Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

You have given me food for thought for a while now, LOL parden the pun!

I have stopped giving mine cooked chicken now, and the two little fellas love raw, the greyhound wont eat raw (to be honest - she does not think she is a greyhound - she is quite precious in her own mind!)

Just a question about eggs - I keep hens, and when it comes to colllect the eggs one of the dogs follows me around and initially I thought it was a laugh - but he took an egg and ate it - raw - shell and all, now he wont eat the shell!

Is it ok to give him raw eggs? and if I limit him to 2 a weeks is that to much?

He has the most amazing coat I have ever seen because of it,

Two eggs a week is fine. No need for shell if he's getting fresh bones, not that it really matters at two a week. They're incredible for coats!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh he knows well what to do with it - amazingly he's waiting for permission to take it lol!! :pac:

Ahhhh! That explains the vaguely disgusted look on his face so :p

So, he's actually saying "Mommy's such a spoilsport"?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DogsFirst wrote: »
    I like the groovy black chair in the background

Ikea lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Got six hearts from the butcher yesterday evening. Have them in the freezer now but are they as gross as I think when the dog is eating them, should I stick her outside?! Was it on here someone referred to them as a blood balloon?!!

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Got six hearts from the butcher yesterday evening. Have them in the freezer now but are they as gross as I think when the dog is eating them, should I stick her outside?! Was it on here someone referred to them as a blood balloon?!!

Try one and report back - I've been afraid to try them! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

That was me :) My lad loves them and crunches into them with his molars so that they make a curious squishing sound ( blee). I usually leave him outside with his, but it's gone in seconds.

That was me :) My lad loves them and crunches into them with his molars so that they make a curious squishing sound ( blee). I usually leave him outside with his, but it's gone in seconds.

Is there blood inside them then or are they cleaned out?!

OUTSIDE!!!! Also feed pigs heads outside and whole baby lambs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I might be doing something wrong because my two boys are going around looking starving. They're begging a lot and have attempted to root in the bin, something which neither has ever done before. Is this normal?

Fresh food has 60 - 70% water compared to 10% in dry. So they need 50% more of it. Up the food quantity a notch, 3% of their body weight per day is quite high, aim for that. Young pups need much more again.

Its harder for dogs on fresh food to get fat as it's largely protein and mainly water so you can stuff it in there. They'll use what they need and wee out the rest (not so easy on carb based dry food where excess is stored as fat).

Also this can sometimes be basic appetance. The difference in a dog looking for food (german shepard is a great example) on a fresh meat diet is remarkable. They REALLY want their dinner. Few really look forward to the same dry, very untasty pellet every day. Hence the high salt content of dry foods, without it dog's wont eat it at all.

Up the food and keep an eye on their waistline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Ahhh jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

the only part ever left off a sheeps head round here is the teeth lol, once the heart gets frozen the blood will dry up ,

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I feed hearts to my 2 & often cut them in half first - my daughter asks me to, so that she can see (I know, don't ask, weird gothy teen .....:rolleyes:)

There isn't any blood in them & personally I would much rather deal with hearts than liver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

From dissecting a good few hearts in anatomy class in first year I can assure you there arent large volumes of blood, a few clots though, but they are still messy! Also kidneys smell like pee lol

My father eats hearts, tongue etc :oI could nearly feed him the same diet as the boys, would just have to cook it for him.

Thanks DF, I'll up it to 3%. They are both already very lean so if they miss a meal, you can see it immediately. They're not loosing weight, but they just never seems satisfied.

I went into the butcher today and there was no pet mince there, or anything but liver, which I already have enough of. I asked if he had any offcuts, chicken necks etc. He offered me cooked dog meat and I explained that I wanted raw. He told me that I shouldn't feed them raw meat and no he doesn't have any of that stuff for sale. :( So I had to buy mince. €5 for 1kg.

I will have to find a cheaper way to do this. Tesco at closing time tonight I think!!

I get most of mine in Aldo/Lidl once a week, freeze them and take one bag out each night when Lex is fed so I dont forget. Chicken is about €2.99/kg, their frozen white fish is about €6/kg.

Its only since last weekend I have gotten anything for free, wanted to make sure she was properly established on the main chicken diet first before introducing hearts or fish heads.

Done veg at the weekend, enough for three weeks.

bth_Ewww.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

tk123 wrote: »
    Is there blood inside them then or are they cleaned out?!

They're quite solid! Yet squishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Where are people getting pigs heads and sheeps heads? I'm afraid to ask in my local butcher.

As for whole baby lambs... dear mother of dog. I couldn't in a million years handle that.

I find ox hearts are very good value. They're huge! My butchers sells them for around €3 each and the last time I weighed one it was around 2kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

The oldest guy here eats mostly beef heart, my housemate buys five a week and chops them up into huge chunks- they're usually between 1.5-2.5kg. She gave them half a pigs head each a few weeks ago and they spent the day at them. Its gross but they sure as hell love it! Wouldn't feed them inside though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Where are people getting pigs heads and sheeps heads? I'm afraid to ask in my local butcher.

As for whole baby lambs... dear mother of dog. I couldn't in a million years handle that.

I find ox hearts are very good value. They're huge! My butchers sells them for around €3 each and the last time I weighed one it was around 2kg.

I go to a butchers that sells lots of stuff that's ideal for the dogs. They have whole pigs livers, packs of pigs feet, half pigs heads, big bags of chicken bits (labelled for making chicken stock), bags of pork bones, hearts. Its all packed or bagged & in a fairly big chiller display. I suppose it depends on whether a particular butchers feels it is worthwhile? Took me a while to find this place & I also buy packs of chicken legs & fish in Lidl.

I have discovered a meat factory outlet not too far from home & will be seeing what they can offer as well :)

Lads Lidl's chicken is 2kg for €4, I just stocked up!

How many would you buy at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

LisaO wrote: »
    I go to a butchers that sells lots of stuff that's ideal for the dogs. They have whole pigs livers, packs of pigs feet, half pigs heads, big bags of chicken bits (labelled for making chicken stock), bags of pork bones, hearts. Its all packed or bagged & in a fairly big chiller display. I suppose it depends on whether a particular butchers feels it is worthwhile? Took me a while to find this place & I also buy packs of chicken legs & fish in Lidl.

I have discovered a meat factory outlet not too far from home & will be seeing what they can offer as well :)

Thanks - I haven't seen anything like that where I shop so I'll have to just ask and/or shop around a bit :)

:D Gave the boys some dry food last night and this morning to use up the last of their bag. Phoes breath is stinking and they are both sitting there farting like mad.

Whispered wrote: »
    How many would you buy at once?

I usually get 3kg a week and add fish but bought 6kg today.

Lexi's breakfast :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lexi's breakfast :D

Errrr.... Yum?

:-P

DBB wrote: »

Errrr.... Yum?

:-P

Sooo gross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Does anybody know which foods are high in zinc?

Advertisement