Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Enabling fast NAT has gotten speeds back to 120Mbps but it is still less than what I had on the old package without it enabled. The router and modem are in a crawl space above an extension so I'll put the modem back in routed mode at the weekend and see if it helps and test locally connect to it to rule out my router. I just don't have time to get to it if something goes wrong right now! Its just odd that the package upgrade coincides with the drop in speed and I was wondering if using bridge mode could of contributed to it as alluded to by UPC they never even mentioned my router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I had that issue. 240mb, with speeds being around 140mb.

The issue was Tomato on my Asus RT-N16. Put the stock firmware back on and full speeds.

Did you suffer a speed drop post upgrade or just limited speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

tnegun wrote: »
    Did you suffer a speed drop post upgrade or just limited speed?

I was on 120Mb. Upgraded to 240Mb. I was only getting around 140Mb after the upgrade. Pre upgrade everything was fine.

Ok got it back to routed mode and it topped out at 140Mbps wired directly to the modem, I've also put the stock firmware back on my Asus. Strangely when I went to re-enable bridge mode I had the option to do so without editing the page.

How do these line stats look?

343304.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

tnegun wrote: »
    Ok got it back to routed mode and it topped out at 140Mbps wired directly to the modem, I've also put the stock firmware back on my Asus. Strangely when I went to re-enable bridge mode I had the option to do so without editing the page.

How do these line stats look?

343304.JPG
    Those stats are more than adequate and I assure you that the EPC3925 being in bridge mode would not affect you topping off. But you're not alone in your upgrade woes. I was affected but not as badly as you, but there are people worse off than me posting in a thread over in the UPC Talk To board. When my problems were at their worst, it didn't matter what mode my EPC3925 was in. I'd even factory reset it just to be sure of this. I'm mostly okay now and still in bridge mode with my WNDR3700 on stock (Gargoyle firmware wasn't doing my router any favors since the upgrade).

You should test at night, preferably when the neighborhood is mostly sleeping! And when you're getting 140Mb max during the day, does it fluctuate or is it consistent? If it's fluctuating and okay at night then it could be high usage in your area causing it.

I tested late at night too and it was the same 140 - 144 Mbps. UPC have scheduled a call out and since that was arranged last week my tests have increased to between 180 and 200Mbps.
    I don't know if I should cancel now the support agent said he could see a problem with my line but when I pushed to find out what it was wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Just to follow up for anyone looking my speeds deteriorated to less than 100Mbps today and I had canceled the engineer yesterday!

I got on the phone to UPC and they wanted me to call Premium support as I was using bridge mode so I said they could configure it as they pleased and I'd connect a single device. After the reset we got 160 Mbps and the guy still wanted me to call Premium Support as I was just through to a call center and the couldn't support my setup.

I argued that all that was now connected was a laptop and their cable modem/router so he must be able to support that and said all he could do was a full reset and after that I'd have to call premium. I asked him to go ahead and 20 mins later I've got the full 240 Mbps in both routed and bridge mode.

I'll monitor to be sure it doesn't deteriorate again but I'd love to know the difference between the reset I performed holding the button and the one he did remotely. I suspected he updated firmware but mine is still showing "Apr 12 14:05:19 2013" as the date,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

His reset may have reset you at the CMTS end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

So i got two accounts one in my mothers and my apartment i asked the guy to separate them so 2 different bills and he did, and he said i set you up 2 new account and he said my internet would go down for an hour and yes it did , i have the cisco EPC3925 in bridge mode to a Asus RT-AC66U was working fine until he did that yesterday they reset my cisco router now i can still put it in bridge mode but my Asus router wont pick up an ip so ive no internet anyone know why thats happening cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

So i got two accounts one in my mothers and my apartment i asked the guy to separate them so 2 different bills and he did, and he said i set you up 2 new account and he said my internet would go down for an hour and yes it did , i have the cisco EPC3925 in bridge mode to a Asus RT-AC66U was working fine until he did that yesterday they reset my cisco router now i can still put it in bridge mode but my Asus router wont pick up an ip so ive no internet anyone know why thats happening cheers

Connect a pc/laptop to Lan port #1 on the bridged 3925. Make sure you have DCHP enabled and see if you can connect to the internet. This will confirm if the problem is with the cisco modem.

ye internet is working on the cisco router

I wonder if UPC have given you an IPV6 address since the change.

they did as it was a new account and i rang premium support and they changed it back for me real nice guy on the phone all back working thank god :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zechnkaas

Hi just got a simple question:

Would it be possible that someone could post the code for the Wireless Setup page ? My ISP removed it from the Management page. i always would have to enter Name and Security Key on their Website and they push these settings to the Router. I would like to manually configure it. because A you have to have at least 8 Characters for the Wireless name. B No influence on encryption specific settings.

thanks

zechnkaas wrote: »
    Hi just got a simple question:

Would it be possible that someone could post the code for the Wireless Setup page ? My ISP removed it from the Management page. i always would have to enter Name and Security Key on their Website and they push these settings to the Router. I would like to manually configure it. because A you have to have at least 8 Characters for the Wireless name. B No influence on encryption specific settings.

thanks
    Are you asking for the default username and password for the EPC3925 web configuration? If so, on UPC Ireland, you leave both fields blank (ie. no username and password until you set one up yourself). Hope that helps.

No don't get me wrong. I can set everything on Router except the Wireless setting.They removed it. (like they did with the Bridge Mode)
    i only Setting sections on the Router i see are: Setup, Security, Access Restrictions, Applications & Gamiing, Afministration, Status, Log OFF.

you See the Wireless setting section is removed

So i can't set the wireless settings on the router itself. You have to logon on the Providers Service Website (where you can see your bills, products) there you are able to set the settings. Then you press Apply and the settings will be pushed to your Router. (it also restarts after it does). Settings are quite limited as i wrote before.

as i got a new user i am not allowed to post images or urls :( so i can't post a picture how my router settings page look like.

if i do the Bridge Mode Source code paste i see the wireless section (but not useable as soon as you click on it it tries to load the page which has been removed). So i was asking if someone could post the source of the wireless setting page here. So i could give it a try if it also just works as the simple bridge mode trick.

(before i had another provider who also used the EPC3925 there the Wireless section was available so i know this Router)

is there another way to post pictures ? i Don't wan't to span 23 posts -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Upload it somewhere and just past link. If link would be blocked just put some "space" into it.

there you go

http:// i.imgur.com/ROnkeIN.png

Try the "Radio Settings" and "Wireless Security" pages' source code from my bridged EPC3925 and see if they work for you:
    http://pastebin.com/iWAf0X11
    http://pastebin.com/mVQzH1Lk

• Advertisement

Here ya go. From a bridged 3925 on "epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125572-130412c_upc.bin".

http://pastebin.com/hfwtEuwm

http://pastebin.com/ZWaP16WB

http://pastebin.com/24wtYs2g

EDIT: Dang too slow, can never beat DECEiFER!

I'll give you that one since you bothered to check your firmware version and I didn't, and added in the "Advanced Settings." :)

*checks now*

Yup, same as you!

Cool thanks,

i will try today as soon as i am at home. Also i'll check the FW version.

ED E wrote: »
    Here ya go. From a bridged 3925 on "epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125572-130412c_upc.bin".
    EDIT: Dang too slow, can never beat DECEiFER!

thanks ED E but your pages are not working for me at all (doesn't show any background Cisco Logo etc.)
    DECEiFER wrote:
    Try the "Radio Settings" and "Wireless Security" pages' source code from my bridged EPC3925 and see if they work for you:

thanks your pages at least showed up right but are not triggerable not doing anything. Unfortunately the removed the pages completely from the Router (i get 404 errors trying to directly access them)

So it is not like the HTML edited Administration.asp. :(

thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 drmutaba

Does anyone know if the EPC3925 supports VLAN? The OpenWRT wiki says so, but I can't find anything about it. If someone has a EPC3925 with VLAN enabled, could you please post the sourcecode of the .asp?

It supports a guest network so its very likely they implement 802.11Q tagging yeah. That said, its a locked down firmware, you probably can't implement your own VLANs.

If its a functionality you need bridge it to a real router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gino.rockt

Hey guys,
    I'm sure there is a solution anywhere in these 66 pages for my problem. But for now I cant find it. I'm not able to see the "working mode" bar when I change the html. I just can't make it work.
    Unfortunately I cant share a picture. But I can tell you, the page is quite empty when I change the source code.

drive.live.com/redir?resid=53351E008E8F4536%21106296

any suggestions?

gino.rockt wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm sure there is a solution anywhere in these 66 pages for my problem. But for now I cant find it. I'm not able to see the "working mode" bar when I change the html. I just can't make it work.
    Unfortunately I cant share a picture. But I can tell you, the page is quite empty when I change the source code.

any suggestions?

Maybe a factory reset?

thanks for the info! my provider now also told me there is no way to use VLAN with the EPC3925, so I'm gonna bridge it put my pfsense box behind it (which I really can recommend, it's an awesome piece of software!)

• Advertisement

gino.rockt wrote: »
    Hey guys,

any suggestions?

Try using firefox - open the site, go to firefox menu "view" and select "page style -> no style". now it should show everything which might be disabled in the sourcecode, but it won't show stuff that might be deleted by your ISP within the firmware.

Advertisement