Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

If you get a second box with the offer will they install a quad lnb?
    Also can this offer be combined with the "introduce a friend" promotion?

They have to to make both boxes work so yes. Quad does 2 boxes i assume.

No idea about the introduce a friend but im gonna have a guess that says no if they get half price but yes if they go full price maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Yep. Tried it earlier in the week. They offered a HD box and €50 credit but nothing on the monthly subscription. Going to cancel my account and see if I can push them as a friend of mine went to cancel and they gave HD for half price for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A relation of mine left them in March but rang again about 3 weeks ago and asked if they would give him an offer to re-subscribe. So they give him the sports pack at half price and HD for €5 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I was paying €86 per month for sports, movies and HD pack and got my bill reduced to €50 from next month for the next 6 months after threatening to cancel.

First phone call was offered 25% discount so I said I would call back. When I did I refused the offer again so was put through to supervisor and he offered me the package for €40 plus €10 for the HD so it only works out €2 more than getting the half price deal here.

In six months time I'll try the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Got it this morning for half price, it's great to have it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

My offer for the entertainment plus package for half price for 6 months is just up so I rang them to see what I could get. They offered me 25% off and I said no way. I told them to go ahead and cancel and they asked for my number to ring me back. They rang me back 10 minutes later with a new offer of 50% off for 6 months, I accepted this and also got the sports and HD packages for 50% off too. It comes to €41.50 a month. I'm happy out with this since I'm not a new customer.

Im in the same boat but my 6 months isnt up until November 2nd so I would have to ring on October 2nd to cancel. This offer is up on September 27th so I might give a ring and threaten to cancel before then and see will I get the offer for another 6 months.

Had you a hd box already? I would be tempted to upgrade if I got a free box and hd for half price, currently have sky+

Just rang to cancel. Got offered a free HD box and a 25% reduction off my subscription for 12 months. I also got HD for €12 a month for 12 months. So my subscription has gone from €29 to €33 but I now have HD which I'm happy with. Not the greatest deal but worth trying.

Im in the same boat but my 6 months isnt up until November 2nd so I would have to ring on October 2nd to cancel. This offer is up on September 27th so I might give a ring and threaten to cancel before then and see will I get the offer for another 6 months.

Had you a hd box already? I would be tempted to upgrade if I got a free box and hd for half price, currently have sky+

Ye I have the HD box.

rhonin wrote: »
    Just rang to cancel. Got offered a free HD box and a 25% reduction off my subscription for 12 months. I also got HD for €12 a month for 12 months. So my subscription has gone from €29 to €33 but I now have HD which I'm happy with. Not the greatest deal but worth trying.

You really should have turned down their first offer and waited for them to offer 50% off.

• Advertisement

You really should have turned down their first offer and waited for them to offer 50% off.

I did but he said that was the best he could do and that he would proceed with the cancellation. I wasn't brave enough to call his bluff!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

The Misses Just rang them and got the 12 months 1/2 price :)

€25 taken today and they then take 12.50 off your bill for first 2 months so first 2 months will only be about €4,

Thanks OP

rhonin wrote: »
    I did but he said that was the best he could do and that he would proceed with the cancellation. I wasn't brave enough to call his bluff!

You would have got a call back a while later with the 50% off.

Everyone should call their bluff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Media999 wrote: »
    Everyone should call their bluff :D

Yes, because then you could experience this...!

I called earlier in the week in an attempt to get this offer - or to be honest, ANY offer, as I told them I wanted to upgrade to HD and Sky Sports - but as an existing customer was offered NOTHING. Not even half price for a month/week/hour. Sweet fanny adams. After happily listening to the sky rep tell me how much they valued my good custom over the last several years, I said that OK, I'd just have to cancel as I'm out of contract, and get someone else in the house to ring and order the deal... so please can we just skip that? No. Then: "once you're disconnected you have to wait 12 months to get re-connected at the same address".

:rolleyes:

Spent an hour on the phone. Called Sales, Cancellations, Customer Service and Cancellations again. Each time having to hang up and call back because I couldn't be transferred (at one point was told "we're very busy here" - what? you're so busy that you can't TRANSFER ME TO ANOTHER TEAM?!? Wow, that's a whole new frikking level of busy! (oh I hope that was the cancellations department)), and the department I was talking to wasn't the one that could offer me any kind of discount on my proposed upgrade or current package. Was EVENTUALLY offered €6 off. :rolleyes: Asked to speak to a supervisor and was told "there isn't a supervisor currently on the floor".

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Was even told at one point by someone in Sales dept that "the offer's only for the person it's addressed to, so as an existing customer I'm afraid we can't give you the same offer" (OP, tell me it says this on the offer you got! Go on!) followed by "we would only send out ten or fifteen of those offers a month".

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Uh-huh. I'll buy that. And some magic beans, please.

So after all that, a long-standing customer is about to leave Sky in 30 days' time.

Then I get home today to a letter from Mr Head of Sales and Marketing. "If there's anything we can do to change your mind, give us a call". Sorry, tried that.

So, boardsies... bearing in mind my aim is to get HD and Sky Sports in time for the Ryder Cup, what are my options?
    • Call them back tomorrow and see if I get lucky talking to someone who takes sympathy and offers me SOMETHING to upgrade rather than leave?
    • Get the other half to call about the amazing half price offer she's just received?
    • Or just go back to UPC and upgrade my Broadband and Phone pack to include TV, HD and Sky Sports? (I tried to avoid UPC for TV... but...)

Cast your votes, please :)

Did you actually say straight up your gonna cancel so someone else can sign up and get the deal? Probably not a good idea.

Whole point is that you just do it without letting them know.

Id say heres your option.

Do option 1 first using option 3 as a bargaining tool. Say you rang UPC and they offered you the lot for XXX amount but you would rather stay with Sky. Usually the person on the phone will want the commission unless you say something that there already warned about.Theres a good possibility that theyve been told that if anyone calls and say their partner is gonna resignup that they have to throw you that line about 12 months. maybe you forced their hand a bit.

I think its bollix for the reason that someone can move into a new house and the person before them didnt pay a bill or whatever. Theyre not gonna refuse the new tenant sky.

Get partner to ring in maiden name or whatever and reorder the 1/2 price. Say "She just moved in" and "previous tenant left dish here" but no box and get a new box aswell.

Or

Take down the dish, get a new dish and box and flog the other on donedeal. Youll know exactly when engineer is coming so get the ladder out the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Butterball

When hubsband was on the phone to them he never mentioned partner subscribing- but he was told 2 or 3 times while on the the line to different reps about no installation in same residence for 12 months! :eek: So now we have to move house to get a new installation of Sky- but it will be so worth it!!!;) Half price for year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Butterball wrote: »
    When hubsband was on the phone to them he never mentioned partner subscribing- but he was told 2 or 3 times while on the the line to different reps about no installation in same residence for 12 months! :eek: So now we have to move house to get a new installation of Sky- but it will be so worth it!!!;) Half price for year!!!
    Has to be a scare tactic.
    Media999 wrote: »
    Did you actually say straight up your gonna cancel so someone else can sign up and get the deal? Probably not a good idea.
    Only after asking nicely several times for some kind of deal and being offered nothing whatsoever. Meh, what can they do? Turn away new business as well as existing? Good luck to them if that's the case.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, I'll see what UPC can do tomorrow, go back to Sky once more, see what transpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Must be some pain in the ass for sky all the same. I actually feel sorry for them.................. NOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Does this include half price Multiroom and HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Thanks OP!
    This is one of the best Bargain Alerts in ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DylanII wrote: »
    Does this include half price Multiroom and HD?

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Is that true that if you do cancel you can't sign up at same residence for 12 months? Surely that's horse****? what if you move into a house that just disconnected??

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

^^^ Horse ****.

My mate cancelled sky the day I told him about this offer.

His missus rang up the next day and ordered the half price offer. They just asked how long are you resident at the address and she said she was only moving in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

how does it work logistically? There is currently sky in house under diff name, so I can ring and get new offer no prob, but when should the other party cancel it so as we dont lose the connection for a period ?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

I was told there was a one off charge for multi room of €30
    & €15 per month.

Anyone manage to get these half price or reduced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ODriscoll wrote: »
    & €15 per month.

Who told you that? AFAIK there is little enough chance that they will reduce the multiroom charge. But you can always haggle........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ODriscoll wrote: »
    & €15 per month.

Look back the thread. Some did get it for half. You dont ask - you dont get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

davenewt wrote: »
    So, boardsies............... what are my options?
    If its any help I had a similar type experience just over 2 years ago. I rang in and cancelled and was never made an offer. After about a month of reading about the various offers people had been getting (satellite forum) I rang and complained that they hadn't made me an offer yet other people were being "looked after". I know that was a lame excuse but I had been with them over 10 years at this stage - mostly in my own name but a couple of years were in the wife's name.

Anyhow the girl says she would talk to her supervisor and call me back later. She didnt and I rang the following day and got a different girl but with the same story that she would call back after talking to her supervisor.

I waited 3 days and no calls. So I rang again and at this point I then had 2 complaints - no offer made and reps failing to call me back. So I insisted on speaking to a supervisor from the outset and got a lovely woman who give me the sports pack at half price and threw the movies in for €2/month extra.

I was tied to a new 12 month contract and she told me that if I changed the package at any time during the 12 months then I would loose the offer.

So my advice would be to ring tomorrow and ask to speak to a supervisor as you have a complaint about the customer service and just outline what you have told us above. Just say that you are being victimised as everyone else who goes to cancel is getting an offer and that the staff below her failed to give you the same offer.

Maybe pull the old "is it because Im Irish Im being treated like this" card in the middle of the conversation if things aren't going in your favour. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Access wrote: »
    Look back the thread. Some did get it for half. You dont ask - you dont get. smile.png

No doubt about that.
    Who told you that? AFAIK there is little enough chance that they will reduce the multiroom charge. But you can always haggle........
    Rep on the phone said.

How about the €30 one off charge. Unless I missed it, I do not see anyone else, (even those who have posted about multi room) mention it.

Is the €30 one off charge for multi room correct?

• Advertisement

Person who has sky rings and cancels. Take down the dish and get partner to ring and say they just moved in.

People just move house and take dish with them the whole time without even cancelling as it still works when they move.

Sky will not turn down your business in this case. The most they will ask is "how long have you been resident". "Just moved in wink wink" play dumb etc..

Your calling cancellations to cancel and sales to reorder so dont worry about speaking to the same person.

Bobs your uncle. New dish and box @ 50% for 12 mths

Might have to pay last month of old contract plus first month of new contract in same month.

Advertisement