Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What odd quirks do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

I have a bizarre fear of getting right up close to a mirror (checking if there's something in eye, for example) because I am convinced that someone will appear behind me and smash my face into it! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

So many, it borders on OCD sometimes:P

-When I get excited I excessively rub my hands together
    -I must put on my right sock on first, then the left one, it's the same with shoes.
    -I need to sleep with my head towards t hewindow, never the door. I'll rearrange the bed if needed.
    When I was younger I would repeat every sentance I said in a whisper(do not ask me why)
    -I have a habit of biting my lower lip real hard and my BF has recieved his fair share of bitemarks by now too.
    -I eat my dessert while I'm making dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    So many, it borders on OCD sometimes:P

-When I get excited I excessively rub my hands together
    -I must put on my right sock on first, then the left one, it's the same with shoes.
    -I need to sleep with my head towards t hewindow, never the door. I'll rearrange the bed if needed.
    When I was younger I would repeat every sentance I said in a whisper(do not ask me why)
    -I have a habit of biting my lower lip real hard and my BF has recieved his fair share of bitemarks by now too.
    -I eat my dessert while I'm making dinner.

I have so many habits it's not even funny.....:D

Must think of listing them!!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

i have ocd on a serious level. making a list could take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I'm not a lady but the thread is entertaining so thought I would reassure you that it's not just women that are strange(in this sense. :p)
    -I can't sleep facing the wall. Think this is from a fear of suffocating when I was a kid
    -Have to eat meat before chips/potatoes
    -Leave house, lock door, check handle to ensure it's locked, get in car, turn on car, go back and double/triple check door is locked
    - A number of times I've caught myself listing prime numbers in ascending order in my head

And 3 things people really can't understand from least to most weird
    -I prefer dry bread. I have butter on it when having sandwich or toast. But if just having a slice of bread, I don't take butter or anything on it
    -I eat cereal with only sugar on it. No milk
    -I like raw black pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I can't even partially cover a mirror do for example, if there is a mirror on the wardrobe door ill never hang anything in front of it... Dunno why - it just freaks me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

When meeting oncoming traffic I salute the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Actually a couple of people think this is odd.. If I'm eating a cream egg I bite the top off, eat the filling with a spoon and then eat the rest of the chocolate.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

oh wow i feel so normal and this is so much fun! haha

I can stand someone who has to clear their throat in front me...i gag and just cant look at them!

I cant go into a room with the lights on and the curtains open...there could be someone at the window peaking in!

I must drink my herbal tea from a travel mug (i dont drink tea on the run though, i just like to take an hour or so to drink it) I also have a work one.
    I only use my pink regular mug when i am in a hurry and want a quick fix, nothing else makes it taste right. No one can use my travel mug!!! and i sometimes share my pink one if my housemates get to it before me! :)
    And i certainly can NOT use disposable cups, the tea tastes of cardboard!

i dont like to use public toilets it just freaks me out, but im getting over that one, unfortunately when nature calls you sometimes have no choice, especially since i must drink 1.5 litres of tea a day!

I cant bare it when someone takes forever to do something like wash the dishes. Get it done quickly and then lets do something fun.

I must remove my makeup at night, i cant skip it, im a cleansing nut! I cant stand skin that is not clean and i must moisturise otherwise i feel my skin gets itchy as hell

when driving i have the seat pulled right up to the wheel and still manage to lean forward...i like to be aware of everything around me and that feeling of being too relaxed behind the wheel just doesnt work for me. even when i am 'relaxed' singing at the top of my lungs im still leaning forward haha

i cant drive without music either.

Oh... tea towels that you dont know how long they have been on the counter and especially damp tea towels, even if i myself just used it to dry the dishes. cant bare it!

Jesus i could go on but this has been kinda theraputic haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Neyite wrote: »
    I eat each part of my meal fully before moving onto the next, for instance, I'll eat all veggies #1, then veggies #2, then the meat, then the potatoes.

I dont put a bit of everything on the fork and eat that way.

I do this too, in the exact same order. I prefer to have the different items not touching each other either, and until recently I ate most dinners without sauce or gravy.

I mess with my rings a lot, and I fiddle with my hair when I'm talking to people.

After I wash my hands, I dry them completely, I can't stand to leave them damp at all. My dad does this too.

I'd rather be late for work or a lecture than not do my make up properly - it's a morning routine that sets me up for the day.

I love watching people ironing. It's usually quite a methodical process and I find it so relaxing to watch. Similarly, I enjoy ironing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I feel so much better having read all these!

I too have a particular thing with computer tab order. Especially when I'm in work. If it's not right, I close thing until I get it right (I have Windows 7 at home, but XP in work).

I talk to my car when I get lost or something, her name is Ella :o The previous car was Bella.

I have OCD about cleaning my ears, I have to do it once a day at least. I do it more if I'm tired or stressed, and I feel itchy and weird if I think about needing to do it and I'm not in a position to do so.

I can be bad for worrying about my hair straightener. I unplug it, then check it before I leave my room, and then again before I leave the house. I used to be worse thhough, and would often phone the house while on a bus/in work and ask someone to check it again (it automatically turns itself anyway and it always on a heatproof mat).

People who don't cover their mouths while they cough on a bus/train/luas/anywhere enclosed make me want to throttle them. It's nasty.

I prefer using a black pen for bulk writing but always have to write dates on the top of notes etc in red.

I talk to my pets a lot as well. I really honestly believe most of the time they can understand me, especially the dog.

When I eat a sandwich containg either bacon or cheese, I squish each section down with my fingers to flatten it out before I eat it. No idea why, I just do.

I'm sure there are more, but that's it for now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I feel so much better having read all these!

I too have a particular thing with computer tab order. Especially when I'm in work. If it's not right, I close thing until I get it right (I have Windows 7 at home, but XP in work).

I talk to my car when I get lost or something, her name is Ella :o The previous car was Bella.

I have OCD about cleaning my ears, I have to do it once a day at least. I do it more if I'm tired or stressed, and I feel itchy and weird if I think about needing to do it and I'm not in a position to do so.

I can be bad for worrying about my hair straightener. I unplug it, then check it before I leave my room, and then again before I leave the house. I used to be worse thhough, and would often phone the house while on a bus/in work and ask someone to check it again (it automatically turns itself anyway and it always on a heatproof mat).

People who don't cover their mouths while they cough on a bus/train/luas/anywhere enclosed make me want to throttle them. It's nasty.

I prefer using a black pen for bulk writing but always have to write dates on the top of notes etc in red.

I talk to my pets a lot as well. I really honestly believe most of the time they can understand me, especially the dog.

When I eat a sandwich containg either bacon or cheese, I squish each section down with my fingers to flatten it out before I eat it. No idea why, I just do.

I'm sure there are more, but that's it for now :P

I do this. All the time. I've been almost at work, and gone back to make sure I turned it off.

I talk to my animals all the time too but I don't think that's quirky or strange or anything, shur they're great listeners!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

And so non-judgemental!

Ooh and I also don't like stuff like beans touching my other food, and when eating dinner I do take turns with a little bit of everything UNLESS there is something on the plate I don't particularly like - in which case I eat that first to get it out of the way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

I think I open my eyes too wide and look a bit mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Oh this post makes me feel somewhat normal and not alone.

I also, have to fill and refill my glass of water from the tap three times before I drink it.

I have to brush my teeth with 2 different toothpastes before I go to bed...one for whitening and one for sparkly smiles!

I comb my hair about 10 times before I go to bed, taking it up and down out of the ponytail to recomb it again, to the point where my arms get sore.

I get up and down out of the bed at least 5 times to fix the pleats in the curtains when I'm convinced they won't fall correctly.

I am obsessed with the electric blanket...soon as I start falling asleep I have to turn over, switch on the light and check that I have turned it off...I do this several times a night.

I drink alot of water, but just before I switch off the light to go to sleep I have to have a mouthful that I don't swallow until my head is resting on the pillow.

Thats only 1 hour of my day :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yes, that's true. As a former barman it was always said that any lads and/or ladies that peeled off foil and labels had issues with sexual frustration.

I can bust this myth. It's a habit of mine and th compulsion remains the same regardless of how often I'm getting it.

Quirks...

Quoting the Simpsons as part of everyday language, including the voices. "This time..." "I. don't. know." "Pray for Mojo." etc.

I have a face I make when I drop an innuendo into conversation. When I'm using IM, I replace it with a sheep icon.

When I'm writing and I'm struggling to describe a gesture or an expression, I act it out over and over without realising it. I look like a right loon, apparently.

If I'm quoting someone else I have a voice for that. The voice has changed in pitch and tone over the years and it currently resides somewhere in or around the Groucho Marx zone. It's annoying me now, I need to change it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Also, when I'm daydreaming (which is often), I tend to stare at people. I'm not thinking about them or registering them in my brain at all but it freaks people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was walking from the bus last night in the rain, and there were 2 guys walking kinda fast behind me. But I had to stop myself and them to pick up a snail who was crossing the footpath, he would have been squished!

The two lads gave me some look :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I lean right forward in my seat, and sometimes rock back and forth, when driving up a hill. Like it's going to help me get up the hill:confused: Rattle the gearstick like mad to make sure I don't start the car in gear.
    I talk to myself and the trolley when shopping, as in "now we'll go down here for some biscuits":o
    Don't care if it's the coldest winter night, the bedroom window has to be open a bit in case I run out of air.
    When I hang out clothes, things like pyjama tops and bottoms have to hang beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I must sleep on the left of the bed. The cutlery has to be divided by type in the dishwasher. Other than that I think I'm pretty normal-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I haven't that many at all.

If I'm eating Jacob's Crackers, I must eat them in 6's (3 pairs). My mother commented on this last night. :o

I must add/multiply/divide/subtract the numbers on a number plate to make 27 or as close as. Dunno why.

I must always check my e-mail before opening Facebook. My sister thinks it ruins the element of surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I touch my face or bite my lip when I'm nervous or concentrating.

I make up songs with my dogs names or nick names in them and sing them to the relevant dog.

I worry, so so much, about people I care about, to the point of obsession. I have to make a huge effort to rationalise my fears if my husband or sister for example doesn't answer their phone or reply to a text message. I imagine all sorts of horrible things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I'm feeling all kinds of normal after reading through this thread :p
    The only one I have really is when I'm checking my bank balance online, I hold a piece of paper over the screen and read the balance from end to start, so I don't get the big shock all at once. It's like
    €325.
    60 Ok, I have 60 cent
    €32
    5.60 Ok, I have €5.60
    €3
    25.60 Ok, I have €25.60
    Yay I have €325.60! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have lots of little things I do that people in my life think wierd.

I get a bit huffy if the mug handles aren't facing the same way and the mugs are in the right combination in the cupboard. My first cup of tea in the morning has to be drunk out of one type of mug, but cups of tea for the rest of the day are from a different collection. (there's 3 mug types in the cupboard, the ones that my fiance uses, my morning ones and my rest of the day ones)

I always make sure all banknotes are turned the same way, in my wallet, if I'm handing them in to pay in a shop or a bank. My wallet needs to be organised. I almost lost the will to live when I was shopping with my niece yesterday and she took all her change, squashed up the change and the notes together and shoved them in her purse.

If there's a spider in the bath struggling to get out I won't lift it out, I case I frighten it. I put a toilet roll hanging over the side so they can escape at their leisure.

I have a thing for stripy tops. I can't stop buying them. Just regular jersey, mostly long sleeved tops in a rainbow of colours. I think I have about 25 tops in various colours, blues, navy ones, reds, greens, oranges, yellows, multicolours. I don't need them, I have far too many but somehow I can't stop myself. I bought two last week:o.

Unlike most people I know I don't like mood lighting. I hate lights that aren't strong enough, and really dislike sitting in a room where there's just side lamps on. I like to be able to see things. Staying in hotels drives me mad, they NEVER have enough light for me. It also drives my fiance mad, I want to sit in bright lights and he want's them off and just side lights on. Nothing wrong with my vision, I have 20/20, yet he wore glasses most of his life and got his eyes lasered a few years ago.

Can't sleep in a room with a wardrobe door open. And the bathroom door must be closed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I do the thing with the notes in my purse as well, the all have to face the same direction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I just noticed one. I make up songs and sing them to myself all the time, and often my dog too.

Like just now when I was getting dressed and the song was "There are robots in my ears today".

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

I can only drink fizzy drinks out of a can with a straw, I stick cotton buds in my ears every single day, I turn at least 50 times before I fall asleep, can't sleep with TV on & a new one is I can't sleep without my boyfriend rubbing my back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I get into arguments with automated checkouts.

Checkout:
    'Please take your items'

3 seconds later:
    'Please take your items'

Giselle:
    'I'm taking my bloody items! Get off my back, its been a long day!'

I hate taking orders from the stroppy satnav too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Giselle wrote: »
    I get into arguments with automated checkouts.

Checkout:
    'Please take your items'

3 seconds later:
    'Please take your items'

Giselle:
    'I'm taking my bloody items! Get off my back, its been a long day!'

I hate taking orders from the stroppy satnav too :)

Some day I'll hack somebody's satnav voices:

Old: "Turn left in 500m"
    New: "There's a left coming up soon"

Old: "Turn left in 300m"
    New: "Don't miss that turn now"

Old: "Turn left now"
    New: "Quick! This is the turn!"

Old: "At the roundabout, take the third exit"
    New: "Turn right at the roundabout"

Old: "Route recalculation"
    New: "Ah crap, I told you to pay attention, now I have to figure it all out again..."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have to challenge people's pre-conceptions. I'm sure it gets annoying at times but it's great fun...

Advertisement