Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you cringe when people use the C word?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,654 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

awec wrote: »
    Doesn't make it disrespectful.

As far as I can make out its all about promiscuity and violence. There's not a whole lot of respect for oneself or others in proposing to kill someone and steal their girlfriend, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

Oh for goodness sake. You are reading far too much in to it. Far too much.

Who needs Naomi Wolf to tell us what to think when we have you :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Disrespectful?
    Spelled G a n g s t a S h i t e.:D
    Oh for goodness sake. You are reading far too much in to it. Far too much.
    Yes and no. It is sexually aggressive, with a sniff of homophobia and more than a hint of caps been put in "niggas" asses. Though like I said typical gangsta shíte that suburban white America laps up as cool, so par for the course. Public Enemy it ain't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

The author of that book and article is being interviewed by Sean Moncrieff on newstalk in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The author of that book and article is being interviewed by Sean Moncrieff on newstalk in a bit.

Have I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She can't shut up. :D

There was actually quite a bit of interesting stuff in the conversation. I'm sure it will be on Newstalk website later.

I'm trying to call my BF to inform him that cleaning the dishes and putting your dirty socks in washing basket is actually part of a fore play for women. The bastard is not answering his phone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've been in the company of people who use it constantly but they have no idea how I feel about it, because I don't mention it. I hate it, I never use it and I think its used so often and so casually that its losing most of its original impact.

There was another thread in another forum a while back about swearing. One poster said a woman in his workplace would cringe when he said the word. He responded to her taking offence by following her around all day, repeating it in her face, non stop. That post got many thanks.

Personally I think he was obnoxious, but the thankers obviously felt it was praiseworthy that he used it to *deliberately* offend and harass someone else, solely because she found it offensive.

Its interesting how language divides us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

fits wrote: »
    Has noone posted the Azealia Banks song yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk

Dis is de new ting now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Giselle wrote: »
    I've been in the company of people who use it constantly but they have no idea how I feel about it, because I don't mention it. I hate it, I never use it and I think its used so often and so casually that its losing most of its original impact.

There was another thread in another forum a while back about swearing. One poster said a woman in his workplace would cringe when he said the word. He responded to her taking offence by following her around all day, repeating it in her face, non stop. That post got many thanks.

Personally I think he was obnoxious, but the thankers obviously felt it was praiseworthy that he used it to *deliberately* offend and harass someone else, solely because she found it offensive.

Its interesting how language divides us.

Don't remember what sort of a place they worked in? If it's true I'd be interested to know but there's more than a whiff of BS about that story. "I'm essentially going to take the day off to follow this woman around saying c*nt over and over". At best it's exaggerated, I mean who the fcuk does that? It's just weird if nothing else.

mackg wrote: »
    Don't remember what sort of a place they worked in? If it's true I'd be interested to know but there's more than a whiff of BS about that story. "I'm essentially going to take the day off to follow this woman around saying c*nt over and over". At best it's exaggerated, I mean who the fcuk does that? It's just weird if nothing else.

It wasn't so much the obvious BS, since I don't think he'd have hung onto his job for long if he bullied someone so openly for so long, it was the thanks that it got.

As if this was somehow to be applauded, or that he was defending free speech by getting as many c-nts out as possible. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It wasn't so much the obvious BS, since I don't think he'd have hung onto his job for long if he bullied someone so openly for so long, it was the thanks that it got.

As if this was somehow to be applauded, or that he was defending free speech by getting as many c-nts out as possible. :)

If it was in the forum I suspect it was, I wouldn't pay the blindest bit of attention to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

mackg wrote: »

Presumably someone on thread called him out as a complete arsehole for it? I don't think you'd find many or any people justifying bizarre and juvenile behaviour like that.

yekahS wrote: »
    Presumably someone on thread called him out as a complete arsehole for it? I don't think you'd find many or any people justifying bizarre and juvenile behaviour like that.

Its a while ago now, and as I say the most bizarre thing about it was the thanks it got.

I think pulling someone up on a bit of a rant might not have been allowed in that forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

A woman acting aggressively might be called a bitch while a man acting meekly is called the same thing.
    Then that is homophobic since it clearly makes a link between being gay and being submissive.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Er, not it's not, it's deriding him for having perceived feminine qualities.

While Pickarooney clearly knows what he wants to say, I can see Flowerchild's point Honey.

Bítch

Slang - a convict who is in a homosexual relationship and/or dominant relationship willingly or unwillingly in the prison setting: The new inmate was immediately forced to be the bitch of the prison's top dog.

Just one more interesting aspect to this discussion, I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭fits

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Dis is de new ting now, is it?

Must be. To be honest I've no friggin clue what its about. Great fun to dance about to all the same. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

fits wrote: »
    Must be. To be honest I've no friggin clue what its about. Great fun to dance about to all the same. :D

I made the mistake of looking at the 'translation' on rapgenius.com I would have been better off letting it go over my head tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LittleBook wrote: »
    While Pickarooney clearly knows what he wants to say, I can see Flowerchild's point Honey.

Just one more interesting aspect to this discussion, I think. :)

I wouldn't consider someone who was repeatedly, forcibly raped by a man to be homosexual, to be honest, and I certainly wouldn't extrapolate that to apply to gay men in a loving, equal relationship or any consenting sexual encounter, which, I would hope, most are.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider someone who was repeatedly, forcibly raped by a man to be homosexual, to be honest, and I certainly wouldn't extrapolate that to apply to gay men in a loving, equal relationship or any consenting sexual encounter, which, I would hope, most are.

Of course not. But I think Flowerchild was thinking of the derogatory use of the term outside of a prison scenario and the implications of that particular use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I use "bitch" all the time. Whether or not its in relation to me referring to someone as a bitch, or referring to myself "bitching" about other people. Obviously I can only speak for myself, however when I say "Oh my god, she was such a bitch last night" I don't mean "Oh my god, she was such a homosexual submissive weak person last night". I mean, ya know, she was out of line, mean even.

Not every single person is going to refer to oxfords dictionary before calling someone a name. Stop overthinking things, you'll drive yourself nuts.

I use "bitch" all the time. Whether or not its in relation to me referring to someone as a bitch, or referring to myself "bitching" about other people. Obviously I can only speak for myself, however when I say "Oh my god, she was such a bitch last night" I don't mean "Oh my god, she was such a homosexual submissive weak person last night". I mean, ya know, she was out of line, mean even.

Not every single person is going to refer to oxfords dictionary before calling someone a name. Stop overthinking things, you'll drive yourself nuts.

Relax. You've just agreed with the (minor) point I was making, that the exact same word can have different meanings for different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No. I use it myself. I know it's slang for vagina but I doubt people have that in their head when saying it - the same way people don't have "penis" in their head when they say "knob" or sexual intercourse when they say "fuk". Unless in those contexts obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/her-twist-in-the-knickers-20120914-25wyh.html

Her twist in the knickers

GERMAINE GREER September 15, 2012

VAGINA: A NEW BIOGRAPHY
    By Naomi Wolf
    Virago, $29.99

THE nastiest name ever to be given to the female sex organ is ''vagina''. ''Vagina'' is Latin for ''scabbard'' or ''sword sheath''. A scabbard is owned by the same person as owns the sword that it exists to house. The word is more, not less, offensive because it is doctor-speak. There is a word for the female sex organ, a magical word. To hear it said makes strong men flinch; to hear it said by a woman unleashes pandemonium. It is the last sacred word in English, so I shall not debase it by using it here.

Vagina: A New Biography is largely a biography of Naomi Wolf herself. We learn that ''due to a medical crisis'' she had ''a revelatory experience''. The medical crisis consisted in her finding that, though she was still having very satisfactory clitoral orgasms with her partner, she was no longer experiencing the psychedelic effects of satisfactory sex.

Instead of lighting up a spliff, Wolf did something most American women could not afford to do. She went to her gynaecologist, who sent her for an MRI and a visit to New York's ''pelvic nerve man'', who sent her to a neurosurgeon, who put ''a 17-inch metal plate with a set of attached metal joints into her lower back''.

If it sounds like snake oil, it probably is snake oil, in this case phenomenally costly snake oil. A five-figure medical bill can be shown to have a marked therapeutic effect, as can a judicious dose of torture. Wolf recovered completely, even got her psychedelic orgasms back, except that, as she can no longer ''turn [her] spine completely'', she can no longer play tennis or do some kinds of dancing.

The problem was that Wolf's vagina had become disconnected from her brain, because ''the pelvic nerve was entrapped and compressed, and the signals from one of its several branches were blocked from moving up [her] spinal cord to her brain''. (All parts of the human body are connected to the brain, as you'd know if you dropped a hammer on your little toe.)

If it sounds like snake oil, it probably is snake oil, in this case phenomenally costly snake oil. A five-figure medical bill can be shown to have a marked therapeutic effect, as can a judicious dose of torture. Wolf recovered completely, even got her psychedelic orgasms back, except that, as she can no longer ''turn [her] spine completely'', she can no longer play tennis or do some kinds of dancing.

She could still experience orgasm - but put herself through that?

I'm amazed she found a surgeon to perform that procedure on the grounds that her orgasm was compromised tbh. Its not like she lost all sexual enjoyment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I'm kind of intrigued. What's the magical word for vagina that is so special the author didn't want to debase it by printing it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suspect the word in the title?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Heh. :) I've a lot of time for GG, even when I'm ranting at the page I still have a lot of time for her. Way more than Wolf with her Woody Allenesque wooly thinking and background.
    She could still experience orgasm - but put herself through that?

I'm amazed she found a surgeon to perform that procedure on the grounds that her orgasm was compromised tbh. Its not like she lost all sexual enjoyment.
    Maybe she did have a crushed nerve in her back. It does happen and happens often and it would not beyond the bounds of possibility by any means that such an injury might deaden sexual response in odd ways. That said, although the US can lay claim to one of the best medical services in the world, that service comes at a price and because of the prices some well dubious procedures can be on the surgical table too. A case of if you have the cash you'll find a some doctor somewhere that will operate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Wibbs wrote: »
    Heh. :) I've a lot of time for GG, even when I'm ranting at the page I still have a lot of time for her. Way more than Wolf with her Woody Allenesque wooly thinking and background.

+1

Even when I'm in complete disagreement with Germaine Greer I always find her informed and I like her no BS attitude.

I feel like I could have a conversation with her. I don't know much about Naomi Wolf, but I don't feel like that about her.

Advertisement