Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people here know someone who committed suicide?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

I know of 5 people. 2 were my uncles, 2 were friends with the parents and 1 girl was a year a head of me in school.

I seen my dad attempt suicide at the age 14. We as a family have never really talked about it. I remember bringing him into what was so coldly described as the "mental" hospital at the time, confiding in a friend from school and her telling the whole school like it was some joke.

I am 21 now. I suffer from depression at times mainly stemming from the pressure I am put under my parents. I am the person they both vent to when they are not talking to each other. I have tried to be open about it to "friends" - but I have a lost a group of friends with them saying that I was only using it as an excuse to avoid doing anything with them or to use it as a means of getting attention. The stigma is the most suffocating part of it and its really a time when you get to know who your real friends are.

Have experienced one occasion where I felt suicidal.But managed to pull myself out of it. It was like a "tsunami" of negative thoughts and feelings, hit me all at once - no distraction would do. It soon passed without doing any damage to myself.

I don't blame my parents, but I do strongly agree that the emotional environment your brought up in can be a key contributing factor to ones mental health.

Seen this wonderful 2 part series on Channel 4 on Ruby Wax called "Ruby Wax's Mad Confessions" where she looks at the stigma that is associated with mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Suicide is selfish. I am totally empathetic with people who find themselves in a situation where, like another poster posited, it is an act of desperation and they are not in control of their emotions. But, our lives are inextricably linked and a suicide cannot be taken in isolation. You can't blame the person for committing suicide but the ramifications go far beyond taking their own life - they often take dozens of others with them.

This is not a condemnation of people who committed suicide - its a logical fact.

Just like a murder charge can be struck out in a case of temporary insanity, the charge of selfishness is struck out in a case of suicide (in my book - a case of temporary insanity). The fact remains that in case one you killed someone and in case two you have forever changed the lives of people you love and sometimes left them with as much pain as you had before committing suicide.

Sorry, this is off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Nulty wrote: »
    Suicide is selfish. I am totally empathetic with people who find themselves in a situation where, like another poster posited, it is an act of desperation and they are not in control of their emotions. But, our lives are inextricably linked and a suicide cannot be taken in isolation. You can't blame the person for committing suicide but the ramifications go far beyond taking their own life - they often take dozens of others with them.

This is not a condemnation of people who committed suicide - its a logical fact.

Just like a murder charge can be struck out in a case of temporary insanity, the charge of selfishness is struck out in a case of suicide (in my book - a case of temporary insanity). The fact remains that in case one you killed someone and in case two you have forever changed the lives of people you love and sometimes left them with as much pain as you had before committing suicide.

Sorry, this is off topic

Suicide isn't illogical. Sometimes it is really logical.

From the depressive's point of view, they don't want their family or friends to be sharing the unnecessary burden or stress of being worried about them. The family or friend has enough on their plate to be dealing with than this persons miserableness. They often rationalise, sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly, the suicide as a way of releasing not just their burdens but also the burden of others. Yeah they'll grieve, but which lasts longer and is more detrimental to general health and well being? The grief or the struggle and stress caused by the depressive as s/he keeps on struggling on for years?
    And, in this world, some people truly are alone, there are numerous documented cases of people only found dead when they're rent isn't paid or have overdue energy bills. The amazing thing is for these latter people I can't think of one example of it being a suicide.

Please don't assume all suicides are selfish or illogical. They aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Nulty wrote: »

Sorry, this is off topic

I am not condemning suicidal people either, but it IS selfish in that all of the focus and attention is on the self.
    I posted a link to the video I did (of the man who was in suicidal despair as he was responsible for losing a lot of a friend's money) because it was that very fact.....the fact that indeed it was selfish to want to "check out" as he termed it.....that he was eventually able to admit that and move through his distraught state into something far better.

I too am aware this may be moving too far OT, and if so I apologize and have no problem with it being moved or deleted. It's just such a compelling topic for our country right now that it is difficult not to post things that may help someone in this state of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I made a comment in a previous post on this thread...I always thought I was the one that had soo many questions....between me an ye and the four walls....to this day....I lost my best mate, my drinking buddy...and I never saw the signs....I've only ever had one wish before I lost that friend, and that was to see the pain he was going through, and I never saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

My mother, both her parents (my grandparents) and 3 cousins from that side of the family. 1 of the cousins was this year, mother 4 years ago. Only found out the truth about the grandparents after my mother died. Nasty business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

statss wrote: »
    My mother, both her parents (my grandparents) and 3 cousins from that side of the family. 1 of the cousins was this year, mother 4 years ago. Only found out the truth about the grandparents after my mother died. Nasty business.

God that is a huge lot of grief you have had to deal with condolences to you may they all rest in perfect peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

How many people knew someone who committed suicide?

There fyp!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Spread wrote: »
    How many people knew someone who committed suicide?

There fyp!

Banned

Don't post here after your ban.

Advertisement