Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah and with Sergio Brown is in talks with the Jaguars, the Safety position was getting a little sketchy there for a while. I think drafting a S is looking highly likely but if Sergio goes I think we will need to bring in FA.

I think you're right about the Trent Cole deal, I had to blink twice! But 8 million is guaranteed so it might not be that bad. We will need Cole to maintain his strong pass rushing game, but at 32 it might be hard.

Seems Sergio is gone. I have to admit I was never one of his biggest fans and would have been gutted if he started next year. Who would you like to pick up for that position in free agency?

I like Cole and definitely will prove to be a good signing but just thought we overpaid a little. But as you say only half is guaranteed so effectively a one year contract so not too bad. Hopefully Mathis is fit to go next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Raf32 wrote: »
    Seems Sergio is gone. I have to admit I was never one of his biggest fans and would have been gutted if he started next year. Who would you like to pick up for that position in free agency?

I like Cole and definitely will prove to be a good signing but just thought we overpaid a little. But as you say only half is guaranteed so effectively a one year contract so not too bad. Hopefully Mathis is fit to go next year too.

Yeah I'd agree, the only thing is we do have a bit of cap space, then again we have quite a bit of recruiting to do. I thought the reason we were interested in Cole was because he could have been the best deal, but I guess this is the nature of the free agency!

The safety position is tricky because I think a few have been snapped up already. McCourty, Branch and Searcy are all signed up. I think Rahim Moore would be good, hope wouldn't be too expensive and is young. Not very familiar with the safeties in the draft.

Yeah I'd agree, the only thing is we do have a bit of cap space, then again we have quite a bit of recruiting to do. I thought the reason we were interested in Cole was because he could have been the best deal, but I guess this is the nature of the free agency!

The safety position is tricky because I think a few have been snapped up already. McCourty, Branch and Searcy are all signed up. I think Rahim Moore would be good, hope wouldn't be too expensive and is young. Not very familiar with the safeties in the draft.

Ya agreed, I genuinely thought we could get him for around $5 million a year. At that price I would have been all over Greg Hardy. i know he is a bit of trouble but such a top player imo. But Cole will do well her Id say.

Ya that market is really drying up already. I see loads wanted Searcy but i think he has only player one year as a full time starter. Moore probably is the best option left now but Id say we could get priced out by someone like Oakland. I remember seeing that their is only one top safety in the draft and he should go in the top 15 so its pretty slim pickings there too. I think Cody Prewitt could be very good and we could get him in the second or third round.

ya think we get Gore and Johnson and thats it for the night?

Frank Gore done :D

Ya agreed, I genuinely thought we could get him for around $5 million a year. At that price I would have been all over Greg Hardy. i know he is a bit of trouble but such a top player imo. But Cole will do well her Id say.

Ya that market is really drying up already. I see loads wanted Searcy but i think he has only player one year as a full time starter. Moore probably is the best option left now but Id say we could get priced out by someone like Oakland. I remember seeing that their is only one top safety in the draft and he should go in the top 15 so its pretty slim pickings there too. I think Cody Prewitt could be very good and we could get him in the second or third round.

ya think we get Gore and Johnson and thats it for the night?

I'm reckon the Gore deal looks fairly set, with details already emerging, It's worth noting too that he ran for 1400yrds under Pep before, so it looks like a promising match up. I think the experience Gore and Johnson would bring would be valuable too with Reggie and likely Cory Redding not around. So hopefully they will be rapped up soon.

It's been a busy few hours with Butler, Adams, Reitz, Cole, Anderson, Overton all on board for definite. :)

Edit: Just saw your post there Raf, thanks!

• Advertisement

I'm reckon the Gore deal looks fairly set, with details already emerging, It's worth noting too that he ran for 1400yrds under Pep before, so it looks like a promising match up. I think the experience Gore and Johnson would bring would be valuable too with Reggie and likely Cory Redding not around. So hopefully they will be rapped up soon.

It's been a busy few hours with Butler, Adams, Reitz, Cole, Anderson, Overton all on board for definite. :)

Edit: Just saw your post there Raf, thanks!

Ah man if we can get Johnson, I'm gonna be cocky here and say we have the #1 offence in football. Its the perfect mix of youth and experience and we have every type of player on that side of the ball now. Change of pace back, work horse, speedster receiver and receiver that can go up and get it. Then the two tight end set. Havent even mentioned Luck yet :pac:

Ya, fair play Grigson is very busy and doing a top job so far. I just hope we can fix the D now. Fairley would be a great pick up.

Ah man if we can get Johnson, I'm gonna be cocky here and say we have the #1 offence in football. Its the perfect mix of youth and experience and we have every type of player on that side of the ball now. Change of pace back, work horse, speedster receiver and receiver that can go up and get it. Then the two tight end set. Havent even mentioned Luck yet :pac:

Ya, fair play Grigson is very busy and doing a top job so far. I just hope we can fix the D now. Fairley would be a great pick up.

Yeah we look set. I think there will be a bit of pressure now on Pagano with Pep to get this running game going now. I remember Pagano in one of his first press conferences saying how his game will have a strong emphasis on running the football. Granted Trent was a disaster, but Chuck has the tools now to make this work this year. He needs to too, for the progression of this team.

Exciting times ahead!

Grigson is knocking it out of the park. Good rotational player

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 3m3 minutes ago
    Defensive lineman Kendall Langford is signing with the Colts.

The Colts announced the signing of Nate Irving this afternoon on a 3 year deal worth up to 9.25mil.

I have to admit, I think this is excellent news. If the guy can get back fit and on form after he tore his MCL, he will be a huge asset to this team, especially as he is a noted run blocker. I think we lack a bit of depth after DQ and Freeman but it's also quite possible that Irving could start, should he find good form. The main thing is that were now well set in this position.

Draft now coming up in over a month, it seems from reports that NT will be our first pick, despite S being our most critical position. It's hard to know how good Chapman is at NT, he is young and had some good outings against Cincinnati and Denver, only to be mullered against NE and Pittsburgh. Hughes or Kerr could make the step up, but it's one tough poistion to play in at their ages. I think there are some decent prospects there in the draft after Shelton, in Brown, Goldman and Phillips but maybe a FA might have been a better option.

Safety is a conundrum because there is limited options out there both in the draft and FA, especially too as there are alot of other teams in the market. Were blessed Adams is back again, I think the best option is to draft here as Adams is likely to be around for ever.

The Colts announced the signing of Nate Irving this afternoon on a 3 year deal worth up to 9.25mil.

I have to admit, I think this is excellent news. If the guy can get back fit and on form after he tore his MCL, he will be a huge asset to this team, especially as he is a noted run blocker. I think we lack a bit of depth after DQ and Freeman but it's also quite possible that Irving could start, should he find good form. The main thing is that were now well set in this position.

Draft now coming up in over a month, it seems from reports that NT will be our first pick, despite S being our most critical position. It's hard to know how good Chapman is at NT, he is young and had some good outings against Cincinnati and Denver, only to be mullered against NE and Pittsburgh. Hughes or Kerr could make the step up, but it's one tough poistion to play in at their ages. I think there are some decent prospects there in the draft after Shelton, in Brown, Goldman and Phillips but maybe a FA might have been a better option.

Safety is a conundrum because there is limited options out there both in the draft and FA, especially too as there are alot of other teams in the market. Were blessed Adams is back again, I think the best option is to draft here as Adams is likely to be around for ever.

I love that signing too and tbh If healthy I think he could be a starter for us. But its nice to just have three viable options now and two lads that can play the run. That is some value too after I have been critical of other deals so far this year.

Think I would have rather had an experienced NT too as its probably the most important position on a 3-4. Iv no faith in Chapman tbh, a rotational player at best. The team supposedly have huge confidence in Kerr and Hughes but I think we should draft a NT and DT in the first three rounds. Your right about there being some top talent in the draft for that position, would love Goldman if im honest and think he could very well be there.

Definitely think we need to get younger at Safety, its just annoying that this is supposedly a weak draft for the position. Im sure some of the second rounders can give us help though and anything is better than Landry :pac: .

In the Draft I would go
    1st: NT
    2nd: S
    3rd: DT
    4th: RB
    5th: Depth at S
    6th: Depth at CB
    6th: Depth on the OL
    7th: Depth at WR

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true. One thing I like about Irving is that he will improve the other 2. Freeman and Jackson ran up all of miles last year and looked worn a bit. Things shoiluld be fresher next season.
    I think wrt Chapman, all the top teams have excellent run games and I think Chapman more or less proved so far he struggles big time at NT against them. Grigs drafts at D havent always been hits but this one youd think is important he drafts a good one. As you said, a vet would probably have been more suitable, as its a tough position for draft NTs to imediately become good NFL players.
    Despite there isnt much options at S, one thing weve got going is that whoever is brought in, they will be surrounded by a pretty outstanding backfield. That gives me some confidence at least! Id go along with your draft choice, Id like to see us get a guard in the mid rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

the Colts significantly overpaid for Irving - he has a history of injuries and is a one trick pony. He is reasonable against the run but is slow and don't expect him to be able to play on any passing down - if he is covering any receiver then it is almost a guaranteed reception.

Saying that - I wish him well - he is a good guy, a positive in the locker room and will do work in the community. He may do a job for the Colts and the Broncos will take the compensatory pick.

the Colts significantly overpaid for Irving - he has a history of injuries and is a one trick pony. He is reasonable against the run but is slow and don't expect him to be able to play on any passing down - if he is covering any receiver then it is almost a guaranteed reception.

Saying that - I wish him well - he is a good guy, a positive in the locker room and will do work in the community. He may do a job for the Colts and the Broncos will take the compensatory pick.

That's fair enough. I read an article today saying he had 46 taclkes and a sack before he got injured. His stats seem quite good and he looks to have the skill set we need at ILB. I think our D can compensate hopefully for his poor coverage. You're right though, his success here will mostly depend on his health. He will at least give us needed depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

I would prefer to see more depth & money spent on the O line than picking up the likes Irving. His signing though is an obvious attempt to try and shore up our poor run defense. So hopeful he can make an big impact in this area during 2015

Areyouwell wrote: »
    I would prefer to see more depth & money spent on the O line than picking up the likes Irving. His signing though is an obvious attempt to try and shore up our poor run defense. So hopeful he can make an big impact in this area during 2015

Think Thomas is going to have to be cut if we want to see any more money put into the line. Would love to pick up that Centre from Oakland

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Think Thomas is going to have to be cut if we want to see any more money put into the line. Would love to pick up that Centre from Oakland

It looks that way alright and upgrading at Centre would be nice.

Areyouwell wrote: »
    It looks that way alright and upgrading at Centre would be nice.

Cant Thomas play Centre? If he stays healthy, could see him getting a chance at pre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What do we think of the schedule lads?

It's not a bad start but gets a bit hairy in weeks 6-9.

Patriots, Saints, Panthers and Broncos before a Bye week in week 10.

At home for all those games I'm mentioned bar the Panthers game which I hope will be a big advantage.

Stopping the running game (yep, this old chestnut again) will be key. We've a good looking offence. Not too sure about our defence but a lot can change in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

I like the schedule apart from starting in Buffalo. Weeks 6-9 are a bit hairy, but with the 10 day break before the start of it and the bye week after it, they should be grand.

Like you said stopping the run and being able to run the ball are key, so hopefully they'll get a couple of good line men (one on each side) in the draft to help. That and some consistency in starters on both lines would be nice.

Yeah Id agree, Buffalo will be a big test for our new look offense alright, but in many ways kinda a good one to start if we win. I think the fact we don't have many cold weather games is good, it's the Steelers game in December that's standing out for me. Bell will be back too.

Good schedule all things considered, we should start well.

• Advertisement

We really could have done with someone on defense last night. There was so many good options available at #29 and we take another receiver. This will be the end of the Grigson/Pagano era when/if the Pats run all over the Colts again.

I wasn't entirely impressed, but I don't think many people were when they drafted Wayne all those years ago with Marvin was already there. And that worked out well. :-)
    The draft has only gone through round 1, there's plenty of more picks to come - maybe some moves - so I'm not overly concerned. Yet.

I wasn't entirely impressed, but I don't think many people were when they drafted Wayne all those years ago with Marvin was already there. And that worked out well. :-)
    The draft has only gone through round 1, there's plenty of more picks to come - maybe some moves - so I'm not overly concerned. Yet.

He looks a great player, just would like to have seen them pick someone to stop the run. At least we definitely have the best passing offence in the league now :) Would you trade up in the second? Lots of good players left there.

That's what we all said back in the Manning years too! :-)
    I agree, until the run gets stopped, and the acquisition of Irvin in free agency helps, it's always going to be our achilles heel. I'm not well up in the college game,, so I just want them to get the best guys that they see fit.

That's what we all said back in the Manning years too! :-)
    I agree, until the run gets stopped, and the acquisition of Irvin in free agency helps, it's always going to be our achilles heel. I'm not well up in the college game,, so I just want them to get the best guys that they see fit.

I was really hoping for Goldman or Collins but both of them have fallen so Im wondering that maybe they arent all that after all. Id love to see NT and S addressed tonight but if one of the top RB's is left, it would be hard to pass up.

Ah, everything I hear is there's plenty of running backs in the draft - plus the Colts have Gore, Boom, Zurlon (something like that) and Ballard is coming back from IR.

If they draft some one for the running game, I'd prefer some one for the right side of the Oline. We saw last year in Dallas what a good Oline can do for a running game.

On defence, I think they're a solid group and a year wiser, so like what Grigson said - they're after playmakers.

I think they stayed away from Collins cause they think he's a bit too much like Landry. But I would like at least one for each line - defense line, linebackers and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't believe I stayed up to watch the Colts draft a wide receiver. We need somebody to protect Luck. Or ya know, grab a defensive player. It's glaringly obvious that our D-line is extremely weak.

Grigson did say he went for the best play available and from all accounts he's a good kid too - love that the Colts always try to go for the high caliber players too.

Plus after the way Werner has worked out so far, I'm not too surprised he didn't defense with the first pick! :-)

Goldman and Phillips are still around so hopefully they will fall. I think we need to get someone on dline today. Dorrset was a surprise I have to admit. I think Grigs/Pagano want to ensure Luck has his weapons long term, but theyll face stern criticism if the dline struggles again.
    I dont know what is going on with Collins, I thought hed be well gone by now, considering there is a certain lack in quality at safety among other teams. Tj Clemmings is also around.

• Advertisement

Does anyone think Dorsett is a replacement for TY as he is in his contract year? If they cant get him for a good deal, I think they might let him walk. This guy seems awfully similar.

Advertisement