Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

+1 to keeping them on the wet food, but as NatureDiet doesn't go as far for the money, I'd suggest going for Rocco... there's a really good sale on zooplus.de on some varieties at the min... I only realised last night how much cheaper the .de site is than the .ie site!
    Depending on how much Coco and Benson eat, you're probably looking at somewhere in the region of an 800g tin each a day. Should be nice and manageable for your neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Rocco would do grand sizewise, Coco gets 700-750g, Benson 750-800g per day, He could probably cope with throwing them a few necks as well for variety. It's when I leave him just the right amount he panics that he might overfeed and run out and not know whats what in the freezer. At least if he has cans he'll cope grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh Yeah forgot about the Rocco!! ND was the first thing I found when I went looking for food in a panic lol but we still have some of that too. They love it too and good value. You can get sensitive too if you're worried about it not agreeing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Does anyone have the feeding guild lines for Rocco? I have the same problem for Lex, going away for a few weeks and I know the lady that will be minding her wouldn't have the space for all the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

• Advertisement

If anyone is thinking of running turkey necks thru a mincer DON'T - oops!! I decided it'd be quicker to mince them myself instead of buying frozen mince and waiting for it to thaw... the plan was to make up a load of mince+veg for Bailey because he can't have anything hard atm with his jaw the way it is and my plan has well and truly backfired! GAH! :(

Hopefully the mincer will still be ok for boneless meat/veg i.e. what it's actually intended for!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Aldi have 1kg of chicken thighs in their super saver offer this week for €2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Feline Nutrition was mentioned by Jackson Galaxy on the latest video for those going raw for cats and they got a ton of information (inc. what not to include such as kelp etc.!)

I've been experimenting with the dehydrator making meaty treats. The dogs LOVE them, cheaper than anything in the pet shop and most importantly not made in China! (And our staple of dried sweet potato on the end lol :p)

318752.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

what else is there, apart from the sweet potato, and does it make it chewy?

• Advertisement

The other ones are a mix of duck, chicken, mashed sweet potato, rosemary and garlic. The longer you leave it in the dehydrator the harder/crispier they get but the dogs seem to prefer them chewy. Sometimes I do long thick strips of the sweet potato but it can be hard to cut so the last couple of times I've done smaller thiner slices with a slicer thing we had in the press :p and just not dried it for as long. You can get HUGE sweet potatoes in Aldi for 99c - I got a 1kg one today...a 100g bag of Soopa is €3.90(!)

tk123 wrote: »
    The other ones are a mix of duck, chicken, mashed sweet potato, rosemary and garlic. The longer you leave it in the dehydrator the harder/crispier they get but the dogs seem to prefer them chewy. Sometimes I do long thick strips of the sweet potato but it can be hard to cut so the last couple of times I've done smaller thiner slices with a slicer thing we had in the press :p and just not dried it for as long. You can get HUGE sweet potatoes in Aldi for 99c - I got a 1kg one today...a 100g bag of Soopa is €3.90(!)

So do you cook it to mix it, or mix it all raw? I've done sweet potato slices in the oven, and my lot love it. I know you've mentioned your dehydrator before, but my memory isn't what it once was, where did you get it?

I just left the meat raw then it was dried for 7 or 8 hours. I have this one (we get amazon vouchers in work ;) ) No problems with it so far :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Dehydrator-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B00FF97SJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408289563&sr=8-1&keywords=andrew+james+dehydrator

so the last couple of times I've done smaller thiner slices with a slicer thing we had in the press :p

I can't help but think that your press is feckin crammed to the rafters with stuff for making dog stuff :D

DBB wrote: »
    I can't help but think that your press is feckin crammed to the rafters with stuff for making dog stuff :D

The mincer and dehydrator live in the shed! :p We were having a clear out in the kitchen and found the slicer so decided to try it - a bit safer then using a cleaver lol!! It works well enough but kind of catches at the end as you slice but still saves time so I saved it from the rubbish pile! It's like this one but doesn't have the tray on the bottom - http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/graters/multi-grater/invt/031617

Guys how much do you increase food by at a time? Bailey's lost weight since all his jaw problems started and also because I've been feeding him leaner meats than the duck I used to feed before so minced beef, rabbit, turkey and fish. He's not getting any bones or hard chews like pizzle and only smaller treats - mostly zukes and some fancy kibble I got free on zooplus :p He was weighed last week and is 28.7kgs and imo staring to get too skinny! He hasn't been to hydro for weeks either and he's lost muscle tone which is probably adding to it. I've done up his meals for when he's on hols and I'm wondering now if I should pack some wet food for him too - his portions look tiny compared to Lucy's so feeling a bit guilty :o 500g (to allow extra for treats while keeping him thin) vs 900g! She's 33kgs though and lean and also chunkier like a cream retriever.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Resurrecting this thread, as it was the traditional one for discussing developments in raw feeding. If I'm wrong, I'm sure this will be split off/closed/whatever, but I do think it's a good thread to keep alive for newbie perusal anyways :pac:

Just saying I am thrilled one of the above suppliers now has the frozen sprats again, as I think they are brilliant for feeding. He has also banded together with a meat factory family in his new premises in Clonsilla, and they do lots of nice things, including a chub product, which is a bit cheaper, and also I feel a bit better than the one he used to do.

I was very glad I bought some of the chubs to try: my problem had been a sudden failure of the duck hearts I'd been buying from source, which the wholesale petfood suppliers say they are very unhappy I was allowed to do that.

I just dealt with the lovely Polish girl in the factory shop, and she'd instruct the lads down in the factory to have my 60kg of duck necks, and 100kg of duck hearts ready, then she give me a call when they were, I'd drive the 2.5 hrs to Emyvale, pay her in the shop, then pop into the factory to get the boxes from the guy in the white hairnet, 2.5 hrs home, and done for the next 3 months, (was for the neighbour, as well as for me), apart from bagging up, throwing in the freezers and then mixing in the extras needed at feeding time!

Apparently this was utterly illegal, as they are only supposed to deal directly with the commercial suppliers, meaning I'd pay way more, and also receive them already frozen, which made my job way more difficult, as I either have to saw them into the freezer portions, or else wait for them to part-thaw for bagging up, which is obviously less ideal than bagging them straight into the freezer, the evening after they've come out of the ducks.

Anyway, my pup will eat whatever raw food you throw at her, with the greatest gusto, but the cats had only really been happy with duck hearts before, which was why I've still been giving them kibble in the morning, to make sure they get all the stuff they need. I'd tried them on the sprats before, and they'd liked them one day, but shunned them the next.

So while I bought lots of sprats for Nyssa, I wasn't relying on the cats eating those, tho I think they may occasionally. So I bought 1 box of minced salmon (which incidentally does seem better than the minced salmon they had before, so far), and also bought 10kg of the chubs (mostly duck ones, some turkey ones, coarse minced, including some bone, some vegetables and also kelp.)

Monday evening, I was working with the last batch of duck hearts from before, and the salmon paste from what had collected from the circular saw, dividing up the salmon blocks into 1kg portions. One cat ate her usual duck hearts, and almost all of the salmon as well. The other picked out the duck hearts, and totally turned her nose up at the salmon! And was a grumpy so-and-so all evening, as she deemed she had only been half fed :rolleyes:

By Tuesday evening I had a duck chub thawed out, and was still waiting on the sprats and necks to thaw enough to divvy up, so everyone got duck chub. And everyone thought it was absolutely amazing stuff! I was surprised that the cats took way longer to eat that than they always did with the hearts, which I used to cut into 3 pieces for them: 4 apiece, so 12 heart pieces per cat.

But they took lots of time crunching the bone pieces, and clearly enjoying their food a lot! After Nyssa finished hers, and I'd taken her out for her spooty, I had to tie her to the stairgate to stop her from jumping onto the windowsill to steal Kitteron's food, which I never used to have to do before :rolleyes: Clearly everyone thinks these Kellys chubs are the best thing ever. I'm gonna have to keep them mostly for the cats: Nyssa has loads of sprats and things to eat.

But I'm thinking, with a bit of addition of taurine and stuff, we might soon be having the cats fully on raw too, as that stuff is otherwise highly biologically appropriate for them :D

ferretone wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread, as it was the traditional one for discussing developments in raw feeding. If I'm wrong, I'm sure this will be split off/closed/whatever, but I do think it's a good thread to keep alive for newbie perusal anyways :pac:

Just saying I am thrilled one of the above suppliers now has the frozen sprats again, as I think they are brilliant for feeding. He has also banded together with a meat factory family in his new premises in Clonsilla, and they do lots of nice things, including a chub product, which is a bit cheaper, and also I feel a bit better than the one he used to do.

Did autocorrect change that for you? For clarity for other readers it's in Clondalkin :p
    I was very glad I bought some of the chubs to try: my problem had been a sudden failure of the duck hearts I'd been buying from source, which the wholesale petfood suppliers say they are very unhappy I was allowed to do that.

I just dealt with the lovely Polish girl in the factory shop, and she'd instruct the lads down in the factory to have my 60kg of duck necks, and 100kg of duck hearts ready, then she give me a call when they were, I'd drive the 2.5 hrs to Emyvale, pay her in the shop, then pop into the factory to get the boxes from the guy in the white hairnet, 2.5 hrs home, and done for the next 3 months, (was for the neighbour, as well as for me), apart from bagging up, throwing in the freezers and then mixing in the extras needed at feeding time!

Apparently this was utterly illegal, as they are only supposed to deal directly with the commercial suppliers, meaning I'd pay way more, and also receive them already frozen, which made my job way more difficult, as I either have to saw them into the freezer portions, or else wait for them to part-thaw for bagging up, which is obviously less ideal than bagging them straight into the freezer, the evening after they've come out of the ducks.
    I don't think it's illegal per se, but any supplier of any goods would be well pissed off at customers going straight to source. It's their livelyhood at the end of the day. From working in retail for nearly 2 decades if a customer came in and said they weren't bothering with the customer facing shop, that pays wages, rent, rates, insurances and utilities at the highest rates for customer convenience and that they were going straight to factory source, we'd be doing our best to stop the practice.

And the easiest way to separate frozen duck necks is to drop the 15kg bag on a concrete floor a few times, they tend to break up quite easily, far easier than 15kg of chicken necks! The turkey necks are easier still!
    Anyway, my pup will eat whatever raw food you throw at her, with the greatest gusto, but the cats had only really been happy with duck hearts before, which was why I've still been giving them kibble in the morning, to make sure they get all the stuff they need. I'd tried them on the sprats before, and they'd liked them one day, but shunned them the next.

So while I bought lots of sprats for Nyssa, I wasn't relying on the cats eating those, tho I think they may occasionally. So I bought 1 box of minced salmon (which incidentally does seem better than the minced salmon they had before, so far), and also bought 10kg of the chubs (mostly duck ones, some turkey ones, coarse minced, including some bone, some vegetables and also kelp.)

Monday evening, I was working with the last batch of duck hearts from before, and the salmon paste from what had collected from the circular saw, dividing up the salmon blocks into 1kg portions. One cat ate her usual duck hearts, and almost all of the salmon as well. The other picked out the duck hearts, and totally turned her nose up at the salmon! And was a grumpy so-and-so all evening, as she deemed she had only been half fed :rolleyes:

By Tuesday evening I had a duck chub thawed out, and was still waiting on the sprats and necks to thaw enough to divvy up, so everyone got duck chub. And everyone thought it was absolutely amazing stuff! I was surprised that the cats took way longer to eat that than they always did with the hearts, which I used to cut into 3 pieces for them: 4 apiece, so 12 heart pieces per cat.

But they took lots of time crunching the bone pieces, and clearly enjoying their food a lot! After Nyssa finished hers, and I'd taken her out for her spooty, I had to tie her to the stairgate to stop her from jumping onto the windowsill to steal Kitteron's food, which I never used to have to do before :rolleyes: Clearly everyone thinks these Kellys chubs are the best thing ever. I'm gonna have to keep them mostly for the cats: Nyssa has loads of sprats and things to eat.

But I'm thinking, with a bit of addition of taurine and stuff, we might soon be having the cats fully on raw too, as that stuff is otherwise highly biologically appropriate for them :D
    I went up on Saturday, I got sprat, salmon & some mince as I recently got a neck order so I'm grand for the new year, I kind of regret not getting a few chubs and trying them, but I think I was a bit blinkered by the fish, as it's been out of stock for so long. At least the chubs can be ordered online though.

And the easiest way to separate frozen duck necks is to drop the 15kg bag on a concrete floor a few times, they tend to break up quite easily, far easier than 15kg of chicken necks! The turkey necks are easier still!

:pac::p I dropped some (can't remember now if it was turkey or duck necks) on a spare slab left over from the patio and it cracked the slab lol!!

Not sure if I'll try the fish - both of them have been sick a few times after trying them with raw fish so I gave up! Also the smell puts me off lol :o

I switched to turkey when they started stocking it - just found the duck too fatty and a PITA to cut the fat off!! I wouldn't be bothered with the chubs tbh - too expensive for me compared to buying the slabs of meat. I've found the weight of organ chubs inconsistent too - they're nearly always lighter than they should be which is annoying if you're trying to get percentages right.

I've been buying from Slaney too the last while so we have a good variety of other meats like venison, rabbit and pheasant which they love.

I love the turkey, and as I posted in the other thread, my pair need to lose weight so its a great low fat option. I might get a bit more of it as its price matched to the duck while its out of stock. :-)

• Advertisement

Anyone feeding turkey necks - how long does it take your dog to eat them? I tried Bailey with one this evening and it took him 10 mins - Lucy would be 2 mins max.. I don't know if they're too hard for Bailey with his jaw.. but at the same time he didn't leave it to one side so think they're ok!!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'd love to have the freezer space, time and availability of a mixture of meats to feed raw :( Tried it for a while but it was too much hassle. Out of interest are there any suppliers like above in the west / north west area?

Anyone feeding turkey necks - how long does it take your dog to eat them? I tried Bailey with one this evening and it took him 10 mins - Lucy would be 2 mins max.. I don't know if they're too hard for Bailey with his jaw.. but at the same time he didn't leave it to one side so think they're ok!!? :confused:

It takes Benson maybe 4 mins, Coco even longer, I cut them in half so they can have a break and eat the other stuff in the bowl.

w00t! Collected our organic lamb today from the market and the guy had a box of bones, organ and loads of trimmings for me for the doggies! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BaoisGlas

Does anyone know of any suppliers that do raw bones in Monaghan or surrounding areas? Would prefer not lamb as my boy doesn't cope to well with lamb

BaoisGlas wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any suppliers that do raw bones in Monaghan or surrounding areas? Would prefer not lamb as my boy doesn't cope to well with lamb

Silver Hill in Emyvale, I'm pretty sure would do a deal with you for fowl bones :)

Has anyone had any problems with pricing when collecting from the DF/CK depot? My dad was charged €57.60 yesterday for €35 worth of meat. It's not the first time he's been overcharged either! Last time I sent him with a print out of the prices (after he was overcharged the time before) but didn't think I'd need to this time since they're up on their new website. :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Has anyone had any problems with pricing when collecting from the DF/CK depot? My dad was charged €57.60 yesterday for €35 worth of meat. It's not the first time he's been overcharged either! Last time I sent him with a print out of the prices (after he was overcharged the time before) but didn't think I'd need to this time since they're up on their new website. :( :mad:

How annoying. Most deliveries have been wrong in some ways, too few chubs back in the day of chubs, mince sent instead of necks etc. Frustrating.

toadfly wrote: »
    How annoying. Most deliveries have been wrong in some ways, too few chubs back in the day of chubs, mince sent instead of necks etc. Frustrating.

They must be in the depot a year now or the best part of one so should know the prices? That said I'm aware my dad is a messer and can rub people up the wrong way - it's not uncommon for him to come home with the wrong order from the takeaway etc...but still frustrating. Think I'll have to start collecting myself on a Saturday morning. Delivery was a nightmare - the boxes were always smashed and leaked a few times so stared using the depot instead

• Advertisement

I've not been on here much, and have only just found out about Carnivore Kellys from a friend on FB - always behind the times, me. Do many API boardsies use them? Am thinking of ordering some stuff from them, wondered what the general consensus is.

Advertisement