Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The city I'm surprised they haven't visited yet is Singapore. I'm on mobile so I can't put up a picture but if you look at the layout there is a section that could be cut out to make the Grand Prix track shorter for the Formula E race.
    Wonder if Baku could do the same, although it is meant to be an oil rich nation so the FE CEO probably wouldn't want to visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Marrakech this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I like the look of Rosenqvist after his performance here last season, but it's hard to write off anyone not in a Farce-a-day Dragon Racing car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Marrakech this weekend.

On at a nice time too 3pm. A pity we can not watch the qualifying anywhere.

Ms

Race is on today. Coverage on 3e now and race should start in the 40 mins sometime maybe less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

AMKC wrote: »
    Race is on today. Coverage on 3e now and race should start in the 40 mins sometime maybe less.

Also live on eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Harika wrote: »
    Also live on eurosport

And in HD on channel5 on freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I tried to stomach 3e's coverage but gave up at the first shoe-horned ad break. Back to the VPN for me.

Ms

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I tried to stomach 3e's coverage but gave up at the first shoe-horned ad break. Back to the VPN for me.

Can't blame you. I would if I could too. Race start 3 mins away.

TheChrisD wrote: »

What country has youtube access?

• Advertisement

What country has youtube access?

Skf8SfJ.jpg

Ms

Have to say the Marrekesh track is nice but the race itself was only ok. Well done to Mahindra and Rosenquest. Great race by them.

What a futuristic design. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That design looks properly badass, even with a halo

https://twitter.com/CStevens_journo/status/958311845273759744

Depending now on speed, this will be a fan favourite as it looks so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

https://twitter.com/CStevens_journo/status/958311845273759744

Depending now on speed, this will be a fan favourite as it looks so different.

I don't think speed is that much of an issue, given the tracks layouts. It all looks pretty quick on TV, my biggest issue is the sound. After a few laps the constant whining of the cars is incredibly irritating so I end up mostly watching at a very low volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That looks like it has a centre-downwash aero design, something that F1 working group looked at years ago to aid overtaking (before DRS).

Looks really cool anyway!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

skipper_G wrote: »
    I don't think speed is that much of an issue, given the tracks layouts. It all looks pretty quick on TV, my biggest issue is the sound. After a few laps the constant whining of the cars is incredibly irritating so I end up mostly watching at a very low volume.

OT
    Funny that you say that, a friend of mine is working in the automobile industry and developing E-cars and one of their biggest challenge is the interior sound as we are so conditioned to the petrol or diesel engine noise that a silent car causes stress as a rolling silent petrol car would do.
    Same with people on the outside that are conditioned to rely on their ears and while they should look left and right, very often only listen to conclude if a street is safe to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What an absolutely stunning race car.

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

DUzLFrbWsAAflKX.jpg

I could look at this all day.

Can't wait to see the new liveries on it also.

• Advertisement

Halo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's going to be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like it. Yep, "futuristic" blah blah blah, but it's not a "formula" car, as it's not open wheels. Put some headlights on it and it's a sports prototype. Don't call it "Formula E" at this point, call it "E-Race" or something like that.

As a "race car", rather than a "Formula" car, it's ok-ish, even 'though the lines are extremely complex and convoluted - I find it funny that people complain about how "dirty" modern F1 racers look, compared to those of the '80s and '90s, then get excited about something that looks like a mini-4WD. Aesthetically often less is more - that's exactly the reason why cars like the Lotus 78 and the Jordan 191 are considered the most beautiful ever built.

I understand the need to capture the imagination of modern ADHD Youtube-grown kids, but I feel they're missing an important train here - with a more conventional, F1 or F2 like design if you will, they'd deliver the message that electric traction doesn't really require a complete revolution of everything you know about cars; In layman terms, "look, electric motors are good enough to power what is basically a F1 car".
    Instead, they're going the "cool new thing" route, which is always divisive.

OT
    Funny that you say that, a friend of mine is working in the automobile industry and developing E-cars and one of their biggest challenge is the interior sound as we are so conditioned to the petrol or diesel engine noise that a silent car causes stress as a rolling silent petrol car would do.
    Same with people on the outside that are conditioned to rely on their ears and while they should look left and right, very often only listen to conclude if a street is safe to pass.

In all fairness...unless you live in a town full of Lambos and Ferraris, most modern-ish (say, last 20 years) cars don't produce that much engine noise when traveling at city speeds - the most of the sound is tire rolling noise, of which EVs produce just the same level.

It does look a little bit fat. More like an indycar than f1 car

Ms

Round 4 on today at 6pm from Chile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

3e. Essentially we're never getting the online streams back because they actually stepped up and committed to showing the entire season :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's also on Spike today. Not sure if 3e or Spike does HD.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

astrofluff wrote: »
    It's also on Spike today. Not sure if 3e or Spike does HD.

Not sure if either are in hd. Channel 5, spikes mother channel has hd but I think that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Anyone else watching this on 3e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ok I miss the noise :(

But by god it’s excitin :D

Advertisement