Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge fireball seen Friday 21 sept...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brabazon

Huge fireball seen Friday 21 sept...

Swept right across Laois from west to east at 23:04

Clearly visible for 1 minute.

Satellite returning to earth? Looks too slow to be a shooting star. There were about five pieces, maybe more. Looked out the window and could clearly see it through street lighting.

Hands still shaking......WOW!

Any ideas anyone?

Saw it. thought it was a plane about to crash. They moved much slower than any shooting star (meteor) than I've seen before. spectacular!! I was shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 B123mor

N64 wrote: »
    One of my friends who is in Scotland also reported seeing something in the sky around 11 minutes ago. I missed it myself
    We saw it in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Sorry just calmed down,

Yes east to west, I was a bit excited in my original post, not west to east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCn02pgO4

just found this on you tube, the title is implying '' ufo'' but this is moving completly different but the cluster seems to be the same! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

biomech wrote: »
    Spotted in Galway. Passed straight over the airport and over the city (doughuisce) @ 11pm ish , from east to west. As discribed above , chain of 6 or 8 lights flying pretty quickly, no sound from them. Have been googling lanterns in the jet stream cause that's the first thing that came to mind.

Ya found it real bizarre that it was silent and seemed to be moving slowly, defiantly was burning up whatever it was. Mrs Walkman will be nightly unimpressed when I tell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

cocoemma wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCn02pgO4

just found this on you tube, the title is implying '' ufo'' but this is moving completly different but the cluster seems to be the same! lol

The date on that one is September 5th......but I admit it looks similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Ooh exciting! Let's hope it wasn't some space shuttle crash landing we'll all hear about tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Reports of something similar in Liverpool

https://twitter.com/BrianDurand56

This is from 3 o clock today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

My cousin also texted me to say he just saw it in Mayo.
    And he said he heard thuds shortly afterwards! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Missed it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

biomech wrote: »
    This is from 3 o clock today?

No, the most recent tweet is 8 mins ago.

Pete M. wrote: »
    My cousin also texted me to say he just saw it in Mayo.
    And he said he heard thuds shortly afterwards! :eek:

Could be money in them thuds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hugmag

leopardstown dublin saw a line of fireballs go over at about 10:57. It looked liked there was material breaking off each of them. It appeared to be low in a northerly direction heading East to West. Travelling at huge speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Aww man would have loved to have seen it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

My 8 year old daughter seen it and came down to tell us

Didnt believe her and sent her back to bed

Feel like a right git now:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

So amazing!!! Made my night

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WeirdKen

Seen this also while driving through Barnes gap in Donegal. Sky was amazingly clear. Looked like 6-8 separate fireballs all moving in unison from north to south. Tried to video them but it came out more like the Blair witch project. Most amazing thing I've seen in the heavens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Just seen it there, I had the iPhone ready to record it but it wouldn't pick it up.. I'm in Mullingar. It also seemed very slow and then all of a sudden it picked up speed :confused:

It was quite a weird site to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

noodler wrote: »
    The date on that one is September 5th......but I admit it looks similar.

Yes noodler, its sept 5th, i didnt mean to imply that it was tonight, We were looking for footage on you tube and came across this, i dunno we locked are doors ha ha jk.. no seriously it must be some sort of metor/satelite that is slow burning into entry, there has to be a logical explanation.. like it seemed to be controled?? Like on a flight path nearly!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Really annoyed I missed this. Was gonna go out stargazing tonight too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tommi78

Almost certain they didnt come to ground in mayo, i am in westport watched them pass right over they were still very high could see it clearly definetly a meteor coming through the atmophere... i would say they would have come down in the atlantic if the made it out over clare island...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kuroino

I did see it too above Blanch.

Unfortunately I was too slow to take out the camera and it was in BW mode and with a manual focusing lens on it, so the footage is crap, but anyway here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h_cFy_DU1Y

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CoCoBell

Saw this over Kildare, Started as a big green ball getting brighter and brighter then started to break into about 15 pieces burning through the atmosphere. I have the Queen song stuck in my head now!! Delighted to have seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Reports on Facebook saying it may have been a satellite returning to earth..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Reports on Facebook saying it may have been a satellite returning to earth..

Every time I've seen a shooting star (which I think it's safe to assume that this would be travelling at a similar velocity) it was moving very fast. All the video's I've seen of this seems rather slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

completely unlike any shooting star I've ever seen.
    Too slow
    Was in separate bits when I saw it and the continued intact in a long stream, quite like one of those vids posted, but a little more stretched out.

Advertisement