Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School patronage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    I'm curious how you were responsible.

While she was still married to brother of mine he bought a grave in Kinsale...I jokingly commented that as it was a 'catlick grave in a catlick country' her German Lutheran corpse would have to go elsewhere...she only went and converted :eek:. Germans can be soo literal...!

They are now, ironically, divorced and she has attempted to renounce her Catholicism as she was able to do with her Lutheranism...oopsie. She didn't read the very very small print...how very unGerman of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I can't remember the last time I heard of someone converting their religious denomination when they got married. A friend got married last year to a girl or a different religion and they just had a representative from both churches at the ceremony. Now I guess one was Catholic and the other Protestant, so maybe that isn't AS different as it once was for people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I can't remember the last time I heard of someone converting their religious denomination when they got married. A friend got married last year to a girl or a different religion and they just had a representative from both churches at the ceremony. Now I guess one was Catholic and the other Protestant, so maybe that isn't AS different as it once was for people.

If memory serves in order for a non-Catholic to get permission from the bishop to marry a Catholic they used to have to agree that any children would be raised as Catholic. I think this no longer applies but it was an outrageous practice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Being an atheist as a teenager in an Irish school:

http://www.trollingwithlogic.com/the-dreaded-yearly-start-of-school-mass/
    I have been having a very easy time about being atheist, from my school recently. A fresh start with a science teacher as my class tutor has made it all a lot more manageable.

BUT last week on the morning of the school mass, I was called out of class by the principle. Who informed me that all the teachers and staff of the school were required to attend the school mass, so i would have to sit in her car studying for the duration of the mass.

I had made arrangements to leave the school and go to my Islamic friends house, but i was told i wasn’t allowed to leave the school unless my parents came and collected me! They weren’t able to do so and had already given me permission to leave the school!

Anyway another student in the school fainted so a teacher had to stay with her, so i told the principle i was staying as well.

All i can say is that i am counting down the days till i can leave that place forever! I have given up hope on the system being made fairer in my time left in school, but it has to change eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

lazygal wrote: »
    If you're baptised catholic the church sees you as a catholic forever, hence the fact you can't do count me out any more.

They can see me as a flying monkey if they want, it doesn't make me one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They can see me as a flying monkey if they want, it doesn't make me one.

Why the reference to conversion? To what faith were you referring?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Faith-based education is a force for good" says archbishop. Quelle surprise. Usual fallacies invoked.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ninja900 wrote: »
    "Faith-based education is a force for good" says archbishop. Quelle surprise. Usual fallacies invoked.

he goes very quickly from not having a religious convictions to having other convictions to having none

and as ever while having relatively privileged position they paint themselves as under threat of being forcefully removed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah, cause an Archbishop is going to give a unbiased view of our education system.

Curious if he'd be all for it if 98% of our school systems in Ireland were Muslim, would he be in so much agreement then?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yeah, cause an Archbishop is going to give a unbiased view of our education system.

Curious if he'd be all for it if 98% of our school systems in Ireland were Muslim, would he be in so much agreement then?

another equally useless imagined bit of oppression ^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This guy is a C of I archbishop, so he is not concerned with catholic schools, except in the sense that his C of I schools have traditionally picked up a lot of pupils who were deliberately avoiding RC schools for one reason or another.

However the maths still works in his favour; the C of I gets paid by the State to educate far more children than are actually in the CofI. As he said himself;
    Most schools under Church of Ireland patronage have an enrolment representative of a wider community.
    The big threat to him is the ET schools which provide the kind of alternative that many of those people were really looking for, but just wasn't available in the past, and still isn't in most places outside Dublin.

Hence this diatribe against schools which don't base their education around religious "faith".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/catholic-archbishop-of-dublin-defends-protestant-schools-1.1560841
    Catholic Archbishop of Dublin defends Protestant schools

In a country like Ireland “there is a public interest in supporting and defending independent Protestant schools in order to allow the particular role of the Protestant communities in Irish society to flourish,” the Catholic Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has said. “These separate schools have in fact lead to an enrichment of Irish society through allowing the specific contribution to society of the Protestant communities to emerge,” he said.

Speaking last night at a Contending Modernities conference in the University of Notre Dame’s London centre, he noted Catholic dominance of the educational system in Ireland was “an unintended fruit of history”. He said “the national school system introduced in Ireland in the mid-19th century aimed at having a system of State schools for all, but with separate religious education within the school. Some Protestant authorities rightly saw that this system might effectively leave them as a permanent minority in every school. They withdrew from the system, leaving the majority of schools demographically Catholic and with the passage of time they became institutionally Catholic.”

Isn't that totally revisionist? I believe the RCC played their part in wrecking the intended secular, non-sectarian nature of the national school system.
    Now there was, he said, “a growing pluralism in patronage of schools in Ireland but the vast majority of the population attends a school that is Catholic.” He believed “denominational education has a place within a pluralist society but for that to work it requires that those in leadership in both religious education and education of other inspiration have to change attitudes and be mutually respectful and open to dialogue”.

96% isn't 'a place' it's utter domination, there is a growing plurality but it's still absolutely tiny.

Meanwhile, part 2 of last week's ode to the Church of Ireland:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/preparing-for-a-future-with-a-mixed-faith-education-1.1560448
    Irenaeus of Lyons once said that the glory of God is a human being fully alive.

Oh, FFS :mad:

Oh and inclusivity means accommodating more than one type of christianity in a school, apparently.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Church of Ireland's Bishop of Cork

said https://twitter.com/b2dac/status/370452255603830784
    Bandon GS and Midleton where I'm involved are effectively fee-charging community schools, not elitist.

look at the facilities these schools have
    http://www.midletoncollege.ie/secondary-school-cork/facilities

http://www.bandongrammar.ie/facilities.htm

the bishop is delusional

My own view is that a proverbial ‘clear blue water’ between faith schools and non-faith schools is desirable.

I can agree with him there.
    I presume he still wants State funding for his faith schools though. That would be another matter, up for debate.

can anyone follow what this guy was on about, it seems even his fellow bishop didn't know what he was on about http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/c-of-i-row-over-sectarianism-comments-by-dublin-archbishop-1.1566097 he was talking about sectarianism but it seemed to involve other protestents and use of TCD as a teacher trainer rather then St Patricks, (a catholic college)

and

Use of ‘Polyester Protestant’ term criticised by archbishop
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/use-of-polyester-protestant-term-criticised-by-archbishop-1.1568728

ps nativity plays are safe http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/nativity-plays-not-at-risk-says-department-of-education-spokeswoman-1.1567550

The term ‘Polyester Protestant’ is offensive.
    Polyester is an excellent material for base layers and the like.

can anyone follow what this guy was on about, it seems even his fellow bishop didn't know what he was on about http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/c-of-i-row-over-sectarianism-comments-by-dublin-archbishop-1.1566097
    Its a row about whether people who think protestants and catholics shouldn't mix are sectarian, or whether they are just trying to preserve their own ethos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

reminds me of the term 'rino' - republican in name only, coined by tea party types to label republicans who voted for the fiscal deal.

i was thinking it'd be good to have a similar label to pin on catholics who only want to go to mass when they get married. would just need to think of a good word for the H in chinos, maybe.

This Jackson guy comes from Northern Ireland where the C of I is confident and dominant. He does not realise that when members of a minority religion mix with a majority religion which is heavily involved in the running of community structures such as schools, community centres and sports facilities, the minority religion is liable to become extinct.

A minority religion needs to employ one or more of these strategies to survive;

1. Be pro-active and aggressive in recruitment (eg scientology, jehovahs witnesses, mormons)

2. Segregate the minority population socially by controlling schools and having certain youth organisations in which they hold a a local majority.
    (C of I achieve this by controlling a segregated education system and with local over-representation in certain youth clubs, scout troops and sports clubs. Badminton in church halls. Hockey and rugby as opposed to GAA)

3. Immigration. Once associated with protestants (the plantations etc.) nowadays it is associated with muslims.

There used to be a significant Jewish population in the bigger cities in Ireland as a result of 3. above, but they failed to employ either ofstrategies 1. or 2. and no longer exist as a viable population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to the forum list, this thread has 325 posts - but the latest is 320? does the forum list count posts which may have been deleted?

• Advertisement

I see 320 replies shown on the forum list.

this is what i see:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm seeing 328 now in the forum list

similar in the gay marriage thread - the forum list claims 4,065 posts, but there are currently 3,851 posts in the thread.

An interesting quote in that article;
    Secular agenda
    She said there was a risk that secularising schools would have a “detrimental effect on parish communities” and that “in pursuing his own secular agenda the Minister is at risk of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and dismantling a system that has placed the school at the core of the parish community.” Malahide rector Rev Norman Gamble described spending cuts in education as “part of a campaign to remove the churches from the education system and push us to the fringe.
    “Yet 80 per cent to 90 per cent of people in our own country identify with a Christian denomination of some sort”.
    Religiosity of the population is much higher in the USA than in Europe, even Ireland, yet they maintain a strict separation between church and state. Publicly funded schools are secular. Minority religions thrive.
    Jews have thrived there, but have been almost wiped out in Ireland. A jewish child can attend school in the USA without constantly receiving the subliminal message that he is in the "wrong" religion.

If minority religions want to survive in a modern democracy, Secularism is the answer, not Sectarianism.

USA and France are secular Republics where minority religions can go about their business in peace. Iran is an Islamic Republic, where it is difficult for a minority religion to survive.
    Ireland would appear to be a Multi-denominational Republic. If your religion reaches a certain (unspecified) critical mass or status, you receive state support.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

similar in the gay marriage thread - the forum list claims 4,065 posts, but there are currently 3,851 posts in the thread.

I think the forum list is counting posts that were deleted while the thread itself isn't.

according to the forum list, this thread has 325 posts - but the latest is 320? does the forum list count posts which may have been deleted?
    Yes - the count on the front page includes deleted posts (of which there are currently five), but the post number within the thread (the bit after the '#') doesn't.

can anyone follow what this guy was on about [...]
    I read a few news items about the spat, but while I'm much better informed about it, I can't honestly say I'm any the wiser.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1023/482131-esri-school/
    Religious-run secondary schools in Ireland are more likely to receive voluntary contributions from parents and the level of payment they receive is also likely to be higher than in the case of non-religious schools.

• Advertisement

to bring it back to school patronage http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/polyester-protestants-and-sectarianism-1.1571673?page=3
    Sir, – Congratulations to Archbishop Michael Jackson in highlighting sectarianism among some Protestants.
    However, it seems obvious to me that this is an inevitable consequence of our denominational school system. If in two houses, the children of one go to a Catholic school, and their next door neighbours go to a Protestant one (with parents usually having to choose one or the other, whether they believe in the differences or not), then this emphasises a purposely engineered divide. It is only a small step for some families to attain the mindset that “we” are different (and better) than “them”.
    The much-trumpeted Catholic or Protestant “ethos” has clearly not served us well. While the Catholic church has suffered very bad publicity recently, I expect this is because the great majority of people actually or nominally adhere to it ­ and have little choice.
    My experience is that people who have opted out of a denominational affiliation retain at least as good an “ethos” as those remaining. Of course parents should be able to arrange religious instruction for their children if they so wish. But this should be provided outside school hours, and there should be no denominational schools.
    I was one of a small group which supported the redoubtable Dr Michael Johnston, who was the man responsible, under the then title “Dalkey School Project’, for the setting up of what has become “Educate Together”. Progress has been impressive since, but it is a slow business.
    If both Dublin archbishops could stop championing “their” schools, and allow a faster development of “schools for all”, this would surely discourage the sectarianism which Archbishop Jackson has highlighted, and which I also have observed. ­– Yours, etc,
    CHARLES MOLLAN,
    Newtownpark Avenue,
    Blackrock, Co Dublin.

Advertisement