Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Lucky thing! People have told me I don't look any different, but I KNOW my thighs are bigger than before...hope it won't take too long for them to go back down!

Have to write 2 papers this week. Not motivated in the least.
    Poor murdy- that sounds awful! I was lucky that I didn't get much morning sickness- just a couple of weeks feeling sort of hangoverish. Making up for it now??

Was feeling a little anxious about the BH- doesn't it mean baby is slightly more likely to come in the next few weeks? Hope not!

Oh, I hadn't heard that about the Brixton hicks! My pregnant book said it's common, happens from 20 weeks and is just your body getting ready :)

Good luck with assignments. I can't imagine having to use my brain like that at the moment. It's like jelly. Fair play to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

My pregnancy book is fantastic- I wanted one that goes a little more technical on the medical side than the usual kind (as I'm used to pharmacy 'jargon', I like in-depth explanation of things).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Pregnancy-Week-Lesley-Regan/dp/1405348798

It goes into some detail, but not too much- and gives references should I want to look up something in more detail. For example regarding BH it does say that they get a lot more common after 30 weeks- because baby IS coming in a matter of weeks (10...)!

Totally recommend that book. I'm thinking of buying it- just borrowed it from the library and ahem, kept renewing it...

Sounds good! I have what to expect when you're expecting and your pregnancy bible and they've been so handy. I want to get what to expect, the first year as well. Might go look it up now!

That 'What to Expect in the First Year' sounds good- does anyone else have it?

Does anyone have stretch marks yet? I don 't but I'm big into the bio oil! Just wondering if they're on the way, is it something that happens later in pregnancy?

Paperclipgrad - I was just looking up buying that book on the book depository (best place to buy books btw!) and it recommended I buy a book on how to survive my first year of marriage. I didn 't realise you needed manual for that, just bizarre. Tempted to get it for my husband for the laugh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Yes murdy, I am covered in them from the first 2! Bio oil wasn't around back then so what I had were silvery, didn't bother me a bit. Noticed yesterday that they are reddening again :( Thats probably why my tummy skin is a bit more sensitive. Am using the bio oil aswell but can't say I find it much good, aside from the whole comfort angle!

Not sure when they should appear but as most of the expanding is in the 3rd trimester it makes sense that they will appear from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Hi, due my 5th on June 19 th. Have that book you are looking for that I no longer need if you want pm your address andI will post it to you. Having Bh recently and severe back pain. Hyperemesis also making an unwelcome return these days!

Boo! Don't want to end up like a zebra :) still I can see myself expanding every day so it's to be expected I suppose.

apparently you can tell if you'll get them by your mother, you're more likely to get them if your mum did. I asked and she said she did but I don 't remember ever noticing them on her so I guess they do fade. Are yours very noticeable when not pregnant? I find the bio oil comforting too!

proulx wrote: »
    Hi, due my 5th on June 19 th. Have that book you are looking for that I no longer need if you want pm your address andI will post it to you. Having Bh recently and severe back pain. Hyperemesis also making an unwelcome return these days!

Wow, that's lovely of you , very generous. Will send you a message now. Reassuring that you are on your 5th, it must not be too bad!

Sorry to hear about the hyperemesis returning, that's one of my biggest fears. It was just the most awful time. Hope it clears up soon :)

Murdy - I was 17 when I had my first and apparently the younger (ie a teen) you are the worse they can be. They got fainter and fainter as the years went by and it never bothered me to wear a bikini. But yes I have them on my side (and I just measured with a ruler!) and they are 1 cm wide and long still silver. they come up as far as my belly button, my mother or sister aren't as bad as me. With my second I only got a small extension to one of them!

• Advertisement

aknitter wrote: »
    Murdy - I was 17 when I had my first and apparently the younger (ie a teen) you are the worse they can be. They got fainter and fainter as the years went by and it never bothered me to wear a bikini. But yes I have them on my side (and I just measured with a ruler!) and they are 1 cm wide and long still silver. they come up as far as my belly button, my mother or sister aren't as bad as me. With my second I only got a small extension to one of them!

That's funny, you'd think the younger you are the better! That doesn't sound too bad though. They're like a badge of motherhood i suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

grrrrrrrr had reply written n lost it!!!

Murdy- Yes I have that book and it is quite good as far as I've read. Going to get into it tonight in case this babs decides to arrive early. Dr told me head is down and 'ready to go' however he knew that from feeling my tummy! Only 32 wks this wk so better stay put another while.
    Also, on the stretch marks. Yes I have lots- a beautiful purple shade!!! Hips are covered small few on tummy and lots on inner thigh up near private area.

Paperclip I get lots of what I think are Braxton Hicks. Feels like a tightening sensation, uncomfortable and belly goes hard. No pain with it thou. Often get a shooting stabbing pain in my vagina or bum(sorry tmi).

Dr strongly suggested I finish work soon. Was surprised actually but am starting to think I should. How many of ye are still working? Those who are not working, do you find the days/ time dragging?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm getting loads of Brixton hicks too, they're not painful but uncomfortable enough to stop me in my tracks sometimes! Still, I guess it's just body getting ready for the big day :)

Am 30 weeks today and also feel huge but I know I'm not! I keep getting told how neat I am and that from the back or if my belly is hidden I don't look pregnant. I feel like a cow with big udders though!

Feeling great for getting to 30 weeks. In those awful days of hyperemesis it seemed so distant and i felt like I wouldn't survive this long (melodramatic, I know but the puking really was awful!) a friend of the family had bad hyperemesis and she had her baby 12 weeks ago. She said labour was nothing compared to the sickness so I'm feeling positive.

Anyone heard from Blueskye at all? She's gone quiet and I know she was really sick with heartburn and vomiting

Hi girls, haven't been posting much but have been keeping up with everyone :-) How are you all doing?

I can't believe we're so close. I'm grand, 33 weeks today so 4 weeks tomorrow til my section, unless something happens in the meantime. Got a bit of a fright last week with a lot of pain, cramping at night but turns out I just had a UTI so on antibiotics. Have seriously slowed down, my bump has really expanded so just trying to take it easy. People were telling me I was neat for twins until about a week ago and now people are commenting on the size of the bump :D Now you'd know I'm having twins I'd say.

No stretch marks as yet, really hoping I get lucky there. Another big scan Thurs so will get the babies weights again hopefully.

A friend of mine lent me her "What to expect in the first year", I must dig it out and have a look at it. I ordered some nice parenting books online so looking forward to them arriving soon. They were recommended by child psychologists and I can pass on the names if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Good to hear from U Bluesky and glad you are well. Sorry to hear about UTI, hope antibiotics help. Were u told to drink cranberry juice too? Supposed to be good for clearing UTI I think I remember. Not long for you left then- so exciting. I keep telling myself I'm going to go early too but I really have nothing to base it on. I'd be very interested to hear the names of the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I'm finished work DoubleB, but that's really due to carrying identical twins and being exhausted. I've been off 3 or 4 weeks now and am finding it no problem filling my days. Thought I'd be bored to tears but I haven't been. I recommend it :-) If your doc is recommending finishing up, I'd go for it. After a week of being off I realised just how stressed and tired I had been.

No, just told to drink plenty of fluids. From what I have read, cranberry juice is great at preventing kidney infections but not much good once they've started. I'm much better today though. I was having a lot of pain at night which I thought might just be normal for this stage of pregnancy but doc sent me to hospital for scan and ctg incase it was early labour. Thankfully not.

I'm getting a lot of BH's too but they're not painful, just weird.

Here are the books:

Your baby is speaking to you
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0547242956/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i08?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Touchpoints: birth to three
    http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0738210498/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i06?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Child in mind
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/073821485X/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DoubleB, I've been off work for 7 weeks and the days def don't drag, I'm not bored at all. There's always stuff to do, people to meet and the house is properly run now! Everything is properly organised now. Am also able to rest enough to keep myself well and not puking and i can cook proper meals now, including meals for the freezer for when bubs is here. It's made such a difference to my well being so I reckon go for it if you are in a position to finish early!

Blueskye, glad you're ok but uti doesn't sound like fun! I feel a bit like I'm getting one sometimes but it always seems to due down with lots of water and peeing. Can't believe your section is in 4 weeks, madness! Make sure you let us know how you get on :)

Interesting about stretch marks, sounds like they'll be along in the next few weeks. Will keep an eye out!!

DoubleB wrote: »

Paperclip I get lots of what I think are Braxton Hicks. Feels like a tightening sensation, uncomfortable and belly goes hard. No pain with it thou. Often get a shooting stabbing pain in my vagina or bum(sorry tmi).?

I get the same, I'm putting it down to the baby moving!

I also have stretch marks on my upper thighs and going down to pubis! After a while you don't notice them!

I also get the tightening when I stand up quickly or if I move around more than usual. No stretch marks here yet (yay!) but I already had some from when I lost a lot of weight as a teenager. Also an interesting observation that you're more likely to get them the younger you have kids- I'm 28, so hopefully I've missed the optimum stretch mark time! :D

When my husband was putting the bio oil on me last night he told me I had loads of stretch marks under my bump where I couldn't see them. I Panicked and got a mirror out and it turned out to be the marks from where the band at the top of my pyjama bottoms had been! Silly man :)

Slept really well last night for a change - it's amazing what getting a normal nights sleep can do for you!

Hahaha, sounds like something my husband would say too. :) In fact I think he did say something like that, only it was above the bump where my band of my leggings are.

I hear ya on the sleeping, for the last couple of nights I haven't really woken up, but haven't gotten a good sleep and am wrecked and cranky in the morning, not my usual self at all! I'm usually the sunshine wake up, happy morning girl. Maybe it's the baby kicking at night, stopping me from going into the deep cycles, I did notice that I get more dreams these days than usual, so maybe that's it?

• Advertisement

Hahaha, sounds like something my husband would say too. :) In fact I think he did say something like that, only it was above the bump where my band of my leggings are.

I hear ya on the sleeping, for the last couple of nights I haven't really woken up, but haven't gotten a good sleep and am wrecked and cranky in the morning, not my usual self at all! I'm usually the sunshine wake up, happy morning girl. Maybe it's the baby kicking at night, stopping me from going into the deep cycles, I did notice that I get more dreams these days than usual, so maybe that's it?

Probably - Hormones do make your dreams more vivid apparently and the kicking can be really disruptive too! I've been sleeping full nights but very disturbed sleep so it's nice to wake up not feeling groggy today!

I look forward to that...at least it's giving us a chance to adjust to less sleep before baba comes??
    I've been limiting myself to one small cup of coffee a day, but today I'm tempted to make an extra one...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

I slept ok yest too and makes big difference. Find I don't sleep at weekends the most. Back in work after day off and really finding it a push at moment.

Class was good yest. She got us to sit on balls and it really does reduce the back pain and tension. Going get one this week as only €15! She said we all bring in ball to hospital when in labour. She also advised on labour positions and said not go hospital until contractions 5 min apart unless waters break.
    I feel bit calmer bout birth even though parts where scary enough. I didnt bring partner but most people did and i was sorry afterwards.

I hav no stretch marks yet! I am 25 and how dont he them now! I am
    Gone so big even in width and legs! I just can't wait now o feel less big and awkward again. I really find new shape impossible to dress well or feel good about .

I'm going to get a ball today as well! €10 in argos at the moment for 65cm one. :) We were told the labour ward does have them but you can bring your own so I'd rather get one of my own.

I felt so much better after classes as well, a lot of the uncertainty was taken away and I felt more in control!

So has anyone hear read about the Lamaze/Bradley methods? My mother (american) is a massive fan of the Lamaze method and used it for all 6 of us...my sister in law (also american) advocates the Bradley method.....

So has anyone hear read about the Lamaze/Bradley methods? My mother (american) is a massive fan of the Lamaze method and used it for all 6 of us...my sister in law (also american) advocates the Bradley method.....

I was born in America. My parents went to Lamaze classes when my mum was pregnant with me. She said it was crap! She did have a pretty traumatic birth with me though so that might have contributed to it :)

we're discussing breathing at our class this week so I'll see what the midwife says about it all. I'm keeping an open mind!

Great, let me know what they say!

A good night sleep is worth its weight in gold! I find I can't get a proper sleep either, between getting up to pee and trying to get into a comfortable position. I am exhausted, went to a toddler group today and I don't know why but it really took it out of me today! Might be the heat in the room.

Gym balls are great and I was told to just try and breath as normally as possible through the contractions (I wonder if being asthmatic has anything to do with it?).

I'd love a back message actually only problem is I'd roll like a gym ball on my belly these days!

I hear you can get pregnancy massages with a hole cut out of the massage bed for your bump. :) I just ask himself to give me a backrub, he's getting really good at them. :D

• Advertisement

I have a voucher for a pregnancy massage, I must book in for it. Thanks for reminding me ladies!!

Walked a lot today and am in agony, feel like my pelvis is on fire. No more walking for me for a while. Don't know what this baby is doing to me but I'm waddling around like I have arthritis!

Just had an antenatal app with my GP, everything is fine with me and baby. I asked him about whooping cough vaccine, in case anyone is interested. He doesn't like giving anything to pregnant women and said he didn't think it was worth it, weighing up the risks. He said there were cases in jan and feb but none in our area since and as baby will be born in summer he didn't think the risk was worth it.

Advertisement