Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

No wind but lots of rain being dumped on North Kildare in last few hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like rain might clear Dublin in the next hour or so. Then....roll on the wind! :)

21.0mm so far here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Rain looks set to clear ..looks like the heavier stuff never made it over from the UK ..given the longevity of the rain prob just as well

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heaviest rain of the day here now. Rainfall rate of 6.4mm/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

rain has finally stopped here,only a slight breeze but is cool at 10c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks like its snowing here with bits of sea foam falling out of the sky, sea is pure white now and wind as strong as its been all day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Should we be saying system rather than storm? I know there are localised extreme conditions in the northwest but the effect is very isolated, otherwise just a low with frontal rain of an unremarkable nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Dry, grey and windy here all day with some gale gusts though wind is easing up a little now. 'Manky' would best describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Harps wrote: »
    Looks like its snowing here with bits of sea foam falling out of the sky, sea is pure white now and wind as strong as its been all day

Oh sounds wonderful, I'd love to be there. Rain (nothing heavy) calm, cold, nothing near as exciting here in West Wicklow.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

been lashing most of the day here in arklow, stopped now though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Ok so yet again another way over hyped weather non event. I have said it before and I will say it again... If met eireann had issued such dramatic forecasts that failed to materialise then this forum would be hopping with criticism.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Newcastle in England below, I know which event I would like .... the non event

capturefrm.jpg

Ok so yet again another way over hyped weather non event......

I wouldn't mind knowing in what way you think it was over hyped?

BTW, it's not over yet. More rain to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ok so yet again another way over hyped weather non event. I have said it before and I will say it again... If met eireann had issued such dramatic forecasts that failed to materialise then this forum would be hopping with criticism.....

If you show me exactly where in the forecasts it says, that rainfall "will" be a certain amount or that gusts "will" reach a maximum speed of ...

Then I will thank you post.

From what I always read here the words used are " areas could see ...", "amounts of ... are possible"

This forum tends to deal with the possible outcome of the models as it looks now, people then pick up little bits of information from skimming through and put it all together for themselves, and then get upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We've had rainfall of 50mm in places.

We have had wind gusts to 60mph.

I don't think anybody here was predicting an catastrophe.

One grows tired of the few trolls who post on here with no information to back their retorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah more rain to come.

It was not overhyped.
    It's like snow and I remember that blizzard at the end of March in 2010, where Cavan got several feet of snow, and it came down the country, fell as rain lower down as it did in Kilkenny city, but only 5 miles or so away on the hills we had snow to depths of 3ft to 4ft in drifts. It was bad as roads were blocked but if one lived a few miles away it was a non event and was just a bit of sleety rain.

I could claim a non event so far as I got only 11mm in total, but that would be to ignore what happened elsewhere where it has been an event with flooding and high rain totals, or up north along the coasts the strong winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Should we be saying system rather than storm? I know there are localised extreme conditions in the northwest but the effect is very isolated, otherwise just a low with frontal rain of an unremarkable nature.

Doubt the folks up North or in N england/scotland would say 'just a low'. A record breaking low sitting a hundred miles away...could easily have tracked different..seems these Lows and supercells just like bashing the UK lately leaving us unscathed..HAARP anyone? but looks like ME did call this one fairly well...swings and roundabouts next week we will be here slating them.
    The widespread intensity of the rain never really materialized..I felt because of the direction it came at us from it would be heavier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I think it's easy to interpret this forum as 'hyping' weather events, when it's just that people who frequent this forum have a different definition of what constitutes 'significant'. weather.

For example, I have no interest in football. The only time I'll ever pay attention to something football related is if it's the Euros, or World cup. And so for football to be significant for me, literally the most significant football events in the world have to be happening.
    In contrast, if I liked football, I might have a lower 'significant' threshold. I might deem an underdog team winning the Spanish league as significant, or the move of a player from/to a high profile team as significant.

Similarly, if you don't 'watch' the weather, the only time you're ever going to call the weather significant is if it kills someone or destroys something. If you do 'watch' the weather, though, then you might find a few days of significantly above average precipitation as significant, even if it doesn't cause any widespread harm or disruption. So it's not about the weather forum over hyping events, it's just that people who watch the weather have a different definition of what counts as extreme/unusual/significant weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

How would you say it was overhyped? Winds were forecast to peak around 60kts and rain generally 30-60mm, that's pretty much what happened. There was a lot of uncertainty in the rainfall forecast so there was a chance of flooding anywhere over the UK and north & east Ireland. As it happened, the UK got the worst of it and the top story on BBC at the moment is about the flooding over there

Anyway, its been the best storm I've experienced in quite a while, I've been in Letterkenny for most of the storms in recent years but nothing compares to being right on the coast. Went up to the cliffs earlier and could barely stand the wind was so strong, massive waves crashing over the cliffs as well. Its a great feeling leaning forward and the wind managing to hold all your weight

I tried getting a few pics but nothing really came out, didn't want to risk the camera with all the spray and foam flying about. This is about the clearest one I managed but doesn't do the sea justice

img8870k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

One of the primary reasons behind the high level of rainfall is the sheer size of this swirling low pressure system. It has been pretty much stationary for the past 24 hrs, hence the concentrated rainfall along the east coast in particular. The below EUMETSAT RGB image from 8PM GMT (7UTC) illustrates this. The GFS pressure chart for 9pm backs this up.

222002.jpg

222003.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

222008.png

Last 24hrs... i certainly call that a significant event considering there was more prior also.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Folks, was it really a storm? A storm is a 10-minute average wind of 48 kt. That's pretty rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Off to the Saltees again are you :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Think we're due for another 6 hours or more of continuous rain on the eastern side early tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Think we're due for another 6 hours or more of continuous rain on the eastern side early tomorrow.

Certainly coming down now here in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Very heavy rain here now in Dún Laoghaire and has got pretty windy as well.

Heavy 'showers' overnight has given 8.4mm here (since midnight).

This, on top of yesterdays rain total of 24.2mm and Mondays rain total of 62.6mm is now giving me an event total of 95.2mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Very heavy rain here in swords this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Torrential downpour in Clonskeagh just there- Back to light rain now.

Dan :)

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Torrential downpour in Clonskeagh just there- Back to light rain now.

Same here, with a rain rate of 65.8mm/hr! 13.4mm so far today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement