Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

In my modem doesn't appear bridge only, appear just bridged. I know i have done something incorrect. But I don't know the exactly way to insert HTML. I'm using firefox with firebug
    Ah yes, I recall those words are filled in with a function call to a language JS file.

So you select "Bridged" and what does it say when you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rafaelarraes

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland? If you're not and you're getting a 403 forbidden error then your EPC3925 is likely on lockdown so the HTML injection won't work. Then you'll have to either ask them to bridge it for you over the phone or faux bridge it yourself by putting your other router in the EPC's DMZ.
    Ah yes, I recall those words are filled in with a function call to a language JS file.

So you select "Bridged" and what does it say when you apply?

It says wrong IP. But I didn't insert the HTML this time, I just made the changes in HTML, one by one.

It says wrong IP. But I didn't insert the HTML this time, I just made the changes in HTML, one by one.
    Yeah that would have been my next suggestion in case the form's action URL was different. I really don't know. :(

Hopefully you can get a different device that doesn't have bridging restricted by your ISP.

Yeah that would have been my next suggestion in case the form's action URL was different. I really don't know. :(

Hopefully you can get a different device that doesn't have bridging restricted by your ISP.
    I think is not my ISP, because my older my was configured in bridged. Can you explain the exactly way to insert the HTML, because I think I'm doing something wrong in this part, because I don't know how to insert the entire code.

I think is not my ISP, because my older my was configured in bridged. Can you explain the exactly way to insert the HTML, because I think I'm doing something wrong in this part, because I don't know how to insert the entire code.
    I use Opera, specifically 12.16 before Opera changed rendering engines to Blink (like Chrome). It's so easy in Opera 12.16. You do it in the source code, just select and replace everything that's there.

Alternatively, just paste this in anywhere within the <form> tags using Opera 12.16 also.
    <!-- working mode -->
    <div id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tr>
        <td nowrap width="95">
            <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
                dw(vbcontype2);
            </script>
        </td>
        <td>
            <select name="working_mode" size="1" id="working_mode" onchange="selectWorkingMode()"> 
                <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap4);</script>
                <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap5);</script>
            </select>
        </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

• Advertisement

I use Opera, specifically 12.16 before Opera changed rendering engines to Blink (like Chrome). It's so easy in Opera 12.16. You do it in the source code, just select and replace everything that's there.

Alternatively, just paste this in anywhere within the <form> tags using Opera 12.16 also.
    <!-- working mode -->
    <div id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tr>
        <td nowrap width="95">
            <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
                dw(vbcontype2);
            </script>
        </td>
        <td>
            <select name="working_mode" size="1" id="working_mode" onchange="selectWorkingMode()"> 
                <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap4);</script>
                <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap5);</script>
            </select>
        </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

I tried again and appear a white screen written working mode. But just this on the screen.

I tried again and appear a white screen written working mode. But just this on the screen.
    No no, don't use my snippet above to replace all the code. Use Opera 12.16 to put it in after the opening <form ....> tag but leave the rest of the code alone.

No no, don't use my snippet above to replace all the code. Use Opera 12.16 to put it in after the opening <form ....> tag but leave the rest of the code alone.
    I really appreciate your help, but I give up. Thank you a lot. Have a good evening.

I really appreciate your help, but I give up. Thank you a lot. Have a good evening.
    Alright, no bother. If you want to revisit it, post back any time. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thomasvh1

Hi guys, I need some help.

I'm not very familiar with html at all. I just recently went to UPC Business for better service and because it was a little bit cheaper. But when I got my new router I noticed that it didn't have the bridge mode function anymore. Apparently this is standard with business but I wanted to use bridge mode nevertheless by changing the code. However when I paste the code the html page(Opera, Chrome, Firefox), all my text disappears and I only see some buttons and a background. I don't know if this is because the original code from this thread doesn't work anymore or because I paste it wrong. If anybody knows what the problem is, please let me know.

Cheers,

Thomas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

This is a very long thread so forgive me for the silly question. I'm going to bridge my cisco3925 with a TL-WR841N over the next few days. Is the procedure still the same as in the first post of this thread or did any upc updates change things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sephirotic

Ok, registered on this forum specifically to report that following this procedure BRICKED MY CISCO EPC3925!

THINK TWICE BEFORE TRYING THIS IF YOU DON´T LIVE IN AUSTRALIA! (I'm from Brazil and my ISP provider is Alphaville's Brasil MEGATELECON)

I have some decent knowledge on networking, although not as a professional, just as a power-user, and had bridged an hibrid-modem/router before from a different ISP provider (NET-Virtual) and a different model and brand at my mother's house without any problem whatsoever.

But when I received this Cisco modem at my house I got baffled when I couldn´t find any Bridge option while fiddling in the configuration pages. So I recurred to google and ended up at this forum. After some headache with the HTML injection (firebug was giving me a broken html page so I had to download an old version of Opera since the latest one doesn't have active source code editing) I finally managed to activate the hidden bridge mode on the Administration menu.

A screen showed that the modem was rebooting and then internet wasn't working anymore. Tried through the modem and directly through ethernet port 1 of the cisco Modem and nothing, i wasn´t getting an IP from my ISP even after rebooting several times.
    Also I noticed something else was wrong when I tried and couldn't access the GUI through the router default Ip adress: 192.168.0.1 anymore (neither 192.168.100.1) regardless if i connected my pc directly on port 1 and set ip and submask manually. I then decided to hard reset the modem with a paper clip sure it would resolve the issue, then I got really worried: Hard resetting didn´t work. Even checked the CISCO's manual if any special procedure were to be made for the reset button to work but I was doing it correctly so, no.. MY EPC3925 IS OFFICIALLY BRICKED!

Now I'll have to wait till monday to call my ISP provider and ask for a replacement modem. I'll also take the opportunity to complain about their carelessness when providing a modem without bridging capability since double NATing sucks REAL BAD.

Just wanted to share my bad experience. Maybe my Brazillian Cisco has a further modified firmware so if you don´t live in Australia think twice before trying this.
    I'm not blaming the Op or anyone else, tough I'm not so sure I agree with the "100% safe" part. Just wanted to share my Bad experience.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

This is Ireland - far far away from Australia,
    And as always no one was forcing You to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sephirotic

loki7777 wrote: »
    This is Ireland - far far away from Australia,
    And as always no one was forcing You to do that.

Did I accused or criticized the Op or Anyone else for that matter? No I didn´t and I am 100% aware that the risk and choice was completely mine, I didn´t say anything else. I sorry if i wasn´t able to convey a proper tone on my message, I just wanted to share my experience and give a piece of warning to anyone willing to do this. I'm happy it worked out for you. however, OP said "it's 100%" safe. I'm not so sure about that, but then again, I am not blaming anyone and I know it was my risk.

Peace.

BTW, Op mentioned a forum from Australia, that is why i made the confusion, sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

This guide is only meant for upc ireland customers. Thats where you made your first mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys,
    I have a epc 2425, that I want to run in Bridge mode but looks like it's not possible. If I bought a 3925 from adverts, should I be able to bridge with no phone issues etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Hi guys,
    I have a epc 2425, that I want to run in Bridge mode but looks like it's not possible. If I bought a 3925 from adverts, should I be able to bridge with no phone issues etc?

From what i understand mick, you should be able to bridge it with your phone.

My 3925 had the option to bridge built in, and as others have stated i can use my phone with no issues at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

Hi guys,
    Unfortunately UPC will not recognize the Mac address of any modem not supplied by them. I.e the only answer is to ask them to upgrade you.

If the modem is a upc one will it not work though?

Hi guys,

You can bridge the EPC2425 but you lose the phone service if you do. I can't remember the procedure but I think there's a hidden page to enable it.

• Advertisement

If the modem is a upc one will it not work though?

No, quite possibly they'll ask you how you got hold of it as it's UPC's property and therefore shouldn't be resold. I heard of one person being asked to return it.

Karsini wrote: »
    No, quite possibly they'll ask you how you got hold of it as it's UPC's property and therefore shouldn't be resold. I heard of one person being asked to return it.

So there's no chance I can just plug it in and it will work?

So there's no chance I can just plug it in and it will work?

Nope. The modem will receive the cm_unknown.bin config file and you'll have no internet access at all until you put your EPC2425 back in.

Nope. The modem will receive the cm_unknown.bin config file and you'll have no internet access at all until you put your EPC2425 back in.
    If I phone Upc will they upgrade me to a modem that I can Bridge?

If I phone Upc will they upgrade me to a modem that I can Bridge?

Can't say for sure. Their official line is that they don't support bridging.

However, as you're on a 2425, I assume you're on the 30 meg package? You could upgrade to Fibre 50 Chat and they'd issue you a Technicolor modem. While you can't officially bridge it, there's a workaround that currently works fine. Just be aware you'd be tied into another contract if you choose this option.

Can't say for sure. Their official line is that they don't support bridging.

However, as you're on a 2425, I assume you're on the 30 meg package? You could upgrade to Fibre 50 Chat and they'd issue you a Technicolor modem. While you can't officially bridge it, there's a workaround that currently works fine. Just be aware you'd be tied into another contract if you choose this option.

We are in lusk and I don't think the cabling supports above 25 mb. Best I ever get on a speed test is about 15 mb

We are in lusk and I don't think the cabling supports above 25 mb. Best I ever get on a speed test is about 15 mb

I might be able to work without bridging. I bought a secondhand netgear. WNDR4000 wanted to be able to use it to get wireless n speeds on all devices that support it and g on those that don't. I've flashed ddwrt on the netgear. I know I could configure it as a wireless Bridge but is there anything I can do to get it wired to my exiting cisco and connect everything wirlessly to the netgear?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

edit

Hi guys
    Have to give big shout out to upc. Phoned yesterday expecting a blank refusal. I explained I had the older router and had a mix of wireless g and n devices in the house and wanted to buy a third party router with dual band support. Guy put me on hold, came back to me said they would send me out a ep3925 today. Was a bit sceptical but got a call at 3 from driver to say he was on way. Swapped over the router and brought old one with him. For craic I did speed test when I got home and got 29mb. Only ever achieved max of about 18 before.

As it happens I also purchased an Asus rt66 router today which I should have by weekend. To setup I just need to switch the Cisco to bridge mode? Plug in the Asus into lan port on the cisco and the rest should work automatically?

Does enabling Bridge mode on the Cisco automatically disable wifi on the router?

My pc is in a different room so can't connect via cable. Once in Bridge mode I should still be able to connect to the Cisco via the Asus?

Cheers Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Does enabling Bridge mode on the Cisco automatically disable wifi on the router?

No, read first post - You will have to turn off few things.

Advertisement