Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What odd quirks do you have?

Options
  • 27-09-2012 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I always need to sleep on the side of the bed the furthest away from the door, if that makes sense. So at home I sleep on the right but in a hotel it could be either side depending where the door is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ellsbells wrote: »
    I always need to sleep on the side of the bed the furthest away from the door, if that makes sense. So at home I sleep on the right but in a hotel it could be either side depending where the door is.

Apparently that's instinctive, cave men slept closest the door to protect you from intruders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Hmm I'm the opposite... I like to sleep on the side closest to the door. But I always think of intruders coming in the window instead of the bedroom door for some reason! I'm also lazy and don't want to have to walk too far to go the toilet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating. I'm currently trying to break this habit, but its not happening for me. I keep on catching myself doing it and it is very embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating. I'm currently trying to break this habit, but its not happening for me. I keep on catching myself doing it and it is very embarrassing

Pretty sure this is genetic, my dad does it, I do it and my 2yr old has started it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Oh probably too many to mention.. I eat skittles in threes of the same colour, I have a "knitting face" - I kinda stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating.. I actually had a list of things, I'll think and reply later properly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I eat each part of my meal fully before moving onto the next, for instance, I'll eat all veggies #1, then veggies #2, then the meat, then the potatoes.

I dont put a bit of everything on the fork and eat that way.

Neyite I do that too but I always eat meat first, even when we're having curry.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I don't like my food touching. I like everything separate on the plate.

When filling a glass of water from the tap, I have to fill and empty it 3 times before drinking it.

I can't wear odd socks.

I can't sit down if there are dirty dishes or any clutter on the worktops.

I like symmetry. Far too much.

My cupboards look like supermarket shelves. I stock rotate and have labels facing the front.

I crack my knuckles. And my ankles and wrists. But never in company.

I twiddle my hair when I have to concentrate really hard.

I swirl my index finger around the tip of my thumb when I'm writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I stick out my tongue when I'm concentrating too.

I play with my earrings or earlobes when I'm uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Mostly unaware of my quirks until someone points them out. Yea, thanks for that.. I generally look like I'm frowning when my face is relaxed which kind of makes me come off as a bitch. I have a lot of nervous/ worried/ upset tell rale quirks; I bite my lower lip a lot, I click my thumb nail off my nails, I stroke the ends of my hair, play with my earrings, rub my left thumb off my engagement ring. Nothing too uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Oh probably too many to mention.. I eat skittles in threes of the same colour, I have a "knitting face" - I kinda stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating.. I actually had a list of things, I'll think and reply later properly.

I eat Skittles in order of colour, from light to dark. Purple being the darkest one, and my favourite!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Where to start :) I hate the sound of other people eating crunchy foods and have, on an odd occasion, had to leave the table until people have finished eating crisps. I also hate unexplained squeaks, rattles and small noises. I rub my feet together when I'm trying to fall asleep, didn't even realise I did this until my husband pointed it out! I also have a concentrating face it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I don't like my food touching. I like everything separate on the plate.

When filling a glass of water from the tap, I have to fill and empty it 3 times before drinking it.

I can't wear odd socks.

I can't sit down if there are dirty dishes or any clutter on the worktops.

I like symmetry. Far too much.

My cupboards look like supermarket shelves. I stock rotate and have labels facing the front.

I crack my knuckles. And my ankles and wrists. But never in company.

I twiddle my hair when I have to concentrate really hard.

I swirl my index finger around the tip of my thumb when I'm writing.

I'm the same. It drives me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

When im pouring out tea all the mug handles have to be facing the same direction and don't get me started on how to unload a washing machine & hang clothes on a line...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Compulsively correcting spelling... I'm trying to cut down on it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I stick out my bottom lip when I'm concentrating.. And apparently I rock myself to sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

purplegeko wrote: »
    When im pouring out tea all the mug handles have to be facing the same direction and don't get me started on how to unload a washing machine & hang clothes on a line...

Move in with me?

Badly packed dishwashers...I like everything facing the in the same direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I have a concentrating face but it involves rolling my top lip up so that it's touching my nose .. it makes me look like a pig and I never notice that I'm doing it :(

I also have to sleep on the side of the bed furthest away from the door, because monsters.

Also my desk at work can be an absolute tip, and has actually won awards for its messiness before, but all my applications have to be open in a particular order in the taskbar, and all my browser tabs have to be in a particular order too. Before I got Windows 7 and could drag things around on the taskbar I would close and re-open everything if they weren't in the right order.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

rain on wrote: »
    Also my desk at work can be an absolute tip, and has actually won awards for its messiness before, but all my applications have to be open in a particular order in the taskbar, and all my browser tabs have to be in a particular order too. Before I got Windows 7 and could drag things around on the taskbar I would close and re-open everything if they weren't in the right order.
    Meet your sister :)

I don't use Windows 7 any more though - Ubuntu (Precise Pangolin) girl at work here :pac:

Other quirks include:

- I cannot do anything else at all in the morning until I've brushed my teeth

- I always sleep facing the window in any room I'm in, preferably on the appropriate side of the bed

- I'm a little bit obsessive about making sure I have all the essentials with me (partly because I live on my own so nobody to let me in if I forget/lose my keys), so that's a wallet-keys-phone tap at the door of my apartment, in the lift, the door of the building...

- I am brutally efficient with my stuff when flying, and it pisses me off when other people aren't, if you hold up the queue in security or when boarding I'm probably going to give you the frowning of a lifetime

- When I'm going pretty much anywhere I always have to have water and chewing gum with me

- I like as many colours as possible in my food, something that's pure brown/beige etc is incredibly offputting

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neyite wrote: »
    I eat each part of my meal fully before moving onto the next, for instance, I'll eat all veggies #1, then veggies #2, then the meat, then the potatoes.

I dont put a bit of everything on the fork and eat that way.
    - I'm a little bit obsessive about making sure I have all the essentials with me (partly because I live on my own so nobody to let me in if I forget/lose my keys), so that's a wallet-keys-phone tap at the door of my apartment, in the lift, the door of the building...

- I am brutally efficient with my stuff when flying, and it pisses me off when other people aren't, if you hold up the queue in security or when boarding I'm probably going to give you the frowning of a lifetime

- When I'm going pretty much anywhere I always have to have water and chewing gum with me

Me for all of the above, especially the flying part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

- I cannot do anything else at all in the morning until I've brushed my teeth
    Oh, this is me too

And this
    Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I can't sleep on the 'inside' of the bed, like if a bed is against a wall, I can't sleep on the side beside the wall, I have to sleep on the other side.
    rain on wrote: »
    all my applications have to be open in a particular order in the taskbar, and all my browser tabs have to be in a particular order too. Before I got Windows 7 and could drag things around on the taskbar I would close and re-open everything if they weren't in the right order.
    I do this too.

Also, I have to have my bedroom tidy, no clothes/bags/shoes on the floor, everything in it's place. The only shoes on my floor are my runners/boots/slippers/flip-flops, everything else is in the wardrobe.

When I am trying to work or concentrate I need to have total silence as any sound at all distracts me.

When I take clothes out of the washing machine/dryer or take them off the line I have to fold them, I can't just throw them into the basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I talk to myself, spell a new word I hear out on my arm with my finger, tense all my muscles before getting up in the morning and seeing people putting stickers on their body is the equivalent to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard for anyone else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I bite my bottom lip when I think.
    I talk to my cat and dog way too much.
    I give my car instructions and words of encouragement when driving.
    I only like using black pens.
    I quote films in my sleep.
    I play the same 5 cords straight off if I pick up a guitar.
    I name random objects (my coffee maker is called Alan Rickman, my oven is Bernie, my amp is Sam etc).

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    and seeing people putting stickers on their body is the equivalent to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard for anyone else. :)

I'm not alone :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sweet wrappers, ice cream wrappers, crisp bags and the like, I have to tie them in a knot before I put them in the bin.
    My late Dad used to do it too and I recently saw my niece do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

spurious wrote: »
    Sweet wrappers, ice cream wrappers, crisp bags and the like, I have to tie them in a knot before I put them in the bin.
    My late Dad used to do it too and I recently saw my niece do it. :)

Meet your sister!!

I have to wash and flatten down plastic bottles and cans before recycling.

I play with my hair far too much, sometimes I get embarrassed when I notice people giving me the "what is she doing" look.

Check 3-4 times that I have my keys, mobile, wallet before leaving the house. I always put my handbag in the same place so I don't know where they would walk off to!

Lock the door, then check its properly locked by pulling on the handle.

Rattle the gear stick when the car is in neutral, just in case I took my foot off the clutch and the car conked out.

Check my eyes for gunk/dry crud. Can't stand seeing it, and I'd be mortified to think that I was walking around with a big lump of sleep stuck to my eyelashes! :eek:

I'm a fidget, I might be rubbing one finger off another, or rolling my ankle around, but it has to be to a certain rhythm, otherwise it's just irritating.

Talk to pets as if they were human. They can understand me, I swear!!

Have to say "I love you" when I say goodbye to my parents on the phone, I would feel odd if I didn't do it now. They also get a full kiss on the lips when I see them-I had a friend remark once that I was a freak for doing that :confused::confused:

I can't fall asleep on the right hand side of the bed.

Have to hang underwear on the inside of the rotary line, or nearest the house on a washing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sorry for intruding, but you girls must have way too much spare time on your hands to be able to realise these things, try to concentrate on your work a bit more and less on this sort of trivia we have a recession to get out of. LOL.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Sorry for intruding, but you girls must have way too much spare time on your hands to be able to realise these things, try to concentrate on your work a bit more and less on this sort of trivia we have a recession to get out of. LOL.

Calm down, it's just a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

afk concentrating on work at 10.30pm :rolleyes:

Advertisement