Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Just change your name slightly and/or address.
    Example
    John Smith
    2 The New road
    Balbriggan.

Next time
    J N Smith
    The New Road Number 2
    Co Balbriggan

&

Mr John Norris Smith
    Mr J Norris Smith
    Mr J N A Smith
    etc etc.

All of which will have the same Eircode...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Just change your name slightly and/or address.
    Example
    John Smith
    2 The New road
    Balbriggan.

Next time
    J N Smith
    The New Road Number 2
    Co Balbriggan

&

Mr John Norris Smith
    Mr J Norris Smith
    Mr J N A Smith
    etc etc.

Once the postman knows you, works in a rural area well, remember all you need is that first post of viewing card to get to you. Put in daughters name, wife's name with maiden too. The installer will always ring and ask where you are, and he doesn't give a f#%k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Postcodes won't matter a bit.

If they wanted to stop it or even people who move signing up as a new customer they'd be doing it now already with bank accounts.

What they won't do is same name, address, bank acc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Do Sky ask for your phone number when you sign up for a new account? I cancelled our account a couple of days ago and am going to try going into CPW on Monday.

I'm worried that Sky will ask for a phone number and because we have our broadband/ phone with them separately, they will immediately see that the tv was only cancelled a few days ago.

Do Sky ask for your phone number when you sign up for a new account? I cancelled our account a couple of days ago and am going to try going into CPW on Monday.

I'm worried that Sky will ask for a phone number and because we have our broadband/ phone with them separately, they will immediately see that the tv was only cancelled a few days ago.

Just leave one digit out or mix 2 digits up, then after a few weeks change it on My Sky
    Also, add or takeaway a year from your date of birth, if down the line they ask for security reasons and you forget and give the real DOB, they will just think it was human error.

• Advertisement

I have a sky account and my parents have a sky account. We changed it from my mothers name to my fathers name to get a second year at half price. Same address, same joint bank account and as I organised it for them I used my phone number (which is registered to my own account). Nothing was questioned at any point by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gaving

Use a mobile number they'll take them aswell. We've no landline and I used my mobile number

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gaving

Cancelled today wouldn't offer more than 20%! Will sign up in next day or two again in wife's name

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gaving wrote: »
    Cancelled today wouldn't offer more than 20%! Will sign up in next day or two again in wife's name

Or give your name in Irish and ideally a different bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Hi All,

I must be missing something here as it shows on the CPW website that they are only
    giving away a tablet and nothing to do with Half Price deals.....

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/content/sky-tv-and-broadband/1041

Can anyone shed any further light on this for me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

It is odd BUT this deal is in store only (not online) and you won't get a tablet. So you'll have to ring up or go into the store with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

I rang them today and asked to cancel.
    I thought I was out of contract but it's not up for another month. So they reduced bill from 60 to 53 per month for the same package and no contract.

So I'll be ring again next month to cancel to see what they can do for me.
    60 to 53 was a pityful discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone able to tell me what is the best deal that they'll offer for new signups? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell me what is the best deal that they'll offer for new signups? Cheers.

Best sky will do is half price for six months with free equipment and install.

If you physically go to a CPW store you might still get same but half price sky for 12 months rather than 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I tried signing up though Sky, and was told I'd have to do it in the Carphone Warehouse store. Rang up Carphone Warehouse, and they said it has stopped the offer with a couple of days.

Can someone clarify that this is still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Was talking to them there. They gave me 26 Euro for the current 36 euro deal with HD for 9 months (no contract but rolling month on month). Best quote ever was I said I had 200Mb BB as I was looking to get a cheap bundle if possible. He said "Are ya sure cause I didn't think they make computers that fast". Worth the call for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

rom wrote: »
    Was talking to them there. They gave me 26 Euro for the current 36 euro deal with HD for 9 months (no contract but rolling month on month).

Just rang them there. Got the same deal December bill will be 17.33 and 26 a month after for 9 months. It's technically 54 percent off if you factor in the hd which I really don't need lol. Took the offer.

The lad said that they're not giving the 50 % off anymore cause it's being abused. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was on half price sports + basic pack until Sept past. When giving the months notice all they would offer was 20% off so proceeded with cancelling. 2 days after I was cut off the missus had withdrawal symptoms and got me to ring again so they give me the half price deal again for 6 months.

On my previous offer I also had the multiroom at half price but this time round they wouldn't give me any discount on it so I left it like that. I had to ring them about something else there about 10 days ago so decided to ask about the multiroom again and the agent said she would see if there was an offer and then said yes, she "thought" she could give it to me for half price only to state a couple of minutes later that the system wouldnt allow her as I already had an offer on my account.

So the red mist descended and I told her to cancel the whole shebang. "Hold on for a minute or 2 muffler until I check something else" she says and 2 minutes later my teenage son comes down the stairs and gives me the thumbs up.......multiroom active.

Its amazing what can be done with these so called "systems" when you decide to cancel :)

adam88 wrote: »
    rom wrote: »
    Was talking to them there. They gave me 26 Euro for the current 36 euro deal with HD for 9 months (no contract but rolling month on month).

Just rang them there. Got the same deal December bill will be 17.33 and 26 a month after for 9 months. It's technically 54 percent off if you factor in the hd which I really don't need lol. Took the offer.

The lad said that they're not giving the 50 % off anymore cause it's being abused. Lol

Was that deal a new sign up? or existing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Itsabrack wrote: »
    adam88 wrote: »

Was that deal a new sign up? or existing

Existing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Rang sky yesterday evening to cancel, was offered 11 euro off current package for 3 months only which I declined......then she said to me if I find it too expensive I should cancel the hd as it would make it alot cheaper..I replied cancelling the whole thing will make it even more cheaper and asked to proceed with cancellation, she then gave me the whole loyalty gibberish that I will lose current offer (half price hd) if I change my mind and decide not to cancel, I said in all fairness that's not much of a loyalty offer when you are offering new customers half price packages for 6 months.....she offered nothing more and I got email 5 mins later confirming cancellation.
    it'll be interesting to see will I get a call back before the month is out.....The other half wasn't impressed I cancelled ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Rang sky yesterday evening to cancel, was offered 11 euro off current package for 3 months only which I declined......then she said to me if I find it too expensive I should cancel the hd as it would make it alot cheaper..I replied cancelling the whole thing will make it even more cheaper and asked to proceed with cancellation, she then gave me the whole loyalty gibberish that I will lose current offer (half price hd) if I change my mind and decide not to cancel, I said in all fairness that's not much of a loyalty offer when you are offering new customers half price packages for 6 months.....she offered nothing more and I got email 5 mins later confirming cancellation.
    it'll be interesting to see will I get a call back before the month is out.....The other half wasn't impressed I cancelled ;-)

I'm in the same boat, cancelled last week on behalf of a relative, waiting for a call-back which hasn't happened yet. My relative was with Sky for 15 years and they offered a paltry €10 discount a month while I have 50% off the tv package after previously cancelling and ringing them back to see if they wanted my business or not.

When I cancelled recently I spoke to one chap who told me not to expect any call back whatsoever which is pure bluff on his part. Another fella said that all departments in the call centre were manic busy and that is pure luck whether you get a call-back or not.

You'll get a callback, I will be keeping an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

It gas how sky send in the post how they needed to have a rise in subscription charges this year ......while posting record profits ....No doubt its a decent product but they need to look at their pricing structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Vego wrote: »
    It gas how sky send in the post how they needed to have a rise in subscription charges this year ......while posting record profits ....No doubt its a decent product but they need to look at their pricing structure

And equalise it to the UK prices. We're getting ripped off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Paying more for less! No wonder people want discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

I cancelled recently after nearly 10 years and being offered a €10 reduction on my bill. The service was cut off on the 20th October. No call back,no email, nothing. I rang them to ask when the credit on my account would be refunded to my bank, the conversation was quick and to the point. No new deal offered, no hard sell. So, maybe don't count on a counter offer from them!
    Thinking of getting a friend to sign up as a new customer for me. She already has a Sky account for her own address. Would this be a problem would anyone think?

Do you not have someone else in the house? is your address specific, like a house number? rural or urban?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I cancelled recently after nearly 10 years and being offered a €10 reduction on my bill. The service was cut off on the 20th October. No call back,no email, nothing. I rang them to ask when the credit on my account would be refunded to my bank, the conversation was quick and to the point. No new deal offered, no hard sell. So, maybe don't count on a counter offer from them!
    Thinking of getting a friend to sign up as a new customer for me. She already has a Sky account for her own address. Would this be a problem would anyone think?

I got cut off 29 Sept and was told no more deals all exhausted for you'r account.If they offered me a deal I would prob of stayed but they didn't.3 weeks passed and got email 1/2 price for 9 months.Week after that a letter and a phone call-same offer.Got another phone call Monday.I didn't sign up as I am now happy with FTA and Saorview .But give it time they will ring you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Cyril Squirrel

Itsabrack wrote:
    Do you not have someone else in the house? is your address specific, like a house number? rural or urban?

Just me, urban, specific address.

Advertisement