Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

So in other words, you haven’t a breeze. Guessing and maybe’s...thanks for your insight.

Well, it's more insightful than that nonsense you posted above.

The reasons are not in the public domain, so demanding only people who know what happened need reply is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So in other words, you haven’t a breeze. Guessing and maybe’s...thanks for your insight.

He left after a falling out and it was very sudden and they still have regular spats on Twitter, this much is true, I was looking for details of which you’ve zero so maybe the maybes and the guesses aren’t really worthwhile?

I wouldn't be surprised if he left after having lined up the new gig, he was put on gardening leave iirc which may have been normal given he was starting a new show so maybe there was no falling out as such.

Also, they aren't really having spats on twitter, Wooly does reference the show from time to time but I don't think anyone from it has responded back to him (maybe I am wrong).

The last significant reference to them was the Mayo ladies football strike when he had Peter Leahy on and OTB had Cora Staunton. He mentioned the show a lot then but it was all him doing the mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Is it any wonder that the gaa lads are gagged. if they said anything even slightly controversial they'd be hung drawn and quartered by the very same hacks who complain about lack of access.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Rumours in the Irish Sun that Brolly could be gone for
    good and that it has been coming for a while. His poor manners and annoying habit of butting in on his fellow pundits looks to have finally caught up with him. Bye Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

His poor manners and annoying habit of butting in on his fellow pundits looks to have finally caught up with him. Bye Joe!

This has annoyed me for years. He would never behave the same way in court, but thinks that it's alright to behave absolutely obnoxiously in studio.

He made a complete idiot of himself last week. And compounded it by then coming out and admitting he was wrong on ALL of the things he so adamantly defended on Sunday. It's sort of worrying that a barrister, who is supposedly a very learned man who is good with the books, does not even understand the GAA rule book. If I was looking at hiring a barrister, I think I would be worried about his attention to detail.

• Advertisement

This has annoyed me for years. He would never behave the same way in court, but thinks that it's alright to behave absolutely obnoxiously in studio.

He made a complete idiot of himself last week. And compounded it by then coming out and admitting he was wrong on ALL of the things he so adamantly defended on Sunday. It's sort of worrying that a barrister, who is supposedly a very learned man who is good with the books, does not even understand the GAA rule book. If I was looking at hiring a barrister, I think I would be worried about his attention to detail.

He must be a nightmare to share a studio panel with. I doubt his fellow pundits will be too disappointed if he's axed for good. And certainly not Joanne Cantwel. Yes, he can be entertaining and humorous but he cannot help himself talking over people and basically taking over the show and his lack of basic manners has always been a turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,342 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

OTB is a sports radio show. Is it really supposed to be a bastion of opposing views? In what way?
    Paul Kimmage has been on the show a lot and he certainly has fairly forthright views in many areas. David Brady has strong opinions.

Eoin Sheehan often disagrees with Ger Gilroy on topics on the morning show.

I do notice that Ewan Mackenna hasn't been near the place since he was on pouring water on Irish rugby celebrations but he hasn't been appearing on other Irish media to discuss that topic either. There are some areas where there isn't really a market for negativity even though it can have a basis in reality.

There are a number of issues with this post. I am not saying that someone should have an opposing view on everything like a referendum.
    I mean another individual or two who has a different outlook to the others.
    You say it is a sports show. But there are many occasions where there can be different viewpoints on the a sports issue. Invariably it leads to discussions outside the realm of sports (just associated with it) then they all have the same general 'world view'. I find it telling that you seem to think of any criticism as negative. There is also positive ciritism as well to counteract negative critisim as you yourself admit to do on this thread. As you think there is enough negativity in the world.

But if you look back to some issues where OTB themselves were negative in thier criticism there was no one there to give the positive counterbalance.
    Cork fans were painted as ignorant or racist for the use of rebel flags.
    There was no counterbalance then.
    There was plenty of times where Micky Harte is/was slagged off/sneered at for using prayer and religion with his players.
    There was no counter balance in response to this.

Of the people mentioned I will agree with you on Eoin Sheehan he pulled up Ger on his darts comments. Eoin also tried to create a bit of controversy (obviously for the craic) by saying no English players would get into the Irish team in rugby.

Of the other names you mentioned David Brady?
    The fella is completely incoherent and just makes things up as he goes along for the sake of noise. He does not even seem to be knowledgeable of the sport he is supposed to be expert in. And he has mentioned when his comments sound silly in hindsight (Tyrone Dublin 2017 SF)- 'ah sure you have to have the craic with it'

Paul Kimmage is forthright in many areas? I think he is a one trick pony, cycling-drugs, drugs-cycling. Then when he goes on about any other area he seems 'found out' with his lack of knowledge. He mostly speaks in generalities outside his area of expertise -cycling - cycling and drugs.
    The independent allows him to write long, rambling self-indulgent articles, about everything and anything. His interviews are always transcribed word for word, and could do with some serious editing.

Ewan McKenna - strangely I think he would be good if he toned down his rhetoric and hyperbole a bit. But I think that train has left the station.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

^^^

I don't know gormdubhgorm, there's 4 cases in my post which outline counter opinions heard on the show and you largely discount them (Brady, Kimmage, MacKenna). I think it is subjective whether or not something is treated reasonably or not. You cant just say 'Oh I disagree with those people so they need different people to present a balanced view'

I listen to the show a lot and can't say I heard Cork Fans or Mickey Harte being discussed as a topic, simply that they were mentioned in passing (i could be wrong). Is it reasonable to expect every point will be met with pro and opposing voices? If they had brought on a priest to validate Harte's position, I would bet a significant sum the show would have been lambasted here for being too PC.

Also once more, this line, 'I find it telling that you seem to think of any criticism as negative.' Why is it people get so aggrieved with their points being queried on a discussion board? I've mentioned several times there's things about the show I'm not a fan of, they never seem to be noted, but once again, I'm asked to defend why I disagree with a view. I do find that very curious at this point.

^^^
    Also once more, this line, 'I find it telling that you seem to think of any criticism as negative.' Why is it people get so aggrieved with their points being queried on a discussion board? I've mentioned several times there's things about the show I'm not a fan of, they never seem to be noted, but once again, I'm asked to defend why I disagree with a view. I do find that very curious at this point.

Because at this stage it is like the irish seanfhocail - 'An rud is annamh is iontach.'
    'What is rare is wonderful.'
    90% percent of the time if a poster says anything even approaching negativity against OTB - you seem to appear like batman - to defend the cause.
    If that is what you want to do fair enough, you like the show as is your entitlement if you want to defend it.
    There are other posters on the other end of the scale who only jump on anything when OTB make a mistake, or even a perceived mistake.

I still don't listen to the show, and the only reason I heard about the roadshow thing was because there were Keane comments in the newspapers all over the place.
    So I was curious and went looking for the source of the comments.
    So I watched it and thought Keane would be ideal for a football show segement every so often on OTB.
    Better than listening to Giles/Kilbane.

Personally I think OTB needs a shake up at this stage I looked at the JNLR figures and OTB Was 54,000 now 51,000 listeners. Down 3,000.

Ivan Yates seems to be the main man for Newstalk now

https://www.thejournal.ie/jnlr-figures-3-4748744-Aug2019/

Because at this stage it is like the irish seanfhocail - 'An rud is annamh is iontach.'
    'What is rare is wonderful.'
    90% percent of the time if a poster says anything even approaching negativity against OTB - you seem to appear like batman - to defend the cause.
    If that is what you want to do fair enough, you like the show as is your entitlement if you want to defend it.
    There are other posters on the other end of the scale who only jump on anything when OTB make a mistake, or even a perceived mistake.

I still don't listen to the show, and the only reason I heard about the roadshow thing was because there were Keane comments in the newspapers all over the place.
    So I was curious and went looking for the source of the comments.
    So I watched it and thought Keane would be ideal for a football show segement every so often on OTB.
    Better than listening to Giles/Kilbane.

Personally I think OTB needs a shake up at this stage I looked at the JNLR figures and OTB Was 54,000 now 51,000 listeners. Down 3,000.

Ivan Yates seems to be the main man for Newstalk now

https://www.thejournal.ie/jnlr-figures-3-4748744-Aug2019/

90% of the time? You mean I'm missing some? Will have to up my game.

Honestly, the amount you've posted in the last week, I'm very surprised you then say 'You still don't listen to the show'

Hard to know how you can say everything that is wrong with it, when you don't listen. I mean, they could have had a series of people supporting counter positions but now you're saying you don't listen.

Anyway, let's leave it for now, we had a good debate for a few days about the whole Keane thing, not looking to get back in to tit for tat but will continue to counter points as I feel appropriate.

• Advertisement

90% of the time? You mean I'm missing some? Will have to up my game.

Honestly, the amount you've posted in the last week, I'm very surprised you then say 'You still don't listen to the show'

Hard to know how you can say everything that is wrong with it, when you don't listen. I mean, they could have had a series of people supporting counter positions but now you're saying you don't listen.

Anyway, let's leave it for now, we had a good debate for a few days about the whole Keane thing, not looking to get back in to tit for tat but will continue to counter points as I feel appropriate.

I only put on the radio in the car going to croke park and they were on about the match. Watched the roadshow because of the Keane comments wanted to see what the fuss was.
    But the fundamental problems of the sameness of the show remain for me.
    There are not many 'counterpoints' on the show itself.
    In fact the debate on this thread gets far more lively than the OTB show ever seems to get - the Keane show was the exception that even drew me in.
    But besides that it is telling there is not much life in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That 3,000 isn't that significant, there is a 3% margin of error in any case. You might dislike aspects of the show, which is your prerogative, I much preferred old versions of OTB - but ratings-wise the show is doing absolutely fine. It is by far the most listened to radio program in that time slot, the only independent show that beats RTE radio in any time slot, has over twice as many listeners as any of it's competitors at that time of night and has maintain that position for over a decade.

I don't I think I put on the radio in the car going to croke park and they were on about the match. Watched the roadshow because of the Keane comments wanted to see what the fuss was.
    But the fundamental problems of the sameness of the show remain for me.
    There are not many 'counterpoints' on the show itself.
    In fact the debate on this thread gets far more lively than the OTB show ever seems to get - the Keane show was the exception that even drew me in.
    But besides that it is telling there is not much life in it.

But what other radio sports show could you say has more life to it? And again, what is normal as such?

It was interesting last night, the Irish game was on 2FM and on Newstalk and on Newstalk they spent most of it talking about some borderline acceptable joke Stuart Byrne (co-commentator) said live on air in the first half.

Would be a safe bet that that was more 'lively' than on the 2FM commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭hawley

Ahwell wrote: »
    That 3,000 isn't that significant, there is a 3% margin of error in any case. You might dislike aspects of the show, which is your prerogative, I much preferred old versions of OTB - but ratings-wise the show is doing absolutely fine. It is by far the most listened to radio program in that time slot, the only independent show that beats RTE radio in any time slot, has over twice as many listeners as any of it's competitors at that time of night and has maintain that position for over a decade.
    Their YouTube channel is an excellent way of catching up on any pieces that you miss or if you only interested in hearing analysis of selected sports. It's very well organised. Even if they have a slight drop on the live radio figures, I'd say that they've seen massive increases on YouTube. Only annoying aspect is that the comment section is overrun with British people having a go at Irish rugby and soccer teams. This influx happened right after Eoin's comments on the English rugby team during the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Wooly has a podcast up this evening, gonna listen to it in the morning.

Was pee gate ever covered on OTB?

monstermag wrote: »
    Was pee gate ever covered on OTB?

Yes

David Meyler another long play interview worth listening to.
    Another career blighted by injury for significant parts.

Didn't know he was so big in to computer gaming.

Yes

Is it a nothing to see here sort of a thing?

I haven't heard that particular interview, l must catch up on it. Seen him covering the friendly the other night on RTE, came across really well, seems a likable type of lad.

• Advertisement

Decent interview but by the way Joe talked it up I was expecting something better. Meyler comes across well and has auditioned well for a role in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Supposedly he’s ridiculously good at FIFA

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Supposedly he’s ridiculously good at FIFA

Yeah, Played some series of competition recently and ended up in world top 100.

Really enjoyed that interview with Derek Daly about his racing career.

Here's the clip of the crash which he described in wonderful detail

Strange sport. I don't like watching it but the stories and careers of drivers is really engrossing (horseracing is usually the opposite -- fun to watch but jockeys are usually dull as hell)

There's also a great book by Steven Matchett called The Mechanics Tale which I think also shows this paradox. One of my favourite sports books of all time and yet I can't be arsed watching a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Really enjoyed that interview with Derek Daly about his racing career.

Here's the clip of the crash which he described in wonderful detail

Strange sport. I don't like watching it but the stories and careers of drivers is really engrossing (horseracing is usually the opposite -- fun to watch but jockeys are usually dull as hell)

There's also a great book by Steven Matchett called The Mechanics Tale which I think also shows this paradox. One of my favourite sports books of all time and yet I can't be arsed watching a race.

A lesser known Irish driver was Tommy Byrne from Louth, ridiculously talented but every bit as undisciplined .
    There was a very interesting documentary made about him a few years back.

Just found it here:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gluppers

Does anyone else find Nathan Murphy very shouty?

gluppers wrote: »
    Does anyone else find Nathan Murphy very shouty?

Wait until Mayo win an All Ireland......

Yes, Nathan Murphy is very loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Declan Lynch talking is usual bollocks on the paper review.

John Greene a bit of a gob****e as well. For in the Indo’s GAA editor he comes out with some very uninformed comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Any reason the commentary of Watford v arsenal isn't on? Just tuned in and Michael Owen is banging on about something and it's snoozeville

Edit - apparently some tech issue impacting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement