Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

DECEiFER wrote: »
    No but they have very long leases on IP addresses and are more fixed than xDSL IP pools run by Eircom, etc. This seems to be the thing with cable ISPs.
    This doesn't seem to be the case with me anymore. At one stage, I had the same IP address for months but I now get a new IP every time I reboot my router. It started happening around the time that UPC began issuing IP addresses in the 80.111 range to residential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Karsini wrote: »
    This doesn't seem to be the case with me anymore. At one stage, I had the same IP address for months but I now get a new IP every time I reboot my router. It started happening around the time that UPC began issuing IP addresses in the 80.111 range to residential customers.
    I'm on a different range but my IP always remains in the same range regardless of how much or many times I clone my WNDR3700's MAC address.

I used to be on an 89.x.x.x range when I lived in the city center for a short while when I initially moved to Limerick in 2012. Now I'm out in the suburbs and I'm on 109.255.x.x. I can reboot as many times as I like and I'll keep my IP address. It could be that the new range you've been issued has a reduced lease period.

Nothing is guaranteed, however. This is why I use a DDNS service and also use some of my domains CNAME'd to that DDNS which is managed by my router, which I've loaded up recently with Gargoyle. I do like that firmware and my Wi-Fi has definitely seen an improvement since doing so (going on Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android's real-time signal strength graph on my Nexus 4). Just putting it out there for anyone with a compatible device, Gargoyle is certainly worth a try. They don't support WPS but really, who needs WPS?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Which version of 3700 do You have?

loki7777 wrote: »
    Which version of 3700 do You have?
    The old v1. I got it for a steal on eBay in early 2012, about €80. They were going for about €120 elsewhere or at least the v2 was which was available in the likes of PC World at the time. I've never had the opportunity of trying the later revisions so I cannot compare them. I did look on SmallNetBuilder and the Wi-Fi results are comparable to a degree.

I have v4 and wasn't happy at all from DD-wrt and think gargoyle want be working on it.

• Advertisement

loki7777 wrote: »
    I have v4 and wasn't happy at all from DD-wrt and think gargoyle want be working on it.
    I think they only do the v1 and v2. How was the stock firmware compared to DD-WRT?

EDIT:
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700
    The Netgear WNDR3700 has four different versions to date. Versions 1 and 2 are fully supported by OpenWrt and are based on the Atheros ar71xx platform. Version 3 of the hardware is based on the Broadcom brcm47xx platform and is as of yet not supported. The fourth version is a work in progress.

It's true, OpenWRT does not support Broadcom but since the v4 has an Atheros, it'll only be a matter of time. Gargoyle is OpenWRT at the base so it'll be supported when OpenWRT adds it.

Stock is fine but limited like hell - mostly services blocking - pin in a..s.
    Stable but not the latest FW - this was really problematic for me and others.
    DD-wrt the main problem was i couldn't use my wireless epson(problem with epson FW, fixed with gargoyle(few small changes) but no way to fix it with dd-wrt).
    So for now on i will have to use stock unless someone will port gargoyle to it.
    It is the one from argos offer so worth the money:)

I just checked and there is new FW but i will pass with it again:)

Gargoyle won't need to be ported. Once OpenWRT adds v4 support, it'll be available on the Gargoyle website. Support is pending so keep checking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 djuran89

Hi, I want to swich my cisco EPC3925 to bridge mode. I'm using cable internet and when i copy Your html code i get something like this, and i dont know how to apply the changes.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/69s3yijrejqke1i/Screenshot%202014-02-12%2019.13.50.png

My router administration page look like this
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sajssabq4113yh/Screenshot%202014-02-12%2020.08.43.png

I'm on a different range but my IP always remains in the same range regardless of how much or many times I clone my WNDR3700's MAC address.

I used to be on an 89.x.x.x range when I lived in the city center for a short while when I initially moved to Limerick in 2012. Now I'm out in the suburbs and I'm on 109.255.x.x. I can reboot as many times as I like and I'll keep my IP address. It could be that the new range you've been issued has a reduced lease period.

Nothing is guaranteed, however. This is why I use a DDNS service and also use some of my domains CNAME'd to that DDNS which is managed by my router, which I've loaded up recently with Gargoyle. I do like that firmware and my Wi-Fi has definitely seen an improvement since doing so (going on Wi-Fi Analyzer for Android's real-time signal strength graph on my Nexus 4). Just putting it out there for anyone with a compatible device, Gargoyle is certainly worth a try. They don't support WPS but really, who needs WPS?!
    Yeah, mine mostly issues IPs in the 80.111 range but will sometimes dish out a 188.141 IP (which I prefer because it's detected by websites as UPC Ireland rather than UPC Austria).

WPS is a major security risk so I'd see it as a feature that it's not included! :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i have the 3700 and the wifi seems more stable and stronger. i dont notice a "better" service though. streaming movies to ps3 is still impossible.

Yes, wifi is much stronger and stable.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i have the 3700 and the wifi seems more stable and stronger. i dont notice a "better" service though. streaming movies to ps3 is still impossible.
    I don't know about the PS3, I own a real console. :P

Could it be ports? Assign the PS3 a static IP and maybe forward some ports (Google them?).

The "better" service becomes more apparent when you want to use a lot of devices doing a lot of work. The 3700 won't choke as easily as the 3925. Over Ethernet the 3925 is capable of the max speeds, don't get me wrong. It just isn't a workhorse when you put pressure on it.

Yeah, mine mostly issues IPs in the 80.111 range but will sometimes dish out a 188.141 IP (which I prefer because it's detected by websites as UPC Ireland rather than UPC Austria).
    Get onto UPC about that and ask them to sort out the admin details of those IP addresses. I remember a buddy of mine early last year was in Limerick City and he got a 80.x.x.x (might have been 80.111.x.x) and it was UPC Austria. I told him how to bridge the 3925 to get a new IP for the time-being but he also contacted UPC about it. I think it was a one-time incident that he was assigned it as in the area of the city he was in the assignment is normally 89.x.x.x.
    WPS is a major security risk so I'd see it as a feature that it's not included! :D :pac:
    It is a security risk and that's exactly what Gargoyle's developer said, so it's also a feature. It's also one less LED lit up on the 3700, for those with energy conservation in mind. :)
    djuran89 wrote: »
    Hi, I want to swich my cisco EPC3925 to bridge mode. I'm using cable internet and when i copy Your html code i get something like this, and i dont know how to apply the changes.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/69s3yijrejqke1i/Screenshot%202014-02-12%2019.13.50.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sajssabq4113yh/Screenshot%202014-02-12%2020.08.43.png
    You need to use Opera 12.xx. Get it here:
    http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.16

Go to the management page, press Ctrl+U and then select all (Ctrl+A) the existing HTML code to be replaced by the code in my pastebin. Then press Apply.

Are you in Ireland? We've established that doing the HTTP request (submitting) with the injection will bring up a 403 forbidden error on the 3925 devices from UPC Romania and UPC The Netherlands. But it does work on UPC Ireland ones. If you're not in Ireland and if the injection 403 errors for you, call UPC and ask them to bridge it remotely. They can do that if they're willing and sometimes they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 djuran89

@DECEiFER, tnx but i get forbidden error. im from serbia, I do not understand what mean UPC.
    what i can a do? Call ISP, they can allow me bridge mode ?
    I want connect other router that only can be done when bridge mode is on, is that true ?

@DECEiFER, tnx but i get forbidden error. im from serbia, I do not understand what mean UPC.
    what i can a do? Call ISP, they can allow me bridge mode ?
    I want connect other router that only can be done when bridge mode is on, is that true ?
    Fair enough, I take it that you're not with UPC then? Yeah, ask your ISP if they can remotely put it in bridge mode. Plead your case, tell them you need it badly, etc. If they refuse there is a way you can use another router in what's known as "faux" bridge mode.

Let me explain that a bit further. You can hook up your other router to the 3925 and give it a static IP in the 3925's web interface. You then put that static IP into the 3925's DMZ.

In your other router you then configure the network settings (like the TCP/IP network settings in your computer's OS) to the 3925.

Let me give you some real-world examples:

Assuming your 3925 is accessed through 192.168.0.1 (as per your Dropbox screenshots) - disable DHCP inside the 3925 and enable the 3925's DMZ. Put in an IP like 192.168.0.10 (anything from 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255 will do). This IP will be assigned to the other router and it means there won't be any ports blocking it.

In the other router, do the following in the network/connection settings:
    IP: 192.168.0.10 (or whatever IP you used in the 3925's DMZ)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (the 3925's IP address, as that is now going to be the other router's default gateway)

Those settings will ensure that the other router finds the 3925 and connects to it successfully.

Then you'll want to change the other router's IP to a different subnet (which is different from the above settings). So if the 3925 is on 192.168.0.x, put the other router on 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x or whatever, so long as it's not on the same subnet as the 3925. This will make sure that there is no address conflict between the 3925 and other router. Then you're good to go.

It's not as good as true bridge mode but it's better than using the 3925 on its own. You'd turn off the 3925's Wi-Fi and all your computers and devices, wired and wireless, would go through your other router instead. It's also a good idea to turn off the firewall and UPnP, basically anything that's no longer needed in the 3925 to decrease the load on it, since it's a piece of crap. Your other router will handle all this in addition to Wi-Fi instead.

If your ISP won't bridge it remotely for you and you do need to use "faux" bridge mode, another Boards.ie member named ED E has written a guide on how to get it going. It could be easier to follow than my brief explanation:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79448674

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaCXyLo

hey deceifer,
    i want to chat with you @ skype (mister_dtr).
    have some interesting stuff 4 ya.

kind regards
    macxylo

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Decius

I get the same thing on my DPC3925 (Mexico), thanks to someone here posing the full HTML, I was able to add the missing portion to my page.

Step 1: Have Firefox + Firebug and go to the Maintenance page.
    Step 2: Inspect the page with firebug, edit the HTML and find:
    <!-- 2 -->
    <!-- connection mode -->

(search for — connection mode --)
    Now, above <!-- connection mode -->, insert the following code:
    <div id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tr>
        <td nowrap width="95">
            <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
                dw(vbcontype2);
            </script>Working Mode
        </td>
        <td>
            <select name="working_mode" size="1" id="working_mode" onchange="selectWorkingMode()"> 
                <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap4);</script>Router</option>
                <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap5);</script>Bridged</option>
            </select>
        </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

You will now have the option to select bridge mode, if you have not set a password on the device, you must do so now in order to hit submit. You modem will reboot and be in bridge mode. To get back to router mode, hold the reset button for ten seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Finally upgraded to 120Mb from 30Mb. I got sent a technicolor, but asked for a tech to be sent out. He had a 3925 in the van and i got it swapped over.

Luckily i got one which has the bridge option already built in.

1EUmy9T.jpg

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Finally upgraded to 120Mb from 30Mb. I got sent a technicolor, but asked for a tech to be sent out. He had a 3925 in the van and i got it swapped over.

Luckily i got one which has the bridge option already built in.

1EUmy9T.jpg
    They all do these days really as they're now issued to business customers so UPC will still have them in stock around the country for sure. Taking away bridge mode from business customers is a big no-no and I'm not sure if even UPC would cross that line!

• Advertisement

Decius wrote: »
    I get the same thing on my DPC3925 (Mexico), thanks to someone here posing the full HTML, I was able to add the missing portion to my page.

Step 1: Have Firefox + Firebug and go to the Maintenance page.
    Step 2: Inspect the page with firebug, edit the HTML and find:
    <!-- 2 -->
    <!-- connection mode -->

(search for — connection mode --)
    Now, above <!-- connection mode -->, insert the following code:
    <div id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tr>
        <td nowrap width="95">
            <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
                dw(vbcontype2);
            </script>Working Mode
        </td>
        <td>
            <select name="working_mode" size="1" id="working_mode" onchange="selectWorkingMode()"> 
                <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap4);</script>Router</option>
                <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap5);</script>Bridged</option>
            </select>
        </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

You will now have the option to select bridge mode, if you have not set a password on the device, you must do so now in order to hit submit. You modem will reboot and be in bridge mode. To get back to router mode, hold the reset button for ten seconds.
    Glad that worked out for you. The DPC3925, eh? The difference of one letter but at least there's nothing important in the HTML that's different to the EPC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

They all do these days really as they're now issued to business customers so UPC will still have them in stock around the country for sure. Taking away bridge mode from business customers is a big no-no and I'm not sure if even UPC would cross that line!

I tried every which way to get a 3925 sent out originally. Luckily the tech had one in the van, but it is a shame that it is pot luck for people if they so wish to bridge, when in other UPC territories the option is allowed.

I am speaking to the converted here though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I tried every which way to get a 3925 sent out originally. Luckily the tech had one in the van, but it is a shame that it is pot luck for people if they so wish to bridge, when in other UPC territories the option is allowed.

I am speaking to the converted here though :)

Lucky sod:cool:
    Over the last few months, had 2 techs at my house with full vans and neither of them had a 3925.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rafaelarraes

I would like to know if someone have a recorded video, teaching how to enable bridged mode, because I have tried everything and nothing works for me. Thanks

I would like to know if someone have a recorded video, teaching how to enable bridged mode, because I have tried everything and nothing works for me. Thanks
    Are you in Ireland? If you're not and you're getting a 403 forbidden error then your EPC3925 is likely on lockdown so the HTML injection won't work. Then you'll have to either ask them to bridge it for you over the phone or faux bridge it yourself by putting your other router in the EPC's DMZ.

Are you in Ireland? If you're not and you're getting a 403 forbidden error then your EPC3925 is likely on lockdown so the HTML injection won't work. Then you'll have to either ask them to bridge it for you over the phone or faux bridge it yourself by putting your other router in the EPC's DMZ.

I already talked my internet provider but they say that they can't do anything for me, this was my last option to activate bridged mode. Tomorrow I will ask for replacement of this modem. I'm from brazil, thanks for helping me.

I already talked my internet provider but they say that they can't do anything for me, this was my last option to activate bridged mode. Tomorrow I will ask for replacement of this modem. I'm from brazil, thanks for helping me.
    How far did you get when you tried it? Did you get a 403 forbidden error like I said above?

How far did you get when you tried it? Did you get a 403 forbidden error like I said above?

It says wrong ip. Then I can do nothing

It says wrong ip. Then I can do nothing
    I haven't seen that happen before. Did you manage to inject the HTML okay and select "Bridged Only" from the "Working Mode" drop-down menu? Since the HTML code I provided is in English, those are exact quotes.

Are you even able to get into the EPC (or DPC as it might be in your country) via its local IP address? I'm just not clear on what the problem is, so if you'd like, you can explain it to me and we'll see what can be done, if anything.

• Advertisement

In my modem doesn't appear bridge only, appear just bridged. I know i have done something incorrect. But I don't know the exactly way to insert HTML. I'm using firefox with firebug. That was the reason for me asked for a video teaching how to insert HTML.

Advertisement