Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

When bridging is disabled, what exactly to I have to do with my Asus RT66u and Cisco to get the network back up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yes so we are where we are at the moment, what is the best temporary alternative configuration to keep third party routers up and running? I know you can just turn off dhcp and turn off the wifi on the Cisco and basically use your expensive router as an access point, but what about segmentation of the network would this work? Any downsides?

Yes so we are where we are at the moment, what is the best temporary alternative configuration to keep third party routers up and running? I know you can just turn off dhcp and turn off the wifi on the Cisco and basically use your expensive router as an access point, but what about segmentation of the network would this work? Any downsides?
    You really only have two options here: :(

1 - double NAT the Cisco with your own router, or
    2 - Disable the routing on your router and just use it as an access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BK has a pretty good write up on what to do in the first post on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191

As I said, that's the method I've been using (including the set up of the DMZ) for quite a while now and I have no issues whatsoever. I have a main network within the house and a secondary running on Wireless homeplugs in a building away from the main house, all connected via my own router connected to Virgins.

I don't suffer any network fragmentation or slow down, it's as smooth as silk basically for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Can anybody confirm if the DMZ option mentioned in the above guide still exists on the EPC3925 after the recent changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jmcy

Hi YES DMZ still works, see

www_.boards_.ie/ttfpost/97554440

remove underscores '_'

It still works on the Technicolor too. Had a power cut yesterday so it rebooted anyway and everything is still fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Have the 3925, if I unplug it and replug will it still retain bridge mode.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

stanley1 wrote: »
    Have the 3925, if I unplug it and replug will it still retain bridge mode.

TIA

You have read the last couple of pages in the thread, right? :)

Answer: you lose bridging if you reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We've only had a few reports of users who can't bridge anymore. Would be slow to claim a total national change in CMTS config.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Yeah, mine rebooted last Sunday morning out of nowhere. It retained bridge mode when it came back up, still running the same firmware also. This issue doesn't seem to affecting everyone, but it's hard to judge what the parameters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

roast wrote: »
    Yeah, mine rebooted last Sunday morning out of nowhere. It retained bridge mode when it came back up, still running the same firmware also. This issue doesn't seem to affecting everyone, but it's hard to judge what the parameters are.

Did the issue not start to happen midweek though?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

moonboy52 wrote: »

I think so ... I'm not going to volunteer to test out that theory though :D

My personal opinion is that those who are still bridged just haven't rebooted their modems or lost sync since the change was made. Seems it happened on Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

moonboy52 wrote: »

I definitely know of one other person who's router rebooted at around the same time, but in fact was affected post-reboot. Not sure if his firmware changed (I'd assume so) but his settings sure did.
    Karsini wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that those who are still bridged just haven't rebooted their modems or lost sync since the change was made. Seems it happened on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'd agree with you there. Not going to chance rebooting just yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

HI all,not sure if its right place but will give it a try,basically the cisco epc3925 is piece of crap of a router,since every-time id be using streaming or torrents,minute i close application slowly internet speed drops to eventually dropping connection across all devices-all wireless,no cables.only solution is to go into router and reset from there,or do it manually which is total pain in the but.

Now i think it has to do with routers NAT table overflowing from all incoming connections thus if one is doing downloads rest are loosing bandwidth,and i think its 5 minutes or so before table is cleared otherwise,but even with that it cant handle couple hundred nodes connecting instantly.

and wireless speed in general is pure crap having decent long range wifi cards i cant still get more then 50MBps on supposed 240 line.now being ancient router having internal antenna is useless.

So looking at advice is there any other type router that could manage proper loads on coaxial connection and would it work with upc.

Or should i be looking at router-switch-router setup,since cant get cables across the house thus wireless is only option.

Feel silly posting such questions since doing ccna course and should know basics by now,but haven't progressed far enough where bridge mode or similar options would be covered :(

While i know torrents and such could be limited on application side,but it seems router depending on users gets easily overloaded,and speed option is real downer-due to lack of proper wireless coverage.

The issues you describe are the very reason we are all up in arms at the moment about the removal of Bridging from the EPC3925 by Virgin.

Its a dreadful stand alone modem router for the reasons you describe but ironically was the most desirable UPC/Virgin router for power users because it was the only UPC router than allowed bridging without any need for hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I've posted in the Talk To thread about it. Good amount of support for the cause there and it's a rippling effect because we all know that it doesn't just mean we'd be inclined to leave, we'd take others with us. Unbelievable. I won't be rebooting on purpose anytime soon but I'm not sure I'd be willing to worry about it for long so I might take off before anything even happens on my end. We don't pay them so that we can feel that stressed out about it.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I've posted in the Talk To thread about it. Good amount of support for the cause there and it's a rippling effect because we all know that it doesn't just mean we'd be inclined to leave, we'd take others with us. Unbelievable. I won't be rebooting on purpose anytime soon but I'm not sure I'd be willing to worry about it for long so I might take off before anything even happens on my end. We don't pay them so that we can feel that stressed out about it.
    I'm right behind you there; we're usually on the same page about all things Virgin Media.

I'm giving them a bit of time in the hope they might undo this, but once I lose patience I'll have to look at eir or Vodafone. Bit nervous of getting a phone line in after my last nightmare in 2008, but that was in a different house. I'm literally around the corner from a VDSL cabinet now.

I'm right behind you there; we're usually on the same page about all things Virgin Media.

I'm giving them a bit of time in the hope they might undo this, but once I lose patience I'll have to look at eir or Vodafone. Bit nervous of getting a phone line in after my last nightmare in 2008, but that was in a different house. I'm literally around the corner from a VDSL cabinet now.
    I'm not too far from one either. Haven't had VDSL before. I had bad experiences when I lived in Tralee for 4-5 years while I was in the I.T. so I was always in favor of getting cable when I moved back towards home.

I think we should give a reasonable amount of time for them to reconsider, so I'm with you right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 JoeMcD36

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You can set it up as an access point from your Virgin modem. A few of us here have done it this way without using bridging and it works fine. Last place I saw one in a B&W store it was Currys.

I've never gone to the bother of bridging and it works perfect on my home network. I don't have the need, or want, to access it from outside of my home so I'm not bothered by the lack of proper bridging at the moment.

ThisRegard

Hi, I'm looking for help and I'm technically abysmal.

I just bought a C8 in an effort to improve my wireless speeds. after seeing the last few posts I assumed I'd wasted my money.

1. Are you saying that I don't need bridge mode to improve wireless. If I follow the steps in bk's sticky post will that do it?
    2. also bearing in mind that I haven't a clue technically bk gives instructions in his post (step 6) on how to issue IP addresses within the required range. How do you do this with the C8.

Thanks a mill for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bridge mode helps routing, wifi will work just fine without bridging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JoeMcD36

ED E wrote: »
    Bridge mode helps routing, wifi will work just fine without bridging.

So if my use case is just to improve wifi speeds for various devices in various locations in the house the C8 may still be better than the UPC Cisco router regardless of this new bridging constraint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Friking retards...half my authentication stuff doesn't work.

I'm seriously pissed off and considering my options, I consider this to be a substantial change in service.

JoeMcD36 wrote: »
    So if my use case is just to improve wifi speeds for various devices in various locations in the house the C8 may still be better than the UPC Cisco router regardless of this new bridging constraint

Basically yes. If you have no need to access say for example your own NAS, media server etc from outside your own home the instructions in the first post is more than adequate.

Being honest I think a lot of the posts claiming that their own equipment is now redundant are an exaggeration. Yes, some rely on accessing their network outside of the home and they've valid complaints, but a lot who claim that the lack of bridging has now made their own equipment a waste of money don't really know why, other than the fact bridging is now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

DECEiFER wrote: »

Who do we go to on mass? Eir? Vodafone? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Can anyone give me a link to a simply guide to configure the 3925 (without bridge feature) to allow me to connect another router for accessing NAs remotely and external security cameras that were configured with second router wirelessly and I cant reconfigure without ALOT of hassle?
    Need a stop gap until my 30days are up or new provider in
    Many thanks

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Basically yes. If you have no need to access say for example your own NAS, media server etc from outside your own home the instructions in the first post is more than adequate.

Being honest I think a lot of the posts claiming that their own equipment is now redundant are an exaggeration. Yes, some rely on accessing their network outside of the home and they've valid complaints, but a lot who claim that the lack of bridging has now made their own equipment a waste of money don't really know why, other than the fact bridging is now gone.

I don't have any IP cameras or NAS's that need to be accessed from outside the network. However my concern is whether a now non bridged Asus RT N66u router is still taking the bulk of the routing load off the Cisco EPC3925. The Cisco buckled under the load of multiple connections (Torrents, though I do also have about 30 distinct IP connected devices in inside my home) and overheated resulting in plummeting speeds and multiple connection drops a day. The day I bridged to the asus was the day this stopped and my connection has run 105% rated speed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year for the 3 years since I bridged with ZERO connection drops.

The loss of Bridging won't affect me drastically if my Asus is still doing the heavy lifting for all those torrent connections and the Cisco is just passing them through without having to do much work itself. However, if this change means my Cisco is back to having to cope with torrent levels of connections then the loss of bridging will very much affect me despite me not having to access my internal network from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Calibos wrote: »
    I don't have any IP cameras or NAS's that need to be accessed from outside the network. However my concern is whether a now non bridged Asus RT N66u router is still taking the bulk of the routing load off the Cisco EPC3925. The Cisco buckled under the load of multiple connections (Torrents, though I do also have about 30 distinct IP connected devices in inside my home) and overheated resulting in plummeting speeds and multiple connection drops a day. The day I bridged to the asus was the day this stopped and my connection has run 105% rated speed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year for the 3 years since I bridged with ZERO connection drops.

The loss of Bridging won't affect me drastically if my Asus is still doing the heavy lifting for all those torrent connections and the Cisco is just passing them through without having to do much work itself. However, if this change means my Cisco is back to having to cope with torrent levels of connections then the loss of bridging will very much affect me despite me not having to access my internal network from outside.

I'm in the same boat myself with that modem and router and have the same concern. Mine is still in bridge at the moment but knowing it could drop at anytime is making me think of switching to another ISP before it happens. Out of curisoity did everyone here have to edit the HTML to see the bridging option or was it always visible on the UI? It was a long time ago when I had my modem replaced and the option was there without any changes needed.

• Advertisement

redman wrote: »
    Who do we go to on mass? Eir? Vodafone? ...
    It doesn't matter. Whoever gives you the best deal is the one you should go with.
    redman wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a link to a simply guide to configure the 3925 (without bridge feature) to allow me to connect another router for accessing NAs remotely and external security cameras that were configured with second router wirelessly and I cant reconfigure without ALOT of hassle?
    Need a stop gap until my 30days are up or new provider in
    Many thanks
    Here you go: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056684993
    CSSE09 wrote: »
    Out of curisoity did everyone here have to edit the HTML to see the bridging option or was it always visible on the UI? It was a long time ago when I had my modem replaced and the option was there without any changes needed.
    Nope, most of our devices got the option as standard not long after this guide was written.

Advertisement