Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Aidric wrote: »
    I think that's his major failing. Some of the personal comments on this thread are OTT. He is a decent well meaning bloke but struggles to articulate himself. He seems almost afraid of speaking honestly for fear of upsetting someone, so ends up wrapping himself in boring cliches. To be a respected pundit you have to speak honestly.

For a guy who showed one of the best rugby brains on the pitch it's a shame he doesn't carry it through to his punditry.

It is almost like the 'Alan Shearer effect' great player ****e pundit.

But where O'Driscoll seems to excel (unlike shearer) is tactical stuff.
    He can explain it to an eejit like me who knows nothing about Rugby, while also mentioning the little tricks he used to do bend the rules etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Ryle Nugent is absolutely insufferable.

I loved the way he challenged the nonsense that Sinead O'Carroll was coming out with. I thought he brought a bit of passion to it, and made a change from the usual monotone journalist that we get from the OTB paper review.

I really miss when Kimmage used to be on. Do we know what happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

I loved the way he challenged the nonsense that Sinead O'Carroll was coming out with. I thought he brought a bit of passion to it, and made a change from the usual monotone journalist that we get from the OTB paper review.

Personally i hope they never have Kimmage on again. An insufferable condescending arsehole. One trick pony talking about drugs all the bleeding time

I think his treatment of Joe Molloy was apalling

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

deisedude wrote: »
    Personally i hope they never have Kimmage on again. An insufferable condescending arsehole. One trick pony talking about drugs all the bleeding time

Don't agree with this.

With breaking news of Mo Farahs coach today and recent conversations about SA rugby team we need people to shine a light on drug use.

In cycling, (a sport I love), some of the current metrics are frightening in a supposed clean era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Maybe they came to the conclusion that he is decent on cycling and possibly golf but his level of knowledge is badly exposed with anything else.

It’s not like Kimmage is a great journalist anymore. His articles are fcuking dreadful for the most part.

• Advertisement

Don't agree with this.

With breaking news of Mo Farahs coach today and recent conversations about SA rugby team we need people to shine a light on drug use.

In cycling, (a sport I love), some of the current metrics are frightening in a supposed clean era.

He could still deliver his message without being a pr1ck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Dunno if he'll be back, he's questioned OTB a few times for not pursuing a certain line of questioning relating to drugs issues and they didnt seem happy about it. It was brought up in the paper review a couple of weeks ago and Joe spent 5 mins defending himself over it

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Maybe they came to the conclusion that he is decent on cycling and possibly golf but his level of knowledge is badly exposed with anything else.

It’s not like Kimmage is a great journalist anymore. His articles are fcuking dreadful for the most part.

He seems to be living off his name now as his offerings in the Sindo are woeful, usually rehashed quotes pieced together and they often get very little prominence unless they are one of his big, increasingly rare interviews. Not sure what kind of contract he has with them, but I'd say he's a nightmare to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I agree he can be a bit stilted in his media appearances. Lucky enough to Have been in BODs company in a bar setting let’s say over the years and he’s a completely different man when he’s comfortably away from media and happy to have a few among buddies and have the craic.

What I will say is BOD is in this long term. He has a family to provide for. Don’t be expecting fireworks and drama. He will be a go to guy for years to come in the media I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Can not stand kimmage myself. Have seen personally his ignorance so I’m glad to be able to avoid him on OTB

• Advertisement

Jes I don't remember it being that bad!! He was certainly abrupt with people at times but I thought he was just as direct with everybody. I mean the world of journalism is in need of brave journalists who are not afraid to speak their minds.

I'd doubt that any of the OTB team or any of the sports journalists would have had the balls to do what Kimmage did with Lance Armstrong. I remember him describing how he was persona non grata and could not get work, while the other sports journalists were all still lapping up the Tour.

Anyway I found him entertaining. I remember the day he spoke about David Walsh and his article about his time with the Sky team. It was a great listen.

Have to say that Eoin Sheahan is growing on me. I still find his voice a bit grating. But I think he's a genuine guy, and in fairness he's doing a really good job in Japan, really getting in to it. Much better than Joe Molloy did in Brazil, that's for sure!

Jes I don't remember it being that bad!! He was certainly abrupt with people at times but I thought he was just as direct with everybody. I mean the world of journalism is in need of brave journalists who are not afraid to speak their minds.

I'd doubt that any of the OTB team or any of the sports journalists would have had the balls to do what Kimmage did with Lance Armstrong. I remember him describing how he was persona non grata and could not get work, while the other sports journalists were all still lapping up the Tour.

Anyway I found him entertaining. I remember the day he spoke about David Walsh and his article about his time with the Sky team. It was a great listen.

Ooh, you've picked a hot topic there. IIRC Ger Gilroy get serious abuse here for challenging Lance on an extended interview a couple of years ago. One of Lance's exclamations is still used on the intro to the show.

Granted, Lance was a busted flush at that point but Ger asking him if he had been approached to use motorised wheels was an appropriate question.

I like Paul, he's argumentative but principled. I saw a documentary of him going to the tour in a camper with his wife and it was very revealing. He seemed to both detest it and love it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Have to say that Eoin Sheahan is growing on me. I still find his voice a bit grating. But I think he's a genuine guy, and in fairness he's doing a really good job in Japan, really getting in to it. Much better than Joe Molloy did in Brazil, that's for sure!

His videos with the fans after the ireland games are gas. Especially the second one With the edit with a lad from the first video and then the lad saying he wanted to talk about Saipan haha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have to say that Eoin Sheahan is growing on me. I still find his voice a bit grating. But I think he's a genuine guy, and in fairness he's doing a really good job in Japan, really getting in to it.

It's looking like a smart move to send him out to Japan, his contributions have been informative and entertaining.

In the studio he suffers from being a sidekick to Gilroy's meanderings and usually just fills dead air with vague ramblings. This gig in Japan has given him the opportunity to shine and so far he has grabbed it with both hands.

He recently had a pop at Joe in his column because OTB hadn't been talking about drugs in rugby enough for his liking.

I like Paul, he's argumentative but principled. I saw a documentary of him going to the tour in a camper with his wife and it was very revealing. He seemed to both detest it and love it at the same time.

yeah I remember that Rough Rider I think it was called. I remember one part when Paul was on the boat with the missus recording a piece to camera, with her recording on her mobile phone. He had just gotten through the piece it perfectly when the missus says "Oh sh1t, did I hit record?" and Kimmage then says "Oh for f**k sake". I remember getting a good laugh out of that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Big fan of the same station that said Darts was not a sport and called darts fans and players Brexiteers giving away tickets to one of the PDC's Majors taking place in Dublin.

"Yes BoyleSports, yes BoyleSports, three bags full"

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Disappointed with the lack of Kenny Cunningham this season, doesn't seem to be on as much. But Damien Delaney has really surprised me. Very knowledgeable and interesting to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Disappointed with the lack of Kenny Cunningham this season, doesn't seem to be on as much. But Damien Delaney has really surprised me. Very knowledgeable and interesting to listen to.

Agree on both counts. Damien Delaney has been an excellent addition from what I've heard. Really enjoyed their interview with Jack Byrne last night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Looks like Abu Dhabi golf trip has been shelved - not hearing ads or reminder mentions anymore, some OTB site links dead and now off the travel agent's site:

pYCVs9fl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Was gonna write that. Delaney has had me glued to his analysis the last few days. He's got a media career written all over him I'd say if that's what he wants to go into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

What did he do to Joe Molloy??

Joe Molloy is the least likely person in Ireland to win a physical fight

See Game On are going to 2 hours/night. Getting a head start on the OTB schedule as well. Ruby Walsh will draw a few listeners.
    Donnacha is fairly familiar with media work at this stage but I'm not sure how he will be for a full time radio show, I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

styron wrote: »
    Looks like Abu Dhabi golf trip has been shelved - not hearing ads or reminder mentions anymore, some OTB site links dead and now off the travel agent's site
    Delighted for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

See Game On are going to 2 hours/night. Getting a head start on the OTB schedule as well. Ruby Walsh will draw a few listeners.
    Donnacha is fairly familiar with media work at this stage but I'm not sure how he will be for a full time radio show, I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

Ruby Walsh; the man who said ireland were celebrating failure when we counted beating Italy at the 1994 World Cup as one of our best sporting moments when Italian club football was the strongest on the earth and AC Milan were the absolute cream of that world beating league. Man hasn’t got a clue.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Italian club football was the strongest on the earth and AC Milan were the absolute cream of that world beating league. Man hasn’t got a clue.

Speaking of club football, how many of the Irish players played for Irish clubs? As you probably know, the answer is zero. All of the Italians were, well, Italians. And they all played for Italian clubs.

The irish team was a mix of nationalities, all of whom played in the UK.

I'm not sure I agree with RW, but he is one of the best sportsmen this country has produced and one of the greatest jockeys in the history of racing. He's no eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Speaking of club football, how many of the Irish players played for Irish clubs? As you probably know, the answer is zero. All of the Italians were, well, Italians. And they all played for Italian clubs.

The irish team was a mix of nationalities, all of whom played in the UK.

I'm not sure I agree with RW, but he is one of the best sportsmen this country has produced and one of the greatest jockeys in the history of racing. He's no eejit.

Jockeys get too much credit. The horse does the bulk of the work. The jockey just goes along for the ride. As a sport, it is just a means to an end, with that end being daily betting on multiple events for anyone who wants to roll up. He’s not a sportsman. He’s a jockey.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Jockeys get too much credit. The horse does the bulk of the work. The jockey just goes along for the ride. As a sport, it is just a means to an end, with that end being daily betting on multiple events for anyone who wants to roll up. He’s not a sportsman. He’s a jockey.

Oh lol. So when I was 10 stone and riding for a trainer, why was I never picked for serious work along with plenty of other lads? If we'd had money, we would have paid to get rides! Why were the likes of Walsh and Barry Geraghty and Davy Russell chosen to compete at the top level?

I'm laughing that I'm even putting myself into the same sentence as those guys. You don't seem to agree that jockeys are a limiting factor in racing, ie you think they won't make a difference between winning and losing. Is that right?

That's so absurd I don't think it can be taken seriously, but maybe you can elaborate?

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »

So Darts players are most definitely sportsmen, but Jockeys aren't? Is that the latest state of play here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement