Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

Penalties by the offence have been killing us in the first half. If we have any hope of winning, we need to stop with these stupid penalties!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Should have gone for it there on fourth down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

Hard to believe we didn't score a single point in the first half, we're gonna have our work cut now.

This happens way too often for my liking. Hopefully there will be a change for next season if we dont improve on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's getting fairly tiring picking out the same problems with the Colts yet again.

No run defence. No protection for Luck.

What do Grigson and co be doing with them at all? Horrendous.

• Advertisement

We took a WR in the first round when we had holes all over the place. That should be a sackable offence alone. Looks like its paying dividends so far.

Gore and Hilton picking up injuries already.

A top coach wouldnt be letting Dorsett return the ball there after he fumbled the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭letowski

Ugh, that was terrible. All our pre-season concerns came to realisation there. I don't think there is any positives to take from that. The first half was one of the worse performances we have seen in the Luck era.

Just hearing the commentators there 49 pass plays, 17 runs.. and it lashing raining out there. I agree Alfred, Pagano takes a huge amount of criticism for this defeat. His game planning is ridiculous, we knew back last bloody spring when the fixtures came that Buffalo were going to blitz all day long, yet we don't use any screen passes or our TE's? O-line disastrous again the the first half, I think everybody had a holding penalty bar Herremans, nothing new there I guess.

No sign of of improvement in the run D either, up against a poor-ish Buffalo O-line. This is where Grigs thought it best that the solution at NT was a 300 pound 5th round draft pick. We have no playmakers on D at all.

Really annoyed with that performance. It was so obvious from last season the areas where Pagano and Grigs needed to improve, but things only seems to have gotten worse. Hard to see us having a good enough team to make it to a SB. Jeez weve have even gone backwards from Cribbs at KR from last year!

Hilton out for a couple of weeks with a knee injury. Unsure about Gore as of yet. As disastrous a week 1 game you're likely to encounter where everything went wrong.

There were no positives in that game whatsoever and we have a hell of a lot of work to do. Jets may be seen as an easier game on paper but we don't make things easy for ourselves.

Game management is all over the place and while players are messing up, the coaches have to take a lot of flak for this shambles. Not getting in the appropriate players is going to kill us.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hilton out for a couple of weeks with a knee injury. Unsure about Gore as of yet. As disastrous a week 1 game you're likely to encounter where everything went wrong.

There were no positives in that game whatsoever and we have a hell of a lot of work to do. Jets may be seen as an easier game on paper but we don't make things easy for ourselves.

Game management is all over the place and while players are messing up, the coaches have to take a lot of flak for this shambles. Not getting in the appropriate players is going to kill us.

That really does put a downer on today. Hilton was the only guy on offense who turned up in the 1st half. I actually thought Dorsett made some plays towards the end, but holy god please don't put him on KR again. Johnson was disappointing.

I think I'm being harsh on the Parry comment above, himself and Anderson didn't play bad and Langford made a few good tackles for loss.

It was our linebackers, particularly Freeman and DQ that were really poor.

I mean Jerrell here..

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000528942/Bills-Karlos-Williams-rushes-up-the-middle-for-26-yard-TD

We need Mathis back to get some sort of pass rush going too. That was not a good O-line the Bills had and yet Taylor had loads of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Completely unsurprised by what happened yesterday and really doesn't change my mind on what will happen this season!

I'll be surprised if we don't make the AFC championship game at least!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mariota is coming for the division :)

Mariota is coming for the division :)

You hush your face!!

Had a watch of Pagano's press conference on the Colts website and he said this... (Paraphrasing)
    They sent everything but the kitchen sink at us but I thought the protection was solid. They were able to give Andrew some time.

Some time....

Pfft. I don't know what he was watching because "some time" equated to about 0.4 seconds to try and pick out a pass.

Well there's at least one positive-ish from Sunday's game.
    Colts Pro Bowl receiver T.Y. Hilton did not sustain any structural damage to his injured left knee and could play next week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indy-receiver-t-y-hilton-gets-good-news-211249516--nfl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

any word on Hiltons status for tonight?

phatkev wrote:
    any word on Hiltons status for tonight?

He practised on Saturday. I think we will see him, probably on a snap count. His knee didnt look good in Buffalo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

expecting a tough night for luck tonight but expect him to come out on top

• Advertisement

Early days but cant see us doing much this year. We will probably win the division because its the AFC South but this team looks poorly coached all over the field. Blitzing from opposing teams is killing us and the Titans under Dick L will do the same this weekend. The OL are in the bottom 5 in the league, so their ineptness are causing Luck to scramble and make stupid decisions (which he can be prone to making) which are resulting in turnovers. D looked good last night but cant help but feel if the Jets had a better QB, we are losing that game by 30 points. Id like to see Grigson and the entire coaching team go at the end of the season but wouldnt be shocked if someone is sacked soon (Pep?). The offensive play calling last night looked like something at school level with Pep trying to be too cute. Hugely disappointed with Andre Johnson who cant get any separation and Trent Cole who cant seem to provide any pass rush with the big money we are paying him. Eagles dream team all over again so far.

our penetration on D is good, but we are struggling to get to the QB, however after watching the highlights of last night i'd expect us to cause Luck a lot of issue, however if he throws a few deep bombs a couple will come off

Early days but cant see us doing much this year. We will probably win the division because its the AFC South but this team looks poorly coached all over the field. Blitzing from opposing teams is killing us and the Titans under Dick L will do the same this weekend. The OL are in the bottom 5 in the league, so their ineptness are causing Luck to scramble and make stupid decisions (which he can be prone to making) which are resulting in turnovers. D looked good last night but cant help but feel if the Jets had a better QB, we are losing that game by 30 points. Id like to see Grigson and the entire coaching team go at the end of the season but wouldnt be shocked if someone is sacked soon (Pep?). The offensive play calling last night looked like something at school level with Pep trying to be too cute. Hugely disappointed with Andre Johnson who cant get any separation and Trent Cole who cant seem to provide any pass rush with the big money we are paying him. Eagles dream team all over again so far.

I cant believe I made myself watch the full highlights this evening. I never thought at the start of the year after bringing in 3 vets and then drafting in the 1st round, our offense would be shut out in the first 2 opening halves. Its so dissapointing to see this team regress this far back.

The interior of our Oline was a bloody shambles last night. Everybody knew that Louis has always been a mediocre player, but how the coaching staff want him as a starting guard is crazy. He has never been good enough. Herremans was poor too, hope its a one off. The holding penalties again by the Oline were so frustrating. I dont know where we go from here with this line, maybe go with Reitz and play last years playoff oline, it did ok-ish then. But we simply dont have enough talent. We really should be seeing better decision making from Luck too, he is still giving away needless ints. I honestly dont know why we are ignoring our short passing game, we have two good TEs.

D was good to be fair considering field position they had to work with and also down 3 cbs and Davis for a half game. I think Anderson has been a good positive so far. Good to see Mathis back too. Hopefully we can get better pass rush, as Cole has disappointed alright. Newsome was inactive I think.

Nightmare first two rounds.

Caught the full game this evening. What an absolute horror show yet again. Gore looked to be having an absolute stormer but was taken out at key plays. I just didn't get that at all.

Andre Johnson is lost right now. He just doesn't seperate like we know he can. He is getting smothered and he doesn't help himself.

Luck made some bad decisions but I can let some things slide given the ugly protection he is getting... or in this case, not getting.

It's the same things that are killing us every game. Now when you add in the indiscipline on offence with big plays getting dragged back due to stupid and repeat penalties, we lose all momentum. Infuriating stuff.

I thought the defence looked ok. Slowed down considerably towards the end but we looked good. The problem is that our edge rushers in Mathis and Cole are 31-32 years old and are getting nowhere near the QB. They didn't look like coming close to a sack all night.

Very disappointing and what maybe could have been a relatively comfortable victory becomes a very difficult game in the Titans particularly on the road.

0-2 for the second year running doesn't make for good reading but thoroughly deserved given the way we've been playing.

We're a mess and it does not look like it's going to change anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Watching the game against the Jets, it is obvious the Colts have an extremely talented QB in Luck. Why do they have such a porous line to protect him? Not many sacks, but he just gets the ball off right before being hit by the defense. What has it been, 3 or 4 years of this kind of punishment to Luck’s body? The guy will not last long in the NFL taking that kind of beating.

Amerika wrote: »
    Watching the game against the Jets, it is obvious the Colts have an extremely talented QB in Luck. Why do they have such a porous line to protect him? Not many sacks, but he just gets the ball off right before being hit by the defense. What has it been, 3 or 4 years of this kind of punishment to Luck’s body? The guy will not last long in the NFL taking that kind of beating.

17 hits in 2 weeks, the most any QB has taken so far. It actually quite amazing the 3 seasons and 2 games how he hasn't picked up a serious injury. The offensive line has been a constant mess over the Pagano / Grigson era anyway. Last year for example, it wasn't until the playoffs that the Colts played the same 5 in consecutive games, which is shocking really. This year we've moved our LG to RT which has badly weakened our interior protection.

Pep needs to cop on a bit and start bringing a shorter passing gaming into our offensive strategy. We have to start using check downs and screen passes more to beat these blitzes and get rhythm in our play. Luck is forcing the pass way too much and its telegraphed.

I agree with That Guy, it's hard to know how well we will do this year. We just don't have enough talent between the lines for me.

Something is wrong with Luck this year. I know our OL is terrible but looks like he has regressed so far.

Something is wrong with Luck this year. I know our OL is terrible but looks like he has regressed so far.

Unless he is injured which would explain some of his throws. The ball is just floating when it leaves his hand.

Such a weak team. Getting bullied through 3 weeks of the season. Could be a painful few weeks if we're not careful.

• Advertisement

How, dear lord, did we win that.

I mean we go from 14-0 up in the 2nd quarter to 14-23 down inside the 4th quarter. The offense to that point was an embarrassment, I think Luck was only on the field for 14 minutes. 8 oline penalties today. And we still managed to win. Just a freak game..

We have so many problems at both sides of the ball right now it's crazy. It's the same problems every week. Chuck can breathe this evening, but unless his coaching staff can get improvements were still on track for a bad season.

2 massive plays by Lowry today and Gore ran the ball tough I thought. Dorsett and Hilton early on came up with 2 great TD receptions. I dont no why we don't use Dorsett more, he has done well since we have used him. I think we have no choice but to build on that last quater and try to eradicate all the bull that happened in the 2nd and 3rd. When the oline stopped giving away pens, we ran the ball well with Gore and finally, finally started using Fleener. The was much more rhythm to our offense in the end.

Advertisement