Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge fireball seen Friday 21 sept...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spudserobrien

Saw it over clonmel, im still shakin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Buzzing i saw this. I had stepped out of a pub for a smoke.

Didn't even want come out tonight, and had to convince myself it just might be better than staying in, and then I see one of the most awesome* sights of my life.

(*I reserve the word 'awesome' for things like GIANT ****ING FIREBALLS IN THE SKY!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

Saw it from my house in Glencullen, 1000ft up facing east over Dublin Bay. Fireball went East to west and broke up into several pieces appeared very slow moving. Initial thought was a plane breaking up so ran outside and saw it dissapear behind three rock heading west. Most Amazing site I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was out shooting photos of the sky because it was such a beautiful clear night, in Donaghadee, Northern Ireland (near Bangor, so way north!) and I had a long-exposure going when I was looking out over the Irish sea. Suddenly (at around 10:55pm approx) I saw what looked like a green-y coloured firework appearing out at sea, and initially I assumed it was a distress flare or something like that (it was actually bright enough to light up the sea, which is why I thought it was low down). Then after a few seconds it starts coming west towards us and the colour changed to more of an orange/gold colour and I could see individual bits. After about 1 or 2 minutes, it has passed overhead (totally silent) and disappears over a hill heading west (above some clouds, I add). A couple minutes later I saw the result of the long exposure photo:

219111_10151194521387941_290660517_o.jpg

Most spectacular thing I've seen in my life (the UFO, not the photo!), I had no idea it was seen all over Ireland and the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Jake1 wrote: »

I don't like to be a spoilsport but..

I would have loved to have seen this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kuroino

I've seen a big meteor in childhood twice and in one case it was similar in speed but did not break apart. I guess the bigger objects are slowing down much faster or seen much farther so the perceived speed is slower.

Also small meteors rarely cross all the visible sky and this thing seemingly did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i was out in my back garden having a smoke about 11, here in Waterford City, when i saw what i thought was a meteor, it happened in a blink of an eye, thought i was seeing things.

Might hear on the radio tomorrow that we've been invaded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pete M. wrote: »
    My cousin also texted me to say he just saw it in Mayo.
    And he said he heard thuds shortly afterwards! :eek:

Me too!!! But, in County Down! Could they have been sonic booms? It seems to me that this was a big object that was moving really fast, really high up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

kuroino wrote: »
    I've seen a big meteor in childhood twice and in one case it was similar in speed but did not break apart. I guess the bigger objects are slowing down much faster or seen much farther so the perceived speed is slower.

Also small meteors rarely cross all the visible sky and this thing seemingly did.

One of those sightings in the mid 80s by any chance ?

The mother say it in Athea Co. Limerick around 11.30.
    She thought it was a flying train

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I saw these lights in co. galway about half hour ago, about seven - nine lights moving slowly north west direction there was a visible trail coming from the back of them, made me stop the car to get out and look at them, what are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ncdadam

Seen it over Skerries about 11 o'clock.
    Looked like a massive white light with bits coming off the back of it.
    Coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Just a chinese lantern.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

couldnt possibly the same meteor if it was still going half an hour later. Is she sure of the time?
    BBC reported it on news, mentioned in weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

They're actually called planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kuroino

> One of those sightings in the mid 80s by any chance ?

Both in rather early 80s - about 80-83 in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭castor 1

11.34 pm driving in East Galway.
    Spectacular white 'fireball' falling from high in the eastern sky and turned green as it approached the horizon.
    Presumed was a meteorite !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Ring Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck and tell them to get their asses to NASA !

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

They're actually called planes.

HA HA ''flying train'' no ''there called planes'' ha ha made be laugh out loud thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Raven_k42

10.55 in Cabinteely...stopped the car to watch 3 foxes playing on a green (apparently they're there most nights !!)....and saw about 9 or 10 orange-ish balls hurtling across the sky. Took about a minute to cross out of view. Thought I was dreaming. Rang my mother who told me they were Chinese Lanterns !!...so I had to check on the net when I got home. Feel better now that I KNOW they were real. Awesome sight.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

It was very low looking when it was going over Mullingar.. not a sound from it either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

kuroino wrote: »
    > One of those sightings in the mid 80s by any chance ?

Both in rather early 80s - about 80-83 in my estimation.

I remember seeing similar in the 80s could have been 83

Spent most nights just looking out the window when i should have been asleep:)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Saw a series of burning lights crossing the sky tonight about 11, Co. Monaghan http://po.st/O8jduF

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

Seen it in Donegal just over an hour ago. We first heard a huge bang,thought it was fireworks and about 5mins later we seen it heading towards us,it was amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gutted is not the word for what I feel right now. Missed it Dammit!!!! :D All I can say to all those who saw it is.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

It looks a lot slower than your average meteor and its at a very horizontal angle. I saw something like this back around 2004/2003 I think.

Lots of people saying it was acompanied with a large bang. Is that normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

TheChizler wrote: »
    Could be NASA UARS, pretty big and scheduled for reentry tonight.

Was that not last year?

Edit: Guess you looked it up then :razz:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

skelliser wrote: »

thats more like what i saw except seemed lower and lights further apart

Advertisement