Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

nice one, never heard of it, must look into

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Has anyone tried Slaneypetfoods yet?
    22 euro for 20 pounds of chicken/beef sounds too good to be true ?

Came across their website at the weekend. Sent them an e-mail re: the dry food they sell but not received any reply :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

juniord wrote: »
    diatomaceous earth is a good supplement for parasites , it can be put in the food for internal or dusted on the coat for external parasites
    DogsFirst wrote: »
    nice one, never heard of it, must look into

Tis strange & amazing stuff !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Has anyone actually used DE though? I've looked into it and haven't found much unbiased information on it. The websites I've found seem to be written by zealots who use it to cure everything from worms to bad weather. If anyone can find any scientific info I'd love if you posted links

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Has anyone actually used DE though? I've looked into it and haven't found much unbiased information on it. The websites I've found seem to be written by zealots who use it to cure everything from worms to bad weather. If anyone can find any scientific info I'd love if you posted links

Off the top of my head, I think animals in the wild seek out diatomaceous earth when they're not feeling well. I'm guessing it has the same sort of effect on bad digestion as, say, a glass of Andrew's, or a Rennie, because it neutralises painful stomach acids because it's alkaline.
    Not so sure about its preventative abilities though, and I don't know of any research, or indeed valid theories, as to how it prevents or treats parasites either. However, if someone can provide same, I'd also like to see it.

• Advertisement

Never came accross this before. Interesting. Not much support in the literature at all. It's certainly used to keep nasties out of grain etc, works on beetles, and mites, a lot on grain quality, but as an ingestible for worming, certainly in dogs, there's nothing.

There's something on cows here actually, and the results show no effect over the control, compared to chemical worming.

Not sure about this. Not a huge amount on wormwood either mind. They make an awful lot of drugs out of wormwood species, anti-malarial, wormers etc, so anecdotally the leap seems sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Anyone feeding their cats raw? My cat is indoor only and getting a bit fat so trying to be careful about how much she eats. She was getting one pouch of natures menu and some meowing heads dry food. Last night i gave her a chicken wing it took her a while but eventually she ate it all. Just wondering how many she can have a week and should i give them instead of the pouches?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

nala2012 wrote: »
    Anyone feeding their cats raw? My cat is indoor only and getting a bit fat so trying to be careful about how much she eats. She was getting one pouch of natures menu and some meowing heads dry food. Last night i gave her a chicken wing it took her a while but eventually she ate it all. Just wondering how many she can have a week and should i give them instead of the pouches?
    From what I found googling 1 to 2 wings a week only.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

My cats get a wing every day each, and have been getting them for about two months now with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

13 months ago all this crap started with Lexi, €2,000 worth of tests, more on food that cost €90/12kg bag and after three months on raw Lexi has reached her target weight :D I am delighted and a bit emotional! Its been such hard work trying different foods, bringing her for massive exploratory surgery, vitamen injections every week and just watching her loose weight no matter what we done.

Thanks everyone for your help with all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TillyGirl wrote: »
    13 months ago all this crap started with Lexi, €2,000 worth of tests, more on food that cost €90/12kg bag and after three months on raw Lexi has reached her target weight :D I am delighted and a bit emotional! Its been such hard work trying different foods, bringing her for massive exploratory surgery, vitamen injections every week and just watching her loose weight no matter what we done.

Thanks everyone for your help with all this.

Yaaay!! Well done for being a good mammy and finding a solution for her! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

That's fantastic to hear! :D It really hammers home the fact that dogs need to be fed their natural diet.

Thumbs up +1,000,000

Expensive, invasive tests, ridiculously expensive processed foods, terribly hard drugs, swopping from dry food to dry food (with intermittent soujourns on chicken and rice while the "right bag" is found) as the dog wastes away, and no answer at the end.

So many dogs going around with repeating ear issues, repeating stomach upset, recurring skin complaints, orthopaedic complaints and arthritis, mucky, weeping eyes, rotten teeth, diabetes, pancreatitis, anal gland issues, hyperactivity, lethargy

All answered with a nice, fresh, biologically appropriate meal.

Good on ya TillyGirl for sticking with it, it's not easy at the start with all the backwards menusha from the other side.

Now go tell the world!!!!

:D Sides of salmon in the reduced meat up in Tescos for €4...and cheese cake for us humans lol! :p Everyone's happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

When ye just give meaty bones ye get from the butcher for free..what kind do ye ask for?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    When ye just give meaty bones ye get from the butcher for free..what kind do ye ask for?

I ask 'any bones for the dog? ;)' and see what I get. Now if they ask if I want big or small ones I ask for smaller ones - I think they're shanks? ( will post a pic for identification lol) because the big ones are HUGE like the size of my leg lol and they're more recreational - i prefer the smaller ones because he eats them and gets better benefit poop wise ;) One time we got the T from T-bone steaks - like the the whole long bone if that makes sense not just one steaks's worth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I'm new to this thread but have been following it and have read sections of it along the way as I try to decide about changing to raw.
    I have done alot of research as I don't think its a decision to take lightly and I have even gone so far as to get some gRaw food, which is currently in my freezer.
    While I have some concerns that have been raised and answered throughout this thread, the one major lingering concern I have is about salmonella. Both my dogs are lickers - they lick us all the time and I don't have any problem with that. In fact, both of them give me a 'kiss' every night before I go to bed:p:p
    I have been advised that this will have to stop if they are eating raw food - particularly raw chicken and fish. As I have a phobia about vomiting myself, you can imagine how this scares me as I would be a bag of nerves if I though I could contract an illness through being with my dogs.
    I realise that some people may say that I should put their long-term health before my fears and just stop them licking me or whatever, but they are such happy dogs who are the lights of my life and I don't want to cut them off like that:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I haven't stopped anything like jumping up or licking. I assume once consumed everything is fine? I wipe the counters with antibacterial wipes after making their food, I wash their dishes in very hot water soapy water after each meal and I wipe their containers in the freezer with antibac wipes. I never thought that their actual mouths would be an issue. I'd be interested to hear what others say.

Actually, I also wanted to ask; how likely is it that large bones will damage their teeth. There is almost constantly a bone available to them, they like to suck on the marrow. If they've been grinding them down a bit I usually give them some oily fish to make sure there are no constipation issues but wonder if I should cut back a bit. They've been getting them for as long as they've been my dogs with no issues so far.

Yeah it sounds like pet food company propaganda tbh - like them getting the taste of blood and all that crap!

For bones damaging their teeth I've found Bailey doesn't try to chew/bite really hard bones? He'll work away at the cartilage and get to the softer bone underneath but leave the longer/harder parts alone.

I will be so happy to know for certain that there is no risk or salmonella etc from their mouths! I know it sounds selfish but I am terrified of vomiting - its a lifelong phobia with me:(
    But I really want to do my best for them and am ready to start once I am sure.

• Advertisement

Shazanne wrote: »
    I will be so happy to know for certain that there is no risk or salmonella etc from their mouths! I know it sounds selfish but I am terrified of vomiting - its a lifelong phobia with me:(

Tbh they smell/lick other dogs bums, eat garbage etc so if you've been fine up until now I wouldn't worry about it! They drink when the eat anyways so it's not like they have a mouth full of raw meat all the time like hamsters. :) Anyhoos did they not use dog's in the olden days to keep wounds clean - just like dogs lick their own wounds to clean them and help them heal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shazanne wrote: »

It doesn't sound selfish at all, if it's a fear of yours and you think that you wouldn't be able to be as close to your dog then I'd imagine your dog would do better on a high quality dry food and loads of cuddles than the best raw diet in the world and an owner who doesn't want kisses. :)

A dog's lick is cleaner than any part of the human body. Containing lots of different bacteria killing things such as lysozyme, the french foreign legion still bring dogs into battle to help clean wounds. Bacteria can't live on a dogs mouth or about his lips. That said, I wouldn't go kissing them on a mouth after a meal.

Raw fed dogs pass more Salmonella to their faeces than dry fed dogs. That is established. Which species remains to be determined as most of the studies neglect to mention which species of Salmonella, which is incredible and highly dubious. Humans and dogs house Salmonella in the intestines to help break down food. Dogs fed a natural diet void of carbs and cereal are expected to have a much healthier digestive flora than dry fed dogs. It could be that raw feed dogs pass more of these Salmonella to the faeces as the vast majority of Salmonella dissolve in the stomach acid of pH1.5. Very little can survive that.

The leap is then that humans are more at risk around raw fed dogs, but the stats and the literature do not support this at all. However, strangely, this fact does not make to front of discussion. Numerous people have been given Salmonella by dog food, ALL of which have been linked to dry food. Studies available on request. There has not been one single incidence of zoonosis between a raw fed dog and a human, and believe me the pseudo-science arms of pet food companies are looking.

Dry food contains meat so it will house Salmonella over time, despite whatever lethal anti-microbials they chose to pump into the food. Dry feeders hold kibble in their bare hands, store on cupboard floors where children crawl. Not to mention so many cases annually of vomitoxin and alfatoxin and other posionous fungals (see FDA website/recalls for these). Then there's unavoidable storage mites after three weeks etc etc. Pigs ears are kept in sweaty clear plastic boxes in pet shops for months and are positively riddled with the stuff, lots of references on this one!! This would never ever be permitted in humans.

Some reasons for the lack on infection may be that fresh feeders are generally better educated to nutrition having been made do their own research due to lack of support from those educated on dry food dollars. Thus bowls are washed more often, food handled with care, surfaces wiped down with appropriate solutions (who disinfects after handling dry food?), poo is picked up perhaps more quickly, fresh fed dogs are statistically more robust, and are therefore expected to keep disease at bay better than dogs that are immunologically challenged ever day by poor ingredients or rotten teeth, they are expected to better keep fleas and parasites at bay, less scratching occurs as there's no food allergy, aggressive golden retrievers (and humans) are proven to calm on a fresh diet, so less biting maybe?! Who knows, but there has to be a reason for the lack of contamination.

As long as you don't pick up and play with their poo, ironically you're statistically safer with raw food.

It's actually really really hard to get Salmonella, a decent piece of meat has to be eaten in the first place and generally the immune system needs to be compromised to some degree. If it's dog poo you're concerned about I have only ever heard of one child eat a (dry fed) dog poo, they were OK. But even if this child was to get infected, the argument stands that would this be a reason to force feed nutritionally defunct processed meals to a carnivore every days of its life? In the same light we would need to remove from humans dangerous lego, chewing gum, hot dogs, peanuts, shellfish, chicken.........

The odds are with fresh food completely. It is a raw product with meat pulled from the human food chain, it will have the same potential to harm you as the meat you buy in the supermarket. Handle with care and you and yours will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

So many dogs going around with repeating ear issues, repeating stomach upset, recurring skin complaints, orthopaedic complaints and arthritis, mucky, weeping eyes, rotten teeth, diabetes, pancreatitis, anal gland issues, hyperactivity, lethargy

All answered with a nice, fresh, biologically appropriate meal.

Sorry I have to step in here. The above conditions can be multi factorial and can have nothing to do with diet. Please don't assume a raw diet will just cure everything. If anyone here reading this believes your pet has any of the above issues please take it to the vet for a thorough check up before giving it some raw meat and assuming it can cure all!!

Irishchick wrote: »

Sorry I have to step in here. The above conditions can be multi factorial and can have nothing to do with diet. Please don't assume a raw diet will just cure everything. If anyone here reading this believes your pet has any of the above issues please take it to the vet for a thorough check up before giving it some raw meat and assuming it can cure all!!

No you're right Irishchicksome of those mentioned are very serious issues that require vet assistance, preferably one learned in the nutritional causes and solutions to them.

Please don't assume fresh food will cure all of your dogs complaints.

Whispered wrote: »
    It doesn't sound selfish at all, if it's a fear of yours and you think that you wouldn't be able to be as close to your dog then I'd imagine your dog would do better on a high quality dry food and loads of cuddles than the best raw diet in the world and an owner who doesn't want kisses. :)

Thank you so much for that comment Whispered - it is hugely appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Liver has lots of zinc in it. As do fresh bones. Also a little almond oil on their food (half a teaspoon twice a week). You can apply almond oil topically on to things like elbow crusts (zinc deficiency), run through dry coat etc. Excellent stuff.

Phytic acid (in wheat) and gluten (in wheat) block zinc absorbtion. Also zinc oxide (used in dry food) is a poorly absorbed form of zinc. Hence dry fed dogs having elbow crusts that lots of people thought was because they lay on hard ground.

If you're feeding dry and are adding good foods and want zinc absorbtion it needs to be on a wheat free kibble!

cheers for the advice on liver and almond oil... Does work. Nala had the elbow crusts and after giving her more liver and almond oil over the last couple of weeks they've gone :)

cheers for the advice on liver and almond oil... Does work. Nala had the elbow crusts and after giving her more liver and almond oil over the last couple of weeks they've gone :)

Great stuff! Coat and nails will pop in two weeks also. And that's just the benefits on the outside. Zinc deficiency will weaken bone and connective tissue so its an entirely inappropriate food for those keen on good orthopaedics, greyhounds etc. Ironically zinc deficiency also lessens the dogs ability to taste anything. Coupled with extremely high dose salt, its the main reason they can eat it every day. Adding zinc type foods has resulted in some dogs going off their dry food, possibly the taste buds kicking back in!

Anyone know what kind of bone this is? The dish is 8 inches to give an idea of the size.
    233626.JPG

Also LOL - look what Santa is bringing Bailey! :D A T-Bone steak to match his 'leg of lamb' that he got last year lol!! Couldn't resist it! :p:pac:
    233627.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My dog seems to be gone off her raw again. She doesn't seem mad into mince or liver. In fact, the only food which she gobbles straight down is chicken.

She loves meaty bones but if I give her a lump of liver or mince, she just ignores it. The past few days I got some turkey guts off a local farmer and she didn't seem into them at all. The same goes for tripe.

She's also fond of fish as well as the chicken so I'm wondering can I simply feed her on chicken and fish alone?

Advertisement