Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayonetta 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

wes wrote: »
    Again, to use the horror film example, it would be equivalent to a review complaining that a horror film, was far to scary. That is the way I view it.

Only if the main draw is the fan-dance aspect of the reward structure rather than the gameplay itself. Which it doesn't seem to be.

It would be more like complaining that, say, a "horror" movie like Cabin In The Woods or Army Of Darkness wasn't scary enough, which would be missing the entire point of the film in both cases. (Assuming, as I said, that the tease is the game, and everything else is set dressing). When I buy a game I expect a game first and foremost. If other aspects of the experience take away from the fun of playing the game then I would consider it a lesser game. Clearly that was the case for this reviewer.

You keep asking "what did he expect?" Well clearly he expected less overtly sexual content! I'm all for women in games being more "empowered" but given the footage I've seen of both games I really don't see this as empowerment of women, it looks like just another male fantasy figure being paraded around for male gratification. There's a case to be made for her owning her sexuality etc etc but really, they've just flipped the usual girl-in-game trope from sub to dom. I think the world needs a flood of female characters who's characters can be defined in ways that have nothing at all to do with what's in their pants before someone like Bayonetta can be viewed entirely positively.

Anyway, I grow weary of these disagreements. I'm just going to play the bloody thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

blag wrote: »
    I hope it didn't always mean that, I've recommended Hyrule Warriors on the basis of great fan service, god only knows what they're expecting.....:pac:
    Hopefully not what I just saw after googling for Link fan service.

Zelda fan service was surprisingly less odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Banjo wrote: »
    You keep asking "what did he expect?" Well clearly he expected less overtly sexual content!

Well, clearly he didn't look at any trailers, previews, interviews etc, as there was 0 indication of it being toned down from the first game........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will be curious to see the metacritic User rating after release. I'd say a lot of ones who still have trouble understanding why it's on Wii U and not a Sony or MS console will post negative reviews. Didn't that happen with Call of Duty or Battlefield where people just posted negative reviews out of spite?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Metacritic user reviews are only useful in laying testament to the sheer level of ignorance and narrow mindedness of certain sections of the gaming community. Even when there isn't a hate or hyperbole campaign raging, it's the rare user review that is worth the precious kilobytes of bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

The first print edition is back for pre order at Game UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

No matter how well written a Metacritic user review might be, and they usually aren't, the biggest problem I have with them is that it's very difficult to develop the kind of trust you would have in professional reviewers - you don't get the same exposure to individual users' opinions, see how often you agree with them or disagree, and why, so you can approach their reviews with from a more informed position.

Played the demo last night. It's fast, it's furious and while there's plenty of skin on show there isn't a lot of time to notice it (and it's so far away in the distance, at least in OffTV play), but I imagine a lot of that is because I'm using the same combos over and over again, and not carrying off the big moves. The opening tracking shot is shameful. I watched it 3 times to make sure :) If that's the starting point, and it can only go downhill from there, I can see how it might be offputting. The pace and scale of that demo though.... christ! I think I'll suffer through the cut-scenes. Pre-Order is staying preordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Must be open again to fill cancelled orders, grab it immediately as it probably won't be up for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Just got it there. Don't want to be waiting the extra few days but I'll get over it. Thanks for the heads up.

The Bayonetta anime film has passed bbfc uncut with an 18s rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Bayonetta anime film has passed bbfc uncut with an 18s rating.

Bloody Fate is very mediocre, with very dated animation in places and sloppy CGI in others, the fanservice is laughable and they story is comprised of fight after fight, still though I have seen far worse.

Xenji wrote: »
    Bloody Fate is very mediocre, with very dated animation in places and sloppy CGI in others, the fanservice is laughable and they story is comprised of fight after fight, still though I have seen far worse.

Agreed, just thought I'd post it incase anyone was interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

wes wrote: »
    Well, clearly he didn't look at any trailers, previews, interviews etc, as there was 0 indication of it being toned down from the first game........

Or maybe he did and he thought it was too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

COYVB wrote: »
    Or maybe he did and he thought it was too much?

Him and him alone apparently, no other reviewer seem to have that issue. Now he is welcome to his opinion, and I am welcome to find it amusing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Leigh Alexander's take on it conforms closely and articulates elegantly what I feel about the whole thing: http://leighalexander.net/bayonetta-two/
    To prohibit a character like Bayonetta, and rush to cover her up in disapproval, is a rejection of her particular brand of femininity. Why do that? Because she makes men uncomfortable? If men feel uncomfortable with Bayonetta, maybe that means she succeeds.
    As a woman, I haven’t often been satisfied by female character options that effectively boil down to “the same thing as a man, just with breasts and a ponytail.” Thanks to its innovative approach to the idea of female power, Bayonetta is the first action game heroine that’s made me directly conscious of how cool it is to be a girl.
    I already know that women can do all the same things men can. This time, I get to see a woman do plenty of things men can’t. And I love it.

I think it is unfair to dismiss those who don't like it - because, one way or the other, there is wild hypersexualisation in the game. But definitely I think Bayonetta is rich enough a 'text' that it can be easily defended as something more than a mindless, creepy further example of a dominant trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Two things Bayonetta 2 has done - really made me give serious thought to buying a Wii U and further piqued my interest in Scalebound, the next Platinum game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tumblr_ndgqetO3KF1r31hlfo1_500.png
    tumblr_ndgqetO3KF1r31hlfo2_1280.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stay away from my Waifu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stay away from my Waifu!

thought the librarian in persona 3 was your true love ? :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,876 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

thought the librarian in persona 3 was your true love ? :L

Ho's in different area co.... videogame series.

• Advertisement

Did anybody pick it up on here? Does anybody have any feedback on how the game plays?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Did anybody pick it up on here? Does anybody have any feedback on how the game plays?

It's not out for a week but the Demo was pretty damn amazing. If you liked the first game or games like Devil May Cry 3 then it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You know what I love? I love that the Wii U constantly gets called last gen in terms of graphical power and then this comes out.

So far what I've seen from Bayonetta 2 it looks absolutely FANTASTIC, just as good if not better than a lot of other current gen games.

That said I think I'll probably just pack it up along with Smash Bros for xmas to be honest as I'm knee deep in Destiny at the moment. It'll easily take up my life until xmas. I'm level 19 now. So close to 20. Tonights the night!.... Then I'm lost. lol.

You know what I love? I love that the Wii U constantly gets called last gen in terms of graphical power and then this comes out.

So far what I've seen from Bayonetta 2 it looks absolutely FANTASTIC, just as good if not better than a lot of other current gen games.

That said I think I'll probably just pack it up along with Smash Bros for xmas to be honest as I'm knee deep in Destiny at the moment. It'll easily take up my life until xmas. I'm level 19 now. So close to 20. Tonights the night!.... Then I'm lost. lol.

the internet could call the wii u all the names in the book and it would not matter , the wii u is still the best console to own out of the three , next year ill be no different. Nintendo are just knocking it out of the park with quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Pre-ordered the special edition today, don't even own a Wii U :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

This surely won't stay exclusive..... :o

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Its up to nintendo whether they want it to go multiplat since they funded the game

Its up to nintendo whether they want it to go multiplat since they funded the game

As Kamiya put it, why don't you ask Nintendo to port Mario and Zelda while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Not a hope.

Kinda nice as a Wii U owner to having bragging rights on such a top title too.

1st one was fantastic and this one looks even better. Completely over the top madness.

As much as I'm enjoying Destiny at the minute on PS4 the Wii U has definitely taken the bulk of my gaming time in the past 12 months. It's going to win the Xmas war for me too.

• Advertisement

Warning for anyone who has ordered Bayonetta 2 from Game.

Game will be taking payment for the preorders on Monday, due to high demand. The game will not be dispatched until later in the week to arrive by Friday for UK orders.

Advertisement