Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Cocolola wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll drop him a message on FB so and see what the story is. No I've never bought from them before but I'd like to try another supplier other than DF for a while. The little 500g lunch box type things from Nutriment appeal to my lazy side :D

What flavour was it that Lucy wasn't keen on? Ollie can be a bit fussy too but generally is happy with chicken and duck.

I tried them on salmon, turkey and beef. She ate them all but not with her usual enthusiasm! The 1.4kg chubs are good value imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tesco have prepacked frozen mackerel on a "buy one, get one free" offer at the minute. There's two full mackerel in every pack for €1.80 so you can get 4 mackerel for €1.80 at the minute.

Just to update on the Nutriment I think it's just the texture that was slowing her down eating - I watched them both earlier and they ate at the same speed and definitely liked it lol! It's finer and wetter compared to Slaney/df's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Got chicken in Aldi and it was gone off. K fed it to the dogs anyway (despite me asking him to throw it out). The smell of the chicken was disgusting. I'm so annoyed he gave it to them. What can I
    Expect to happen now?

Phoe still getting over his gastric episode so I don't know whether to stay up and keep and eye on them.

Meh Bailey has eaten chicken legs, meat (i think liver) that was covered in "green bottles", rotten rashers and rotten mince plastic bag and all - no problems any of the times it happened. When he was fine after the legs I stopped mincing the chicken haha! :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't usually worry just with him being so sick recently. Ok, no need to stay up and worry then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Cocolola wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll drop him a message on FB so and see what the story is. No I've never bought from them before but I'd like to try another supplier other than DF for a while. The little 500g lunch box type things from Nutriment appeal to my lazy side :D

What flavour was it that Lucy wasn't keen on? Ollie can be a bit fussy too but generally is happy with chicken and duck.

I switched from DF at the start of the year to Nutriment and my both love it. you will find more variety with Nutriment as it is also ready to feed. I also trust them more what the food contains as DF tbh!

I switched from DF at the start of the year to Nutriment and my both love it. you will find more variety with Nutriment as it is also ready to feed. I also trust them more what the food contains as DF tbh!

Do you get any of the other stuff like the baa and moo tubes? I find with DF it's either chicken which is no good to me*, duck or beef heart (I know he does offal as well) so he's getting duck nearly every day and I don't think his or Lucy's diet is varied enough. I put an order in with Slaney this week for variety - only thing is I've no idea when it's coming because all I got was a mail to say the order was completed! :confused: I'll probably get some Nutriment again at some stage because it has everything in it already - the meat, offal and veg, herbs etc and better value that DF's chubbs so good for a treat/change for them.

*I don't feed that much chicken because when I sent Bailey's bloods off to Jean Dodds she told me to avoid chicken (as well as venison and mutton) because they're 'hot/pro-inflammatory' in Chinese medicine. I wouldn't normally pat attention to Chinese medicine only for the fact that she told me to avoid it and she knows her stuff!! I had given a summary of his history so when she replied it was tailored for him specifically so his thyroid levels, anxiety and the legs. She told me to feed Turkey because of the tryptophan levels so I'm delighted that DF is going to be stocking turkey soon.

It's great that there's a few suppliers that we can pick and choose from imo.

Hello tk123,

we use the full Nutriment Range :-). As I said they love it but I would also say that tripe (which you wont get from DF - he said its to expensive and hard to get!) is their favorite.
    One question on the side: you are happy with turkeys from Italy - if they ever get delivered!
    This was one of the reasons why we switched - coulndt stand anymore his blablabla.

I would be really interested in this blood test from Jean Dodds. Is there some information on the internet so I can just google it?

Hello tk123,

we use the full Nutriment Range :-). As I said they love it but I would also say that tripe (which you wont get from DF - he said its to expensive and hard to get!) is their favorite.
    One question on the side: you are happy with turkeys from Italy - if they ever get delivered!
    This was one of the reasons why we switched - coulndt stand any more his blablabla.

I would be really interested in this blood test from Jean Dodds. Is there some information on the internet so I can just google it?

Turkey from Italy/Poland vs Nutriment's meat from the UK - sure what's the difference? Chicken breasts you get in the butchers can be processed and marked as being from Holland but the chicken itself is from Asia...
    Anyways he says they plan to keep it in stock - once they get it!
    I'm not sticking to one supplier any more... unless one of them starts stocking everything I want which would be great lol!! :pac:

www.hemopet.org is where I got the analysis done - I sent a copy of his blood results btw - thought it was too much hassle to send the actual blood.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Turkey from Italy/Poland vs Nutriment's meat from the UK - sure what's the difference? Chicken breasts you get in the butchers can be processed and marked as being from Holland but the chicken itself is from Asia...
    Anyways he says they plan to keep it in stock - once they get it!
    I'm not sticking to one supplier any more... unless one of them starts stocking everything I want which would be great lol!! :pac:

is where I got the analysis done - I sent a copy of his blood results btw - thought it was too much hassle to send the actual blood.

your right with the turkey :-)

thanks for the link (was already thinking how I will get the blood taken by myself LOL)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Topic of turkey and tryptophan covered in this month's Whole Dog Journal... the science doesn't add up, unfortunately.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/17_7/features/Can-Tryptophan-Calm--Anxious-Aggressive-Overactive-Dog_21007-1.html

It's subscriber-only so I can't give you a link to the full article, but basically what they're saying is it's the high-protein meal that promotes the feelings of calmness and sleepiness, not the tryptophan.

boomerang wrote: »
    Topic of turkey and tryptophan covered in this month's Whole Dog Journal... the science doesn't add up, unfortunately.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/17_7/features/Can-Tryptophan-Calm--Anxious-Aggressive-Overactive-Dog_21007-1.html

It's subscriber-only so I can't give you a link to the full article, but basically what they're saying is it's the high-protein meal that promotes the feelings of calmness and sleepiness, not the tryptophan.

Less fat in the turkey though which is a factor for us!

Interesting. I began to add carbs (brown rice and potato) back into their food after a behaviourist suggested Harley might be lacking tryptophan, hence his anxiety levels. I wonder was a fooled :)

Funny that came up on a FB group yesterday and the opinion was split. They were talking about serotonin but it was the same story - somebody had told them they should feed carbs for aggression and they weren't sure. I sometimes feed them and other times run out and mightn't feed them for a few days and don't see a difference

I have to say I saw a difference. It took about two weeks and it coincided with some other changes in our lives so it may not necessarily be the carbs that made the difference though.

Truthfully adding a bit of carb helps the food go a bit further for us as well which is a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Well anything you read about helping dogs cope with fireworks or bangers will mention giving the dog a carb-heavy meal, e.g. a lot of pasta in the milk. For cats, a treat of cat milk. I deffo think there is truth in it. Personally I always feel good after carbs, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Interesting. It's a bit of a mine field isn't it. It seems like you're doing everything right then something else pops up.

Although, if we researched our own diets as much as I'm sure most of us do our dogs, I bet there are a lot of factors we ignore in our own daily intake. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Whispered wrote: »
    Interesting. It's a bit of a mine field isn't it. It seems like you're doing everything right then something else pops up.

Although, if we researched our own diets as much as I'm sure most of us do our dogs, I bet there are a lot of factors we ignore in our own daily intake. :pac:

Totally agree with the last bit, we seem to trust human food a lot more than we do pet food, and look where thats got us :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well Bailey is hypo and getting bloods done every 6 months which are spot on now thank god!! He's been getting duck necks most days for over a year so they haven't made any difference as far as I can see - if they did they'd save me paying for his medicine lol!! :pac: I wonder how much of that is scaremongering though - I mean there's tons of foods that can affect your thyroid levels but you'd need to eat massive amounts of them. I had thyroid disease and the symptoms of either extreme are similar in humans and dogs so I have a fair idea what to look out for- I suspected he was hypo for years and years and was right. Another thing is that some breeds are more predisposed to having thyroid prob (retrievers being on the them) and a lot of studies etc are based on one set of values where they should be based on breed specific charts. I was told he was borderline low by the lab in the UK and it was grand - Jean Dodds said it was too low and need to be treated.

Rabbit is in stock @ Slaney!!! For months I've been looking at the rabbits hopping around the field beside work and thinking of bags of mince :p

Rabbit is in stock @ Slaney!!! For months I've been looking at the rabbits hopping around the field beside work and thinking of bags of mince :p

Great tk123, do you have a link for me to order? thank you :-)

thank you tk123

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Not a raw food question as such but with 2 weeks hols coming up in a few months I'll be most likely leaving Coco & Benson here to be minded by my neighbour who is brilliant with them. However, I know he gets bamboozled and slightly confused with feeding them raw, the last time we went away was only for 5 days so I bagged and labelled everything but still he was putting dollops of yoghurt and cracking eggs on top and I know it's the one thing he worries about, he's always concerned he'll give out wrong portions and then there won't be enough or they'll not eat it and it'll go off etc etc.

So I was thinking of putting them on dry food for the two weeks to make his life easier so I'm looking for recommendations for a decent dry food that won't run through them and they'll like. Barking Heads is out, Coco doesn't really like it and would probably prefer something that isn't such a "dry" nut iykwim. I used to give them a couple of RC labrador kibble as treats and they loved the taste but I'd rather not buy RC as I know there's lots better out there. So what are the better alternatives?

How about Nature Diet? 2 trays each a day and no need to wean them on/off - simples! ;)

How about Nature Diet? 2 trays each a day and no need to wean them on/off - simples! ;)

I was actually looking for nature diet on zooplus and couldn't find it! Dunno if 2 trays would be substantial enough for my pair, they'd inhale it and be looking for more! I'd have to supplement it with bones at least.

I'm bamboozled looking at all these dry foods, how do people choose??

Looks like it's out of stock on zooplus.co.uk but Amazon is usually better value. There's little bits of bone it it already btw. I had nothing to feed my two the other morning and gave them ND - they were delighted! :D The rabbit and turkey is the most normal smelling one :p

• Advertisement

Looks like it's out of stock on zooplus.co.uk but Amazon is usually better value. There's little bits of bone it it already btw. I had nothing to feed my two the other morning and gave them ND - they were delighted! :D The rabbit and turkey is the most normal smelling one :p

Oh they love it, my nieces yorkie is on it and they clean her plate if she leaves a crumb:)

Advertisement