Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many people here know someone who committed suicide?

Options
  • 06-09-2012 5:30am
    Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭

Well I know of a few in my home town in the past couple of years and earlier this year a cousin of mine that I went to school with from play school up until 3rd year. We were different people and never really clicked and he went down the the wrong path. I feel sorry for his family tough I say his mother and grandmother for the first time last week and by speaking to them for just a few minutes I knew there were different people. I then started think of all the people I met at my first year in college and almost everyone of them had being effected by a suicide.
    So, how many people out there has affected by a suicide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I've lost a few people to suicide.

I've also attempted suicide. Don't judge. When you're at rock bottom it seems like the only way out.

I'm in counselling now & not suicidal but I'm still losing people to suicide.

Sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I know a couple. It's a bad business.

I doubt there's many who don't know someone who died by suicide. When ya find out it was suicide it's like an extra kick in the nuts in case just finding out they were dead missed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No one that I know very well, and nobody that I can think of acquaintance wise either at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

One of my cousins a few years back, was a year older than me, which shocked me alot more. You don't know what frame of mind these people are in unless you have been there yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Young lad who worked with me. Only 17 and he was found swinging from the ceiling . I wish I copped on that he was so depressed . Was stairing me in the face but I choose to ignore it.
    I cant forget him after 6 years.

Its a bad selfish act which leaves nothing but lifelong pain for parents, family and friends.

Nasty stuff.

I once saved a lad trying to leap of a bridge . Over a woman. He went on to be quite successful in life. But does not know me..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

I lost a cousin to suicide, absolutely no idea as they seemed as cheerful as ever in the days before. It just shows you don't know what thought are running through peoples heads or how they are really feeling inside. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

gsxr1 wrote: »

Its a bad selfish act which leaves nothing but lifelong pain for parents, family and friends.
    And the parents often blame themselves for what has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Young lad who worked with me. Only 17 and he was found swinging from the ceiling . I wish I copped on that he was so depressed . Was stairing me in the face but I choose to ignore it.
    I cant forget him after 6 years.

Nasty stuff.

I wouldn't agree that it's bad or selfish.

Of course it's a horrendous thing to deal with, for those left behind. But it's not done with the intention of causing that sort of pain to family/friends.

I can't even imagine being in so dark a place, that ending my life would seem to be the preferable option. It's horrific to think the amount of mental pain and suffering you'd have to have gone through to get to that point.

I would think that, to be at such a low point, you'd be in so much pain that you wouldn't even be able to quite get your head around the extent of the grief that would result from your death. It's not an act of selfishness, moreso of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I've lost one friend and a friend's brother to suicide, recently a close friend of mine lost a former colleague.

All young guys in their 20s.

I read recently however (and please don't take this as me diminishing the prevalence or the devastating impact of suicide) that an estimated 30% of male hanging suicides are auto-erotic hangings gone bad. So not all apparent suicides are intentional.

Source here

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree that it's bad or selfish.

Whatever about the reasons or intentions are the act itself is the most selfish act anyone can ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I had a cousin that killed herself about ten years ago.

I wasn't too close to her (she lived in a different part of the country) but I know her family still haven't recovered from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I hate this attitude that it is a selfish act. A lot of people kill themeselves because they feel they are a burden to their loved ones and feel killing themeselves will help other people as they wont see them depressed and miserable no longer.

That was certainly the case when I attempted suicide back in april, because I felt a failure to my parents and didn't want them to see the failure that was me and felt like me being no longer around they wouldn't have to put up the pain with seeing me cry anymore. Since then I have had therapy which is ongoing but I'm no means out of the clear though.

The problem with depressed people, and I speak as this to myself, is that a lot of suicidal people aren't thinking rationally in the first place so its not really fair to judge them in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Nasty stuff.

Its opinions like this that leaves suicide and depression such a taboo in our society. This needs to change before people can feel comfortable asking for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have known a few, Very sad as in the cases I know of it was totally unexpected, and to this day no obvious reason comes to mind,Figures show 525 people took their own lives in Ireland in 2011, an increase of 7 per cent on the previous year.Bearing in mind that up to 80 per cent of those who die by suicide are suffering from a mental health difficulty, this neglect of mental health services is nothing short of scandalous,”

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sucides%20in%20ireland%202011&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Fnumber-suicides-ireland-cso-517632-Jul2012%2F&ei=PDpIUMWmMMK7hAfB2oCABg&usg=AFQjCNEOgnd6pgW8j7BNeek1V_TSqcjt-w

The Samaritans are available at 1850 60 90 90 or by email at jo@samaritans.org. Other contact numbers which may be helpful: Aware – 1890 303 302; Console – 1800 201 890; Pieta House – 01 601 0000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

It's an act of desperation and despair, I wouldn't be so judgemental as to it call it selfish. You have to factor in mental illness. The majority of people who commit suicide are suffering from mental illnesses such as clinical depression, personality disorder and schizophrenia. Suicidal thoughts are often systems of these illnesses. Without an underlying mental health problem it's very unlikely that someone would commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I knew an Easter European person living in Ireland many years ago - he was about 7 foot tall and was built like a tank. And he worked every day for his Irish employer doing all sorts of jobs - when I say work, the man was seriously a hard worker - he would put up entire kitchens in one day and stuff like that. At the same time, he was a big softie too - simple and straight forward sort of guy. He had relationship issues simmering away at the back boiler for many years, can't see his daughter enough etc. He used to talk to me about it time to time. I then move away from that town and lost touch with him for a few years. And recently I heard that he committed suicide. I am going to be forever guilty for not doing more for him. He deserved better. RIP old friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

When I was in 3rd year in secondary school a guy in my class committed suicide.. He was one of the best looking guys in our school. 15.

A year later a 16 year old boy killed himself too. And a group of lads in my year had to stop another lad from throwing himself in front of a lorry. He was 17.

Every year in my old secondary school there's at least one. It's a real issue.

My aunt tried numerous times to kill herself after miscarriages.

Edit:

Can't believe I forgot this one. My sisters boyfriend killed himself when she tried to break up with him. She got blamed for it and still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

i know a lot that did it. a lot of people seem to think its selfish but i think its selfish of those people to expect someone in that frame of mind to keep living just to keep everyone else happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I have had three people within in a half a km radius commit suicide within a couple of weeks of each other a couple of months.

The two men were middle aged with families and they were friends!

The woman was pregnant!

They all must have been suffering immensely to have taken that final step.

Awful pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I knew a lad who killed himself. This was 10 years ago. I wasn't a close friend or anything but we went to the same school. He was around 14/15. I think he killed himself on St. Patrick's Day. From what I've heard, he asked his mother what time the dinner would be ready and then just went upstairs and shot himself.

I don't think anyone knows why he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

maybe 6-8 people i knew over the years
    closer to home my sister was victim in murder-suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Most recently.... Neighbour.

It was not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

One.

Gods, he was a selfish twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I know 2 people that committed suicide in the last 9 months. One of them, a young man only a couple of weeks ago. Again, depression was the main factor. So sad for his family who are suffering so much now. We will never know what was going through his mind on the run up to his death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No close friends or relatives, but know two who did.

This is the worst thread to open first thing in the morning. My porridge is ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

My first cousin committed suicide when he was 19 after failing some exams and didn't want to put his family through the hurt of paying for the repeat fees. If only he knew the hurt he was going to put them through.

His 30 year old brother then committed suicide 16 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I lost a cousin to suicide, absolutely no idea as they seemed as cheerful as ever in the days before. It just shows you don't know what thought are running through peoples heads or how they are really feeling inside. So sad.

I think this is the worst part of suicide, where everything seems normal and the person seems outwardly happy days or even hours before the event. It always puts a question in the minds of those who knew them, "could I have done or said something?".

It always amazes me that there are no adverts about suicide prevention. We're told to belt up in cars, don't smoke, drink wisely but nothing ever about suicide. I don't know and wouldn't begin to imagine what feelings are stirred right in the moments before someone decides "this is it" but in my naievity I wonder would a campaign to "Take One More Day" or "Make One More Phone Call" be of any benefit. Obviously this needs people who've been there to advise and a few marketing moguls to put together. I'm just saying it wouldn't not help now would it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I heard of a guy in my college who committed suicide. He had no friends and everyone just used to ignore him. Then everyone in his class showed up for his funeral.

It made me wonder about people. I see how engrossed people can be in their lives, with their group of friends, i rarely see people in my college willing to reach out to others and make new friends. Even if they do, they may talk to them in college but will never bother inviting them to anything or make them a part of their social group.

I have to say the Irish are some of the worst at this. There are very few Irish kids i see who are willing to reach out and speak to, be friends with the foreign folks. Most of them jut stick to themselves and if the person isn't into the whole going out/drinking scene, then he's very much left out of the whole social scene. Which i what i really hate about the people in my college that is you aren't into going out every other day and getting plastered, then you will have absolutely no social life and will end up very much left out with no friends.

It seems like if you're in college here, the only way to be acceptible and have a social life is to go out partying with "the crowd" and get drunk every other day. If you don't do that, very quickly you'll find yourself with no friends and no social life whatsoever...

Just an observation through my years in college...

Advertisement