Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatton v Senchenko

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

worried for hatton now, interview in the guardian there he was talking bout serious depression and sucidal stuff. Hasnt got the family support just the missus. When you see bruno getting institusionilised and foreman coming back at 50 odd. Seems they cant fill the void, but with ricky he's ridiculously critical of himself regardless of what any tells him.
    Great entertainer over the years all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

x PyRo wrote: »
    Gutted for Ricky. He sounded like a broken man in that interview, talking about not being a failure and so on. He really needs to get himself some help, sadly.

Very distressing situation for Ricky hope he come's out of this the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Judges had it 78-74, 77-76, 77-76 for Hatton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Can't help but feel sorry for him, listening to his post match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Very depressing for Hatton there, was horrible watching that interview after the fight, didn't think the journo handled it well either. The way he said I'm just so sick of losing was very hard for him to even say it, it pained me to look at his face and the disappointment. He was close to the scorecards. Who had him winning and who had him losing?

Home town and the type of fight it was, he could have won. He did gas terribly though, I thought Senchenko looked terrible, he is a very pedestrian fighter, a real dangerous Welter would have lit Hatton up in that fight, and earlier.

I wouldn't say Hatton embarrassed himself tonight, he won his fair share of rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Hatton looked terrible, even in the opening rounds. It was just Senchenko's lack of ability on the backfoot that even made those rounds look somewhat close.

Senchenko was brought in because he can't punch, and there'll be no risk of Hatton getting KO'd... someone who could punch off the backfoot would have KO'd that version of Hatton in the first round.

Also, what he said about that 'being expected' of his timing for his first fight back, kind of worries me for his health and safety...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Sorry to see Hattan go down but for a start off, he started far to fast for someone who has been out 3 years and he could have taken a lesser opponent than he did, his timing was way off also the longer it lasted made this very clear
    a match with someone at british or european level should have been the way he went and take it from there,i am sure Hattan will give up thoughts of a comeback now he had a great career and nothing to be ashamed of either i wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Kev M wrote: »
    Hatton looked terrible, even in the opening rounds. It was just Senchenko's lack of ability on the backfoot that even made those rounds look somewhat close.

Senchenko was brought in because he can't punch, and there'll be no risk of Hatton getting KO'd... someone who could punch off the backfoot would have KO'd that version of Hatton in the first round.

Also, what he said about that 'being expected' of his timing for his first fight back, kind of worries me for his health and safety...

If you look at Senchenko's record you will see he had plenty of ko wins, no one would have got up from that shot

barney4001 wrote: »
    Sorry to see Hattan go down but for a start off, he started far to fast for someone who has been out 3 years and he could have taken a lesser opponent than he did, his timing was way off also the longer it lasted made this very clear
    a match with someone at british or european level should have been the way he went and take it from there,i am sure Hattan will give up thoughts of a comeback now he had a great career and nothing to be ashamed of either i wish him well

He's probably better off in the long run, in physical terms at least. Had he ended up in the ring with a heavy handed opponent he could have been badly ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Feel bad for Hatton, he'll almost certainly go off the rails now.

Only saw the final round. Body shot was decent but Hatton quit. He knew he was finished even if he got up. Mentally it was too much. Won a few quid off the bookies which is a nice touch. Also lol at Sen coming in wearing man u jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I knew once the fight went past 6-7 rds that Hatton could be in trouble. Senchenko is very average. Hatton should be forcibly retired.

walshb wrote: »
    I knew once the fight went past 6-7 rds that Hatton could be in trouble. Senchenko is very average. Hatton should be forcibly retired.

I thought he was getting tagged a lot from the start to be honest, but he really started to deteriorate from the 5th onward. Senchenko's poor balance was making it look like he was landing some big shots himself when he was landing precious little for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Feel bad for Hatton, he'll almost certainly go off the rails now.

Only saw the final round. Body shot was decent but Hatton quit. He knew he was finished even if he got up. Mentally it was too much. Won a few quid off the bookies which is a nice touch. Also lol at Sen coming in wearing man u jersey

I don't believe there is anything Hatton wanted to do more at that point in time than get up, he simply couldn't.
    Hopefully Hatton gets the support to get through this.
    Ideally he'd give it up for good now, but if he really wanted to go out with a win, I wouldn't mind one more fight with a fighter from a few levels below. Just as long as a win wouldn't encourage him to fight on after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Agree with all the comments about his mental state. I think his biggest fight will be what happens to him outside the ring... worrying interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Cheers to the lad with the shout out earlier for Hatton to lose by KO at 5/1. Had a tenner on that and a tenner for him to lose in rounds 7, 8 or 9 @ 18.00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

GRMA wrote: »
    Cheers to the lad with the shout out earlier for Hatton to lose by KO at 5/1. Had a tenner on that and a tenner for him to lose in rounds 7, 8 or 9 @ 18.00

I did same rounds 5-7, once it got to the 9th I didn't think the KO was coming and expected the decision, knockdown surprised me, still up for the ko. But I'm not too happy about it tbh, feel bad for Hatton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

sky sports, hatton retires

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

sky sports, hatton retires

No one on Sky Sports has said that. I'm watching sky news with the last 30 mins and anytime they have spoken about Hatton they never said anything about him confirming his retirement, only that they would be speaking with him tomorrow morning. Nothing on the website either.

deisedevil wrote: »
    No one on Sky Sports has said that. I'm watching sky news with the last 30 mins and anytime they have spoken about Hatton they never said anything about him confirming his retirement, only that they would be speaking with him tomorrow morning. Nothing on the website either.
    read it again all over the screen,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Retirement confirmed on SSN rolling banner. Right decision just hope he doesn't launh again in a year with some excuse about trainer or something. He was exciting in his day but needs to let go and move on.

• Advertisement

i said sky sports not sky news, 405, i think the floods in the south of england is for sky news

i said sky sports not sky news, 405, i think the floods in the south of england is for sky news

Sky sports news is what I meant and well you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Sky sports news is what I meant and well you know it. No mention of any confirmation of Hatton retiring. Your hearing things.

More proof here, plus its on sky sports news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/24/ricky-hatton-defeat-vyacheslav-senchenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Sky sports news is what I meant and well you know it.

It was on the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Sky sports news is what I meant and well you know it. No mention of any confirmation of Hatton retiring. Your hearing things.

are you pisse* drunk or just blind, its all over the screen, do you expect sky to do live interviews on a fight they did not show, its 12;39am,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Big Ears wrote: »
    I don't believe there is anything Hatton wanted to do more at that point in time than get up, he simply couldn't.
    Hopefully Hatton gets the support to get through this.
    Ideally he'd give it up for good now, but if he really wanted to go out with a win, I wouldn't mind one more fight with a fighter from a few levels below. Just as long as a win wouldn't encourage him to fight on after that.

I have my doubts. All he had to do was get up and the bell would ring and he'd have a minute to recover. It's different with a head shot if you can't physically get up. Body shots are more about heart IMO. I always think of Gatti getting up after that body shot in the 9th round of the first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If ye would indulge me i would like to use a boxing phrase - exits in boxing are rarely graceful.

Ricky was blocking those shots with his head, never looked like winning apart from a few early bursts. I wish him the best but he needs to call a halt to this now.

I have my doubts. All he had to do was get up and the bell would ring and he'd have a minute to recover. It's different with a head shot if you can't physically get up. Body shots are more about heart IMO. I always think of Gatti getting up after that body shot in the 9th round of the first fight.

imo your talking utter poo poo, a hard body shot is sickening, you lose your breath and the pain is a killer, he rolled around on the ground after,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Gene Tunney, very surprised at that post you are a long time poster in this forum, baffled you would think that

A good quality bodyshot can suck all of the air out of you. It can physically sicken you

• Advertisement

are you pisse* drunk or just blind, its all over the screen, do you expect sky to do live interviews on a fight they did not show, its 12;39am,

I never even seen it scrolling across the screen, had it on the iphone and was using laptop at the same time. They never mentioned it at any point and I couldn't understand how you thought that they had confirmed his retirement. Very sorry bout that, I look a right tit.

Advertisement