Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Muslim world relax?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

biko wrote: »

While Hamas and Hezbollah are religous organisations, they are popular primarily for local reasons, and nothing to do with global jihadism. Secondly, Hezbollah are shia.

These were the incredible scenes in Benghazi as tens of thousands of ordinary citizens marched on the Islamic extremists in their compounds and drove them out with shouts, placards and sheer courage
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/22/unarmed-people-power-libya

It would appear there are "moderate" muslims after all.

It would also appear that the attack on the US compound was not actually to do with the film on youtube, but an operation designed to co-incide with the anniversary of the september 11th attacks, using the protest as cover.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-plans-new-inquiry-on-libya-attack/2012/09/20/4970048c-035b-11e2-9b24-ff730c7f6312_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nodin wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/22/unarmed-people-power-libya

It would appear there are "moderate" muslims after all.

Indeed and I'm not wanting to lessen what has happened but there is a large element of people just being sick of armed militiamen bossing them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

According to the Sunday Times protests are set for Dublin....all over some amatuer video,I get worse things said to me on a regular basis and as someone said there's worse videos on youtube...Koran burning,blending,chainsawing etc...

Freiheit wrote: »
    According to the Sunday Times protests are set for Dublin....all over some amatuer video,I get worse things said to me on a regular basis and as someone said there's worse videos on youtube...Koran burning,blending,chainsawing etc...

"outrage" seems to be like a Dan Brown book, or 50 shades of grey. Once it reaches a certain size, its gains its own momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

One thing I don't guess about this whole saga. During the whole Pussy Riot saga, a whole array of celebrities, quite rightly, condemned their imprisonment. These included Stephen Fry, Madonna, Yoko Ono and Sting, to name but a few. Where are they now? You either believe in freedom of speech and expression or you do not!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

One thing I don't guess about this whole saga. During the whole Pussy Riot saga, a whole array of celebrities, quite rightly, condemned their imprisonment. These included Stephen Fry, Madonna, Yoko Ono and Sting, to name but a few. Where are they now? You either believe in freedom of speech and expression or you do not!

Yeah but here you have the added risk of an axe wielding maniac entering your home. If the FSB came after you it would spark an international incident so not likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Freiheit wrote: »
    According to the Sunday Times protests are set for Dublin....all over some amatuer video

What's worse is that the movie is so crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

"outrage" seems to be like a Dan Brown book, or 50 shades of grey. Once it reaches a certain size, its gains its own momentum.

Thats nothing.

Wait till Susan Boyle brings out her new book - 50 shaves a day

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Jernal wrote: »
    Yeah but here you have the added risk of an axe wielding maniac entering your home. If the FSB came after you it would spark an international incident so not likely to happen.

I know that, it just seems a bit sad that we seem to be letting the scum (that is, these idiotic protesters and not Islam in general) win.

• Advertisement

In other news: Egypt’s new Islamist regime has stopped the last synagogue from holding services.
    http://www.worldnewstribune.com/2012/09/16/new-regime-closes-egypts-last-synagogue/

On September 10, the head of staff at the Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue in the coastal city of Alexandria, Egypt, taped an announcement to the synagogue’s door: Eliyahu Hanavi would indeed be open for the High Holidays. But whether there would be a rabbi and required prayer quorum was still up in the air.
    I guess we'll see.

I guess we'll see.

You posted
    Egypt’s new Islamist regime has stopped the last synagogue from holding services.

However....
    The dispute began when Israeli Rabbi Abraham Dayan alleged that Egyptian Authorities had canceled services at Eliyahu Hanavi due to security concerns. Dayan had been preparing to lead a delegation of Israeli men to the synagogue to make a "minyan," or "prayer quorum," for High Holiday services, as he had annually for the last decade.

The next day, Youseff Gaon, President of the Alexandrian Jewish Community, refuted Dayan’s version of events. He said he was the one who told Dayan not to bring the delegation due out of concern for their safety. The Egyptian authorities also issued a statement saying they would not prevent anyone from entering the synagogue to pray. Both Dayan and Gaon are now refusing to comment on the matter.
    http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-holidays/rosh-hashanah/say-a-prayer-for-alexandria-synagogue.premium-1.464918

Coming back with a cherry picked quote and a "I'll guess we'll see" strikes me as intellectual dishonesty of the worst kind.

Coming back with a cherry picked quote and a "I'll guess we'll see" strikes me as intellectual dishonesty of the worst kind.
    Lol "intellectual dishonesty of the worst kind", are you angry Nodin we don't all embrace the same values as you?

My first post was a quote from the paper I linked.
    Evidently you found a synagogue that will stay open but there might not be a rabbi around, as I pointed out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I recommend the latest episode of Real Time with Bill Maher, a good portion of the show is spent discussing the Muslim issue, and Salman Rushdie is one of the guests. Very entertaining as per usual.

Lol "intellectual dishonesty of the worst kind", are you angry Nodin we don't all embrace the same values as you?.

I'm indifferent as to what values you may or may not espouse, but I am a stickler for factual accuracy. In your rush to confirm your biases, you don't seem caught up on that at all.
    My first post was a quote from the paper I linked.

....which turned out to be wrong.
    Evidently you found a synagogue that will stay open but there might not be a rabbi around, as I pointed out.

No, I discovered the more detailed version in the Israeli press which contradicts your narrative as regards the current Egyptian government. You've ignored that fact two posts in a row now, which is the intellectual dishonesty I'm talking about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Boys and girls -- a bit of chill, plz.

Some simple fact checking would show that the above is a hoax.

A very believable story: public crucifixions would be news only worthy of being reported on some right-wing Christian website, and not headline news around the globe.

• Advertisement

US maker of anti-Islam film arrested

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0928/breaking16.html
    An Egyptian-American man behind an anti-Islam film that has stoked violent protests across the Muslim world was arrested last night in California for allegedly violating his probation.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula (55), was taken into custody at an undisclosed location by US marshals and brought to court in Los Angeles still wearing his street clothes but handcuffed and shackled at the waist. Nakoula has been under investigation by probation officials looking into whether he violated the terms of his 2011 release from prison on a bank fraud conviction while making the film, though authorities have said they were not investigating the film itself.

"The court has a lack of trust in the defendant at this time," US Magistrate Judge Suzanne Segal said in refusing Nakoula's request for bail at a hearing in US District Court. His crudely made 13-minute video was filmed in California and circulated online under several titles including Innocence of Muslims. It portrays the Prophet Mohammad as a fool and a sexual deviant.

The clip sparked a torrent of anti-American unrest in Egypt, Libya and dozens of other Muslim countries over the past two weeks. The violence coincided with an attack on US diplomatic facilities in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including the US ambassador to Libya. Nakoula, under the terms of his release from jail, has been barred from accessing the internet or using aliases without the permission of a probation officer, court records show. He now faces eight probation violation accusations.

In denying his request for bail, Judge Segal called him a flight risk and said the Coptic Christian filmmaker, who most recently lived in the Los Angeles suburb of Cerritos, had "engaged in a lengthy pattern of deception," including using several aliases. Nakoula has stayed out of the public eye for much of the past two weeks, amid outrage over the film.

Last week, Pakistani railways minister Ghulam Ahmad Bilour offered $100,000 to anyone who kills the maker of the video. The Pakistani prime minister's office later distanced itself from that statement.

A lawyer for Nakoula expressed concern in court for his client's safety and asked that the hearing be closed to the media. Reporters were not allowed into the hearing but watched from a specially arranged viewing room a block away, and the judge ordered that a camera filming the proceedings for closed-circuit viewing not show Nakoula's face.

Defence attorney Steve Seiden, in asking for Nakoula's release on $10,000 bond, argued unsuccessfully that he had stayed in touch with probation officials even while in hiding. "It's a danger for him to be in custody at Metropolitan Detention Center due to the large Muslim population there," Mr Seiden said, referring to the federal jail in downtown Los Angeles where Nakoula would likely be housed.

The probation issues were the latest of Nakoula's legal woes. On Wednesday, an actress who says she was duped into appearing in the film sued Nakoula, who she identified as the producer. Cindy Lee Garcia also named YouTube and its parent company Google as defendants in the case.

Google has refused to remove the film from YouTube, despite pressure from the White House and others to take it down, though the company has blocked the trailer in Egypt, Libya and other Muslim countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's a protest outside Google in Barrow St atm, I can't see anything but the Guards have the road blocked off and I can hear the crowd every now and again.

Maybe this is getting more into Conspiracy Theory territory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

Maybe this is getting more into Conspiracy Theory territory

:) Maybe?
    I would say definitely. Beck and Fox are at the forefront of this.

Thom Hartmann discussed this recently. The Islamophobia industry. Yes, it is an industry. And a very well-oiled one at that.

Hartmann is as left as Beck is right so it's no surprise Hartmann thinks the problem isn't Islam, but people opposing Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thing about RT is that it is rabidly anti American. Anything they can do to make the USA look like the worst thing to happen to the world since the black death, RT will do it.

Therefore, I would need a little more than an RT commentary to believe that "Islamophobia" is endemic in the U.S.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 aja123

i think most muslims know violence as the answer. its not them but how they were taught and indoctrinated. the most cruelest religion ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

Left, right, up, down. It doesn't matter.
    Beck is a liar and a fraud. A laughing stock. A scaremongering Tea Party Fox News shock jock.

Thom Hartmann on the other hand is a very highly respected journalist, author and broadcaster. Absolutely no comparison. None.

So what if his show is syndicated by amongst many others RT? It doesn't make his facts any less true.

Bangladesh rampage over Facebook Koran image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19780692
    BBC wrote:
    Muslim protesters have attacked Buddhist villages in Bangladesh, after an image said to show a burnt Koran was posted on social network site Facebook.

Witnesses said angry crowds set fire to homes and temples in the Cox's Bazar district, forcing families to flee. A curfew has been imposed and security forces are patrolling the streets. The man accused of posting the image is in protective custody. Police say he was tagged in the photo but did not post it himself.

Buddhists in the area, in south-east Bangladesh, said their possessions were stolen before their homes were destroyed. "Before they set fire to my home, they looted everything," said resident Sumoto Barua. "They took our possessions, money, gold and even computers. Then they torched the house. I am now living under open sky."

The violence erupted on Saturday and continued into the early hours of Sunday. Hundreds of protesters are said to have rampaged through Buddhist neighbourhoods, smashing statues, burning down monasteries and attacking houses. The violence spread to the outskirts of the port city of Chittagong, where a Hindu temple was also attacked.

Bangladeshi Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir visited the scene and described the violence as "premeditated and deliberate acts of communal violence against a minority". District Commissioner of Cox's Bazar, Jaynul Bari, told the BBC Bengali service the government was already helping the victims. "We have distributed food rations for them. The army will supply more food," he said. "We are giving them building materials. The home minister has ordered that all the homes and the temples be restored to their former condition with the funds provided by the government."

The authorities have now deployed additional security to prevent further violence and a curfew has been imposed in the worst affected area of Ramu sub-district.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

aja123 wrote: »
    i think most muslims know violence as the answer. its not them but how they were taught and indoctrinated. the most cruelest religion ever

Odd; most Muslims I know abhor violence. I guess people are taught and indoctrinated to hate them by sections of the media and ignorant, fearful folk.

Advertisement