Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge fireball seen Friday 21 sept...

Options
  • 21-09-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Swept right across Laois from west to east at 23:04

Clearly visible for 1 minute.

Satellite returning to earth? Looks too slow to be a shooting star. There were about five pieces, maybe more. Looked out the window and could clearly see it through street lighting.

Hands still shaking......WOW!

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

I saw it there too , I like in North Kildare and there were 6 or 7 lights coming from the east ......Never saw anything like it in my life, any explanations for this? im literally shaking with shock

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Cousin was just outside and came in telling me he seen the exact same thing, we're in Louth. Would be really interested to know what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

I saw that. I'm in Dublin. Didn't know what it was. Definitely too big for a firework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Satellite returning to earth? Looks too slow to be a shooting star. There were about five pieces, maybe more. Looked out the window and could clearly see it through street lighting.

Any ideas anyone?

Just seen that as well! Scared the bloody life out of me at first, it just passed over South Leitrim approx 5 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

I saw something similar about 10 minutes ago over South Dublin. It was more than one fireball though, appeared to be quite a few. Like flares shooting accross the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Any ideas anyone?

Just saw it over Kildare, seriously impressive, but no idea what it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Just seen that as well! Scared the bloody life out of me at first, it just passed over South Leitrim approx 5 mins ago.

Jesus lads how fast was this thing going:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Reports of something similar in Liverpool

https://twitter.com/BrianDurand56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

One of my friends who is in Scotland also reported seeing something in the sky around 11 minutes ago. I missed it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I seen it too in Rathfarnham a few minutes ago???

What the hell was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Any ideas anyone?
    Was just about to post this, bright enough to wake me up from dozing off, had us both run from one side if the house to the other to watch it pass overhead! 5 to 6 large trailing yellow orange fireballs, silent, faster than a plane but much much slower and far larger than a shooting star. I saw it about 23:00 over Trim, Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mfield

Just saw this in Kildare, three of us in the house ran out and couldn't believe what we were seeing!

MAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Looked like a meteor breaking up into atmosphere. Crazy stuff. Went right across the horizon. East to West. D15

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

WTF:eek: just seen this with my better half, in nt kildare ourselfs.Like you all said slow moving and not loosing too much altitude. from east to west when looking north, seemed to be more than 7 at 1st but a few faded as it was just out of sight to the west. hahahehehoho, exciting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

• Registered Users Posts: 6 woobevok

Saw the fireball with a tail of about 7or 8 fireballs across the sky in kildare at 22.55 approx. Never seen anything like this. Couldnt get the phone out quick enough to get a snap. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Saw it in Swords, was heading east to west at 22:55, really bright white light, with plenty of pieces breaking off glowing orange as the fell, passed to the north of Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

yup just seen same from Rathgar area about 10.55,
    crossed the sky in about 20 seconds heading westish,
    looked too slow to be typical meteor and not bright enough
    also orange colour.
    Silent and in a straiight line about 8 or 10 lights.
    Twitter going mad from all over so must be astronomical rather than local
    Where was camera when I needed:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 flair

Just in Blackrock with my cousin! Having a cig and a glass of wine overlooking the beach. Fabulous sight ....think we saw it from its starting point just above the Cooleys, started as one large bright light and split off into a fireworks display in a perfect arc above our heads in north west trajectory, make a wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Just in from walking my dogs in Shannon, Clare, watched it come in from the east. Broke up overhead near the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

Saw it from Westmeath, fantastic sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 e17

seen it in carlow just before 2300 Several objects travelling eas to west . could clearly see flaming tails. Like someting out of the movie armageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭minibear

i saw it too here in mid county waterford. grabbed the camera and got three photos but it was almost gone by then and can't make anything out in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I didn't see it, was literally washing my hair (for feck sake!) but all my friends talking about it on Facebook.

Wicklow Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Few pictures off twitter:

A3WVLNICAAAfEH5.jpg:large

A3WW0TJCAAEvfnK.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Saw it in Doolan, Co Clare. Moving south while I was looking west

• Registered Users Posts: 1 suzegr

I'm in Dublin and saw it too. It was looked seriously cool!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Any idea what it is lads?
    Missed it, so upset for not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

Spotted in Galway. Passed straight over the airport and over the city (doughuisce) @ 11pm ish , from east to west. As discribed above , chain of 6 or 8 lights flying pretty quickly, no sound from them. Have been googling lanterns in the jet stream cause that's the first thing that came to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

came on here to see if there was a better picture than what was posted by a mate on facebook

link to large pic

did this happen too fast for pics?

*edit* just saw the twitter pics

Advertisement