Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatton v Senchenko

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Yeah looks about right. He's not a complete waste of space but is very much beatable and if worst comes to worst and Hatton is struggling he won't get pummeled either. It should at least provide reasonable value for money to everyone that bought tickets without knowing who they were even going to see.

Quigg v Munroe on the undercard is decent enough too and will provide an interest for Frampton fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,706 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Malignaggi beat this guy to win a world belt. That says it all. Anyway, 3 years out and a bad lifestyle vs. an active pro? Hmm. Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Maybe ricky has bitten of more then he can chew here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ricky wasn't exactly a model pro even in his prime. He's still only 33 and if the fire's still in him this lad won't beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

well he has not picked an easy come back fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

barney4001 wrote: »
    well he has not picked an easy come back fight

Ya i think its a good fight to keep him focused, as to fighting a complete journeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

Ricky Hatton is a great character and has arguably the greatest fan base boxing has ever seen. Saying that his style is absolutely horrific, why people continue to praise such an excessive clincher as himself as "exciting" is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Ricky Hatton is a great character and has arguably the greatest fan base boxing has ever seen. Saying that his style is absolutely horrific, why people continue to praise such an excessive clincher as himself as "exciting" is beyond me

Jesus, that's way over the top altogether.

"Horrific"??? You haven't seen much boxing if you really believe that.

The worst holding (as opposed to 'clinching') I've ever seen in a Hatton fight was Floyd Mayweather in the first 5 rounds of their bout. If he wasn't American he'd most likely have been disqualified. 'Firm but fair' Joe Cortez my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

hatton wont beat senchenko first time back.....this fight is all wrong for the first one after a break like he's had....after an easier warm-up maybe, but hatton will be carrying more rust than the titanic.
    he's had 3 years where he hasnt been active....i dont mean boxing active, i mean not physically active at all...he's been 15 stone, taking coke, drinking guniness, fighting with family, etc.....a year ago he looked like an old man walking with arthritas....now he has lost weight his neck is wrinkled..he's aged.
    hatton wont be half the boxer he was...history shows that...34 is old for a welterweight....and he'll need to be more than half as good to beat senchenko, who isnt as bad as mallinaggi made him look.
    and hatton doesnt box like paulie..hatton will be in senchenko's face all the time, easy for senchenko to find...unlike paulie darting in and out...he is 8 inches taller than hatton, so while hatton is working the big target body (and dont expect hattons late-2012 body shots to have the same snap as 2007) senchenko can be leaning all over him and pushing him off.....i expect hatton to be blowing by round 6 and late in the fight senchenko will stop him handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

coolegrain wrote: »
    hatton wont beat senchenko first time back.....this fight is all wrong for the first one after a break like he's had....after an easier warm-up maybe, but hatton will be carrying more rust than the titanic.
    he's had 3 years where he hasnt been active....i dont mean boxing active, i mean not physically active at all...he's been 15 stone, taking coke, drinking guniness, fighting with family, etc.....a year ago he looked like an old man walking with arthritas....now he has lost weight his neck is wrinkled..he's aged.
    hatton wont be half the boxer he was...history shows that...34 is old for a welterweight....and he'll need to be more than half as good to beat senchenko, who isnt as bad as mallinaggi made him look.
    and hatton doesnt box like paulie..hatton will be in senchenko's face all the time, easy for senchenko to find...unlike paulie darting in and out...he is 8 inches taller than hatton, so while hatton is working the big target body (and dont expect hattons late-2012 body shots to have the same snap as 2007) senchenko can be leaning all over him and pushing him off.....i expect hatton to be blowing by round 6 and late in the fight senchenko will stop him handily.

Not quite 8 inches, more like 2.5, amazing how 2.5 inches can look like 8 to some lads. :D

• Advertisement

Paul-Malignaggi-Ricky-Hatton62.jpg

255_large.jpg

You post a lot of sense here. I am a wee bit worried for Hatton. 3 years inactive with a horrible lifestyle vs. an active pro. I still maintain that the sparring will be key for Hatton and this fight. It may not even go ahead if Hatton cannot perform in sparring.

and look at the protest old man hatton made against it...he's knows ricky is all done now and he fears for him

For the sake of boxing I think it's best if Hatton is well beaten here. What is one to think if Hatton can casually come back after three years inactivity and desperation and meet and beat an active former world champion, albeit a world champion who cannot beat Paulie Malignaggi. I always rooted for Ricky when he fought. I did overrate him, but fekt in his fights he out everything on the line.

there's another thing...i dont go along with the way a lot of boxing fans think mallinaggi is a poor champion, mainly based on his lack of power.
    he is one of the most skillful champions out there.

there's another thing...i dont go along with the way a lot of boxing fans think mallinaggi is a poor champion, mainly based on his lack of power.
    he is one of the most skillful champions out there.

Skillful in what way? He is a very weak excuse for a WW champion no matter what way you slice it. Not just his lack of power. He just has little to offer apart from slick feet and an awkward defense. A past it Hatton demolished him; Khan did too. Cotto did too.

I would still fancy a shot and inactive Hatton against Paulie, because Paulie has nothing to deter Hatton with, and he simply has not got the output to outwork Hatton. In saying this it's is only logical to label Paulie a weak champion. If Hatton does come back and beat him that is.

paulie wouldnt have got as far as competing at a level with the likes of cotto, hatton and khan without power unless he was skillful.....but you've give the example yourself, slick feet and arkward defense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

walshb wrote: »
    For the sake of boxing I think it's best if Hatton is well beaten here. What is one to think if Hatton can casually come back after three years inactivity and desperation and meet and beat an active former world champion, albeit a world champion who cannot beat Paulie Malignaggi. I always rooted for Ricky when he fought. I did overrate him, but fekt in his fights he out everything on the line.

People really go OTT with this 'for the sake of..' stuff. If he wins, he wins, nothing more. It's not exactly a secret that the vast majority of the world champions today and in recent years are incredibly average by classical standards.

What Hatton does or doesn't do has no effect on a system that's been off the hinges for decades.

Syferus wrote: »
    People really go OTT with this 'for the sake of..' stuff. If he wins, he wins, nothing more. It's not exactly a secret that the vast majority of the world champions today and in recent years are incredibly average by classical standards.

What Hatton does or doesn't do has no effect on a system that's been off the hinges for decades.

I suppose you're right, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

He lost to anyone of any real quality that he fought. Even by today's standards I think it's fair to say he's a poor champion (if you call everyone that holds a belt a champion)

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    He lost to anyone of any real quality that he fought. Even by today's standards I think it's fair to say he's a poor champion (if you call everyone that holds a belt a champion)

You speaking of Hatton here I assume?

His opponent was a former champ at WW. His resume stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

You speaking of Hatton here I assume?

His opponent was a former champ at WW. His resume stinks.

I'm talking about malignaggi, Hatton was a decent fighter who only lost to great fighters.

colly10 wrote: »
    I'm talking about malignaggi, Hatton was a decent fighter who only lost to great fighters.

I thought that after I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

If there are decent odds on Senchenko it would be worth taking them. Hatton's coordination after so little physical activity will be shot. He could be gone so far backwards it shocks even himself come fight night.
    He can make the weight, pound away on punch bags, bodybags, but when he gets in with a moving opponent who hits back it should be a step beyond where he is right now.
    Think of it like this Hatton has not even been jogging the last few years. He played in that celebrity football tournament (pretty sure that was after his last fight) and moved like Big Joe from accounting.
    All that extra weight and drinking plays hell with your legs as well. That will leave him with no speed in defence/attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

If there are decent odds on Senchenko it would be worth taking them. Hatton's coordination after so little physical activity will be shot. He could be gone so far backwards it shocks even himself come fight night.
    He can make the weight, pound away on punch bags, bodybags, but when he gets in with a moving opponent who hits back it should be a step beyond where he is right now.
    Think of it like this Hatton has not even been jogging the last few years. He played in that celebrity football tournament (pretty sure that was after his last fight) and moved like Big Joe from accounting.
    All that extra weight and drinking plays hell with your legs as well. That will leave him with no speed in defence/attack.

I would be guessing the boxers he spars with will be hitting back, but yes it will be a tough comeback,

he is a tough fighter, he wont win, but he will once again put up a good show, then retire, minding his pay take this time,

he was no slouch, yes a bit of a fool and wanting to be one of the lads, he should talk to Joe Calzaghe, the greatest boxer still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ivoryp

Personally I don't see Senchenko winning this fight.
    Hatton's come forward style of boxing is probably more amenable to a comeback than a more reflex dependent/ counter punching/ technical boxer.
    He will still be able to march forward, use the same amount of head movement etc.
    How do we quantify the effects of 3 years binging? V hard to measure. I actually think he will in some regards be in better shape than if he had endured another 3 years of boxing/sparring etc.
    It's the pressure of the comeback and if he takes his time in the first few rounds that will probably be more important than any of the other issues. This fight is Hatton's to lose rather than Senchenko's to win in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

There's a lot being made of the drink/drugs/fatness being an issue with how he would cope in this fight. Sure, they aren't going to help, but no matter how clean you live, when your style is based on high tempo pressure-fighting, 34 is not a good age. Particularly in lower weight divisions.
    he was no slouch, yes a bit of a fool and wanting to be one of the lads, he should talk to Joe Calzaghe, the greatest boxer still alive.

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

el flaco wrote: »
    There's a lot being made of the drink/drugs/fatness being an issue with how he would cope in this fight. Sure, they aren't going to help, but no matter how clean you live, when your style is based on high tempo pressure-fighting, 34 is not a good age. Particularly in lower weight divisions.

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or not?

Was gonna say the same..would imagine sugar ray leonard would have something to say on the subject.

ivoryp wrote: »
    Hatton's come forward style of boxing is probably more amenable to a comeback than a more reflex dependent/ counter punching/ technical boxer.
    He will still be able to march forward, use the same amount of head movement etc.
    How do we quantify the effects of 3 years binging? V hard to measure. I actually think he will in some regards be in better shape than if he had endured another 3 years of boxing/sparring etc.
    It's the pressure of the comeback and if he takes his time in the first few rounds that will probably be more important than any of the other issues. This fight is Hatton's to lose rather than Senchenko's to win in my opinion.

I see your point but I am inclined to think that we will see a noticeable deterioration in Hatton's stamina/workrate and sharpness, and durabilty. Hey, that still may see him win, as this guy really isn't great, but I wouldn't at all expect Hatton to be close to 2007/2008!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ivoryp

ivoryp wrote: »

I see your point but I am inclined to think that we will see a noticeable deterioration in Hatton's stamina/workrate and sharpness, and durabilty. Hey, that still may see him win, as this guy really isn't great, but I wouldn't at all expect Hatton to be close to 2007/2008!

I would expect deterioration in line with him now being 4 years older than 2008 definitely. It's the big deal about his lifestyle that I don't agree with fully.

I honestly see hatton winning this.

In fairness I have a low opinion of Senchenko. As i said elsewhere fighting an opponent with a 0-1 record in his 24th fight doesn't doesn't bode well for Senchenko in my mind.

I think the 10 round fight in the Manchester arena will suit Hatton. Time will tell I guess

Advertisement