Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    ANYWHERE I CAN GET A LIST OF CHANNELS THAT COME WITH THE BASIC PACK??

Sky website

No link as you are just lazy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    So without reading the whole thread is it €12.50 a month and no installation charge? Just had a Sky rep at the door offering €25 up front install then €12.50 a month for 2 months and €25 a month after that

Guess who gets €25 Commission.

Not a bad earner.

So as I mentioned earlier I want to get my parents to get this instead of our crap UPC (country side so mmds).

The UPC has to be paid up until the 20th of November so when my mother rang up about the sky offer she asked if she could sign up now but not get it installed or pay anything until a week or so before UPC is cancelled.

They said yes thats no problem but I am very reluctant to trust something said over the phone and Id be worried that when she rings up to get it installed that they will say the offer is over bla bla bla?

Any thoughts?

So as I mentioned earlier I want to get my parents to get this instead of our crap UPC (country side so mmds).

The UPC has to be paid up until the 20th of November so when my mother rang up about the sky offer she asked if he could sign up now but not get it installed or pay anything until a week or so before UPC is cancelled.

They said yes thats no problem but I am very reluctant to trust something said over the phone and Id be worried that when she rings up to get it installed that they will say the offer is over bla bla bla?

Any thoughts?

All calls are recorded for reasons like this.

Call. Ask agents first and last name. Then ask for supervisors name. [accountability]

Then remind them that the call is recorded and ask them to repeat the offer. Mention everything as if you know its gonna be recorded. Also note the exact date and time of call. Maybe even post on this forum just after you make the call for future reference.

If theres any crap from them in future just ask directly for the supervisor and ask them to "pull up" the call. Once a sky employee says it, its valid.

If all else fails tell them you want a "SAR" [Subject Access Requests] request.
    You have by right access to all info they have on you. Every note and every recording thats made of you has to be sent to you.

"SAR" is a word that no one in a call centre likes. It could get someone sacked quite easily if its brought to that level and its found they lied. In fact its nearly a guarantee as thats when it has the potential for the Media to get involved etc..

They will give you the offer long before it gets to that level.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

The UPC has to be paid up until the 20th of November so when my mother rang up about the sky offer she asked if she could sign up now but not get it installed or pay anything until a week or so before UPC is cancelled.

Any thoughts?

Also you can go to the Help/contact us section and send them a mail with that question or live chat but save the chat in the PC as there's no option to email it.

Make sure she contract it before the offer end date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

thanks op.now enjoying my half price sky package:D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Many thanks to the OP for posting this. Called up Sky yesterday and have my install scheduled for 13th. Sports and Movies all for 38 euro per month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Rang up a second time last night and told the lad I was definitely cancelling as the previous offer of 25% off wasnt enough to get me to stay.

Was put through to a supervisor who then offered my package for €50 a month for six months so accepted it. This is only €2 more than 50% off what I'm paying so well happy. Will do the same again in five months.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Cheers for this OP, got my basic package and sport for €29.50. Happy out.

The guy I was talking to said its the best deal you can get and its what the Sky staff actually get.

Gonna get my dad to switch over from UPC too.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

I got the wife to ring up using her maiden name and happy days the basic package for 12.50 a month for 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I tried to do it today and got no joy, I'm still in the 30 day cooling off period , he was going to cut me off there and then

what would ye recommend me to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭celt262

If you cancel have you a partner/housemate that can then sign up?

Edit: i see you dont sorry i cant help.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I was also informed that its not available to 'shared dish' apartments block.

Lad on the phone said there was nothing he could do on it - that offer just wasnt available on his system. He said there'd been a good few on to him today about the same.

I didn't push too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

I was also informed that its not available to 'shared dish' apartments block.

Lad on the phone said there was nothing he could do on it - that offer just wasnt available on his system. He said there'd been a good few on to him today about the same.

I didn't push too much.
    You could try this. If you know someone such as parents who don't have Sky and don't want it, get it installed there but in your name. Once installed and actived just use your imagination. As a bonus your parents now have a sat dish to which you could connect an eg Saorview/Sat combo box to give them more channels than they would ever need.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Great offer in a time of general customer need.

Help please.

1. Do you have to have a physical land line for multi room?

We got rid of eircom years ago and the physical line is redundant.

We have wireless broadband with VOIP line, but the sky phone rep said it had to be eircom or vodaphone!

If it is the case, can we get another room wired to the sky dish and onto a generic box, that will then be able to independently pick up the free channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

ODriscoll wrote: »
    Great offer in a time of general customer need.

Help please.

1. Do you have to have a physical land line for multi room?

We got rid of eircom years ago and the physical line is redundant.

We have wireless broadband with VOIP line, but the sky phone rep said it had to be eircom or vodaphone!

If it is the case, can we get another room wired to the sky dish and onto a generic box, that will then be able to independently pick up the free channels?

1. Yes you need a physical landline for multiroom but it can be with any provider e.g. UPC. From my past experience once you have multiroom you need a land line connected to all boxes in the house at all times. This is to prevent the cheaper multiroom being taken to a different house e.g. holiday home. Sky asks the boxes to call home and if there is no response from your number after a certain amount of time, you can expect a phone call from Sky.

If you are only getting one box they say you need a landline or else you get charged something like €20/€30, but you don't. The Sky eng will ask you for the money but tell him/her you want to cancel and he/she will back down. B.t.w I have never seen a female Sky eng.

2. If you want an extra room wired outside of the Multiroom there is a charge for that. One room I would expect to be about €30.

Most Sky reps will insist on installing the dish in the easiest/quickest location and drilling holes in your wall. A standard installation does include going up on the roof of a three bed semi and installing on the chimney. Most will try not to as it will take too long.

Get a supervisor on the phone and let loose. :mad:

If you get no satisfaction from him ask for his boss.

Pretend you got the offer in the door a couple of days after you signed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I have a dish on my house from when I was with Sky a few years ago. Can they just use that again instead of putting up another?

Im not sure if Im getting it just yet, trying to get UPC to give me a discount because of this offer. Still want to know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DylanII wrote: »
    I have a dish on my house from when I was with Sky a few years ago. Can they just use that again instead of putting up another?

Im not sure if Im getting it just yet, trying to get UPC to give me a discount because of this offer. Still want to know though.
    You would be better off taking down the old dish and bracket,sky should install new equipment but wont if there is the old one there.You are better off getting a new dish rather than have one thats been on the house a few years and could be fit for nothing.
    Same goes for sky boxes dont have old boxes connected when they arrive to install new ones or they will try to leave them with you and you wont get the new box.(This is mostly for people who cancelled recently and rejoined using a different name)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you get a second box with the offer will they install a quad lnb?
    Also can this offer be combined with the "introduce a friend" promotion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

Fair Play to ya OP. Signed up lat night for the whole shebang for €38 a month. Couldn't have been easier.
    Question: How long do UPC take to cancel? Straight away, 1 week, 1 month??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

bromley52 wrote: »
    1. Yes you need a physical landline for multiroom but it can be with any provider e.g. UPC. From my past experience once you have multiroom you need a land line connected to all boxes in the house at all times. This is to prevent the cheaper multiroom being taken to a different house e.g. holiday home. Sky asks the boxes to call home and if there is no response from your number after a certain amount of time, you can expect a phone call from Sky.

If you are only getting one box they say you need a landline or else you get charged something like €20/€30, but you don't. The Sky eng will ask you for the money but tell him/her you want to cancel and he/she will back down. B.t.w I have never seen a female Sky eng.

2. If you want an extra room wired outside of the Multiroom there is a charge for that. One room I would expect to be about €30.

Most Sky reps will insist on installing the dish in the easiest/quickest location and drilling holes in your wall. A standard installation does include going up on the roof of a three bed semi and installing on the chimney. Most will try not to as it will take too long.

do they try to charge for the landline when they do the installation then?

is it ok to mention not having landline when applying or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Have people got away with the €37.50 landline charge?

I bloody never copped that I should maybe have tried saying I had a landline while on the phone.

Still, €37.50 is not €45 that UPC charge per service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My offer for the entertainment plus package for half price for 6 months is just up so I rang them to see what I could get. They offered me 25% off and I said no way. I told them to go ahead and cancel and they asked for my number to ring me back. They rang me back 10 minutes later with a new offer of 50% off for 6 months, I accepted this and also got the sports and HD packages for 50% off too. It comes to €41.50 a month. I'm happy out with this since I'm not a new customer.

LarryMac wrote: »
    Fair Play to ya OP. Signed up lat night for the whole shebang for €38 a month. Couldn't have been easier.
    Question: How long do UPC take to cancel? Straight away, 1 week, 1 month??

You got the movies and Sport ? is HD included ?

You got the movies and Sport ? is HD included ?

Yep. Got Sports (Including ESPN) and the Movies. The Entertainment + includes Music Channels and Cartoon Channels for the kids. Didn't go for the HD.

LarryMac wrote: »
    Yep. Got Sports (Including ESPN) and the Movies. The Entertainment + includes Music Channels and Cartoon Channels for the kids. Didn't go for the HD.

I think the Sky + Box is HD but you have to subscribe to the HD Channels to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

bromley52 wrote: »

Appreciate the full reply.

Can you or anyone else just confirm this scenario for me please.

Just accepting the claim from sky phone rep that I cant have multi room because I am not landline with eircom or vodafone.

I go for a sky package for one room..

1. can we ask the installer to connect up a freeview / combi box (we buy seperately) in another room to the new sky dish and have that room at least be able to pick up the free channels independently.

Thanks op, my parents signed up today and have put off the install until November when the UPC contract is cancelled which works out perfect. No more complaining from me about how crap UPC is at home compared to the sky we have where I rent. Also going to get the installer to run another cable to my parents room so they can have the free view channels there.

• Advertisement

Have people got away with the €37.50 landline charge?

I bloody never copped that I should maybe have tried saying I had a landline while on the phone.

Still, €37.50 is not €45 that UPC charge per service.

Got stung for it myself. Not the worst for the deal your getting. A few years back it was 80 bucks.

Sky are fussy about phone lines because people could easily get multiroom and just give the card to someone with a dish. The boxes need to dial a number every once in a while to tell sky where the box and card is. If its not at home youll get a phonecall from sky asking why its not at home.

Advertisement