Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

DECEiFER wrote: »
    A factory reset of the 3925 should put it back into router mode so if that's not the case, your reset might not have worked.

Cheers DECEiFER.

Is there a method to reset?

I just pressed the reset button briefly whilst it was plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Small hole - stick something for 5-10 sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Cheers DECEiFER.

Is there a method to reset?

I just pressed the reset button briefly whilst it was plugged in.
    That should normally do it. Hold it in for 10 seconds until you see the lights go off, which means that it's rebooting.

That should normally do it. Hold it in for 10 seconds until you see the lights go off, which means that it's rebooting.

That reset did the trick. seeing the router at 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.100.1 The speedtest now runs at 240. Not sure what is the issue on my end.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

It is not Your fault - i had the same.

• Advertisement

loki7777 wrote: »
    It is not Your fault - i had the same.

Thanks loki.

But if it runs full speed unbridged, there must be an issue with the RT-N16 bridged?

That reset did the trick. seeing the router at 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.100.1 The speedtest now runs at 240. Not sure what is the issue on my end.:confused:
    Try bridging again and see what you get through your Asus. If you're back down at 140, maybe do a factory reset of the Asus this time and reconfigure it. Don't forget to disable the wireless in the 3925, which you can now do via bridge mode (you couldn't back when I wrote this guide) and you can leave everything else alone in the 3925, just bridge it and disable the wireless.

Try bridging again and see what you get through your Asus. If you're back down at 140, maybe do a factory reset of the Asus this time and reconfigure it. Don't forget to disable the wireless in the 3925, which you can now do via bridge mode (you couldn't back when I wrote this guide) and you can leave everything else alone in the 3925, just bridge it and disable the wireless.

I did a full nvram reset of the Asus. Still on 140Mb unfortunately.

I might try a different Tomato firmware or maybe load up the default Asus software again for troubleshooting purposes.

At least i know the issue is on my end, so a big thanks to loki & DECEiFER.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I might try a different Tomato firmware or maybe load up the default Asus software again for troubleshooting purposes.
    If you're using 3rd party F/W like Tomato (or DD-WRT or OpenWRT), that could be the root of your problem.

I don't know about the ASUS, but my TP-LINK WDR4300, that can happily manage 200Mbit/s with the native TP-Link F/W, peaks at about 150Mbit/s with DD-WRT. The reason is that the WDR4300 has hardware NAT acceleration that isn't supported by DD-WRT (and apparently never will be), so all NAT processing has to be done in software, and the processor simply can't keep up.

Alun wrote: »
    If you're using 3rd party F/W like Tomato (or DD-WRT or OpenWRT), that could be the root of your problem.

I don't know about the ASUS, but my TP-LINK WDR4300, that can happily manage 200Mbit/s with the native TP-Link F/W, peaks at about 150Mbit/s with DD-WRT. The reason is that the WDR4300 has hardware NAT acceleration that isn't supported by DD-WRT (and apparently never will be), so all NAT processing has to be done in software, and the processor simply can't keep up.

Thank you for that Alun. I think i will try the default Asus software (apparently it has improved greatly in the last 18 months)

• Advertisement

Alun's right, you should try the stock firmware again. Best of luck with it!

Alun's right, you should try the stock firmware again. Best of luck with it!

4043640428.png

Asus stock did the trick. The only thing i miss is the ability to trick the Chromecast into not using Google's DNS :)

Great stuff! Can you do a UPC speed test also? Some of us aren't getting the full 240 as of yesterday or the day before and it's not a router issue and for me it's not as low as 140 or consistent like it was for you as my results over the last 24 hours have varied from 180-230. It was fine on Monday when I first upgraded but I haven't been able to get 240 since (even in the AM). Speedtest.net servers can give false positives at times so if you check on the UPC speed test, you should get an accurate result. And if it's not what you'd hoped by coming in at less than 240, you can report this (with a screenshot) to UPC who are more likely to act upon results from their own test and not from Speedtest.net.

Here's where a few of us have reported the issue:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057357000

Great stuff! Can you do a UPC speed test also?

8bWFDjc.png?2

66Traog.png?1

8bWFDjc.png?2

66Traog.png?1
    Funny thing is, my stats are slightly more in-spec than yours. But that's grand. Keep an eye on it anyway and test it a few times per day at different points like the morning, afternoon, evening, and night when nobody is using it and just make sure it's holding for your own sake.

Funny thing is, my stats are slightly more in-spec than yours. But that's grand. Keep an eye on it anyway and test it a few times per day at different points like the morning, afternoon, evening, and night when nobody is using it and just make sure it's holding for your own sake.

Cheers DECEiFER. I'll check my SamKnows every day.

I can remember 56k in 1998, how times change :)

Cheers DECEiFER. I'll check my SamKnows every day.

I can remember 56k in 1998, how times change :)
    Lucky bastard, I only had 33.6k back then! 56k came around the turn of the millennium and well in time for a bit of Napster.

I'd say you should stick to the UPC speed test initially just to make sure things are consistent and you're getting 240 or above. Ideally with cable you always get more than the stated amount due to it not having the same overheads as DSL. So I'd expect 242-246 if everything is going smoothly.

Alun wrote: »

If anyone else using Tomato happens upon this thread. Here is a potential fix:

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides-tutorials/networking-guides/13942-tomato-firmware-improve-wan-lan-throughput-fast-nat-bcm-nat.html

When i try it i will report back if sucessful

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If anyone else using Tomato happens upon this thread. Here is a potential fix:

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides-tutorials/networking-guides/13942-tomato-firmware-improve-wan-lan-throughput-fast-nat-bcm-nat.html

When i try it i will report back if sucessful
    ASUS routers usually use Broadcom chipsets so you may be in luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@moonboy52
    If you are going to stay on stock, then you can look at Merlin's version - basically stock with a few fixes/enhancements.
    Useful for dnsmasq if you need it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

Does anybody know how to switch the technicolor TC7200 into bridge mode? I had a cisco one a year ago but they changed it for this one and the wifi is fairly terrible on it and wanted to buy an ac router, one that actually has decent range :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

eoin1539 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to switch the technicolor TC7200 into bridge mode? I had a cisco one a year ago but they changed it for this one and the wifi is fairly terrible on it and wanted to buy an ac router, one that actually has decent range :pac:

Did you search?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

degsie wrote: »
    Did you search?
    I had a look on boards and people were complaining about not being able to do it and all UPC said was "UPC do not support a bridge mode option. " I'm sure there's some work around like there is on the Cisco one as they half assed it (surprise surprise it's UPC!)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Hey guys,

I have recently switched back to upc after a nightmare couple of months with eircom. I previously had the epc3925 bridged and it was giving the public ip to my netgear router.

So I have switched back and everything is the same, However now when I bridge the cisco it is giving my netgear a 10. something private address and I can not get online, it looks like its giving me the corect dns 89.101.160.47. Take it out of bridge mode and everything works perfect.

Has anyone any idea what is going on? I also have a new technicolour router they provided me but I believe that cant be bridged?

Thanks in advance

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a situation that I hope someone has come across. I've been trying to fix this for the last 8 hours.

I was with upc and had the cisco router bridged, everything was great. I switched to eircom and had nothing but trouble. I'm now back to upc with my original modem in bridge mode but it is now handing my netgear a 10. Something private address. I can't get on line and just can't get my head around it. Is it something to do with ipv6? If I take the cisco out of bridge mode it works perfect but as soon as it's bridged I get a 10. Ip

Anyone came across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can't be sure but they may have put you on DSLite, when you check what your IP is itll be a UPC one, but shared between x number of customers. Thus cant be leased out to your own router.

Unbridged does the 3925 show its WAN IP on the status page? Have a look to see if its started using IPV6.

ED E wrote: »
    Can't be sure but they may have put you on DSLite, when you check what your IP is itll be a UPC one, but shared between x number of customers. Thus cant be leased out to your own router.

Unbridged does the 3925 show its WAN IP on the status page? Have a look to see if its started using IPV6.

can't seem to find anywher in the cisco showing my ip but what's my ip is showing I'm in the 37.228 range. Is this a new range for upc? I have disabled dhcpv6 just in case that was causing the issue.

what do you mean by DSLite?

It looks like a double nat but can't figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DSLite is double nat or Carrier Grade NAT.

If it is turned on for you you need to call UPC to moan until they revert you.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    DSLite is double nat or Carrier Grade NAT.

If it is turned on for you you need to call UPC to moan until they revert you.

On the phone to them now.. He's saying I am on dslite! But I'm on IPv4.. Hopefully he changes it

Cheers mate

Advertisement