Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

Harry lyme wrote: »
    Criticism does not equal anger. I don't care enough about the show to get angry about it.

You said it makes you miserable, so you stopped listening. That's quite an extreme reaction, and there seems to be an awful lot of that in this thread.

Your gripe is really with society at large being too 'lefty liberal' rather than a criticism specific to OTB, and you're using a thread about OTB to have a general go at the 'sports media in recent years'. You're framing these thoughts as a valid criticism of OTB, but clearly the show is just not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Ger was like a spoilt 10year old when discussing the tennis this morning.
    He called djokovic an ashole.
    How does ger not realise that he is a big ashole also???????
    He is truly obnoxious!

He's up there with darcy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

elefant wrote: »
    You said it makes you miserable, so you stopped listening. That's quite an extreme reaction, and there seems to be an awful lot of that in this thread.

Your gripe is really with society at large being too 'lefty liberal' rather than a criticism specific to OTB, and you're using a thread about OTB to have a general go at the 'sports media in recent years'. You're framing these thoughts as a valid criticism of OTB, but clearly the show is just not for you.

Some parts of it I like. I loved the Mount Rushmore segments and Giles best 11 selections that they had before football came back , I'm fine with when they simply stick to the action on the field of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    He called djokovic an ashole.
    How does ger not realise that he is a big ashole also???????
    He is truly obnoxious!

He's up there with darcy!

Djokovic wouldn’t suit Ger’s woke dweebism.

Harry lyme wrote: »
    Don't think boards is dominated by conservative males (no more than would be reasonable), it probably has a more reasonable balance of opinion compared to other sites. I don't think the world is quite a lefty liberal as the internet would have you believe as various election results all over the world in recent years have show. There's also the fact that you can post anonymously here which means you can express opinion that people might fin unpopular and not be labelled a monster for having a mildly conservative view, which is what happens on a lot of other social media platforms.

We'll agree to disagree but if Boards were an accurate barometer of wider society then Peter Casey would be president now. Anonymity, in my opinion, just allows people to be there worst version of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Quite enjoyed the Kevin Doyle spot tonight. Nice balanced view. Bit of criticism but the overall message to be patient.

Can't understand how Liam Toland gets so much time to talk about rugby across multiple platforms/shows. Just speaks in obscure intangibles like "Munsters centre of gravity". Think Giles can do similar on the football side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Felexicon wrote: »
    Quite enjoyed the Kevin Doyle spot tonight. Nice balanced view. Bit of criticism but the overall message to be patient.

Can't understand how Liam Toland gets so much time to talk about rugby across multiple platforms/shows. Just speaks in obscure intangibles like "Munsters centre of gravity". Think Giles can do similar on the football side.

I like Giles. He has a world of experience and knowledge in the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

Yeah I heard him, the first thing I thought was that Ger seems to approach sportpeople with a sort of Father Noel Furlong sense of maturity.

tumblr_me1pha0Pcu1rnr47go6_250.gifv

At least Sheahan tried to provide some balance while Gilroy was on his tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Listened to a bit of the playback from OTB AM last night and I honestly couldn't tell if Ger was serious or not when he said that Djokovic had showed "wanton disregard for human life" when he hit the ball.

He seriously said that.

He made a total a$$ of himself with his little rant.

Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think this is just an inevitable result of having so many hours to fill. Very often the OTB am show does all the analysis - they had lots of post Bulgaria game analysis on Friday morning - and so the evening show is having to branch out a bit more to fill the three hours.

Personally, I think it's overkill but I do like some of the sports in a wider cultural context pieces too. Mostly, I still prefer deep analysis of actual sport involving games and teams I have an interest in but each to their own.

It then leads to the question is OTB necessary? All the branching out is not really geared at the listener just the presenters interests. Plus has to appear busy/dramatic and investigative to sell advertising - satisfy sponsors.

Is OTB not just like SKY SPORTS NEWS when you strip all the bells and whistles back? Repeating the same stuff and killing time speculating and philosophising until the actual sport starts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

`1-*/01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

enjoyed the Tommy Tiernan interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why was Tommy Tiernan on OTB?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I didn't hear him but must have been plugging his new podcast I would imagine. I heard him on another channel on the way home yesterday and they tend to do the rounds of the shows..

Jessy Barr on John Tracy and world athletics was well off the mark in 1984. What African powerhouse was in the marathon in 1984?

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Was he as knowledgeable as Hector?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Happy4all wrote: »
    enjoyed the Tommy Tiernan interview.

Thought it was a tough listen as the presenter is like a robot who doesn't like going off script. Totally out of his element. Felt sorry for Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

YFlyer wrote: »
    Jessy Barr on John Tracy and world athletics was well off the mark in 1984. What African powerhouse was in the marathon in 1984?

The only African nations absent were Ethiopia, Angola and Libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Someone needs to tell Adrian Barry to stop sucking in air through his teeth. It's incredibly off putting

YFlyer wrote: »

Out of interest, what did she say that was off the mark? Didn't hear it.

• Advertisement

I was looking forward to listening to the interview with Brogan but I found it disappointing overall. I didn't like the way they had O'Shea contributing and slapping him on the back, and then brought in his brother. Thought it would be far better to just interview the lad himself for the duration of the interview. This is the sort of thing that OTB usually does well, when they just let the sportstar speak for themselves and tell their story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Listening to some of the Armagh lads here who won the 2002 All Ireland. Joe Kernan and Benny Tierney are fine but this Enda Mcnulty never shuts up with all his psychological mumbo jumbo. Maybe it works for some but this lad just grinds my gears with his incessant ****e talk. Of course the team had to listen to that every given sunday speech on the bus to Croke Park. No doubts orchestrated by the the cliche spoofer. I'd have got off and got a taxi the rest of the way. It's not for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Listening to some of the Armagh lads here who won the 2002 All Ireland. Joe Kernan and Benny Tierney are fine but this Enda Mcnulty never shuts up with all his psychological mumbo jumbo. Maybe it works for some but this lad just grinds my gears with his incessant ****e talk.

He has a degree in psychology and uses that to coach people and I understand that has worked with the Irish rugby team and some olympians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

He has a degree in psychology and uses that to coach people and I understand that has worked with the Irish rugby team and some olympians.

Oh i know he's done well for himself. Talked to the likes of Arsenal across the water. Lots of business speeches. And good luck to him. It's just not for me. I dont buy it. I think it's gobbledegook.

In a previous life I dealt with him professionally and I found it very hard to take him seriously.

However, there are others, as you say, especially elite sports people, who lap that stuff up and have had success with it so it clearly works for some. More power to him and them if it works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe and Dan McDonnell after 9 last night - started off discussing their holidays and the usual patronising of Kerry ("I cant believe how beautiful it is" etc. - most of us who have been further than the Red Cow on a regular basis know that) and then moved onto QPR who refused to take the knee before their game this weekend.

QPR made the point that a lot of media outlets are jumping on the BLM protests and using it for self promotion with their #s and whatnot. The say that the message has now been diluted - the clapping for the frontline workers stopped after a few games and why not the same with taking the knee. They also made the point that they walked off the pitch due to racist abuse received in an U18 game against Spanish opposition last year and that UEFA did nothing to the offending team. The same media outlets who are all over the BLM (I assume they are aiming this at SKY) were not too bothered with reporting this issue.

It seemed to me that Joe was afraid to criticise Les Ferdinand's comments for some reason (I wonder what that would be) while at the same time hinting that he disapproved.

BPKS wrote: »
    Joe and Dan McDonnell after 9 last night - started off discussing their holidays and the usual patronising of Kerry ("I cant believe how beautiful it is" etc. - most of us who have been further than the Red Cow on a regular basis know that) and then moved onto QPR who refused to take the knee before their game this weekend.

That was a bizarre conversation about Kerry and holidays at home. You'd swear they were talking about the dark side of the moon! I think the boys need to get out and about and discover their own country more. It was like they were amazed to discover that Ireland is a beautiful place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

That was a bizarre conversation about Kerry and holidays at home. You'd swear they were talking about the dark side of the moon! I think the boys need to get out and about and discover their own country more. It was like they were amazed to discover that Ireland is a beautiful place!

The Dubs can tell you in detail where they spent every minute of their holiday in the galapagos islands but cannot point out Louth on the map. Even the smartest of them :P

Blanco100 wrote: »
    The Dubs can tell you in detail where they spent every minute of their holiday in the galapagos islands but cannot point out Louth on the map. Even the smartest of them :P

Dan's a Louth man so he'd definitely know that part of the country!

• Advertisement

I haven't heard a wave of people on Twitter calling for an equal survey for female sports stars.

Rob Kearney leaves Leinster & Ireland's best looking male sports star

This is the thing that really annoys me about them. They won't dare have a similar list of female sports stars, as they would be terrified about the Twitter storm of "objectifying females". If there was true equality, they would then have the same list for female sports stars. But this goes to show that equality is not what they abide by, it's political correctness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement