Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colts Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

That_Guy wrote: »
    Obviously Luck is our franchise QB but does anybody else think that him on the sidelines watching Hasselbeck is nothing but a good thing?

Ok, Matt's not exactly the greatest QB in the league, nor does he have the strongest arm in the league but with Luck taking a look at an O-Line that has failed him can only be a good thing for his progression in saying, "listen, I've got hurt. Matt's still taking hits. We need to strengthen here."

I'm not sure watching Matt play is going to do anything for him. Luck's style of play is just so much different.
    I think I saw Luck being described as something between Big Ben and Brett Farve. He's willing to hold onto the ball for too long hoping for some one to get open, or willing to throw the ball into a tight space hoping the reciever will make a play on the ball.
    Holding onto the ball is going to get you hurt and throwing the ball into tight spaces will get you great plays as well as picks.

In terms of upgrading the Oline, I'd love to see it happen. I'd love to see them build an Oline like Dallas has done and give Chuck the power running game he's wanted since he came to Indi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭letowski

This season sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

So does the coaching staff and the GM. Hell, most of the team do as well. Luck really did mask a lot of problems the past 2 years.

E: Honestly the best we played in the Luck era was with Arians at the helm. No coincidence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sick of Pagano tbh. Guaranteed to be sacked unless we win out which isnt happening. Hopefully Grigson is ran too, wasting money on Cole and Johnson(loved this pick up at the time) again this year. Nick Saban in and give him full control.

Yeah pagano has to be gone at the end of the season, he is just completely out of his depth here. Were just going backeards rapidly now. Its just sad viewing, Paganos coming in press conferences every week with these stupid cliches, and embarrasing himself. Irsay must surely have had enough.

I really hope Grigson goes too. Looking back, how the hell he though louis holmes and herremanns was a good enough starting interior to our oline was just nonsense. Then also moving mewhort to RT. Were now heading in the critical game of the season with both our qbs completely banged up now. Thats for me is more than enough of a firing offense in itself, with Luck as our franchise player. And thats without even getting into the Dorsett pick, FA vetern signings, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah pagano has to be gone at the end of the season, he is just completely out of his depth here. Were just going backeards rapidly now. Its just sad viewing, Paganos coming in press conferences every week with these stupid cliches, and embarrasing himself. Irsay must surely have had enough.

I really hope Grigson goes too. Looking back, how the hell he though louis holmes and herremanns was a good enough starting interior to our oline was just nonsense. Then also moving mewhort to RT. Were now heading in the critical game of the season with both our qbs completely banged up now. Thats for me is more than enough of a firing offense in itself, with Luck as our franchise player. And thats without even getting into the Dorsett pick, FA vetern signings, etc.

Definitely agree with you about the offensive line, how they couldn't give a franchise QB of Luck's calibre a decent line to protect him is beyond me. It's a joke. I hope both Pagano and Grigson are gone at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

It's been a good start to the Dolphins game. Hopefully we can get a win here today and other results go our way so we still have a chance next week of winning the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Simonko

This is what needs to happen for the Colts to make the playoffs this season:

1. IND win + HOU loss + IND ties HOU in strength of victory tiebreaker and clinches strength of schedule tiebreaker over HOU.

2. All of the following teams win: ATL, BAL, BUF, DEN, MIA.

3. OAK win or tie + PIT win or tie as long as both teams don't tie.

We'll be VERY lucky if all of this happens.

Simonko wrote: »
    This is what needs to happen for the Colts to make the playoffs this season:

1. IND win + HOU loss + IND ties HOU in strength of victory tiebreaker and clinches strength of schedule tiebreaker over HOU.

2. All of the following teams win: ATL, BAL, BUF, DEN, MIA.

3. OAK win or tie + PIT win or tie as long as both teams don't tie.

We'll be VERY lucky if all of this happens.

We probably wont even beat the Titans here. Pagano is definitely gone tomorrow which is great news. Now hopefully Irsay does the right thing and boots Grigson too. Nick Saban and Sean Payton linked so far.

Houston is 10-0 up against Jacksonville anyway so it doesn't really matter what we do against the Titans if it stays this way between those two. Should be a win for Houston today to tie up the division.

Yeah Pags is definitely gone, no way his contract is extended after how badly this team has regressed this year. I hope Grigs is gone too, I dread the though of him drafting in May for us.

• Advertisement

Pagano and Grigson are staying. Irsay must be more addled than I thought. Offers Chuck a 1 year deal last year and now after an 8-8 thinks he deserves a 4 year deal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

seems like a strange one, assumed like most of you guys he'd be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

He must be cheap or have some dirt on someone !

I honestly have no notion how Irsay felt the need to give Pagano 4 more years. We have barely made any progress during his tenure and are no closer to a competing for a SB than we were a couple of years ago. I know Im repeating my self here, but I have no faith at all in Grigson too.
    Everything went so stale this year, why he wants contiuity, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm amazed at the length of Pagano's deal tbh. I'm more amazed that Grigson is allowed to stay on and make crazy additions to the roster.

If Irsay wants continuity he'll get it with blow out after blow out for the next 4 years while never addressing key areas.

Another 4 more years of being blown out by any decent side, bad draft picks and wasting million on washed up has beens! We were very lucky to go from Manning to Luck and now we are wasting Lucks prime years with erratic awful decisions from Irsay like we did with Peyton.

Disappointed in both Grigson and Pagano being kept on. In other news Manusky has been fired as our defensive coach.

With Manusky and the other coaches gone, I'm wondering if these guys were Grigsons hires - like Pep reportedly was - and after Mondays meetings and new contracts that Pagano is now being allowed to get the guys he wants!

Still hopefully Grigson and Pagano have settled their issues and can work together. I like Chuck and can see why the players are happy to have him staying.

I still believe in the monster he wants to build.

With Manusky and the other coaches gone, I'm wondering if these guys were Grigsons hires - like Pep reportedly was - and after Mondays meetings and new contracts that Pagano is now being allowed to get the guys he wants!

Still hopefully Grigson and Pagano have settled their issues and can work together. I like Chuck and can see why the players are happy to have him staying.

I still believe in the monster he wants to build.

Simonko wrote:
    Disappointed in both Grigson and Pagano being kept on. In other news

Manusky

has been fired as our defensive coach.

Manusky just had to go all things considered. We have consistently ranked almost the worst defensive team in the 4yrs he has been DC. The defense is a huge worry as its aging and we dont have any playmakers. Hopefully we can get a good DC and draft well.

• Advertisement

The problem is we got a lot of needs. We need an new interior on the o-line and we need a lot of work on the defense. The state of our defense is shocking considering it's meant to be Paganos specialty.

Colts have kept Chud as OC and now hired Ted Monachino as DC - former LB coach for Ravens. He's definity a Pagano guy, so looks like Grigson may have stopped interfering in the coach hires now (if what they say about Pep was true anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the length of Pagano's deal tbh. I'm more amazed that Grigson is allowed to stay on and make crazy additions to the roster.

If Irsay wants continuity he'll get it with blow out after blow out for the next 4 years while never addressing key areas.

I think if Sean Payton had of left the Saints, he would have been the man to grab. As it worked out, we're stuck with Pagano and I can't seen him doing anything more for the team. To make matters worse, Grigson getting extended is the last thing the franchise needed. He's a compete disaster of a GM. So with all this, I'm not looking forward to the 2016 season.:(

Colts sign Patrick Robinson on a 3 year deal worth 12 million. I think its a decent pick up, hopefully he can be a solid CB2 next to Vontae. Its good we arent paying out inflated wages like last year.

Im hoping too we can still pick up another starting player or two in the FA on the oline. I know I cap space is tight, but with so much holes on our roster, we wont be able to fill them all just with our 6 draft picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Colts sign Patrick Robinson on a 3 year deal worth 12 million. I think its a decent pick up, hopefully he can be a solid CB2 next to Vontae. Its good we arent paying out inflated wages like last year.

Im hoping too we can still pick up another starting player or two in the FA on the oline. I know I cap space is tight, but with so much holes on our roster, we wont be able to fill them all just with our 6 draft picks.

Yeah Robinson did well for us in SD, surprised we didn't bring him back. I see Hayward (his replacement) cost us a little bit more too, 3 yrs $15m, $6.8m guaranteed.

I see nfl.com saying Robinson got a three-year contract worth $14 million with $6 million guaranteed?

Leslie91 wrote:
    Yeah Robinson did well for us in SD, surprised we didn't bring him back. I see Hayward (his replacement) cost us a little bit more too, 3 yrs $15m, $6.8m guaranteed.

I see nfl.com saying Robinson got a three-year contract worth $14 million with $6 million guaranteed?

Saw that there, it was Ian Rapports tweet this morning I read. I think 4 or 4.5 million seems about right, we have Vontae Davis on 9 million a year and he has pro bowled the last 2 years. Our GM was never going to pay for a Johnston or Jenkins for 12 million a year. Our pass defense was awful last year, part due to Toler at CB2 and our pass rush. Im hoping the Colts take an OLB in the first round. Oline obviously still needs fixing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

I'm worried that my change. Talk about Luck getting a record breaking deal and tbh, I don't think he deserves one.......not yet anyway. We're in a piss poor division and any good QB should be getting us to the playoffs imo anyway. I never bought into the Luck hype and afaic concerned, he needs to sort out his turnover & Int ratios before he gets a top salary.

Areyouwell wrote:
    I'm worried that my change. Talk about Luck getting a record breaking deal and tbh, I don't think he deserves one.......not yet anyway. We're in a piss poor division and any good QB should be getting us to the playoffs imo anyway. I never bought into the Luck hype and afaic concerned, he needs to sort out his turnover & Int ratios before he gets a top salary.

He is definitely going to get something in the early 20's million per year if not more. I think he will consistently be a top qb but your right, that particular part of his game needs to change. I can forgive him somewhat in the 2014/15 season, we had no ground game with Bradshaw injured and the Richardson fiasco, Luck threw it more than anyother qb so there was always going to be that drawback. What was frustrating about him last year was him was his decision making under pressure when rushed seemed to get worse and he always seem to just air it out which was madness. He was killing our D at the start of the year.
    I think he will improve on these thing, he comes across as a good competitive character, its the oline where im not convinced at all it will be ok. We havent brought in any player yet. Our cap space isnt huge but paying a solid guard or center isnt going to bust us. I was hoping we could concentrate on drafting defense high, but its likely going to be split bewteen oline players. Theres no real garrantee a rookie is going to come in a fix the oline problem. I dont have any confidence in Grigson draft the right players in the early rounds too.

Hope we give Luck the biggest contract in the NFL. Best young QB in the NFL (Cam Newton included) and a top 5 QB on his day. Useless line and run game and he still balls out.

• Advertisement

How do fans see drafting on Thursday?

I think we have so many needs, Grigson can make a mess of jis first round pick for the fourth year straight. For me our biggest needs are new starters at C, G, OLB, ILB, while RT, NT and S are other positions where we need quality (obviously we are not going to be addressing all our needs this summer).

I think center is definitely our biggest weakness but drafting one at 18 would maybe be a reach, although Ryan Kelly would be a definite upgrade. I think this isnt the strongest pass rushing class either so its hard to know who we will take. My favourite pick right now would be someone like Conklin if he drops as he can come in straight away and play RT or RG. Otherwise with the depth at DT I wouldnt be surprised if we took one here as Grigs has always gone BPA.

I think judging by team visits, comments, etc. Grigson will draft along the lines, DT, S, C, OLB, ILB, G. If Conklin does drop though Id expect us to draft him at 18.

Advertisement