Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed to Raw :-)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I have a big 540g salmon head in the freezer wondering what to do with it, bit big for a little terrier and someone said the gill covers were sharp, any ideas what will I do with it? If I stick it in a pot of water and boil it for a few hours will I get a sort of fishy soup? I'v never made stock before so I'v no idea what I'm supposed to do or what it's supposed to look like after?

There's a fair bit of meat to be got from a salmon head, the cheeks are considered a delicacy by some! They don't take much cooking either, a half hour in shallow water in a pissed pot will steam it fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

DBB wrote: »
    There's a fair bit of meat to be got from a salmon head, the cheeks are considered a delicacy by some! They don't take much cooking either, a half hour in shallow water in a pissed pot will steam it fine!

Should be having it for my dinner :D And just strip the meat off afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lemlin wrote: »
    Dogsfirst are now doing online bulk orders so I can get delivery to Cavan. I've three dogs to feed so I'm thinking about ordering 25kg. 15kg of duck's necks and 10kg of meaty hearts.

Anyone any feedback on the different product types?

Where are you seeing that online? (I've to order some duck necks myself and was going to collect them)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

tk123 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that online? (I've to order some duck necks myself and was going to collect them)

I'm emailing them directly. I have been for a while requesting info as to when they will start deliveries.

My local butcher won't be killing cattle as much now coming into the Summer.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Should be having it for my dinner :D And just strip the meat off afterwards?

Yes, it comes away nice and easily, you'll get a reasonable amount of meat at the cheeks, top of the head, and behind the head.
    If you only use an inch or two of water, you end up with a fishy stock too! If you mix the salmon meat with some spuds or veg, then pour a bit of the stock on it, nyom nyom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I have a pork back here i won as first prize in a trivia night. Considering i don't eat meat, Cooper is in for a treat :). Whats the best way to give it to him? Raw or cooked? I presume either way i will want to spread it out over a few nights in order to avoid upsetting his stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just in Dunnes this morning, they have half price frozen turkeys, small -€4.50, medium -€7.00, the medium is 5.8kg, so a decent sized bird for the money. :-)

Just in Dunnes this morning, they have half price frozen turkeys, small -€4.50, medium -€7.00, the medium is 5.8kg, so a decent sized bird for the money 😊

:pac: I saw that on the main Bargain Alerts earlier and the dogs were the first thing I thought of lol!

:pac: I saw that on the main Bargain Alerts earlier and the dogs were the first thing I thought of lol!

The cheek of them, not thinking of posting here for us too!!

The cheek of them, not thinking of posting here for us too!!

:)
    Update if anyone was thinking of heading to Blanch they only have medium and large left.......and Mr Price have giant footballs :D

• Advertisement

For the Louth peeps, Dunnes on West St this at about 11am had all sizes and plenty left at that, I could've bought loads! And I would never normally be in that branch, never mind at that hour of the day but the bank was getting a cash delivery/collection and the army was on guard so I couldn't get into the bank straight away:D

TK, I see your giant ball and I raise you a large tennis ball for €1.45:P. Coco loves a slightly bigger than average ball to carry! In Boyds of West St in Drogheda.

Yfg8lTJl.jpg

For the Louth peeps, Dunnes on West St this at about 11am had all sizes and plenty left at that, I could've bought loads!

Thanks to this post, I now have 3 small turkeys stashed away in the dog freezer! There were a few turkeys left there at 6ish this evening. But the cashier did look at me sideways, presumably worried about my turkey addiction :-)

Thanks to this post, I now have 3 small turkeys stashed away in the dog freezer! There were a few turkeys left there at 6ish this evening. But the cashier did look at me sideways, presumably worried about my turkey addiction :-)

And the small ones aren't small at all, they're like an ultra large chicken:D

And the small ones aren't small at all, they're like an ultra large chicken:D

That's exactly how I described them to the OH (who thinks I'm mad buying meat for the dogs :-o), they're really great value. Awkward buggers to fit into the freezer though!

My Dad was really disappointed when he heard it was for the dogs! :p

I was bullied into keeping the turkey crown for (human) easter dinner!! Cooked it up yesterday as I'd been defrosting the turkey in the fridge and it was quite tasty - no wonder the dogs look so happy with themselves the last few days they've been feasting on the rest of it! :p Also not quite raw but we got some hooves to try from zooplus - they LOVE them and they last ages! Also no stink compared to pizzle or scalp *gag*

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Quick question if ye don't mind, I've left it a little late defrosting a 5kg slab of duck mince to have in time for Ollie's food tomorrow but I have a duck carcass defrosting in the fridge instead. I've never fed any carcass or bits of carcass before so not sure how to go about giving it to him? He normally gets 150g of mince (+ liver mixed in) at brekkie and at dinner and this thing is about 800g. Do I need to try hack it in half or something and just let him off out in the garden to gnaw on it? I'm assuming it would be too much if I gave him the whole thing at once?

Sorry for the dumb questions :o Just want to be on the safe side! Thanks.

Cocolola wrote: »
    Quick question if ye don't mind, I've left it a little late defrosting a 5kg slab of duck mince to have in time for Ollie's food tomorrow but I have a duck carcass defrosting in the fridge instead. I've never fed any carcass or bits of carcass before so not sure how to go about giving it to him? He normally gets 150g of mince (+ liver mixed in) at brekkie and at dinner and this thing is about 800g. Do I need to try hack it in half or something and just let him off out in the garden to gnaw on it? I'm assuming it would be too much if I gave him the whole thing at once?

Sorry for the dumb questions :o Just want to be on the safe side! Thanks.

Is a carcass really 800g? I tried my two with them last weekend but didn't weigh them - I gave them whole for a treat dinner :p They're very fatty though so I cut it all off first.

I actually don't know, I didn't weigh it yet just went on what the delivery docket said! EDIT: It's around the 860g mark!

I like the idea of giving it all as a special treat and seeing his eyes widen when I give it to him :D He'll most likely eat some and leave the rest of it.

I'll have to make sure a pesky crow doesn't try steal it, last week he was eating some necks in the garden and started barking like mad (he never barks), there was a big ole crow up on the tree annoying him. Didn't think much of it so when he came in for a drink I left the remaining neck outside for him to go back to. Next thing I see movement from the corner of my eye, look out and there's the ruddy crow making off with it :eek: Ollie didn't see it happen so couldn't figure out what had happened to his food when he went back out :pac:

That's funny - a magpie landed beside Bailey the other week when he was eating ribs. Normally he goes mad if a bird lands on the fence or roof but he blanked it! We brought him in and had him in the the crate to be safe. When I gave the carcasses Bailey dropped his on the ground and ate his veg first lol (sweet potato and green beans) and Lucy was a bit unsure of what to do with it so watched her big bro for a few seconds then tucked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

Bargain House in Dundalk has started stocking Acana and is soon to bring in Taste of the Wild and other brands.

The guy working there told me they also intend to have a freezer for raw diets so I'm assuming frozen meats although they are not planning on stocking nutriment which is a pity.

although they are not planning on stocking nutriment which is a pity.

Does anyone stock nutriment apart from the guy on FB?

It's 16:05 and no sign of my meat order for the doggies I've been waiting for all day... I've nothing for them if it doesn't arrive - no sardines in the house even! :(

Does anyone stock nutriment apart from the guy on FB?

It's 16:05 and no sign of my meat order for the doggies I've been waiting for all day... I've nothing for them if it doesn't arrive - no sardines in the house even! :(

Do you pass an aldi on the way home from work? 1kg of chicken thighs are €2 at the moment. Dunnes have a similar pack but its only 850g for €2.

Do you pass an aldi on the way home from work? 1kg of chicken thighs are €2 at the moment. Dunnes have a similar pack but its only 850g for €2.

It's ok it arrived in the end! Hopefully I'll have my shed and new freezer for my next order and can stock up! :D

Is Nutriment only available in Ireland from shows? I went to order a small amount (just 4kg) from the main site and got a shipping cost of £100 :eek:

I'm not very keen on having to mix up yet another box of mince and organ meat from DogsFirst so looking for an alternative source of prepared raw food that can be delivered, if one exists. I wish the chubbs were back in production.

I get my raw meat from Slaney Pet Foods, and pleased with it.
    The packages of meat are in little 1lb packs, and I can fit more of it into my freezer than I could with the DF chubs. There's pretty good range of meats and bones available from them too.
    It's also better value on many meats even with the postage, particularly if you have space for their bulk orders.

ETA: Here's a link...
    http://www.slaneypetfoods.ie/index.php/products-prices/

Perfect that's exactly what I was looking for thank you!! Great selection of stuff.

I get my raw meat from Slaney Pet Foods, and pleased with it.
    The packages of meat are in little 1lb packs, and I can fit more of it into my freezer than I could with the DF chubs. There's pretty good range of meats and bones available from them too.
    It's also better value even with the postage.

No way the postage is what stops me ordering from him! Are you getting mates rates? :p Last time I was pricing up it was over €20 for delivery(I was filling my huge new freezer so it was a big order) which irks me because he's delivering it himself so imo it should be a flat rate - if it was I'd be buying all my meats from him for convenience of the small packets!

@Cocolola I was talking to him a few weeks ago and he told me the postage for Nutriment is €10 with a courier or if you're in Dublin the Coachman's is the pickup point on Tuesday evenings. Keep an eye on the FB for info on collection points and show offers. https://www.facebook.com/nutrimentireland?fref=ts Do you feed it btw? I got a few chubbs to try a few weeks ago and Lucy wasn't pushed about it... but she was in heat at the time so going to try her with again tomorrow - by coincidence I have a chub defrosting. :)

No way the postage is what stops me ordering from him! Are you getting mates rates? :p Last time I was pricing up it was over €20 for delivery(I was filling my huge new freezer so it was a big order) which irks me because he's delivering it himself so imo it should be a flat rate - if it was I'd be buying all my meats from him for convenience of the small packets!

Weird! Mine is delivered by DPD. I pay €9 for the two boxes of meat I get (usually 35-40kg or so of meat, they're both packed into one polystyrene box), but if you can fit in the bulk orders, the price includes postage and represents really good value!

PS No mate's rates, I don't know him at all!

• Advertisement

@Cocolola I was talking to him a few weeks ago and he told me the postage for Nutriment is €10 with a courier or if you're in Dublin the Coachman's is the pickup point on Tuesday evenings. Keep an eye on the FB for info on collection points and show offers. https://www.facebook.com/nutrimentireland?fref=ts Do you feed it btw? I got a few chubbs to try a few weeks ago and Lucy wasn't pushed about it... but she was in heat at the time so going to try her with again tomorrow - by coincidence I have a chub defrosting. :)

Cheers, I'll drop him a message on FB so and see what the story is. No I've never bought from them before but I'd like to try another supplier other than DF for a while. The little 500g lunch box type things from Nutriment appeal to my lazy side :D

What flavour was it that Lucy wasn't keen on? Ollie can be a bit fussy too but generally is happy with chicken and duck.

Advertisement