Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

siblers wrote: »
    Is there a podcast of the roadshow with Neville? Can't see anything on Podcast Republic

They appear to be showing it uncut live right now.

Did they not say that this was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" and that the show would not be aired?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Both parts are on the off the ball youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did they not say that this was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" and that the show would not be aired?

They do this fairly regularly around road shows, by saying it won't be aired, they're talking about it going out live. You can bet any decent content will eventually make it's way on to the airwaves.

Also, this means that if there is any part of it which they don't want broadcast, they can leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Watched the show last nite.never seen Joe as fearful looking when Roy was going off on one about Walters.Roy really let himself down with the personal stuff about another man's personal life.and then Roy wonders why he's unemployable as a manager.

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Watched the show last nite.never seen Joe as fearful looking when Roy was going off on one about Walters.Roy really let himself down with the personal stuff about another man's personal life.and then Roy wonders why he's unemployable as a manager.

I saw that as a clip on Twitter. Haven't seen or heard the whole thing yet but that and another clip or two I've seen (Alex and his family and MAtt Taylor one) made it look like Roy came to settle grudges.

Felt it was a bit cringing to hear him so negative about things, and I'm someone who usually liked his forthrightness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I saw that as a clip on Twitter. Haven't seen or heard the whole thing yet but that and another clip or two I've seen (Alex and his family and MAtt Taylor one) made it look like Roy came to settle grudges.

Felt it was a bit cringing to hear him so negative about things, and I'm someone who usually liked his forthrightness.

He was actually in good form for most of the night. They were interviewed for 2.5 or 3 hours, maybe 10 minutes of that was what's been reported on.

Gary Neville egged him on to tell the Mattie Taylor story, which was a funny story and hardly settling a grudge.

Nathan and Joe were asking the questions regarding SAF and the Irish trio. Everyone knows his thoughts on these matters, they couldn't have been surprised whith his answers. There was a lot of truth in what he said - especially regarding Fergie. I do think he went below the belt with the family stuff, and possibly mentioning the circumstances about Walters getting sacked from Blackburn. It's Roy Keane, it's to be expected.

He was actually in good form for most of the night. They were interviewed for 2.5 or 3 hours, maybe 10 minutes of that was what's been reported on.

Gary Neville egged him on to tell the Mattie Taylor story, which was a funny story and hardly settling a grudge.

Nathan and Joe were asking the questions regarding SAF and the Irish trio. Everyone knows his thoughts on these matters, they couldn't have been surprised whith his answers. There was a lot of truth in what he said - especially regarding Fergie. I do think he went below the belt with the family stuff, and possibly mentioning the circumstances about Walters getting sacked from Blackburn. It's Roy Keane, it's to be expected.

Yeah, I must check the whole thing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What he said about Walters regarding his personal life seemed to be largely taken out of context. I'll need to listen to the whole thing but seemed it was about Walter's bitching about Keane that he was having a dig at and not about Walter's family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

siblers wrote: »
    What he said about Walters regarding his personal life seemed to be largely taken out of context. I'll need to listen to the whole thing but seemed it was about Walter's bitching about Keane that he was having a dig at and not about Walter's family

Walters has had a go at Keane, Keane fired back. He mentioned Walters getting fired from Blackburn to highlight that Walters isn't an angel. I don't think he was belittling Walters family problems, more the fact that he was doing the media circuit looking for sympathy, when maybe he should have taken a step out of the limelight and dealt with his issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think he should have left the reference to crying about the family issues out of it. But I love Roy's straight talking. So refreshing in a world of Jim Gavins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

For such an intelligent man his lack of self awareness is staggering. He talks about going back into management and then slags off Walters for crying during a very public and personal interview relating to serious issues going on in Walters life. This is the very reason he is unemployable as a manager. Roy has no right to tell another person how they should deal with grief. Roy needs to realize their their is more ways in life than Roy’s way. Management revolves around people and Roy’s inability to form empathetic relationships with people is stark.
    A fascinating interview in many ways. His honesty is refreshing but lack social boundaries. He has great comedic timing, very quick, and clearly enjoyed playing to the gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

I know one or two people like Roy with it comes to confrontations. We all probably do. In his various issues with certain people he probably has a point, but that point is often lost with his tendency to be unnecessarily nasty.

holyhead wrote: »
    For such an intelligent man his lack of self awareness is staggering. He talks about going back into management and then slags off Walters for crying during a very public and personal interview relating to serious issues going on in Walters life. This is the very reason he is unemployable as a manager. Roy has no right to tell another person how they should deal with grief. Roy needs to realize their their is more ways in life than Roy’s way. Management revolves around people and Roy’s inability to form empathetic relationships with people is stark.
    A fascinating interview in many ways. His honesty is refreshing but lack social boundaries. He has great comedic timing, very quick, and clearly enjoyed playing to the gallery.

I wonder has anyone ever told him that. He spoke highly of his solicitor, I wonder has he told him 'Look, this forthrightness won't help you to get a job, you have to make it look like you take no nonsense but want to work with everyone', or something like that.

Hard to see him being successful in management on the basis of that interview. This whole 'look at his medals' thing means that 95% of players would be dismissed by him out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think he should have left the reference to crying about the family issues out of it. But I love Roy's straight talking. So refreshing in a world of Jim Gavins.

First off I have not being a Roy Keane fan since his Saipan episode.

But I do appreciate that Keane speaks his mind.
    Keane is from a different era a man's man - 'get on with it'- 'get over it move on'
    I can understand from Keane's perspective that he thinks Walters is milking it a bit playing the PR game. The human interest story would never interest Keane.

I remember when Robbie Keane's partner/wife had a baby he was asked does he think it will effect Robbie's performance in an upcoming game.
    His response was the Robbie is not the one having the baby and once he was not breastfeeding he should be alright.

OTB have really hit the jackpot on this roadshow with Keane in fairness to them.
    Keane is an anathema to everything OTB tries to portray as a station - they like to say all the right things, be politically correct, not say what they really think for the most part. Joe Molloy - Kevin Kilbane in particular.

I think Roy is what OTB as a show is really lacking someone with forthright opinions, who does not care about political correctness, who calls things as he sees it. His comments about SAF and Preston seemed very valid

Andy Goldstien's reaction on talksport to the comments were telling -

https://twitter.com/i/status/1169656442187603968

'You can't say anything negative about Fergie' :D

Cascarino claimed that Roy Keane is turning punditry into the 'Jeremy Kyle show' and Roy Keane is a 'bully'

https://talksport.com/football/598304/roy-keane-jeremy-kyle-show-tony-cascarino/

But I think Keane (or a person like Keane) is exactly what the OTB show needs.
    A much needed antidote to all the bland sameness, that perpetuates the show.

Gilroy is creaming himself with the reaction the show has gotten as other news organisations have picked up quotes - rightly so it is a job well done marketing wise.
    But they should go one step further and give Keane a residency OTB every so often at least.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Reality is people are affected by what's going on in their lives. Most people anyway.

If Keane thinks none of that should matter 'because you're a footballer' , he'll probably find himself struggling to get a job, or being successful in one long term.

Child births and deaths of close family members are things you should understand influencing a person's mindset.

Reality is people are affected by what's going on in their lives. Most people anyway.

If Keane thinks none of that should matter 'because you're a footballer' , he'll probably find himself struggling to get a job, or being successful in one long term.

Child births and deaths of close family members are things you should understand influencing a person's mindset.

You see to a person like Keane a birth is not within his control.
    A death is not in his control either, it would not affect him negatively when he steps over that white line.
    In fact it would drive him on to play better do his job on the pitch throw himself into it.

The culture nowadays is to be fashionably 'overly sensitive' regardless of your gender. Comedians in thier 50's like Bill Burr have commented how the younger generation are shocked at his comedy. When it should be the other way around.

I am starting to think that this culture shift might have something to do with social media where people feel the need to document every aspect of thier lives, and look for sympathy/praise or the like. It has become the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Loved the Keane road show.. Spoke what he felt was the truth. The only thing is that in this day and age, it is dangerous to speak the truth, with the way the world has gone PC mad..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Loved the Keane road show.. Spoke what he felt was the truth. The only thing is that in this day and age, it is dangerous to speak the truth, with the way the world has gone PC mad..

Isn't Keane always whimpering on about things that were said about him, he seems more sensitive than the snowflakes (feel dirty typing that moronic buzzword)

Isn't Keane always whimpering on about things that were said about him, he seems more sensitive than the snowflakes (feel dirty typing that moronic buzzword)

He is definitely a fella to hold a grudge that is for sure.
    If things are done the 'right way' as he sees it.
    Despite being the polar opposite to the 'snowflakes' and gets tremendous offence if - his loyalty, professionalism or integrity is questioned.

Then if anyone is not upfront, loyal, professional, honest, (as sees it) he has no time for them. It always seems to be the same pattern with him.
    No matter who they are from SAF to 'Wardy' or Walters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Thought it was a great watch tbh. I find Keane quite refreshing to listen to as he doesn’t give the same old cliche answers as most. Unlike some, I don’t feel the mood changed too much after the Irish stuff but I think the conversation dwelled on it a bit too long.

However, I don’t think that will have done him any favours in getting back into management. As much as I found him refreshing, I wouldn’t touch him if I was an owner looking for a manager.

I also think having Neville was a bit strange. They didn’t really focus too much on him or get him involved as much as they should’ve i thought.

I also thought Joe and Dan did a great job interviewing and let the lads at it but I see Neville has had a go at Joe maybe on Twitter? I can tell see what Joe might have done to aggravate him to that extent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Every man and his dog has something or other to say about Keane.. It is only right that he has the right to reply, Keane is not always the victim, but I think now he is playing up to the crowd, you can tell that 9 times out of 10 he is taking the piss, seeing how far he can push it, I bet he spends his time laughing at everybody going mad at what he says..

You see to a person like Keane a birth is not within his control.
    A death is not in his control either, it would not affect him negatively when he steps over that white line.
    In fact it would drive him on to play better do his job on the pitch throw himself into it.

The culture nowadays is to be fashionably 'overly sensitive' regardless of your gender. Comedians in thier 50's like Bill Burr have commented how the younger generation are shocked at his comedy. When it should be the other way around.

I am starting to think that this culture shift might have something to do with social media where people feel the need to document every aspect of thier lives, and look for sympathy/praise or the like. It has become the norm.

Yeah but there is a bit of a difference from what we've seen with current players, such as Adam Lallana saying he wouldn't be mentally ready to play Southampton as a Liverpool player 6 months after being sold by then or Yaya Toure losing the rag over his birthday and births or deaths.

The question to Keane about Robbie was an easy set up for Keane to say "Thankfully the birth went well and mother and baby are fine and I expect Robbie to be buzzing and to play with a spring in his step."

Bill Burr is a good example, he became a father when he was nearly 50 and has remarked several times (particularly on his podcast) on how it changed him and made him tolerate or do stuff before that he would have been losing the rag over.

Thought it was a great watch tbh. I find Keane quite refreshing to listen to as he doesn’t give the same old cliche answers as most. Unlike some, I don’t feel the mood changed too much after the Irish stuff but I think the conversation swelled on it a bit too long.

However, I don’t think that will have done him any favours in getting back into management. As much as I found him refreshing, I wouldn’t touch him if I was an owner looking for a manager.

I also think having Neville was a bit strange. They didn’t really focus too much on him or get him involved as much as they should’ve i thought.

I also thought Joe and Dan did a great job interviewing and let the lads at it but I see Neville has had a go at Joe maybe on Twitter? I can tell see what Joe might have done to aggravate him to that extent?

I found the tweet

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/1170265760041766912

Too much interjecting by the host according to Gary, and was not given the chance to speak.

Thought it was a great watch tbh. I find Keane quite refreshing to listen to as he doesn’t give the same old cliche answers as most. Unlike some, I don’t feel the mood changed too much after the Irish stuff but I think the conversation swelled on it a bit too long.

It was the bit where Joe wanted to ask something, Gary wanted to ask something and Joe didn't step back to let him carry on. He did have a cut on Twitter at presenters thinking they know more than the guest. Andy Mitten was one who responded that he was wrong in this instance.

Interestingly, Gary had nearly the exact same interaction with Ken Early when on the Second Captains. Right down to the temperature rising a little bit.
    Someone made that point on Twitter that maybe Gary is used to UK presenters fawning over the guests.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haven't listened to it yet, but Neville came across terribly on the Second Captains podcast last year, shouting Ken Early down and making snide comments trying to get laughs out of the crowd, wouldn't be surprised if he put in a similar shift in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

That’s very harsh from Neville if it was only that 1 instance. He came across very arrogant in that exchange with Joe I felt.

I think if OTB planned on going down the road on Ireland and spending an amount of time on it, I don’t think they should’ve got Neville to come on. I remember thinking at one stage it was ages since Neville had spoke. He must have been dying to talk which is why he reacted to Joe the way he did.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That’s very harsh from Neville if it was only that 1 instance. He came across very arrogant in that exchange with Joe I felt.

I think if OTB planned on going down the road on Ireland and spending an amount of time on it, I don’t think they should’ve got Neville to come on. I remember thinking at one stage it was ages since Neville had spoke. He must have been dying to talk which is why he reacted to Joe the way he did.

Gary’s question was absolutely ****e as well.

That tweet is completely wrong as well. Whether you like him or not, nobody is dropping Joe Molloy for some ex-pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Haven't listened to it yet, but Neville came across terribly on the Second Captains podcast last year, shouting Ken Early down and making snide comments trying to get laughs out of the crowd, wouldn't be surprised if he put in a similar shift in this.

Absolutely agree, Neville came across as an absolute prat during the second captains interview last year. Could not be seen to lose an argument. I know people don't like mentioning these guys, but he was basically an arrogant bully to the Arsenal Fan TV guys as well during the infamous time they interviewed him - seemed that a lot of his motivation in doing it was to take them down a peg. Get a sleeven type vibe off him all the time.

I listened back to it last week, he would try to past off his sneeriness as 'banter', he even had a go at Eoin at one point 'I'm the good one, Gary' which was a good light hearted reply.

I don't see much of him on English telly, are they more fawning of him there and that part of the reason he can't take anyone challenging him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I listened back to it last week, he would try to past off his sneeriness as 'banter', he even had a go at Eoin at one point 'I'm the good one, Gary' which was a good light hearted reply.

I don't see much of him on English telly, are they more fawning of him there and that part of the reason he can't take anyone challenging him at all.

Yup, he was exactly the same with the AFTV guys. Full of the jokey banter, but it was always there to prove that he was the alpha-male. Didn't like being asked a coherent question - which were in admittedly short supply from the poor AFTV fellas - that challenged him. One of them assembled enough about him at one stage and put a fairly good point to Gary and, rather than deal with the substance of the question, Gary made a big joke about how "you've probably studied communications" and kind of kept up the pointed banter until he'd reasserted dominance again.

There was also something in the way he laughed like a ventriloquist's dummy throughout Keanes bile that made me think he's just a bit of an odious creature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement