Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge fireball seen Friday 21 sept...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dude007

Saw the same in south Wexford Ireland on 21Sep12 at 22:55 in NorthEast-North direction about 25° from passing horizontal East to West for more than 30 secondes...6 to 7 Flares/Fireballs...Got video of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dude007

Saw the same in south Wexford Ireland on 21Sep12 at 22:55 in NorthEast-North direction about 25° from passing horizontal East to West for more than 30 secondes...6 to 7 Flares/Fireballs...Got video of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 salmonkat

@Andy Magic

It was so low indeed! From our spot on Parliament street in Dublin, it looked like horizontal fireworks above the liffey, slowly moving , or hovering..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I saw it too!!!! So glad that I'm not crazy as I was driving at the time between Cork and Limerick and thought it might have been eyes playing tricks on me.

I'd describe it as 3-4 orange fireballs going from east to west, midway in the sky line, at around 23.05.

It really was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Amazing! We saw it disintegrate in front of our eyes. Started out as one big fireball and burst into 4 or 5 bits. Seemed so close at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

It'll be some craic if the yanks scramble the jets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I saw it too in waterford around 11, looked like it was right over my head at the time. I stopped the car and jumped out to see it, it was best thing I've seen in a long time and no sound.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tonybodhran

Saw it on the road from lusk to skerries last night at 22.55 exactly, absolutely amazing , fireball in 5 or 6 pieces dropping smaller pieces off as it travelled directly overhead, managed to pull the car off the road and watch the whole thing. Very cool. Tried to video it with my phone but it was passed and fizzling out by the time I got the camera switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Does anybody know what it was yet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

David Moore of Astronomy Ireland said "It is a piece of space debris, but whether it is man made or natural is not known" and "It is probably a space rock that has skidded across the atmosphere."

The only odd thing about it is that it was too slow for a natural object, and travelling in the wrong direction for a man-made object. The explanation should be interesting.

I wish I had seen it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Saw it on the road from lusk to skerries last night at 22.55 exactly, absolutely amazing , fireball in 5 or 6 pieces dropping smaller pieces off as it travelled directly overhead, managed to pull the car off the road and watch the whole thing. Very cool. Tried to video it with my phone but it was passed and fizzling out by the time I got the camera switched on.

More or less the same here, amazing sight!
    In the car and saw what I thought was a police helicopter light over the trees but suddenly started to break up and turned from a bright white light into maybe 6-7 orange lights streaking across the sky at incredible speed. I pulled in and killed the lights and managed to record some of it. Will try and upload in a sec.
    Amazing sight, will probably never see something like that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

salmonkat wrote: »
    @Andy Magic

It was so low indeed! From our spot on Parliament street in Dublin, it looked like horizontal fireworks above the liffey, slowly moving , or hovering..

That's exactly what I thought it was when I first seen it, horizontal fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Space junk according to the news just now on BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Missed it!

And I turned down an invitation to go to the Sugarloaf by a customer and some friends from http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=listcat&catid=0&func=listcat&Itemid=41

Damn babysitting :D

One of those huge events, congrats to all who managed to get a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Here's a link of all reported sightings and stories on the meteors
    http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.ie/2012/09/breaking-uk-news-uk-holland-bolide.html?m=1

I was out on Wednesday night about 10 or so and I spotted a meteor disintegrating, so I wonder will these be seen for another few days.
    Il be keeping an eye out tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

http://www.amsmeteors.org/2012/09/fireball-over-se-canada-and-ne-usa-september-21-2012/

Amazing, it seems it was seen in Canada and the US too. It must have skimmed the atmosphere all the way over the Atlantic.

Can't believe I missed it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

David Moore of Astronomy Ireland said "It is a piece of space debris, but whether it is man made or natural is not known" and "It is probably a space rock that has skidded across the atmosphere."

The only odd thing about it is that it was too slow for a natural object, and travelling in the wrong direction for a man-made object. The explanation should be interesting.

I wish I had seen it. :(

Apparently it was travelling at 17,000mph!! According to Astronomy Ireland.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Apparently it was travelling at 17,000mph!! According to Astronomy Ireland.

Minimum speed for a meteor is around 25,000 mph. ;) They can also get up to about 156,000 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chrishaaansen

it was exactly 3 months to the day until the 21/12/12.... coincidence, or something more sinister :eek:

• Advertisement

it was exactly 3 months to the day until the 21/12/12.... coincidence, or something more sinister :eek:

The former :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

wow i seen this, was stoned off my nuts though, not sure why people were shaking/scared of such an event, it was most splendid and should be embraced rather that sparking conspiracy theories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

One of the better videos I have seen and matching what I saw in Dublin is on RTE News now
    This gives a good idea of the size, speed, direction and duration of the sighting.
    The colour is a bit skewed, they appear white in the video but they appeared more flame orange in reality.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0922/meteor-shower-reported-over-ireland.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 oldfart

Was this thing goin from east to west or north south? so many people seen it...at cliffs of moher, further south, scotland, and on mainland europe! my mother saw it in Monaghan, I didnt see it, I AM FURIOUS!!! Cant believe i missed this, the astronomers say it was the best fireball they ever seen....... :( typical..nice to see so many pics of it though..wonder what it was (metalic, stoney iron, space junk!) and if any of it fell to ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I always miss this sh!t :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

judging by the video on rte it travelled north east to southwest

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CoCoBell

Saw it start from beginning as a green ball of light North north east, get brighter and break up as it travelled across and went north west in the sky. Seeing this from Kildare. Delighted I decided to bring the dogs for a walk then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 honeybunny1984

my mum and i saw it, we were watching a film when we noticed the bright orange lights out the window...for a split second i thought it was a plane coming down REALLY close to the house, that or a UFO was coming to take us away LOL never seen anything like it, it reminded me of when fireworks are shooting up in the air (before they go bang) and they leave that long trail of sparks behind them...it was absolutely amazing! cant believe we were lucky enough to see it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭maurasmith50

You don't think it was the small one before the "big one" like in that film Deep Impact but "they" are keeping it from us , do you?? :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did rte use an old pic among the one it showed on news there 6

at http://www.rte.ie/news/player.html?sixonenews#programme=Six%20One%20News 38 secs is old as here https://twitter.com/storyfulpro/status/249276763643985921

or is that one an hour earlier over north america

Advertisement