Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    No it doesn't what?

No it doesn't................. make perfect sense for everybody. It was a fairly ridiculous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

No it doesn't................. make perfect sense for everybody. It was a fairly ridiculous statement.

Sorry, makes sense for everybody except those who think they deserve to be entertained by sports they have already decided aren't good enough for them to watch.

Sorry, makes sense for everybody except those who think they deserve to be entertained by sports they have already decided aren't good enough for them to watch.

Shoving inferior sport in people's faces because Twitter dictates it isn't good for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Professional sports are businesses.

What other business in the world has society decided the government and media should be making efforts to prop them up.

I'm all for putting more funding for grassroots sport for boys and girls but once you get to adult level you should be on your own and you have to make it financially viable if people are to be paid for their efforts.

Nobody whines about athletes in minority sports not getting paid anything for their efforts and not getting enough media attention and yet when it's certain female sports it seems to be a massive issue that they may not begetting paid a great sum of money or getting enough media attention.

I watch loads of women's sports during the year but I don't consider someone who doesn't watch women's sports to be sexist as it's obvious they are clearly not as good as the male equivalent (that's just the way it is) and if people have a limited amount of free time it's understandable they are more likely the watch the better version of the sport that is available, you cannot force people to like something just because you think it's good for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Professional sports are businesses.

What other business in the world has society decided the government and media should be making efforts to prop them up.

I'm all for putting more funding for grassroots sport for boys and girls but once you get to adult level you should be on your own and you have to make it financially viable if people are to be paid for their efforts.

Nobody whines about athletes in minority sports not getting paid anything for their efforts and not getting enough media attention and yet when it's certain female sports it seems to be a massive issue that they may not begetting paid a great sum of money or getting enough media attention.

I watch loads of women's sports during the year but I don't consider someone who doesn't watch women's sports to be sexist as it's obvious they are clearly not as good as the male equivalent (that's just the way it is) and if people have a limited amount of free time it's understandable they are more likely the watch the better version of the sport that is available, you cannot force people to like something just because you think it's good for the world.

GAA is amateur blinky.
    That notwithstanding, the benefits to society of an active sports scene is extensive with virtually zero downsides.

Also, I don't either consider someone who doesn't watch female sports to be sexist. I consider someone who thinks because they are female the sport is undeserving of being watched to be sexist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I consider someone who thinks because they are female the sport is undeserving of being watched to be sexist.

The quality is bad is the reason I don't watch it. Why is the quality bad? Because they are female...

doylefe wrote: »
    The quality is bad is the reason I don't watch it. Why is the quality bad? Because they are female...

Others might say that the quality is bad because they have had nowhere near the coaching or facilities support which male teams have had but that when they get to enjoy similar resources over a generation or two, that the quality will most definitely increase.

Others would say that the quality is not at all all bad now and that some of the individual skills on show are very impressive. Check out video of 14 points scored by Donegal footballer recently. Left foot, right foot, tight angles, from distance, solo-efforts and end of team move. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it.

Others might say that the quality is bad because they have had nowhere near the coaching or facilities support which male teams have had but that when they get to enjoy similar resources over a generation or two, that the quality will most definitely increase.

Others would say that the quality is not at all all bad now and that some of the individual skills on show are very impressive. Check out video of 14 points scored by Donegal footballer recently. Left foot, right foot, tight angles, from distance, solo-efforts and end of team move. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it.

The matches themselves are poor fare and there's already too much coverage of it.

That's like saying a soccer player is great when you make a YouTube compilation. The matches themselves are poor fare and there's already too much coverage of it.

Have you seen mens intercounty football recently.

Basketball without the shot-clock in a lot of games. Superfunded team approaching 5 in a row supported with home venue for neutral super 8 round and apathy in the stands at what is going on.

Have you seen mens intercounty football recently.

Basketball without the shot-clock in a lot of games. Superfunded team approaching 5 in a row supported with home venue for neutral super 8 round and apathy in the stands at what is going on.

Yeah that's enough now. There's a special thread in the GAA forum for your lemony tears.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's enough now. There's a special thread in the GAA forum for your lemony tears.

Oh I'm sorry.
    Should we get back to bitching about how bad the show is?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Shoving inferior sport in people's faces because Twitter dictates it isn't good for everyone.

This inferior sport business, I've heard it a few times. I'm curious about what it means.

I mean, do you get all hot and bothered about coverage of the Irish men's international team, when there are so many superior teams in the rest of the world?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is it being covered at the expense of anything else?

I didn't think so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I think they should cover motor sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

redbuck wrote: »

I think they should cover women's motor sport, cos it's just as good as the men's

redbuck wrote: »

I think there's scope for them to cover a lot more.

Current always on are;
    Soccer, GAA, Rugby, Golf, Horse racing, Boxing/MMA (to some degree).

On occasion;
    Athletics, Tennis, US Sports, cycling (when there's controversy), hockey, rowing

Rarely mentioned;
    Snooker, Darts, Motor sport, racquet sports (badminton, squash), shooting/archery, swimming,

I'd like to see them make better use of the Friday night slot or the online options to cover some of the rarely mentioned sports or the on occasion ones. Cycling is one that there's a lot of scope to cover and interest in it. Soo too Athletics.

Would like to see them do interviews with junior or less well known stars in these events even if it's only 5 minutes. Might be an opportunity to give media students an opportunity to host these interviews to build their experience as a lot of the junior stars are in college as well. Do it as a podcast without images even. See what comes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The people they actually need to get interested in women's sports are those who aren't listening to off the ball.

Those who are likely don't have room in their life for another sport (which to be fair isn't as good, and is the same reason many of the same people don't watch LOI). Lecturing people doesn't help. Just cos it's a relation of the men's game, it doesn't automatically deserve attention.

These sports need to be targeting the next generation of women and encouraging them to watch and get involved as without an increase in people as a whole watching sports there simply isn't room for woman's soccer etc and it will remain a minority sport (and that is ok, thousands of sports are).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

That AIG ad is laughable. "Effort is equal"

naughtb4 wrote: »
    The people they actually need to get interested in women's sports are those who aren't listening to off the ball.

Those who are likely don't have room in their life for another sport (which to be fair isn't as good, and is the same reason many of the same people don't watch LOI). Lecturing people doesn't help. Just cos it's a relation of the men's game, it doesn't automatically deserve attention.
    I think you have a point here; the skill level in camogie and in women's football isn't great.

But why not? Elite female tennis players, and female jockeys (for example) are every bit as skilled as their male counterparts (that's not to say they're as competitive, I'm speaking here only of skills).

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. The audience for female competition in the GAA is more sparse, because the skills displayed aren't as strong, because the audience is more sparse, etc.

At least the OTB lads are discussing it. Nothing will ever change if the issue isn't highlighted. I agree with you completely in relation to the next generations of female sportspeople. I do believe we're in the midst of a cultural shift, and the results won't be perceived immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

I think you have a point here; the skill level in camogie and in women's football isn't great.

But why not? Elite female tennis players, and female jockeys (for example) are every bit as skilled as their male counterparts (that's not to say they're as competitive, I'm speaking here only of skills).

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. The audience for female competition in the GAA is more sparse, because the skills displayed aren't as strong, because the audience is more sparse, etc.

At least the OTB lads are discussing it. Nothing will ever change if the issue isn't highlighted. I agree with you completely in relation to the next generations of female sportspeople. I do believe we're in the midst of a cultural shift, and the results won't be perceived immediately.

Female tennis players are nowhere close to being as skilled as their male counterparts.It is easier to execute the skill of a sport if competition is of a lower standard, increased level of competition increases the skill level.They don't seem to be able to put as much spin on the ball as male players and the rate of unforced errors in womens tennis is higher than in mens tennis.

The only way womens sport will grow properly is if more women support it.I think around 80% of the Audience for the last womens world cup final in the USA were men.

Womens sport were are being told is supposed to be important to women and a feminist issue ( or so the media tells us ) and yet it is men who make up the majority of viewership of womens sport, if it is so important to women then more women would be tuning in and supporting female sports but truth is it probably isn't. Women tend to be far more interested in participating in sport rather than watching it on television which is fine.Sports bodies if the want to grow their audience should be trying to get more women to watch womens sport not try and guilt men into watching it but truth is women just aren't quite as interested in being spectators as men are.

• Advertisement

Womens sport were are being told is supposed to be important to women and a feminist issue ( or so the media tells us ) and yet it is men who make up the majority of viewership of womens sport, if it is so important to women then more women would be tuning in and supporting female sports but truth is it probably isn't. Women tend to be far more interested in participating in sport rather than watching it on television which is fine.Sports bodies if the want to grow their audience should be trying to get more women to watch womens sport not try and guilt men into watching it but truth is women just aren't quite as interested in being spectators as men are.

You're missing the point here I think.
    Most fans currently are male largely, I think, because they played sport when they were younger and developed an affinity for it. Or they watched it as a child with their dads in a way young girls were less likely to do.

Larger female attendence will follow larger participation as a child which will also increase numbers playing as adults and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Poor Anthony Moyles at the end of the show today was on the verge of despair as to what Gaelic Football has become and what the GAA have allowed it to become. It's well worth a listen to.

As an aside, I was listening to the start of the show and Joe was saying how he was in favour of the financial doping of Dublin. A few minutes later they were on about the poor standards of the press box in Antrim yesterday, totally failing to see the connection between the two issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I made the mistake of listening to the paper review yesterday when I was driving to Croke Park.
    I decided to give it a chance.
    The word 'piece' must have been said what felt like 100 times, in about a half hour period.
    It seemed to be just a lot of backslapping between/about contemporary journalists that they liked and/or agreed with.
    One fella called a guy a 'world class' journalist twice.

For fellas who are supposed to be fond of wordage and vocabulary, wouldn't you think they would use a different word instead of 'piece' now and again?
    What about 'item', 'article' etc?
    It ended up annoying me and I turned it off.
    My head needed some piece peace.
    And others have said on here that the paper review is the best thing left on OTB?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I made the mistake of listening to the paper review yesterday when I was driving to Croke Park.
    The word 'piece' must have been said what felt like 100 times, in about a half hour period.
    It seemed to be just a lot of backslapping between/about contemporary journalists that they liked and/or agreed with.

For fellas who are supposed to be fond of wordage and vocabulary, wouldn't you think they would use a different word instead of 'piece' now and again?
    And others have said on here that the paper review is the best thing left on OTB?

Really seems like you really made an effort to find something to give out about. Well done on being so dedicated, looks like you had to dig deep, real deep, but, you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Really seems like you really made an effort to find something to give out about. Well done on being so dedicated, looks like you had to dig deep, real deep, but, you got there.

What?
    It is just my opinion that it was terrible sycophantic stuff 'world class' journalist - twice. :rolleyes:
    Piece this, piece that. :rolleyes:
    If I find it annoying I can't help it.
    I am not sure what dedication has to do with it?
    Radio is supposed to informative and/or entertaining for me it was neither.

Did you listen to the segment/'piece' ?
    What was your assessment of it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I used to think it was but I’ve changed my opinion. It’s a show by journalists, for journalists and they do as much eulogising of a dying medium as they do talking sport and/or solving social issues, related or unrelated to sport. Equality for women and the hypocritical denunciation of gambling are regular features, as is Paul Kimmage’s one man crusade to rid sport of all moral ambiguity (and doping).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Kimmage hasn’t been on in ages.

Make of that what you will

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I used to think it was but I’ve changed my opinion. It’s a show by journalists, for journalists and they do as much eulogising of a dying medium as they do talking sport and/or solving social issues, related or unrelated to sport. Equality for women and the hypocritical denunciation of gambling are regular features, as is Paul Kimmage’s one man crusade to rid sport of all moral ambiguity (and doping).

Has Paul been on it lately?
    I haven't been listening religiously but I haven't noticed him mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It was dreadful, I don't listen to it often, but enjoy it when I do. Had to turn off after 10 mins yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dancing around the SOB issue

Won’t name him. Legal advice apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement