Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What odd quirks do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mech1, stay on topic or don't post.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

rain on wrote: »
    Also my desk at work can be an absolute tip, and has actually won awards for its messiness before, but all my applications have to be open in a particular order in the taskbar, and all my browser tabs have to be in a particular order too. Before I got Windows 7 and could drag things around on the taskbar I would close and re-open everything if they weren't in the right order.

Same, I have a few email accounts and every time I go online I open them up in a particular order, and browser tabs have to stay in that order throughout the day.

Also when I'm at home I have to have a pint of water beside me at all times.

I'm sure there's plenty more that I can't think of right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

I'm beginning to think I may be perfect... I can't think of any!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm the same with the browser thing actually. It goes Facebook, Boards, Hotmail, Gmail.. If I'm watching tv shows online they go before Facebook.. :o

Have to have the volume on the TV and radio at a certain number. Usually I have it above 10. It can be an even number or a number ending in a 5 after that - e.g. 10 - yes, 11 - no, 12 - yes, 13 - no, 14 - yes, 15 - yes, etc. :o

I like to have the subtitles on almost everything despite the fact I can hear fine. I don't like it when there's no subtitle option on DVDs.

When I'm eating I eat in the following order - meat, then veg, then potatoes. If it's curry or stew I eat the meat out of it first.

When I was in college or school if I didn't like my writing on my homework or notes I'd rip the page out and start again.

I have a weird face that I pull when I'm concentrating. I also have a special "knitting face" that's different from the concentrating face.

I talk to my pets.

I have to walk on my bf's right hand side if I'm holding his hand, just something we got used to and being on his left feels weird.

I twirl my hair when I'm relaxed.

I bite my nails when I'm nervous.

Okay, it's clear now that I'm a bit weird. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

have to watch TV with teletext on as I read quicker than I hear (although nothing wrong with hearing).

have to pick up white feathers as mother reckons are good luck (although am not superstitious)

have to see if I can make it home from bus in less than 500 steps...although no idea what will happen if I don't

Must not fill in forms in red or green pen

salute magpies

God I sound like a basket case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

'Hi Mr.Magpie, how's your wife and all your children?' :D picked that one up off my daddy.

I have to sleep facing the wall!

I worry that my pet doesnt love me enough. (:o)

Can't eat food if people have been touching it (obv not if I'm out, the preparing of food by people doesn't count)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

rain on wrote: »
    Also my desk at work can be an absolute tip, and has actually won awards for its messiness before, but all my applications have to be open in a particular order in the taskbar, and all my browser tabs have to be in a particular order too. Before I got Windows 7 and could drag things around on the taskbar I would close and re-open everything if they weren't in the right order.

im the same, if one programmes close on me, I have to close everything down and open in the same order

Also put my dogs into their bed most nights and tell them how much mammy and daddy love them, have to at least say 'goodnight, love you's' as im walking out of the kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

I always watch TV with the subtitles on and i hate channels that don't have it. Even when i go to a friends house, i ask can they put on the subtitles for me. I throw a little hissy fit when i have to turn off subtitles i.e. for the football etc.

I don't have patience for people who talk slowly so i tend to finish peoples sentences or interject with words i think they are going for, its a habit i'm trying to break

When i'm in other peoples houses or restaurants, i examine the cutlery cos' i cant eat off anything that isnt clean. And not to offend my friends, if i noticed a dirty cup or whatever, i wouldn't drink out of it or i would say i wasn't really hungry so i wouldn't have to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I hate mushrooms - hate the look of them, smell if them and taste of them but I love Campbell's mushroom soup :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Can't think of many right now, but here are a few:

When I use public toilets, I always choose the second cubicle from the door, or the second cubicle from the wall (if there's a choice).

I also talk to pets and random animals.

I pick at my split ends.

When I say 'facebook' to myself, I pronounce it differently, more like Beardface from Scrubs. Can't help it! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I always sleep with the "open" part of the pillow on the left, where the opening in the pillow slip is, it annoys me otherwise and I've no idea why lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I run down the stairs in a tapping rhythm with a hop at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Bubblefett wrote: »
    I give my car instructions and words of encouragement when driving.

I swear at mine...I love it really though.
    Have to have the volume on the TV and radio at a certain number. Usually I have it above 10. It can be an even number or a number ending in a 5 after that - e.g. 10 - yes, 11 - no, 12 - yes, 13 - no, 14 - yes, 15 - yes, etc. :o

I do this! Can't stand it when it's on an odd number, just.. *shudder*

Oh, and the sound of Styrofoam scraping off anything to me is like what nails on a blackboards sounds like to everyone else!
    Used to have a weird love of number four, everything felt better when it could be done in fours..I've stopped that one though.
    I break split ends.
    I sway along to music without knowing.
    I sit on the top deck at the front of buses so I can watch the bus drivers wave at each other. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I pick snails up from the path and put them in grass so nobody can step on them.

I say hello loudly to the ducks when I pass them forgetting to check if other people are around.

I usually wave at dogs when I see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

I must under all circumstances, click the Google Chrome Icon exactly in the middle of the blue circle or I dread to think what will happen.

I still race to get in my front door and lock it behind me before the next car passes by house on the road outside so that my family will be safe( I think this is an anxiety thing from my childhood)

I count everything...steps between rooms, stair steps everywhere, grating cheese, scrubbing the sink.....the end number must never be an odd number except if it is divisible by 5.

I must always be wearing earrings and have my teeth brushed.

I cannot let the fuel in my car go down below half a tank and when I fill it back up it must be a full euro amount like €40.00 but never €39.55.

It is impossible for me to go to sleep unless I personally check the front and back door by physically checking the handles and locks.

The rest of my life though is a veritable train wreak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like to control the controllable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't know how to use predictive text on my mobile

I tried it a little while but never got the hang of it

All my text messages are typed out fully

Also in public toilets like the cinema I use my sleeve to pull the chrome handle on the door.
    I'm not a germ freak or terrified of germs but I just don't fancy touching that door handle

edit, didn't see this was Ladies Lounge before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Can't put on socks before knickers. Feels terribly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

mikemac1 wrote: »
    All my text messages are typed out fully
    Also in public toilets like the cinema I use my sleeve to pull the chrome handle on the door.
    I'm not a germ freak or terrified of germs but I just don't fancy touching that door handle
    I do these too.

I hate text speak, although the odd time I will use 'u' for you etc, but it's not often it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The only time I use text speak is when I'm actually texting. If I'm chatting online or on Boards or whatever, I'll type all sentences out fully.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Pythia wrote: »
    Can't put on socks before knickers. Feels terribly wrong.

Me either.

Another thing which I've never seen anyone outside my family do is that we stick the stickers from our fruit on the inside of the door of the press above the sink in our kitchen. My brother started it years ago- when he'd wash an apple, he'd put the sticker there and then it led to all other fruit stickers going up.

We've had about three different kitchens fitted since this odd quirk started but we've always kept it up. Mum says she hates it but she still does it anyway :rolleyes: I've done it in every house I've lived in since I left home, with varying degrees of amusement from housemates (except for the one contrary bitch who freaked out at the "mess" and tore them all down :mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

When I'm drinking out of a beer bottle, I am always compelled to peel off the labels before I drink it. Apparently, from what I've read, this is a sign of sexual frustration.... :confused:

*dashes off to lovehoney*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

McChubbin wrote: »
    When I'm drinking out of a beer bottle, I am always compelled to peel off the labels before I drink it. Apparently, from what I've read, this is a sign of sexual frustration.... :confused:

*dashes off to lovehoney*

If you can peel it off without tearing any part of it you can give it to a friend who has to eat it.

Its a universal rule that must be obeyed.

Yes, that's true. As a former barman it was always said that any lads and/or ladies that peeled off foil and labels had issues with sexual frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yes, that's true. As a former barman it was always said that any lads and/or ladies that peeled off foil and labels had issues with sexual frustration.

My friend tears up beer mats, the bartenders hate her :pac:

Be a good friend Lizt and set her up with one of your male friends. ;). Maybe even a local barman!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Cant write with any other type of pen than a blue ballpoint.

Twiddle my toes when I'm going asleep and while I'm sleeping.

I sing loudly along to supermarket music. even if I've never heard the song before. Much to the embarrassment of my friends family and boyfriend. My five year old thinks its class though!.

If I'm baking I measure all of the ingredients into bowls clean the kitchen and pretend I'm hosting a cookery show in my head while I bake. :).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I only write with a certain type of biro that I order online. And I never lose it - I have it until the ink runs out and I start using a new one. Most people hate writing with it because its scratchy, but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Be a good friend Lizt and set her up with one of your male friends. ;). Maybe even a local barman!

She doesn't need my help in that department :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Roesy wrote: »
    Where to start :) I hate the sound of other people eating crunchy foods and have, on an odd occasion, had to leave the table until people have finished eating crisps. I also hate unexplained squeaks, rattles and small noises. I rub my feet together when I'm trying to fall asleep, didn't even realise I did this until my husband pointed it out! I also have a concentrating face it seems.

Haha so I'm not alone with this habit...a freaky habit I was so nicely told :D I don't actually notice myself doing it either and I apparently do it while asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

The only time I use text speak is when I'm actually texting. If I'm chatting online or on Boards or whatever, I'll type all sentences out fully.

I don't use text speak, ever, even while texting. :o
    I line my iodine tablets to be taken three times a day diagnoally on my bedroom dressing table.

I make sure i have three towels for when i get out of the shower freshly washed.

I have to ensure my sheets are changed twice a week and a wash on once a week before anybody elses for fear of contamination as some of the household socks are dirtier than mine and i would be afriad of transfer.

Emm the iodine tablets and the socks thing make me think you're taking the piss with this post?

But, I always prefer to have three fresh clean towels when having a shower in my parents house (one for the floor, one for me, and one for my hair.) In my own place, I have a bathroom mat that I wash twice a week, so I only need two fresh towels.

I know most people re-use towels - we never ever did when growing up, though, and it just doesn't feel right. :o

(I'm pretty environmentally-friendly apart from that one thing - I recycle, and I never ever use the tumble dryer, etc!)

Also I've often changed my sheets twice in a week - once a week is the usual, though.

Advertisement