Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Yeah I thought that interaction between Joe and Gary Neville was a bit odd as well. I thought it was a bit arrogant of Gary neville to try to taking over the asking of the questions, given that he was a paid guest. But I thought that Joe should have just let him ask the question, and let the audience see his petty "pulling of rank" move for what it was, rather than try to arm wrestle him for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

We all know pr1cks like Neville who always have to have the last word and think they are witty but they are just an asshole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

deisedude wrote: »
    We all know pr1cks like Neville who always have to have the last word and think they are witty but they are just an asshole

I'm fairness, everyone turned up to listen to Keane and Neville, not Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'm fairness, everyone turned up to listen to Keane and Neville, not Joe.

Exactly, but that’s what Joe and Dan had been doing during the interview, they just let Roy at it, it was just this instance that Joe intervened and tbf should’ve let Neville asked his question. But there was absolute no need for Neville’s reaction.

Something that also I haven’t seen mentioned was Roy’s comments on Kenny Cunningham. I’d say that out Joe in an uncomfortable position. I like Kenny on the show so it’ll be interesting to see what he’s to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why did 2 guests need 2 interviewers?

Surely one would have been sufficient?

the guy on the left is zero craic. See the face on him for most of it, cold, dead-pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

siblers wrote: »
    What he said about Walters regarding his personal life seemed to be largely taken out of context. I'll need to listen to the whole thing but seemed it was about Walter's bitching about Keane that he was having a dig at and not about Walter's family

I watched the whole thing to see what the fuss was about, and so the words are not taken in isolation.
    I think you have it spot on Keane mentioned the family situation more as a throw-away part of his answer meaning is was all over the media He then mentioned numerous times that Walters should have 'laid low'

The 'crying on tv about his family situation' clearly makes a more sensational headline for the journalists though. Which is understandable.

I thought the dynamic of the whole thing was odd most questions Neville were asked were about 'Roy Keane' most of the time. With Keane sitting beside him.
    It seemed very odd.
    If the English are guilty of fawning over Gary Neville - surely the same accusation can surely be leveled to the Irish media's treatment of Roy Keane?
    The more than a footballer persona/myth etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why did 2 guests need 2 interviewers?

Surely one would have been sufficient?

the guy on the left is zero craic. See the face on him for most of it, cold, dead-pan.

Meet Joe. The most politically correct, moralistic and virtuous member of the OTB team. That is quiet a feat let me tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I watched the whole thing to see what the fuss was about, and so the words are not taken in isolation.
    I think you have it spot on Keane mentioned the family situation more as a throw-away part of his answer meaning is was all over the media He then mentioned numerous times that Walters should have 'laid low'

The 'crying on tv about his family situation' clearly makes a more sensational headline for the journalists though. Which is understandable.

I thought the dynamic of the whole thing was odd most questions Neville were asked were about 'Roy Keane' most of the time. With Keane sitting beside him.
    It seemed very odd.
    If the English are guilty of fawning over Gary Neville - surely the same accusation can surely be leveled to the Irish media's treatment of Roy Keane?
    The more than a footballer persona/myth etc.

Not just the media.
    The crowd breaking into 'Keano', 'Keano', 'Keano' was a bit much.

Given how much Keane said about his view of modern players, and how he rates a player based on their medal haul, I'd have liked to see Nathan or Joe asked him if he could see how that would be a problem for him being considered for managerial roles.

Can't imagine a squad full of players who would buy in to this in todays game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The way Keane turned on the presenter over Walters was fascinating and telling. I’ll be amazed having watched the 2 hours if he gets a club management position in the future.

holyhead wrote: »
    The way Keane turned on the presenter over Walters was fascinating and telling. I’ll be amazed having watched the 2 hours if he gets a club management position in the future.

I would say most championship level teams in England and downward would still take him. Especially if they wanted to get a bit of profile for thier club. Even though Keane said he hates watching it.

In Ireland Cork City is not an option, because Neale Fenn just got that job.

• Advertisement

I would say most championship level teams in England and downward would still take him. Especially if they wanted to get a bit of profile for thier club. Even though Keane said he hates watching it.

He spoke very strongly about moving back to Ireland.
    I got the feeling early on in the piece that he was very much angling for the Irish job in future. CAn't remember now if he ruled it out and said he'd prefer a club job.
    Interestingly, there was no comment made or questions asked about the shenanigans going on in the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

He spoke very strongly about moving back to Ireland.
    I got the feeling early on in the piece that he was very much angling for the Irish job in future. CAn't remember now if he ruled it out and said he'd prefer a club job.
    Interestingly, there was no comment made or questions asked about the shenanigans going on in the FAI.

They briefly tried to bring up the FAI, and Keane brushed it off. Maybe there was an agreement before hand, Newstalk are owned by DOB, good mates with JD. Both are fond of using their legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

That’s very harsh from Neville if it was only that 1 instance. He came across very arrogant in that exchange with Joe I felt.

I think if OTB planned on going down the road on Ireland and spending an amount of time on it, I don’t think they should’ve got Neville to come on. I remember thinking at one stage it was ages since Neville had spoke. He must have been dying to talk which is why he reacted to Joe the way he did.
    or maybe, like when he did actually cut in, he had little to say.
    He kept on jumping in with little comments and quips and then giggling away to himself but little of it had any substance.

Talking about himself was fine, but him trying to jump in to Keane's conversation killed it at a few times, and if it had been a one-on-one with Joe and Keane, it would have been much more insightful IMO.

the worst was Keane talking away about something, and Neville jumped in with "You know, I was so calm when I was in Pret-A-Manger this morning hahaha". Yeah, thanks for that Gary, great contribution :rolleyes: Can we get back to what Roy was saying/ranting about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I thought Neville came across worse than Keane tbh. That interaction with Joe was cringeworthy, he made a complete tool of himself. And then giggling like a 4 year old girl at stuff Keane was saying that wasn't even that funny... my god, that squeaky laugh :mad:

I've been a big fan of Keane over the years at his no nonsense straight talking approach but I felt the tone of this interview felt all wrong. A nasty bitter tone to a lot of the stuff he was saying. It's 14 years since he left United, maybe its time to let it go.

Obviously we know these guys live on a different planet to most of us in terms of money. But I felt all that talk about Villas in Spain/Portugal not being up to scratch and 5k fines being "small change" (or words to that effect) just served to highlight how far removed Keane/Neville and their ilk are from us mere mortals. A real arrogance about it that I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Never liked Keane. To me he comes across as a horrible person. A nasty bully. I wouldn't waste my time listening to him speak but have enjoyed the comments on here about the interview.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I've been a big fan of Keane over the years at his no nonsense straight talking approach but I felt the tone of this interview felt all wrong. A nasty bitter tone to a lot of the stuff he was saying. It's 14 years since he left United, maybe its time to let it go.

I thought it was a bit ironic to mention a certain player living off scoring a goal against Holland for 20 years while also talking about a lot of things which happened 15-20 years ago.

This is another example where you'd think an ad visor would point out the conflict with a lot of what he says and how it will impede him going back in to management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭rrs

I don't think they would. Its 8 years since he last managed at Ipswich.. He might get a lower Championship team club or maybe not.. You don't hear his name being in the frame for jobs..
    The way the Ireland spell ended won't have helped, d and himself and O Neill weren't liked by the players in the short stint at Forrest.

I thought it was a bit ironic to mention a certain player living off scoring a goal against Holland for 20 years while also talking about a lot of things which happened 15-20 years ago.

This is another example where you'd think an ad visor would point out the conflict with a lot of what he says and how it will impede him going back in to management.

In fairness to Keane though he was asked about his views on Ferguson - all his most recent dealings with Ferguson were 14 years ago - he was also asked about Siapan by Joe who attempted to try and get the 'how were you feeling' angle. (which fell a bit flat)

Keane has not changed his view on Ferguson he did not like the 'manner' he was told to leave - the club gave him a prepared statement etc - rather than saying you can leave in January etc. Keane said he would have said fair enough to that.

Also his reaction to the Siapan question was here we go again - sick of talking about it - but he spoke about it quickly and humoured Joe.

Keane is an anathema to everything OTB tries to portray as a station - they like to say all the right things, be politically correct, not say what they really think for the most part. Joe Molloy - Kevin Kilbane in particular.

I think Roy is what OTB as a show is really lacking someone with forthright opinions, who does not care about political correctness, who calls things as he sees it. His comments about SAF and Preston seemed very valid
    It always amazes me that there are people out there who, if they have kind or empathic ideas (say, acknowledging mental health awareness, or not being a dick to women) a small minority of people think that it's an insincere or contrived outlook.

I think the lads on OTB are all very forthright. I believe they do call things as they see them -- it's just that they have a different opinion to you.

That implies that maybe you just dislike them because they have a different outlook.

I don't know what Keane's politics are, but I actually do like him. It's just a hunch, but I reckon he'd have a few choice words for people who act the dick towards others for ideological reasons. Keane's never struck me as a bleeding heart, but I doubt he's a Conservative.

It always amazes me that there are people out there who, if they have kind or empathic ideas (say, acknowledging mental health awareness, or not being a dick to women) a small minority of people think that it's an insincere or contrived outlook.

I think the lads on OTB are all very forthright. I believe they do call things as they see them -- it's just that they have a different opinion to you.

That implies that maybe you just dislike them because they have a different outlook.

I don't know what Keane's politics are, but I actually do like him. It's just a hunch, but I reckon he'd have a few choice words for people who act the dick towards others for ideological reasons. Keane's never struck me as a bleeding heart, but I doubt he's a Conservative.

I think you are missing my underlying point, there is no real alternative viewpoint on OTB it is all very samey.
    Oh great point x, thank you y, z agrees.

Even if you look at this site why has it survived so long?
    It is viewed as a antiquated form of media by some younger generations.
    But it provides contrary opinion it stimulates debate.

There just does not seem to be that in OTB. How often is there real genuine contrary opinion?
    Which is why the Keane interview has caused so much controversy someone who actually has alternate viewpoints and shoots from the hip.
    Not 'playing as devils advocate' actually saying what he thinks.

As for my contrived outlook comment yes I think that is true for Ger Gilroy in particular. I always get the sense that he just want to be the smug right person, who is full of self important faux gravitas.
    He seems a lot like Gary Neville in that way.
    If you watch the bit where Gary Neville says first says 'my time in Valencia' making his 'serious' point. Some of the crowd start laughing Gary is uncomfortable and keeps going.
    That would never have happened in England. The audience would pander to him in the UK (for the most-part) he is Gary Neville.
    From this point of view it was also interesting to see others comments online, who have not viewed Joe/Nathan before and are from outside Ireland. It is a vastly different viewpoint/mindset.

If you think most people in the media are 'forthright' why is there public relations, marketing, spin? Why do only certain programmes get viewed by the same people? It is because the people the programme is aimed at largely agree with the comments, then it leads to a groupthink.
    Who is the advertising aimed at who are the target audience? Largely the same group of people.
    It is much safer these days to sound the same, to have the homogeneous view. To be careful toe the party line, or at least appear to.

As I said before I am not a fan of Keane, but at least he says what he thinks.But he makes people think about thier viewpoints, gives an alternative view, in the same way that you are giving an alternate view to mine.
    Maybe it is the minority group you might have a point there, but on the other hand that might only be the minority within a certain demographic or target audience.

This would be a really boring conversation if we agreed with each other.
    I can say maybe you have a point about xyz, but not abc.

OTB has just become largely like those morning breakfast shows where the female host giggles/ agrees/laughs at everything the male host says. (Whether it is funny or true).
    Which is why the Keane OTB roadshow got so much traction it was opinion honestly given, and different to the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I thought Neville came across worse than Keane tbh. That interaction with Joe was cringeworthy, he made a complete tool of himself. And then giggling like a 4 year old girl at stuff Keane was saying that wasn't even that funny... my god, that squeaky laugh :mad:

I think joe made a fool of himself.
    Why did he have to get a question in, instead of letting Neville ramble on?
    Joe should have laughed it off and let Gary speak.
    But instead wanted to butt in and be rude.

The one time joe should have interrupted, is when Roy slagged Kenny Cunningham.
    But he wouldnt dare interrupt/debate Roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I did enjoy listening to the interview, there was one point during the interview where keane talks about "not being fooled by SAF man management" when he got rid of bruce, robson etc.

But earlier in the interview he talks about man management being one of SAF strengths ! Now, i could be wrong on this but i remember thinking at the time that he contradicted himself, but he did say in the interview that he was a "walking contradiction" :)

I think you are missing my underlying point, there is no real alternative viewpoint on OTB it is all very samey.
    Oh great point x, thank you y, z agrees.

OTB has just become largely like those morning breakfast shows where the female host giggles/ agrees/laughs at everything the male host says. (Whether it is funny or true).
    Which is why the Keane OTB roadshow got so much traction it was opinion honestly given, and different to the majority.

OTB is a sports radio show. Is it really supposed to be a bastion of opposing views? In what way?
    Paul Kimmage has been on the show a lot and he certainly has fairly forthright views in many areas. David Brady has strong opinions.

Eoin Sheehan often disagrees with Ger Gilroy on topics on the morning show.

I do notice that Ewan Mackenna hasn't been near the place since he was on pouring water on Irish rugby celebrations but he hasn't been appearing on other Irish media to discuss that topic either. There are some areas where there isn't really a market for negativity even though it can have a basis in reality.

Thought that Walters came across quite well with his response to Keane on that YouTube show.

I heard Wooly's podcast about Brolly and Whelan the other night and it was like a breath of fresh air compared to OTB. He basically got stuck in to everybody, not shackled by the political correctness and not in fear of his life of offending somebody. Always enjoyed him on OTB, and his own show is very entertaining.

He had a right go at Brolly last week, and criticised Whelan for his 180 on the Clifford decision. Cant wait for his next podcast after the Brolly call to David Gough.

I heard Wooly's podcast about Brolly and Whelan the other night and it was like a breath of fresh air compared to OTB. He basically got stuck in to everybody, not shackled by the political correctness and not in fear of his life of offending somebody. Always enjoyed him on OTB, and his own show is very entertaining.

He had a right go at Brolly last week, and criticised Whelan for his 180 on the Clifford decision. Cant wait for his next podcast after the Brolly call to David Gough.

Yeah, Wooly is good for the bit of getting the heckles up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Yeah, Wooly is good for the bit of getting the heckles up.

Wooly was a great loss to Off The Ball. Very badly mistreated, by Joe and Ger and their sidekicks. Almost bullied into being the class clown on radio every night, humiliating stuff, although had a great insight into sports all round. He was new to it and either took it in the ass for a while or was just naive and an all round piss take, I'd say he looks back and cringes at what he had to endure from his co-hosts. What exactly was the fall out or his reasons for leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Very badly mistreated, by Joe and Ger and their sidekicks. Almost bullied into being the class clown on radio every night, humiliating stuff, although had a great insight into sports all round. He was new to it and either took it in the ass for a while or was just naive and an all round piss take, I'd say he looks back and cringes at what he had to endure from his co-hosts. What exactly was the fall out or his reasons for leaving?

What? You must be a very sensitive soul to have that take of his time at OTB. None of that happened. I'm guessing Wooly left in a strop, because that's what he does. Or maybe he just got a better offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Ahwell wrote: »
    I'm guessing Wooly left in a strop, because that's what he does. Or maybe he just got a better offer.

So in other words, you haven’t a breeze. Guessing and maybe’s...thanks for your insight.

He left after a falling out and it was very sudden and they still have regular spats on Twitter, this much is true, I was looking for details of which you’ve zero so maybe the maybes and the guesses aren’t really worthwhile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Yes, i really enjoy Wooly and the GAA Hour. During the championship it's 4 good shows per week, two hurling and two football. I never miss it. Some good guests, also, my favourite being Cheddar Plunkett, a better hurling analyst you will struggle to find. Bravo all round. Top podcast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement