Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I have no opinion on the utter muck posted by the same two regular belligerents as an aside. Essays of boredom.

But back to the show....can they not get a phone call sorted for a contributor on a lengthy call such as a paper review, was whoever that was on today on her laptop speaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Is MT Ni Cheallaigh the Dublin S&C coach? If so, she is the most banal contributor of all on the show. She provides little to no insight on any topic, whether it be close to home or not and I suspect this is because being directly involved with an inter county team means she understandably needs to remain neutral on many topics (other than the ones it’s important to be seen to be irate about). Contributors like these should not be brought on the show. Their hands are tied and this impedes any type of an interesting view, much like a Dublin footballer in a pre-match interview: “we know Leitrim are a really tough outfit and we’re going to have to be on our guard today bla bla bla”.

She's also a sports psychologist, broadcastor and now entering 3rd year med student. She is very insightful on a range of topics. Would like to hear her on more often.

She's also a sports psychologist, broadcastor and now entering 3rd year med student. She is very insightful on a range of topics. Would like to hear her on more often.

Wow???! 3rd year. I thought it was only first. That’s ok then. She’s amazing.

She was excruciating to listen to off her laptop speaker let alone her content that I could hear.

Try sometime, just once on this thread to be objective. What exactly was so objective and worthwhile that was worth listening through what sounded like a didgeridoo

She was excruciating to listen to off her laptop speaker let alone her content that I could hear.

Try sometime, just once on this thread to be objective. What exactly was so objective and worthwhile that was worth listening through what sounded like a didgeridoo

Is this because she is from Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Jayesdiem wrote:
    Is MT Ni Cheallaigh the Dublin S&C coach? If so, she is the most banal contributor of all on the show. She provides little to no insight on any topic, whether it be close to home or not and I suspect this is because being directly involved with an inter county team means she understandably needs to remain neutral on many topics (other than the ones it’s important to be seen to be irate about). Contributors like these should not be brought on the show. Their hands are tied and this impedes any type of an interesting view, much like a Dublin footballer in a pre-match interview: “we know Leitrim are a really tough outfit and we’re going to have to be on our guard today bla bla blaâ€.

No thats Cliona O Connor

• Advertisement

Is this because she is from Galway?

Galway? No. That’s a very narrow minded and offensive accusation to make. I’m reporting this at once. How dare you. Tyrant named milking whatever your name is, pay attention. Horrendous accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

No thats Cliona O Connor

I apologise to MTnC for the mix up.

Maybe if......and I’m not sure I’m even referring to the correct person now, she actually contributed something of substance? (and I’m not talking about safe opinions delivered with venom to create the illusion of being assertive and opinionated).

Faugheen wrote: »
    I thought MT was bang on the money calling out Colm O’Rourke and Pat Spillane for their entitled bollocks and unnecessary attacks towards Ronan Glynn.

But she’s a woman so the losers here will hate that lefty liberal soap-boxing wokeness.

Agreed, she was bang on. But she did drift off into some soap boxing about people taking selfies on holidays which was a bit odd and unnecessary. I wasn't expecting much from the paper review as I'm not a huge fan of either contributor but I thought it was strong this week and Eoin managed it well. Good listen.

Wow, that smacks of pure misogyny. I'm not a massive fan as I find she can allow herself to be dominated and can contribute little outside of GAA issues, but she was strong yesterday as GAA matters dominated, and seemed to be well on top of her brief. Enjoyed her contribution.

• Advertisement

Wow, that smacks of pure misogyny. I'm not a massive fan as I find she can allow herself to be dominated and can contribute little outside of GAA issues, but she was strong yesterday as GAA matters dominated, and seemed to be well on top of her brief. Enjoyed her contribution.

Misogyny? I said her content was muck and the sound quality was dire, the first of my criticisms is debatable so convince me otherwise with this comment of yours:

"well on top of her brief"...

The second, I stand by, the sound quality is dire at time for lengthy calls. It sounded like she wasn't even on a any kind of headset.

Misogyny...you'll have to explain that one. She was female, I found what I was able to hear of her content to be fairly useless.

Please explain on that accusation

Misogyny? I said her content was muck and the sound quality was dire, the first of my criticisms is debatable so convince me otherwise with this comment of yours:

The second, I stand by, the sound quality is dire at time for lengthy calls. It sounded like she wasn't even on a any kind of headset.

Misogyny...you'll have to explain that one. She was female, I found what I was able to hear of her content to be fairly useless.

Grand, maybe you're an arrogant and aggressive di*k to everyone so. Happy to take a ban for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cms88

You should know at this stage you can't disagree with anything a female says in the media. You have to agree with ti all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cms88

Faugheen wrote: »
    I thought MT was bang on the money calling out Colm O’Rourke and Pat Spillane for their entitled bollocks and unnecessary attacks towards Ronan Glynn.

But she’s a woman so the losers here will hate that lefty liberal soap-boxing wokeness.

:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Wonder will they discuss the basketball this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Listening to OTB AM on the topic now.

The usual glossing over the incident that led to the shooting - no mention of the knife the fella had and that his wife had called the police to report a domestic crime and that her husband had left with 3 kids in the car.

Bit like the one sided story that Ritchie did of the conclusion of the FBI investigation into the NASCAR noose story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Why wouldn't they? It has already been discussed on OTB AM.

cms88 wrote: »
    You should know at this stage you can't disagree with anything a female says in the media. You have to agree with ti all the time.

I literally said a few posts back that I didn't think she was a good contributor to the paper review and am not a huge fan of hers.

There is disagreeing and over the top like the post I had a go at. A bit of balance would be good, and I would stand over my position that a lot of the discussion of women on this thread is borderline misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know this is trivial but that ad with the guy ranting on about how great Giles is drives me demented. It's the most over the top ad I've heard in a long time. Painful stuff and I've nothing against Giles except maybe he's a bit past it.

I think at this stage they're just afraid of hurting Giles feelings. He's awful to listen to. Anytime I know he's coming on I switch over.

He was asked for his best Everton 11 of all time and he just filled it with lads from the 60s and 70s. Maybe it's true but wo wants to listen to that when they don't know any of the plaeyrs or seen them play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

He was asked for his best Everton 11 of all time and he just filled it with lads from the 60s and 70s. Maybe it's true but wo wants to listen to that when they don't know any of the plaeyrs or seen them play?

Awwwww. Are you okay?????
    Big Hugs hunnybunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think at this stage they're just afraid of hurting Giles feelings. He's awful to listen to. Anytime I know he's coming on I switch over.

He was asked last night about Thiago signing for Liverpool and he went off on a tangent as to why Gerrard and Lampard could not play on the same England team together.

He thinks the lad De Brew-knee has a bad attitude as well in case you hadn't heard this before!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't listen to Giles for cutting current football affairs stuff.

I do listen to him as I like hearing his stories from over the years.

As for his best ever teams, that's exactly what they are. His best ever teams and he's been around a long time so of course he's going to have players from in the 60's and 70's. They won some stuff back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Remarkable.

Anyway, Giles is the only bit of OTB I regularly listen to still. Bit like the way you listen to your mates talking about football, even if they're not professional statisticians or tacticians.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dowend

Infighting in OTB House?

https://twitter.com/RichieMcCormack/status/1299397976666918912?s=20

https://twitter.com/MaireTNC/status/1299405820321554432?s=20

I usually like Johnny when he's on but have lost a lot of respect for him recently due to his views on lockdown etc.

Dowend wrote: »
    Infighting in OTB House?

I usually like Johnny when he's on but have lost a lot of respect for him recently due to his views on lockdown etc.

I'd be largely of opposing view to him on lockdown as well but I can also see his point.

Everyone saw what happened in March and April in terms of infection rates, deaths etc.
    Measures were put in place to mitigate against that.
    Infection rates and deaths dropped.
    Cue outrage at measures in place for mitigation.

Hard to fathom really. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
    The reaction to the lockdown is turning in to civil war politics, many friends and family members on opposing sides and both sides 100% convinced their view is correct.

"rocket surgery" :pac::pac::pac:

These lads really show what's in between the ears if given the chance.

Ward has a point anyways. Whole point was to "flatten" the curve and not overload the health system. It was never "get 0 Covid and not have any patients in hospitals" like the current actions seem to suggest.

There hasn't been a single case in Leitrim for over 2 weeks yet pubs still closed.

The hospitals have never been so quiet.

If you google Ireland trolley hospitals and go to HSE website you'll see numbers on trolleys. This day last year there were 313 on trolleys. This year 78. A 75% decrease.

What's going on like????

Johnny is 110% correct. He is correct because in refutation of Richie, the virus is not an especially dangerous one given the stat he quoted and also that, in the UK at least, flu has killed more people than CV19 in the month of August (unsure of that figure for Ireland but let’s assume it’s fairly similar). Now at least Richie’s point has logic, if not validity. I can’t even begin to decipher what it is that MaireT is attempting to say because the concept of the hospitals coming under pressure was really only a fear at the outset of the virus and it never actually transpired. She assumes the role of the Japanese soldier found wandering and delirious in the forests of the South Pacific in the 70s, adamant that WW2 was still proceeding. But why not? Better to be inaccurate than correct if it tows the party line. Not surprising from her though - safe, safe, safe, safe. Make sure to p1ss nobody off and hence the reason she is such a substandard contributor to the show.

As for MNTC, she seems to think Irish hospitals aren't empty. They are. Even back in March I spoke to nurses in some hospitals who said it was never so empty.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Johnny is 110% correct. He is correct because in refutation of Richie, the virus is not an especially dangerous one given the stat he quoted and also that, in the UK at least, flu has killed more people than CV19 in the month of August (unsure of that figure for Ireland but let’s assume it’s fairly similar). Now at least Richie’s point has logic, if not validity. I can’t even begin to decipher what it is that MaireT is attempting to say because the concept of the hospitals coming under pressure was really only a fear at the outset of the virus and it never actually transpired. She assumes the role of the Japanese soldier found wandering and delirious in the forests of the South Pacific in the 70s, adamant that WW2 was still proceeding. But why not? Better to be inaccurate than correct if it ties the party line. Not surprising from her though - safe, safe, safe, safe. Make sure to p1ss nobody off and hence the reason she is such a substandard contributor to the show.

I could hear her annoying voice while reading the tweet.

As you said, she's safe safe safe. Doesn't have the spine to take a brave decision.

The median age of those getting it is 30 now. The elderly are safe if they follow precautions.

If we stop match going and pubs from opening when there's 50+ cases then they may never happen again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement