Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

Wow, they sent you a 3925 that easily? :)

When you enable bridge mode, you can still access the Cisco via http://192.168.100.1. This is the standard IP address for DOCSIS cable modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah to be honest I'm still in shock :) best customer experience I've had I'm a long time!

loki7777 wrote: »
    No, read first post - You will have to turn off few things.
    The first post describes how to put it in Bridge mode via a html hack? I think from reading the thread it was enabled in drop down via firmware update

The first post describes how to put it in Bridge mode via a html hack? I think from reading the thread it was enabled in drop down via firmware update

Yes, you don't need the HTML hack anymore, but you'll still need to disable the Wi-Fi yourself.

Karsini wrote: »
    Yes, you don't need the HTML hack anymore, but you'll still need to disable the Wi-Fi yourself.

But I should be able to disable the wifi once I've bridged and set up the Asus by going to the ip you specified in the previous post?

• Advertisement

But I should be able to disable the wifi once I've bridged and set up the Asus by going to the ip you specified in the previous post?

I'm not that familiar with the UI on the 3925 but I can't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rafaelarraes

Someone could help me and other friends from the fórum and record a vídeo putting this cisco on bridge mode? This way will be much easier to do the exactly process

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm not that familiar with the UI on the 3925 but I can't see why not.

Hi Guys,

I got my ASUS RT66 yesterday. Setup was very straightforward - connected its wan port to a lan port on the cisco, piped all the ethernet cables i had to the cisco into the lan ports on the asus. Connected wirelessly to the cisco's SSID and changed the mode to 'bridged' The modem rebooted, and then I booted the ASUS. Setting up the ASUS was a breeze, walked me through setting an admin password, then wireless password and SSID. All my connections worked. Connected to the the new http address of the cisco and disabled its wireless broadcast.

Everything was working fine. I decided to upgrade the firmware on the ASUS. Did that via the ASUS and that process went grand and I was able to connect to the internet etc via all devices. After a few minutes though the internet connection dropped and I didnt have time to investigate. This morning before running out the door, i rebooted both the cisco and the asus again but there was still no internet access via the ASUS. I didnt have time to investigate but what could have gone wrong? I did have internet access after updating the firmware as i was able to run speedtests etc on my phone.

Could there be an IP conflict and maybe rebooting some of the devices might help? I've seen that before with the older cisco.

I'm hoping it will be working when I get home this evening but doubt it. I guess first thing will be to run the ASUS setup wizard again.. Anyone have simillar issues before?

Just an aside - I have a wireless N card in my PC and direct to the cisco on the connection properties on Windows 8 the speed was being reported as 127mb... With the ASUS that is now being reported as 450mb.. Hopefully should mean improved streaming..

Cheers,
    Mick

Looks like it came back working.. my wife phoned to say everything seemed to be ok again.. anyone experience drop out probems bridging? Hopefully its just a once off

Cheers,
    Mick
    Hi Guys,

I got my ASUS RT66 yesterday. Setup was very straightforward - connected its wan port to a lan port on the cisco, piped all the ethernet cables i had to the cisco into the lan ports on the asus. Connected wirelessly to the cisco's SSID and changed the mode to 'bridged' The modem rebooted, and then I booted the ASUS. Setting up the ASUS was a breeze, walked me through setting an admin password, then wireless password and SSID. All my connections worked. Connected to the the new http address of the cisco and disabled its wireless broadcast.

Everything was working fine. I decided to upgrade the firmware on the ASUS. Did that via the ASUS and that process went grand and I was able to connect to the internet etc via all devices. After a few minutes though the internet connection dropped and I didnt have time to investigate. This morning before running out the door, i rebooted both the cisco and the asus again but there was still no internet access via the ASUS. I didnt have time to investigate but what could have gone wrong? I did have internet access after updating the firmware as i was able to run speedtests etc on my phone.

Could there be an IP conflict and maybe rebooting some of the devices might help? I've seen that before with the older cisco.

I'm hoping it will be working when I get home this evening but doubt it. I guess first thing will be to run the ASUS setup wizard again.. Anyone have simillar issues before?

Just an aside - I have a wireless N card in my PC and direct to the cisco on the connection properties on Windows 8 the speed was being reported as 127mb... With the ASUS that is now being reported as 450mb.. Hopefully should mean improved streaming..

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Hi I have the 3925 in Bridge mode now, I have a TP Link router with DD-WRT installed on it that I want to use as my main router while connected to the 3925, I'm not having a lot of luck getting it to access the internet.

Does anyone have any tips at all?

The TP Link router in question does have a WAN port on it if that helps!

• Advertisement

Looks like it came back working.. my wife phoned to say everything seemed to be ok again.. anyone experience drop out probems bridging? Hopefully its just a once off

Cheers,
    Mick
    My mysterious outages were due to the Cisco being plugged into a powerblock that we cut power to each night... Was on hold to Upc when I noticed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

rogercross wrote: »
    Hi I have the 3925 in Bridge mode now, I have a TP Link router with DD-WRT installed on it that I want to use as my main router while connected to the 3925, I'm not having a lot of luck getting it to access the internet.

Does anyone have any tips at all?

The TP Link router in question does have a WAN port on it if that helps!

This is the guide i followed roger. Although it is for bridging the RT-N16 it may give you some pointers as to a step you may have left out

http://www.ronanskehill.com/2013/02/16/bridging-cisco-epc3925-and-using-asus-rt-n16-instead-howto/

Hi moonboy, thanks I was looking at that guide, unfortunately as I'm running a DD-WRT firmware on my other router I can't see any real internet setup guide its all sort of manual which is why i'm stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

rogercross wrote: »
    Hi moonboy, thanks I was looking at that guide, unfortunately as I'm running a DD-WRT firmware on my other router I can't see any real internet setup guide its all sort of manual which is why i'm stuck.
    I have Tomato on mine Roger. maybe set DD-WRT back to defaults.

Many thanks for your help, I can't explain it I really can't but a second full reset back to defaults and the DD-WRT router picked up all necessary connection settings from my bridged UPC router :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Finally got around to doing this and am delighted I did.
    Everything working perfect now.
    Was having terrible drops and speeds with wifi but now all is stable.
    Great speeds all over the house and really stable.
    Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cardisukra

This might be a stupid question, but...
    What happens to the 4 switch ports of the EPC3925 when you put it into bridge mode?
    Like, what if I connect 2 (or more) PCs to the switch ports? Will they simply not get an IP address from the ISP because the 1 that is available has already been assigned?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

cardisukra wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but...
    What happens to the 4 switch ports of the EPC3925 when you put it into bridge mode?
    Like, what if I connect 2 (or more) PCs to the switch ports? Will they simply not get an IP address from the ISP because the 1 that is available has already been assigned?

Thanks.
    You'll be able to use up to 3 of them to get 3 unique public IPs. I don't know why, but UPC does allow up to 3 per customer. If you're just looking to create a home network, just use one of the EPC's ports and a router/switch, etc., for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ Dont think you get 3x the bandwidth though, they share the same pipe(so if you were to use two you'd break QoS).

ED E wrote: »
    ^ Dont think you get 3x the bandwidth though, they share the same pipe(so if you were to use two you'd break QoS).
    Oh no, unlikely. I've had my modem bridged since September 2012 and haven't really used more than one IP at a time, there's no real need. I just use the one port on my modem and the router does the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 adnansa88

can someone please help me,
    I am trying to unhidde the bridge mode option, but I have no idea how to edit the source code .... I view the source code on Opera but I cant edit it... it wont let me delete, cut or paste the needed HTML code... please help

adnansa88 wrote: »
    can someone please help me,
    I am trying to unhidde the bridge mode option, but I have no idea how to edit the source code .... I view the source code on Opera but I cant edit it... it wont let me delete, cut or paste the needed HTML code... please help

Are you on UPC Ireland? If so you don't need to do the code injection anymore. Also, new versions of Opera are based on Google Chrome so this probably won't work. You'd need to use an older version based on the old layout engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adnansa88

no I am not from Ireland, I live in Bosnia so I just googled how to set up my dlink with this cisco modem.. My cable company gave me this modem, but the internet (wifi) is horrible so I want to use my dlink dir 655 ... I am completely lost right now, and not sure what to do. I connected my dlink and created a connection, I can log on to the wifi but there is no internet connection over wifi or wired.... so exactly what do I do now?

when I go under management in the cisco modem all I can select is the following:

i61.tinypic.com/2sb4pk1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Connection mode dhcp and....?

Try it in Opera 12.17, adnansa88.

http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.17

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody managed to get Horizon TV android app working with a bridged 3925? I keep getting 'Out of UPC wireless' message. I am bridged to a TP-Link router.

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody managed to get Horizon TV android app working with a bridged 3925? I keep getting 'Out of UPC wireless' message. I am bridged to a TP-Link router.
    Sure. It has worked for me from day one while using my WNDR3700v1's wifi.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Sure. It has worked for me from day one while using my WNDR3700v1's wifi.

Thanks for that. Can't figure why it wont work for me. I was wondering if it needs a UPC type ssid or a specific mac address or something else? Head scratcher...

degsie wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Can't figure why it wont work for me. I was wondering if it needs a UPC type ssid or a specific mac address or something else? Head scratcher...
    It shouldn't do. My SSID is way off what UPC use as standard. Have you tried enabling your 3925's WiFi while in bridge mode for a test? You can turn on the wireless without reverting to router mode.

• Advertisement

DECEiFER wrote: »
    It shouldn't do. My SSID is way off what UPC use as standard. Have you tried enabling your 3925's WiFi while in bridge mode for a test? You can turn on the wireless without reverting to router mode.

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. I should have mentioned that the TV Guide works fine, it's just when I try to watch Live TV I get the error message about UPC WiFi.

Advertisement