)

Oh Lynda - meant to say to you, I remember you talking about getting travel toiletries for your labour/ward bag. At the moment all little travel bottles are 3 for 2 in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Love the bumps girls mine is like Murdy alot lower but I hav gone so broad on shoulders ! Yes I felt same as class aswel more less wen i went last Monday.

I am thinking Ryan for boy ;) Ella for girl ;)

How everyone feeling I feel alot better today with heat not As heavy !

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Apparently if your baby's heart rate is a bit higher it means a girl too. 55% of women with hyperemesis have girls so there was a higher chance of me having a girl but we had two detailed scans and although it's never 100% I'd be very surprised if it was a girl from what we saw on the scan! Also, have you put your wedding ring on a chain and dangled it over your bump? Apparently the direction it goes in can tell you. I think all those old wives tales are sweet!

I had to get a lot of work done on my teeth as the baby was leeching all the minerals etc out of them and from being so sick. The dentist told me that in his experience boys are more likely to do that! How are your teeth?

My teeth are in grand condition! It was probably mostly from being sick, poor you...I only had a couple of weeks of hangoverish nausea, nowhere near on the level that you had yours. Poor thing!

Baby's heartbeat has been around the 170-180 range, so that could also indicate a girl? The wedding ring on a chain thing showed a boy, though that one is a bit less scientific than the others. ;

Overall it's looking like it'll be a girl so far...I'll be looking very carefully at the scan next monday! Has everyone else had their 31 week scans yet?

Aisling is a lovely name, Murdy- and such a nice way to remember your husband's sister. A similar thing happened to my husband (she was a lot younger though- 9 months and passed away in her cot), her name was Sarah, we'll probably use it for one of our girls someday.

I get sad when I think about it though, it really hit their family hard. I can't imagine that happening to my baby.

All you first time mammys will be lower than the rest of us as the baby slips in to the birth canal earlier, i will be breathless for a while yet! I think we are both in agreement on Abbey for a girl.

We called our eldest an American name but as its originally an english name we gave it the english spelling - everyone thought I was trying to be unique but in truth its used as a common english boys name so we felt we'd better be 'english correct' as opposed to American!

i love the idea of commemorating your deceased relatives that way its so nice, we are letting our 14 year old pick the baby boys second name - we retain a veto after she jokingly(?!) suggested Rambo for our 2 year old! But if its a girl I put my foot down and want Ellen after my mother's mother - never met her shes dead about 45 years but apparently I am so like her my aunts all comment on it - I like the same perfume and knit etc. And yes Murdy she is excited.

I love Abbey! So pretty :) would you have her name officially as abbey or Abigail? Rambo is a cool middle name! We're going with a Hindu middle name for ours, for my husband's side of the family. It'll mean a lot to them although culturally they don't have middle names!

Interesting bout baby's head dropping earlier for first time mums! I can definitely feel a lot more pressure down below and am not as breathless.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Blueskye, I really want to see your bump (PICS!), can't imagine having ANOTHER baby in there, one is enough for me, lol. It must be really uncomfortable trying to sleep/turn over at night?

Baba seems to have its feet in my diaphragm and to be massaging my bladder on the other end...not a pleasant sensation!

Last scan is next Monday! Really looking forward to it- should be able to see the face better this time, people are telling me?

Anyone else having problems picking out names? Husband seems to like a total of 3 names....argh!

I have no idea how to put up a picture on here :confused: ya, pretty uncomfortable at night, I'm like one of those walruses trying to turn in bed. I had to kick out poor OH to spare room a few months ago because I need so much room in the bed and am so restless at night. It means we both get some sleep.

We picked a name each, Alex and Joshua. We've been calling them their names for a few months now which feels nice. And we'll give them each one of their grandfather's names as a middle name.

Looks like my delivery date is going to be even closer. Was with doc today for ultrasound and there is less fluid around one baby and my placenta is looking 'grainy'. Have to go in to hospital Sat morn to monitor babies movements and have another ultrasound on Monday. But they are good weights, 4lb 6oz and 5lb so they should be ok even if they come a bit early.

The theory about heart rate is interesting paperclipgrad. We're having boys and one heart rate today was 149 so that would back up the theory of girls having higher heart rates.

Blueskye - thats the handy thing about having twins I suppose. Are they identical or fraternal or can you tell at the moment.

Actually my sons name is Alex and it drives me mad hearing other mams calling their Alex and it sounds like 'Alix! or rather AAALLLIIIXX!

Will you go for Alexander and call him Alex or just Alex?

Murdy - we'd go for Abbey - don't ever want it shortened to just Gail, I don't like that name.

Love the names Blueskye! Joshua is the name at the top of our list too so we'll probably have two in our little group in the end :) I just want to see him first to make sure. my mum loves Alex as well, keeps pushing it as a name, it is on our short list :) exciting your boys could be here so soon!

I don't like Gail either, I had a crazy boss called that once!

DoubleB - tonight's antenatal class was about labour breathing etc. we got quite a good hand out (incl some good advice on perineal massage). Would you like me to send it to you? Hubby can take it to work and scan it

They're identical Aknitter, they could tell us that at the 12 week scan - sharing one placenta. Hence higher risks but luckily I've been fine until now.

No, not gone on Gail either. It reminds me of Gail from Coronation Street. Funny the associations you make with names. But Abbey is really sweet.

I think just Alex rather than Alexander. My OH loved Alexandra for a girl but I wasn't keen. That's gas Murdy, maybe two Joshuas so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi Everyone,

What gorgeous bumps yee have. And Murdy your cat is very cute (and bold!!) Beautiful names picked by all of yee I have to say. We have started calling our babs by the name we have chosen. I'm very paranoid to give anything away on here as I'm conscious of nosey relatives/friends finding out as they know I go on here and I've said so much about myself that its v obvious who I am!!!!!

Murdy that is such a kind offer to make and thanks so much for thinking of me bt there is no way I could ask u to go to that trouble. Maybe if u could just pick a few imp points and share withthe group here instead? I'd be thrilled with any lil bit of info. Also I'm dying to hear about the whole breast feeding thing when yee get to that, as I hear they are very pushy. My plan is to breastfeed if possible for as long as I feel its working out and to supplement with one formula feed as last feed at night, from 2-3wks on. Apparently this can help the babs sleep longer at night as they stay fuller for longer and eliminates one night feed??! My friend does this at the moment with her little boy and she said it works a dream. Have heard it from a few people. Then again if the breastfeeding thing doesnt work out I wont be getting caught up on it either as an upset and distressed Mammy is no good to babsers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Loads to catch up on here! Loving your bump photos. I'll have to take one of mine and post it up (the ones I already have are in my PJ's lol and they're going nowhere near teh interwebs!). It's gone really big in the last week or two but I don't find it that cumbersome. Turning in bed/moving etc is more trouble from my dodgy pelvis and back than anything else. 34 weeks today, hard to believe..

The names you're all thinking of are gorgeous, I had Alex on my list (girl's version) but I liked it a lot more for a boy. Abbey was on my girls list too, love it! We have our name picked out but we are a bit superstitious about telling anyone before she arrives. Thought I would have cracked by now and told mother or besties but have managed to keep it to ourselves! It's fairly unusual but not out there, if you know what I mean. Have been calling her it since about 25 weeks so I guess it's stuck now :)

Murdy, your cat is adorable! He knows he's your first baby getting into the cot! He will probably be a little suspicious of the baby at first but I'm sure they'll be best pals.

Blueskye, hope your placenta is OK and all goes well at the check on Saturday.. Your two little guys are thriving though, that's some weight the pair of them are! Can't imagine how tired you must be feeling.

Paperclip - I am having girl according to the scan, and the heartbeat was 170.. Also, I was quite sick at the start, though not as bad as poor Murdy.

Aknitter - I never knew that about the first timers dropping earlier. I only had breathlessness for a day or so there when the baby was moving around (was breech up to 33 weeks, then started moving around a lot and now I don't know what way up) but I'm fine now. Would that suggest back to breech, do you think? I only occasionally am over-urinating as well. My bump just looks all out in front as opposed to being up/down, I think!!

• Advertisement

Ok, DoubleB will post up something when I get a chance and will def pass on the advice from breastfeeding class. I'll be goong beginning of May.I don't know what to think about bfeeding or what to expect. Will just see what happens and how long I can keep it up for. I'd like to do it for 6 months but sure, you never know!

How many weeks are you now KK? Hope baby has turned. Mine is def head down and I can really feel it, definite pressure down there and peeing loads. Do you feel like that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Awh thanks Murdy ur so ggod. No I don't have the pressure down there but strangely I did have pressure a few weeks ago. My breathing has gotten so much better now again too.Hows ur breathing now? Have an app with consultant next week. Is it true that at appointment if its after 34/35 wks if baby is still breech they give u a preliminary date for a c section??

Wow Bluesky- ur boys are really great weights. How far along are you? I'd love to know what weight my baba is now. The rolls and aquirms and kicks tonight are unbelievable. I cannot wait now I'm getting so excited but also feel I've lots to do.

I think that us true about breech babies. I think in holles st if your baby is breech you get a scheduled c section at 37 weeks. In a way it'd be nice to have a date like that but probably better not to have to get one :)

That's brilliant the twins such good weight u won't mind when hav go now that was great news. I got my ball and just sitting on it it's good for relieving back and making baby kick since sitting ;)

They all lovely names.

Girl In work was talking bout breastfeeding and it seems very hard at start but be great. Think only problem will be trying manage all visitors that want to call and the feeding without offending. This is first baby in both families and everyone so excited ! Great to hav such good family bit we will need our space aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I think that us true about breech babies. I think in holles st if your baby is breech you get a scheduled c section at 37 weeks. In a way it'd be nice to have a date like that but probably better not to have to get one :)

Hope ye dont mind me gate crashing from the may thread :)
    Just wanted to say- my little one was breech last time - she only flipped breech at 37 weeks- i was with holles st - but they section you at 39 weeks. they are happy that the risk of you going into labour before that is low and at 39 weeksthe baby is fully mature and its lungs have had enough time to make sure there shouldnt be any probs - while 37 weeks is term - they babies can sometimes struggle with the breathing a little then so they try to keep them in as long as possible!
    With the breech baby i never got a huge amount of pressure down low - i kinda felt the same at 39 weeks as i did at 35 etc - except fatter ;)
    this time around its mad different cos of the pressure - im 38 weeks now and wondering about the baby engaging - but they say second and subsequest babies mostly dont drop until your actually in labour! Whereas first babies tend to drop 2-4 weeks before the birth. but in mycase as she was breech she never dropped - just hung around my ribs until she was rudely evicted :) I should have known then she was gonna be a trouble maker!! hehe!
    Hope that helped anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

DoubleB wrote: »
    . My plan is to breastfeed if possible for as long as I feel its working out and to supplement with one formula feed as last feed at night, from 2-3wks on. Apparently this can help the babs sleep longer at night as they stay fuller for longer and eliminates one night feed??! My friend does this at the moment with her little boy and she said it works a dream. Have heard it from a few people. Then again if the breastfeeding thing doesnt work out I wont be getting caught up on it either as an upset and distressed Mammy is no good to babsers!!

this is exactly what I did with my 2 boys. It worked out perfectly.

Thanks for the info! I was sure it was 37 weeks so interesting that it's 39 weeks. My lil one has been head down for a while but there has been a serious amount of squirming this evening and something very hard at the top of the bump so now I'm worried he's turned around. Oh well, I'll find out at my next appointment. I really don't want a c section if possible :)

DoubleB wrote: »

Wow Bluesky- ur boys are really great weights. How far along are you? I'd love to know what weight my baba is now. The rolls and aquirms and kicks tonight are unbelievable. I cannot wait now I'm getting so excited but also feel I've lots to do.

I'm 33+3 DoubleB. Doc had said anything after 34 weeks with identical twins is a bonus. I have a feeling I might go at 35 weeks, she definitely isn't going to let me go to 37 weeks as originally planned. I've had the steroid injections for their lungs which is good. Just need to make sure I have everything in the hospital bag.

Breastfeeding is ok at the start and once you and the babs get the hang of latching on its a breeze. But I found it weird with my first, I mean it is odd having them used for feeding when thats not what they've been used for up to now! :) It can feel strange and no one mentions that to you either. I'll admit with the first for a bit I found it confusing when she was feeding but you get over it.

DoubleB I think that's the best way for everyone to approach it, had to give into my second and give him a bottle cause at one point he was feeding every hour :O, not sleeping and did not have the patience to take from the boob. I was disappointed but boss man was happy so who cares - he also then went on solids then and sleep became (a little) less of an issue.

• Advertisement

Oh my god blue sky u could be less two weeks so exciting!!!!
    Identical twins its so magical! U must be do excited now!

Advertisement