Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that answers that then - the pilot will be set after the events of The Avengers; so naturally the next question is how Coulson fits in. I guess he's either alive or present in flashback:

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvels-s-h-i-e-l-d-takes-place-after-the-avengers-how-does-agent-coulson-fit-in/
    or a hologram,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

In the Avengers, Fury lied about Colson having the trading cards on him when he died. So its not impossible to think lied about his death as well. Even if Whedon does say he IS dead in the commentary.

Clone anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hmm, Felicia Day, who Joss Whedon lets pop up in various projects of his every now and then, has stopped recording links between segments in her online 'Flog' series because she's involved in a super secret project. Could she be in the SHEILD series?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

When I read this, I nerded all over the floor...

filming has apparently started on the pilot, hopefully some kind of reaction should be heard in the next month or two,

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/22/s-h-i-e-l-d-pilot-starts-filming/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

don ramo wrote: »
    filming has apparently started on the pilot, hopefully some kind of reaction should be heard in the next month or two,

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/22/s-h-i-e-l-d-pilot-starts-filming/

Is there any doubt of a series pickup?....c'mon!, unless it's bad, i'm talking Wonder Woman bad, it's a sure thing :)

Is there any doubt of a series pickup?....c'mon!, unless it's bad, i'm talking Wonder Woman bad, it's a sure thing :)
    with whedon at the helm there is zero chance of anything like that happening,

the big question is if people who are into this will actually watch the show when it does air, a lot of shows like this have struggled, and i cant see this being a cheap show to make,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not guaranteed. Whedon might be the golden child at the moment, but his involvement ensures nothing really: Spielbergs involvement with Terra Nova & Falling Skies didn't prevent both from being cancelled / sub-standard (even if he was merely executive producer on both). Revolution also showed that despite being a hot property in Hollywood, JJ Abrahms mere presence wasn't a guarantee of quality.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's not guaranteed. Whedon might be the golden child at the moment, but his involvement ensures nothing really: Spielbergs involvement with Terra Nova & Falling Skies didn't prevent both from being cancelled / sub-standard (even if he was merely executive producer on both). Revolution also showed that despite being a hot property in Hollywood, JJ Abrahms mere presence wasn't a guarantee of quality.
    it will get a series pick-up, that id say is a guarantee, unless they come back and say its gonna cost $7million an episode like game of thrones, then there is no chance, i think most networks draw the line about the $4million mark,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

So long as he doesn't hire Summer Glau we'll hopefully get a few seasons out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Also helps not being on Fox. They do like to drop the axe on shows early. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

How will people this side of the pond see it? Will we have to watch online or wait till somewhere like Sky picks it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

People just assume that because everyone loved the Avengers that this show has an audience but I wouldn't be so sure. Everybody saw the film but I would wager 99% of the viewing public don't know or care who Whedon is.

Whedon is clever and good at what he does but his involvement doesn't automatically make this a hit or even any good. Whedon had "Valve" like status a few years back with audiences. Even if it got cancelled, it would still be a quality show. You knew going in it was going to be excellent.

He doesn't have that any more. Dollhouse, in my opinion, was quite poor and didn't deserve the second season it got. I hope its good but it will definitely be a "wait and see" show.

Kirby wrote: »
    People just assume that because everyone loved the Avengers that this show has an audience but I wouldn't be so sure. Everybody saw the film but I would wager 99% of the viewing public don't know or care who Whedon is.

Whedon is clever and good at what he does but his involvement doesn't automatically make this a hit or even any good. Whedon had "Valve" like status a few years back with audiences. Even if it got cancelled, it would still be a quality show. You knew going in it was going to be excellent.

He doesn't have that any more. Dollhouse, in my opinion, was quite poor and didn't deserve the second season it got. I hope its good but it will definitely be a "wait and see" show.

its not just about having whedon on-board with this, im glad someone like him is heading up this project, but i don't think hes gonna be in complete charge of the show, his job will be to get it off the ground and then hand the duties off to someone else so he can go and work on phase 2 of the avengers,

the main reason i like that whedon is involved is that he always creates good characters in his shows, he generally doesn't create two dimensional cardboard characters,

his input will most likely be like JJ Abrams input on Fringe, as an executive producer, its highly unlikely it will be like Abrams role on Alias where he was the show-runner, or he could also do what Abrams did on lost, get the show going and then more or less abandon it and pop up randomly to spice it up a bit,

marvel haven't really done much wrong since they went head first into the avengers series, and with phase 2 currently in progress, and most likely a 3rd phase after that, a show like this could end up having interlacing stories for at least 3-5 seasons,

the show has a lot going for it, but i do agree it is questionable if the success of the avengers films on the big screen will translate to the small screen,

networks have struggled to make good high concept action shows the last few years, weve mainly been restricted to shows like Nikita and Arrow on the CW, i would expect this to be a big step up from them shows, as much as i enjoy them i think it time to take it up a level, and i think this is the show that can do it, or get cancelled trying;):p:p:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, well one potential stumbling block in this project may be getting the casual viewers on board & watching. Naturally, there'll be a core comic / geek demographic that'll flock to the show, but part of the Avengers' success was through the precedent of the run-up films and star power. The TV show won't have either of those (that we know of), and if SHIELD is completely divorced from its superhero brethren, those expecting Downey Jr & co. to crack wise for ~60 minutes might turn off once they realise they're not showing up. With that in mind, I'd not be surprised if there were some mid-season cameos to keep people watching.

Update on this & how Agent Coulson is managing to appear on the show: looks like he really is pulling a fast one, and by his other comments the budget may not be too crazy, if indeed it's set among the 'everyday' for agents of SHIELD

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Joss-Whedon-Tells-SXSW-Crowd-...

i was actually expecting some kind of trailer for this show to be floating around by now, they've have the pilot shot a few weeks and i would have thought they'd slap a trailer together for us fans by now,

Then there is a drama pilot with a zero buzz that is all but assured a spot on the schedule, Joss Whedon’s S.H.I.E.L.D. Why isn’t anyone talking about S.H.I.E.L.D.? Because virtually no one has seen it, with Marvel and Whedon keeping the footage under lock and key

Show retitled? http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/04/shield-did-it-get-re-titled.html

Some new casting news, this news suggests its pretty much picked up...i'd say a 13 episode order: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/04/shield-casting-news-j-august-richards.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.

That sounds very much like a kids show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

stevenmu wrote: »
    That sounds very much like a kids show.

I don't know, Marvel's Agents Of Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate has a nice ring to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Oh good, clearly they saw my post above and changed it :) Not a huge improvement, but a little better anyway.

Latest Deadline pilot buzz article has this as a 100% guaranteed pickup :)

Latest Deadline pilot buzz article has this as a 100% guaranteed pickup :)
    was it ever in doubt really:pac::pac::pac:

ABC has ordered Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. to series - in the Thursday 8pm slot....which has been a black hole for years and ABC hope this will turn this timeslot around. I doubt anyone is shocked by this pickup.

By The Power Of Whedon!!

• Advertisement

I much prefer things like that - gives more than enough to whet the appetite without going overboard.

Advertisement