Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge fireball seen Friday 21 sept...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Flibbles wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Could be NASA UARS, pretty big and scheduled for reentry tonight.

Was that not last year?
    Yeah totes embarrassing, exactly this time last year hence the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Iancar29 wrote: »

Had a feeling I might find you in here Iancar.. lol.... Well I am gutted, I missed it... my house mate is walking on air, she managed to see it!!

So consider it observed in Dromahair Co. Leitrim just before 11pm on Fri 21st!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

It looks a lot slower than your average meteor and its at a very horizontal angle. I saw something like this back around 2004/2003 I think.

Lots of people saying it was acompanied with a large bang. Is that normal?
    atmosphere entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Wasn't that this time last year

Edit: already covered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Shakti wrote: »
    thats more like what i saw except seemed lower and lights further apart

that vid was taken somewhere in england

gutted i missed this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Was out for dinner with the family in Howth. My brother and his wife were out for a smoke and saw it. Apparently it streaked right over a plane on final approach, sounded like an incredible sight! Raging I missed it, I'd only come back from a ciggy a minute before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

report on bbc just now. BBC posted footage from their NI crew.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19683737

They look much less in a straight line than I saw, could be the angle of view from Dublin instead of NI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19683687

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

skelliser wrote: »
    that vid was taken somewhere in england

gutted i missed this

you reckon meteorite then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Shakti wrote: »
    you reckon meteorite then?

ya reckon so

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    report on bbc just now. BBC posted footage from their NI crew.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19683737

They look much less in a straight line than I saw, could be the angle of view from Dublin instead of NI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19683687

That looks like them, however it was much lower when going over Mullingar, so low I thought they were fireworks at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

".....Experts at Jodrell Bank Observatory identified the fireball as a meteorite shortly after the sightings started....."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/fireball-witnessed-burning-up-over-leeds-1-4952123

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

About the people in Donegal and Mayo hearing thuds, if it hit the sea, wait for a tsunami!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Springstar

I was in Dublin City, across the road from Christchurch after Culture night having Burdock fish and chips (last time I was sitting in that spot having fish and chips was years ago) looking up at the sky and feeling really happy when I nearly choked on a chip..ha ha..

to be honest I got a fright....and kept blinking was I really seeing this as wear lenses......stood up and approached quickly a random guy next to me ...' do u see that...the lights....' pointing the chip to the sky with ketchup probably running down my face...not a pleasant sight I'm sure...me..not the lights!

The train of light was hidden by Christchurch steeple...and then appeared again...luckily he saw it too...though others in his company dismissed the sight as lanterns and had no interest in looking at it and more into their food...but we thought different.

Was amazing.... the spot where I was situated was full of hustle and bustle yet it seemed time stopped for those few seconds..magical

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iggyclarke

Saw it in manchester alright. Some sight. Looked like a decent firework travelling horizontally so if you missed it I wouldn't get too upset but it was unusual for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

dvcireland wrote: »
    ".....Experts at Jodrell Bank Observatory identified the fireball as a meteorite shortly after the sightings started....."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/fireball-witnessed-burning-up-over-leeds-1-4952123

I wonder how they can be so sure so soon? Where they tracking it before it hit the atmosphere? Doubt it. I'm sceptical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Hmmm maybe just a teaser of what we'll get in December?

Ill just put on my tinfoil hat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Hmmm maybe just a teaser of what we'll get in December?

Ill just put on my tinfoil hat :D
    PMSL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 salmonkat

saw it from parliament street in templw bar. a beautiful spectacle right over the liffey. we thought that was part of the culture night installations! : ) Never seen anything like that in my life. Slow moving and magical! wow!

I am a bit surprised too that no big hype was created about the meteor a good few days in advance. They usually prep us ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

It's part of the promotion cycle for "Man of Steel" (opening 2013). They crashed it into a field in mid west America.

Does anyone else find this strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Andy Magic wrote: »

How do you mean? Very unusual and really an awesome sight but it was a meteor breaking up nothing more really. It happens every so often but tonight was a really clear night so that why so many of us witnessed it. Dont be scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 phayeser

We saw it about 11pm in Dublin, very spectacular. We were in the James Joyce house of the Dead for culture night and the guide pointed out the window to convey how the James Joyce bridge represents an open book, - and there it was, - just streaming across the sky, just above the bridge. Incredible timing. Just those of us by the window saw it, thought it was a firework first but it just kept on going. Seemed so low and slow moving! Wonder where it landed, would love to have seen it before it broke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Find what strange? I'm so annoyed, I had just taken the dog out for a pi55 earlier so I missed it. At least I witnessed this one a long time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leighlinbridge#Leighlinbridge_Meteorite

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dude007

Saw the same in south Wexford Ireland on 21Sep12 at 22:55 in NorthEast-North direction about 25° from passing horizontal East to West for more than 30 secondes...6 to 7 Flares/Fireballs...Got video of it...

yeah it was incredibly slow. I am still mesmerized! It was too magical, nothing man-made could come close to it :)
    @phayeser
    how long were you observing it for ? did it just disappear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chrishaaansen

Their heeeerre! :P

post the video, dude007 ! : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 listentotheroar

Cork city about 2330, I was driving from the city on tivoli dual carriage way towards dunkettle roundabout and through the trees saw what appeared to be one bright white light falling!!amazing!

Advertisement