Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Messing" Forum off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

"What am I on"

Do you think they regreat this add now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The thread title on the A/R forum "new to running" cracks me up. Didn't we all learn to run as a kid...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

BennyMul wrote: »
    "What am I on"

Do you think they regreat this add now :D

I will honestly never tire of this. At least my friends and family don't think I'm crazy / paranoid anymore.
    OK maybe I still am, but at least I'm right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

catweazle wrote: »
    Yes and Nike even put the boot in which I didn't think would happen

Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him."Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance-enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer."

I think this has been the biggest blow to Lance yet as Nike has previous when it comes to supporting tainted athletes

They will have to keep an extra eye out for Tiger now and his penchant for blondes to keep him on the straight and narrow.

In life or on the course........he seems to have more problems with the course at the moment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Where is everyone?

Hello ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Where is everyone?

Hello ?

We're all such focused triathletes that we don't have time for off topic thoughts. It's SBR 24/7!!

Or I could ask for advice for stag do destinations and how I can fit it in round the early tri season and before mid june.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    We're all such focused triathletes that we don't have time for off topic thoughts. It's SBR 24/7!!

Or I could ask for advice for stag do destinations and how I can fit it in round the early tri season and before mid june.

I thought it was more before the mods were kn0bs :)

tunney wrote: »

Mmmmhhhhh
    GMQJ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

At least that BetterThanHoyte kn0b is gone!

BTH wrote: »

You need a pre-stag, stag to check out potential locations.

• Advertisement

At least that BetterThanHoyte kn0b is gone!

ah yes but the tunney one is still around....

@AKW Im over here in the corner ogling hoochies and pea shooting people who pay people to fix punctures... Most folk are probably cultivating brownie points to train for a summer ironman or shadowman or monkeyman...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ah yes but the tunney one is still around....

@AKW Im over here in the corner ogling hoochies and pea shooting people who pay people to fix punctures... Most folk are probably cultivating brownie points to train for a summer ironman or shadowman or monkeyman...

Though yesterday's puncture was fixed for free. I was a damsel in distress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Here's a workplace dilemma for anyone with commuting experience

Option 1 to Dublin.
    5 hour daily commute involving 30min drive, 1.5hours on train, 45min run/(or 25min cycle) to work. Reverse on way home except swop lift for run/cycle part.
    Dept home 6:30am. Return home 7pm

Option 2 to Cork.
    3+ hour daily commute involving 1.5+hours driving each way (timing is traffic/weather dependent).
    Dept home 7am. Return home 7pm

The train section in Option 1 would be less tiring than the driving in Option 2. The train would also allow for some working to balance shortened office time.
    Option 1 would allow for a daily run which I believe I'd enjoy :rolleyes:

Also is training and/or 'normal' life compatible with any of the above?

With Option 1 the problem would be what happens the bike?

If you cycle in and have a lift back, where does the bike stay? You'd have to run in the next day to get the bike to cycle back that evening and then where is the bike overnight? At the train station? For the next morning etc

Its like the boat with the chicken and the fox.

Personally I'd prefer the first option as you can work on the train (free wifi) and nap if necessary.

RedB wrote: »

Option 1 to Dublin.
    5 hour daily commute involving 30min drive, 1.5hours on train, 45min run/(or 25min cycle) to work. Reverse on way home except swop lift for run/cycle part.

Option 2 to Cork.
    3+ hour daily commute involving 1.5+hours driving each way (timing is traffic/weather dependent).

The train section in Option 1 would be less tiring than the driving in Option 2. The train would also allow for some working to balance shortened office time.

Theres got to be an Option 3? Personally I wouldn't contemplate either, both look particularly nasty, but I know thats not always possible. At least you're used to being tired all the time. Unfortunately this time there'll be no rewarding race at the end.

Adding to that, obviously not knowing your line of work, there is nothing better to end you day than to say you have a train to catch. If you are driving the temptation is always there to stay another 30 mins / hour etc to finish something off. Avoiding sitting in traffic becomes an excuse.

A commute driving that long, don't underestimate the effect the distance will have as opposed to time, will become an obstacle. The train at least will motivate you to get up and go at the end of the day, hope that makes sense.

hands up who wants snow this winter... ?

@RedB - commuting by train infinitely more ideal. As mentioned, you can sleep, study, work, stare at someone, do your 15 minute mash up challenge etc...

I lived and worked in Japan in another life and was constantly amazed how people could fall fast asleep standing up and wake up at their stop!

Anyone know how to turn that stupid monkey noise ad off permanently. :mad:

Also, would it be wrong to buy this?

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360058936/lazer-o2-helmet-12-flashyellow.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7

Anyone know how to turn that stupid monkey noise ad off permanently. :mad:

Become a subscriber. What monkey noise?

Actually there was a thread about it somewhere in Sys yesterday.

Become a subscriber. What monkey noise?

Actually there was a thread about it somewhere in Sys yesterday.

I was a subsceiber for years then got a new credit card and never updated and I got banned from the ladies lounge so I was bitter at the time :D The Ad's are a right pain in the hole.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804960

Apparently it's in the process of being blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804960

Apparently it's in the process of being blocked.

Adblock for chrome, firefox, etc. Works a treat.

Become or be nice to the mods, give and get good advice to the forums you're into; thats plenty for Boards kharma. No real need to click ads and drive corporate profits. Can't see Boards lasting too much longer if they keep going down the "in-your-face" ads route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

RedB wrote: »

Option 1 to Dublin.

Option 2 to Cork.

Have you looked at cost options for both, that could also be a deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I do the option 2, Carlow - Dublin return daily. Leave at 7.30ish but can be home by 6.30 - important to get home early when you have small kids. You get used to it but it is expensive diesel wise - €125 a week. That said I would suggest its better than relying on public transport where you are at the mercy of trains running and running on time. I've been at it 7 years and if I could I'd work closer to home but it's hard get a comparable job outside of Dublin. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Now Cavendish is at it, they're all copying me

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-in-collision-with-car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

out running last night in the sticks, pitch blck and I meet another runner we see each other and I say hi (what else would you do) and they put the head down and say nothing. why ohhh why be rude.

and then two fecking houses with christmas trees up, its too early :mad:

vent over I feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

BennyMul wrote: »
    out running last night in the sticks, pitch blck and I meet another runner we see each other and I say hi (what else would you do) and they put the head down and say nothing. why ohhh why be rude.

and then two fecking houses with christmas trees up, its too early :mad:

vent over I feel better

It's like when you'r out on your TT bike, other 'serious' cyclists wont say hello to you. If you're on a proper road bike they will. Maybe they fell intimidated by triathletes :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

griffin100 wrote: »
    It's like when you'r out on your TT bike, other 'serious' cyclists wont say hello to you. If you're on a proper road bike they will. Maybe they fell intimated by triathletes :D
    When I wear my club colours other cyclists ignore me. When I wear plain cycling gear, I get asked to tag onto the group. Now, is my club gear just plain ugly, or what?? :p

And the Christmas thing. It. Is. Not. Christmas. Yet.

Bah humbug.

It's like when you'r out on your TT bike, other 'serious' cyclists wont say hello to you. If you're on a proper road bike they will. Maybe they fell intimated by triathletes :D

Intimated?

What do you be doing with your TT bike? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

From what I hear, they think triathletes are a crash waiting to happen :D

Advertisement