Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatton v Senchenko

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Henno30 wrote: »
    Judges had it 78-74, 77-76, 77-76 for Hatton.

What a bunch of gob****es they are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

imo your talking utter poo poo, a hard body shot is sickening, you lose your breath and the pain is a killer, he rolled around on the ground after,

Yeah I know, believe me I've had a few. Maybe it was the real deal. Then again I'd be rolling on the ground too if I'd just been beaten by someone I would have taken out easily in my prime.
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    Gene Tunney, very surprised at that post you are a long time poster in this forum, baffled you would think that

A good quality bodyshot can suck all of the air out of you. It can physically sicken you

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

ebbsy wrote: »
    What a bunch of gob****es they are then.

Indeed. But it was always going to take a stoppage for Senchenko to win in front of such a partisan crowd. No way in hell the judges were going to score it any other way.

Both Woodhall and Darke were basically watching a different fight as well from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

I was watching it in a pub where I couldn't hear the sound and I certainly have no issues with the 77-76 scores in Hatton's favour.
    From memory, after 5 rounds, although Hatton was beginning to get hit more regularly and was getting more and more ragged, I hadn't given Senchenko any of the rounds (possibly one even round, can't remember which). I gave him everything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I hope that Ricky Hatton is alright... He's one of the few boxer that I like listening to.. He's got an honesty about him, not the usual hot air that you normally get from boxers..

When I hear him being interviewed he almost seems Irish to me, or like one of our own... Anyway I hope can find some way of living a full life outside of the ring, whether it be punditry / coaching etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,019 ✭✭✭✭walshb

megadodge wrote: »
    I was watching it in a pub where I couldn't hear the sound and I certainly have no issues with the 77-76 scores in Hatton's favour.
    From memory, after 5 rounds, although Hatton was beginning to get hit more regularly and was getting more and more ragged, I hadn't given Senchenko any of the rounds (possibly one even round, can't remember which). I gave him everything after that.

I only saw the first 5 rds and I had Hatton ahead by two or three, so I can't see what would be bizarre with Hatton being ahead after 8, or level. Hatton looked well off right from the start. I saw it in his training. BTW, how did rds 6, 7 and 8 go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Danye

worried for hatton now, interview in the guardian there he was talking bout serious depression and sucidal stuff. Hasnt got the family support just the missus. When you see bruno getting institusionilised and foreman coming back at 50 odd. Seems they cant fill the void, but with ricky he's ridiculously critical of himself regardless of what any tells him.
    Great entertainer over the years all the same
    magherakid wrote: »
    Very distressing situation for Ricky hope he come's out of this the right way
    weemcd wrote: »
    Very depressing for Hatton there, was horrible watching that interview after the fight, didn't think the journo handled it well either. The way he said I'm just so sick of losing was very hard for him to even say it, it pained me to look at his face and the disappointment. He was close to the scorecards. Who had him winning and who had him losing?

Home town and the type of fight it was, he could have won. He did gas terribly though, I thought Senchenko looked terrible, he is a very pedestrian fighter, a real dangerous Welter would have lit Hatton up in that fight, and earlier.

I wouldn't say Hatton embarrassed himself tonight, he won his fair share of rounds.
    Feel bad for Hatton, he'll almost certainly go off the rails now.

Only saw the final round. Body shot was decent but Hatton quit. He knew he was finished even if he got up. Mentally it was too much. Won a few quid off the bookies which is a nice touch. Also lol at Sen coming in wearing man u jersey

Without coming across as having a holier than thou attitude, this is one of the reasons I'm not a massive fan of pro boxing at times. A man who has had his day in the ring is allowed comeback after 3 years out as well as having his fair share of well documented personal problems, class A drug problems can go and just get back into the ring without any great concern shown for him and his well being.

As long as people (promoters & managers) are getting paid and people entertained, who cares about the fighters. It's wrong and shouldn't happen.
    Big Ears wrote: »

Ideally he'd give it up for good now, but if he really wanted to go out with a win, I wouldn't mind one more fight with a fighter from a few levels below. Just as long as a win wouldn't encourage him to fight on after that.

The only problem I feel with that is if he was to win his next bout he might start thinking "Maybe there is another win in me" which can commonly occur with boxers as has been shown down through the years.

He's had his time and shouldn't get back into the ring in a fighting capacity.

I think a training / coaching / mentoring role would be great for him. He could give something back and it might give him a bit of direction and pass on what he has learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,019 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hatton's problem is that the fans will still pay to see him. It's quite sad. Hatton is fooling himself. The fans are just incapable of seeing it. I bet that the arena would again be filled in 6 months if Hatton fought. On the one hand I so admire Hatton's courage to get in there under that pressure after a layoff, but on the other hand I think he's deceiving the public and conning his own fans.

I paid to see the fight. Hey, maybe I'm a fool too, but it was a more for a night in. I was not one expecting Hatton to be anything good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

RedPeppers wrote: »
    The fight night is only available on television from pay-per-view channel Primetime, which is available on Sky channel 498 €17.95

ILEMI.BZ IS A LEGAL SPORTS CHANNEL AND ITS FREE I WATCHED THE HATTAN FIGHT ON THIS CHANNEL ,THE WHOLE BILL WAS LIVE MAKE A NOTE OF IT,FOR ALL SPORTS

Danye wrote: »
    Without coming across as having a holier than thou attitude, this is one of the reasons I'm not a massive fan of pro boxing at times. A man who has had his day in the ring is allowed comeback after 3 years out as well as having his fair share of well documented personal problems, class A drug problems can go and just get back into the ring without any great concern shown for him and his well being.

As long as people (promoters & managers) are getting paid and people entertained, who cares about the fighters. It's wrong and shouldn't happen.

The only problem I feel with that is if he was to win his next bout he might start thinking "Maybe there is another win in me" which can commonly occur with boxers as has been shown down through the years.

He's had his time and shouldn't get back into the ring in a fighting capacity.

I think a training / coaching / mentoring role would be great for him. He could give something back and it might give him a bit of direction and pass on what he has learned.

I understand where you're coming from and boxing history is littered with unfortunate boxers being forced into comebacks, but that is not the situation here.

For starters Ricky Hatton is very wealthy. There are no money issues here. It has more to do with his mindset. From reading numerous interviews with him since his comeback announcement there seem to be two things that made him come back.

1. He didn't want to leave the sport on that devastating KO loss to Pacquiau. It was a very hard way to be remembered (in some eyes) for a fiercely proud warrior and he just couldn't forget it. That's just the way the super-competitive people at world class level are. He's not like the rest of people who can let things go. That's the attitude that got them there in the first place.

2. He missed the ring. Simple as that. He spent the better part of 25 years boxing, boxing, boxing. Then nothing. He had no routine, no reason to get out of the bed in the morning, no interests in life except drinking, etc. In other words he's like countless other people over the years you meet in everyday life who find retirement from their jobs very hard to cope with. He needed something to focus on and when he got involved in coaching youngsters again it got him back into the regular routine of training again and the next logical step (before he got too old) was to come back.

I agree with you though that he needs to stick with the coaching. It will give him that focus he needs, now that he knows he no longer has it himself. Hopefully he can get over last night's loss and gets the support he needs from friends and family. I couldn't hear his interview last night, but it was plain as day from his body language and facial expressions that the poor guy was devastated. Enjoy your retirement Ricky.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Hatton's problem is that the fans will still pay to see him. It's quite sad. Hatton is fooling himself. The fans are just incapable of seeing it. I bet that the arena would again be filled in 6 months if Hatton fought. On the one hand I so admire Hatton's courage to get in there under that pressure after a layoff, but on the other hand I think he's deceiving the public and conning his own fans.

I paid to see the fight. Hey, maybe I'm a fool too, but it was a more for a night in. I was not one expecting Hatton to be anything good.

How exactly was he deceiving anybody?
    Even though I was against his comeback in the first place the actual fight last night was a good fight. Plenty of action. That's what the fans pay for. I don't think anybody who paid for it could feel shortchanged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

moneymad wrote: »
    Hatton will kill this guy. You lads are off your heads thinking anything else is even remotely possible. Hilarious some of the comments on here.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement