Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

The saga that began with Marvel's The Avengers continues on television. Coming soon to ABC! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZE3W1SF_Q&feature=youtu.be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The saga that began with Marvel's The Avengers continues on television. Coming soon to ABC! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZE3W1SF_Q&feature=youtu.be

FYP :)

There will be a 30 second promo during the UOAT season finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Looks promising.

FYP :)

There will be a 30 second promo during the UOAT season finale.

Is there any chance you could stop using acronyms and actually say what the shows are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is there any chance you could stop using acronyms and actually say what the shows are?

I believe he means "once upon a time", but that would be OUAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭spartacus815

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well as a pilot it certainly looks flashy enough, but tbh whilst I enjoyed Agent Coulson as a character, I do find it just a tad weak that they've brought him back from the dead purely out of fan pressure. Resurrection is hardly a new concept in comics - death is just a revolving door now in that world - but it's a shame those charged with creating the live-action adaptations didn't take the opportunity to instill a little permanence in their mythologies (not to mention his return completely undercuts the films big emotional twist)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Was there not a bit of ambiguity in the movie as to whether he was really dead? Its been a while since I've seen it but I don’t recall that we actually saw his body and as some people pointed out at the time Fury just saying Coulson was dead in order to help motivate the avengers wouldn't have been out of character for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well as a pilot it certainly looks flashy enough, but tbh whilst I enjoyed Agent Coulson as a character, I do find it just a tad weak that they've brought him back from the dead purely out of fan pressure. Resurrection is hardly a new concept in comics - death is just a revolving door now in that world - but it's a shame those charged with creating the live-action adaptations didn't take the opportunity to instill a little permanence in their mythologies (not to mention his return completely undercuts the films big emotional twist)

Have you never seen a Joss Whedon show? He's well able to kill off and resurrect characters in a believable manner...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Class! really looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JohnK wrote: »
    Was there not a bit of ambiguity in the movie as to whether he was really dead? Its been a while since I've seen it but I don’t recall that we actually saw his body and as some people pointed out at the time Fury just saying Coulson was dead in order to help motivate the avengers wouldn't have been out of character for him.

I haven't seen the Avengers since the cinema, but iirc it seemed clear to me that Coulson 'died' onscreen, heck he even died mid-sentence if my memory serves. I believe fans got all in a fluster because Nick Fury used a pack of bloodied trading cards as emotional blackmail, cards that weren't on Coulsons person when he died. Ergo, in the minds of fans, Coulson could have been alive as Fury was lying & manipulating the scenario.
    Have you never seen a Joss Whedon show? He's well able to kill off and resurrect characters in a believable manner...

Equally, he's well able to kill off a (beloved) character and keep them dead, so that the impact it caused remains suitably raw & dramatic :) Heck if anything, Wheadon's more famous for that trick than resurrection!

It's a personal preference, but if there's one thing I absolutely hate about comics in general is that nobody stays dead - death is a meaningless concept; give it long enough and your favorite character will be resurrected, rebooted or retconned back to life, all previous drama and conflict swept under the carpet. So it's a shame to see that bad habit is creeping into their TV & film adaptations because to me, it's fairly creatively bankrupt

I know it's only 30 seconds but that teaser looks very cheap and screams mid 90s genre television.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

JohnK wrote: »

He was dead afaik, then fanb pressure has made them bring him back. THey even had the spear sticking out of him edited out of the film for the european dvd release, comparison of the scene here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=67399

There's no queston he was supposed to be dead imo then they changed their minds.

Still have high hopes for the show, could be a lot fun though the teaser is nothing special.

^ don't care....Coulson was my fave character from the Iron Man movies....besides RDJ, dont care if they ressurected him....he's perfect for a tv format.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^ don't care....Coulson was my fave character from the Iron Man movies....besides RDJ, dont care if they ressurected him....he's perfect for a tv format.

It kind of ruins the whole reason for the Avengers rallying together towards the end to have him not die but I suppose it doesn't really mess up continuity as it just looks like Fury tells a bigger lie than he was originally supposed to. I agree he's a perfect character to build a show around but it cheapens the film a little for me, only a little though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have they confirmed yet that it is the same Coulsen from the films and not some kind of twin/clone/cyborg/alternate universe/past Coulsen time-travelling to the future/hologram/etc.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Have they confirmed yet that it is the same Coulsen from the films and not some kind of twin/clone/cyborg/alternate universe/past Coulsen time-travelling to the future/hologram/etc.

Maybe this is Ultimate Coulson :pac:

I'd nearly prefer a more convoluted excuse because then at least he still dies in the film :D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

The most "Marvelly" type reason would probably be that Nick Fury is being a manipulative git and it was a Life Model Decoy that was killed in Avengers.

Hope they come up with something a bit more satisfying though. But agreed, Clark Gregg was one of the best things about the film, so glad to see him in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Phil is a gas man

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Man it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It actually looks like good fun to watch

chloe bennet is stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought we'd get Lizzy Caplan and Jesse Bradford in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thwip! wrote: »
    Man it looks great

It does look great. Do I dare to hope...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

welcome to level 7,

i could have sworn that was cobie smulders voice in one of the debriefing scenes, maybe shes might be planned to come into the show in season 2 when HIMYM finishes up,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I thought it was Cobie Smulders too. She could possible have a recurring role in season 1 and get bumped up in season 2. Fingers crossed.
    Looks great.
    Happy to see J. August Richards will be in the pilot at least. Hope more of the Whedonverse alum will pop up in it from time to time. ABC clearly have faith in it. It's anchoring a night of all new shows on Tuesdays. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

in before the Nathan Fillion lovers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

syklops wrote: »
    It does look great. Do I dare to hope...?

I'm daring to
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thought we'd get Lizzy Caplan and Jesse Bradford in it.

I was hoping for Caplan :/

• Advertisement

Looks good, could be a great way for them to introduce more obscure Marvel characters to the cinematic universe too.

Advertisement