Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    New card arrived today. Can we stick into the old Sky box from previous tenent or do we have to wait for our box to arrive next week??

The time it took you to write that message you could have tried and let us know. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

bromley52 wrote: »
    I saw a friend of mine get a letter today advertising half price Sky + for 12 months with free install. Ring 0818 762 867 and quote 'Irelands No.1 offer'. Fatcheese are giving up to €135 cash back if you book online but I imagine if you then ring quoting the half price offer you might get that too and perhaps more if you play hardball.

Btw. Sky broadband.+ phone is coming this way in the next few months. There might be even better deals to be had then.

Edit: I have added a pic of the main part of what he got as an attachment.
    so basically ring up and quote irelands number 1 offer -how much is it per month at half price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you don't have a phone line should you let them know when placing the order?
    and will i be caught for the charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M cebee wrote: »

No,just give them a random one.It just makes the installers job easier when activating the card.He plugs in the box,activates the card via call-back.Without a phoneline he has to ring Sky & they send a signal to the box through the dish to activate the card.

trinib wrote: »
    No not for free €30 and he threw in a magic eye for the kids room. Well worth it tho saved my husband messing around with cables for hours.

That was as good as doing it for free,Magic Eyes are around €20 in the shops.
    You got a good deal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

15 mins on hold trying to get through to cancelations dept, the whole country must be cancelling to get this deal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

zerks wrote: »

No,just give them a random one.It just makes the installers job easier when activating the card.He plugs in the box,activates the card via call-back.Without a phoneline he has to ring Sky & they send a signal to the box through the dish to activate the card.
    ok thanks
    is the phone line only needed for installation then?
    do they check it after that-if you're only getting 1 sky box

ok thanks
    is the phone line only needed for installation then?
    do they check it after that-if you're only getting 1 sky box

It's not essential for installation,just makes the installers job easier.

They insist on having it plugged in for multiroom,you don't need it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

zerks wrote: »
    It's not essential for installation,just makes the installers job easier.

They insist on having it plugged in for multiroom,you don't need it otherwise.

I was wondering about this myself, do all of the boxes need to have a phone connection all the time? Or is it just each time you have to active a new card?

Tv is nowhere near the phone line in my house and we can't be running cables all over the place.

Parawind wrote: »
    I was wondering about this myself, do all of the boxes need to have a phone connection all the time? Or is it just each time you have to active a new card?

Tv is nowhere near the phone line in my house and we can't be running cables all over the place.

Boxes need to "check in" with sky every once in a while so people dont just give the multiroom to someone in another house and split the bill.

If it doesnt "check in" properly from your phone number sky will contact you and ask you to plug it back in. If you dont they will probably cut you off or charge you extra. Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Parawind wrote: »

If its multiroom they want all boxes to be connected to a phoneline otherwise its not neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

YES

Just got the deal

Basically what I did was rang the number and went through all the diffeent options as if I was a brand new sky customer

When I got the guy on the phone, I said I was calling regarding 'Irelands Number 1 offer'

The guy asked me was this my first time with sky, I told him I was actually already a customer for the past few weeks and he said 'OH', that offer isn't available to you because you signed up just before its became available

I said I didnt care and that it wasnt fair that I was only with Sky 2 weeks and still within my cooling off period and having to pay full whack

He still wouldn't help me so then I said I wanted to talk to his supervisor, he really didnt want to do this. He said he could put me through to customer services because he didnt think his supervisor could help, I said I still wanted to speak to him and after 3 times trying to put me off, he finally gave in

He put me on hold for what must have been 15-20 mins, came back and said he was trying to locate him and that he would be with me shortly

10 mins later the supervisor came on the phone and offered me the deal,I just hope they stick to the deal now and not pretend I never called them. I didnt ask for a reference number or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

i rang sky on tuesday, about getting a connection
    tv licence guy was out on thursday
    coincidence ?

neiphin wrote: »
    i rang sky on tuesday, about getting a connection
    tv licence guy was out on thursday
    coincidence ?

I would say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How long those it take for your online account to ne updated with the new charge, I know its early yet buts its still saying 86 euro for my next bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

so people dont just give the multiroom to someone in another house and split the bill

Isn't that what Sky Go is for? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Berberis

Just in case anyone does not know, it appears that if you apply online as a new customer, then the half price deal applies also untill the 27th sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    15 mins on hold trying to get through to cancelations dept, the whole country must be cancelling to get this deal!!!
    Don't they make money having you on hold? 0818?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Media999 wrote: »
    Is there something else involved with this?

Who knows! Good thing is I finally got a result after a few more calls yesterday. Perseverance is the key!
    • Called Sky Ireland. Was told they could do nothing (again) and that a supervisor (who wasn't available again) would call me back. Picked up a rather rude, curt voicemail later to say "that offer isn't available to you, sorry".
    • Called Complaints. Got through to a girl in Scotland, she put me on hold and spoke to someone in Ireland and said someone would be calling me back in 10 mins to tell me about the offers I could have (up to now I'd consistently been told there were NO offers open to me). Ok, who knows... so I waited... but no call came.
    • At the end of the day I refused to go to the bar defeated, and rang back. Girl I spoke to told me to call back again and go through the menu system to the "returning to Sky" department (even though I'd not actually left, because my account was pending cancellation).
    • Got through to a lovely lady, briefly described all of the calls I'd made, explained I just wanted some kind of offer and I would upgrade rather than leave.

She told me she might be able to get me 9 months half price but put me on hold, came back and offered me... 12 months half price for my whole package including the addition of Sky Sports, and told me to ring another number to upgrade to a new HD box for a €30 one-off setup fee and the €15/month... which I did.

And she gave me a credit on my account to cover my next 2 bills.

Finally. No thanks to most Sky call-centre reps (who were blunt, dispassionate and seemed incapable of saying anything that wasn't written in a call script), but sincere thanks to the one lady who eventually listened and provided a little bit of delight by offering me a better deal than expected.

I hope everyone else here gets a good deal, however long you have to hold out for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You should ring up and get the HD for half price too.

Haha. No, I'm taking a break from calling Sky. I've had my fill for this year! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

davenewt wrote: »
    Finally. No thanks to most Sky call-centre reps (who were blunt, dispassionate and seemed incapable of saying anything that wasn't written in a call script), but sincere thanks to the one lady who eventually listened and provided a little bit of delight by offering me a better deal than expected.

I hope everyone else here gets a good deal, however long you have to hold out for it!

What number did you call? I rang and was offered nothing at all :O

padocon wrote: »
    What number did you call? I rang and was offered nothing at all :O

Bear in mind I had already instructed them to cancel my account by this stage, I had to call their "returning to sky" dept: 0818 719819 then menu options 2, 2 and 1 (I think!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

You could save a fortune by cancelling Sky and using Saorview and Freesat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

joolsveer wrote: »
    You could save a fortune by cancelling Sky and using Saorview and Freesat.

I have a freesat box in my bedroom but it's crap compared to what you get with sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

10 mins later the supervisor came on the phone and offered me the deal,I just hope they stick to the deal now and not pretend I never called them. I didnt ask for a reference number or anything
    Fair play to ya, great deal. If you register on Sky.com you might be able to see your 1st months bill in advance, and give them a call back if it's incorrect, be no harm to ask them for an id number, their name what call centre they are in .. might help prevent their amnesia of what they offered you!

Who knows! Good thing is I finally got a result after a few more calls yesterday. Perseverance is the key!
    • Called Sky Ireland. Was told they could do nothing (again) and that a supervisor (who wasn't available again) would call me back. Picked up a rather rude, curt voicemail later to say "that offer isn't available to you, sorry".
    • Called Complaints. Got through to a girl in Scotland, she put me on hold and spoke to someone in Ireland and said someone would be calling me back in 10 mins to tell me about the offers I could have (up to now I'd consistently been told there were NO offers open to me). Ok, who knows... so I waited... but no call came.
    • At the end of the day I refused to go to the bar defeated, and rang back. Girl I spoke to told me to call back again and go through the menu system to the "returning to Sky" department (even though I'd not actually left, because my account was pending cancellation).
    • Got through to a lovely lady, briefly described all of the calls I'd made, explained I just wanted some kind of offer and I would upgrade rather than leave.

She told me she might be able to get me 9 months half price but put me on hold, came back and offered me... 12 months half price for my whole package including the addition of Sky Sports, and told me to ring another number to upgrade to a new HD box for a €30 one-off setup fee and the €15/month... which I did.

And she gave me a credit on my account to cover my next 2 bills.

Good stuff.

I can pretty much guarantee you there was a note on your account saying not to give you anything. Someone got the hump and thought they would be clever.

They make 80% of all profit from renewals. It makes no sense to get rid of customers that already have all the gear in their house and can generate profit at the click of a button.

The agents just follow a script as youve discovered. Anyone rings to cancel they get put through the motions. They literally just ask questions and tick boxes.

3 months half price. If you refuse this and still insist on cancelling they then offer you 6 months half price.

If you still insist the next step varies. They can give you 12 right there on the phone or they will wait till you cancel and call you back with the 12 months offer. Credit etc.. is completely custom to the person youre speaking to. Looks like you spoke to a nice girl. She probably put down a note saying that you where to be given credit as "a sign of goodwill".

For all this to happen you need to be out of contract or not living in apartment.

Fairly certain you wont see your half price until next bill gets issued and some might even miss their billing date and have to wait 5 weeks to see 1/2 price.

Billing date is generally about two weeks before money comes out. If your billing date is this week and you rang today id say you wont see a half price bill for 5 weeks. Everyones bills are different so might not be 100%.

Seriously folks. You use your head bouncing between Sky and UPC and youll have 1/2 price forever.

If not with Sky giving you the offer again or resigning in partners name, UPC will give you an offer to move over. Sky will have Broadband soon and then there will be serious competition for everything. Set a reminder on your phone to repeat this in 11 months.

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    New card arrived today. Can we stick into the old Sky box from previous tenent or do we have to wait for our box to arrive next week??

It has to be activated & paired with the new box so don't put it in the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

great thread again op it has to be said

thousands have been saved alone because someone posted here
    it just great to see

regret not holding out for 12mnths half price myself but 6 will do
    they can give me another 6 months in jan when i give my 30days notice :)
    neighbour only got 25percent off but for 12months but same thing as me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So how much would the basic pack + sports be - Including installation and equipment etc?

Tusky wrote: »
    So how much would the basic pack + sports be - Including installation and equipment etc?

i have basic pack and sports
    costs me 63

not sure what they charge for install, prob free for newbies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,418 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you're a new customer it will be €29.50. Box and standard installation is free I think.

The full price is basic entertainment pack @ €25 + Sports @ €34 per month

muffler wrote: »
    If you're a new customer it will be €29.50. Box and standard installation is free I think.

Sky agent: Are you a new customer?
    Your Partner: Yes wink wink. Just moved in.

// Proceeds to cancel Sky and take down dish day before engineer calls.
    // Sells old dish on Donedeal for a healthy profit.

bobs your uncle. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

muffler wrote: »

That's not too bad.

[edit] Coming up as €46.50?

Sky TV

€46.50
    - Sky Entertainment
    - Sports 1
    - Sports 2

Upfront Payment: 25 EURO off Sky TV bill.

[edit 2] This thread is too big to read back through! To get this deal I just ring up and quote the offer, right?

[edit 2] This thread is too big to read back through! To get this deal I just ring up and quote the offer, right?

yep
    just quote the offer
    so it should be 23.25 for you for 12mnths

Bear in mind I had already instructed them to cancel my account by this stage, I had to call their "returning to sky" dept: 0818 719819 then menu options 2, 2 and 1 (I think!)

Thank you I must do that, at the moment I've given the 30 days notice to cancel because they would not apply the offer. I was offered half price multi-room and reminded of all the so called offers I have had in the past, which btw hasn't been many.

3 months half price. If you refuse this and still insist on cancelling they then offer you 6 months half price.

I called their bluff and it didn't work so far. :(

I am out of contract, I called up and said my package was too deer and asked for discount, nothing was suggested bar removing bits of my package. Mentioned the half price deal and said I knew other sky customers that got it. The fellow said there was no way he could give me that deal. He continued to query who told me about the offer and I said I read about it online. He started going on that sky have nothing to do with other websites bar the official one ya ya as if I didn't know that in other words what he was getting at was all I read was a load of BS pull the other one, why don't ya, he even mentioned boards.ie :O And I hadn't said a word.

I canceled my subscription!
    mailburner wrote: »
    great thread again op it has to be said

thousands have been saved alone because someone posted here
    it just great to see

Sure have and sky know it!

Thank you I must do that, at the moment I've given the 30 days notice to cancel because they would not apply the offer. I was offered half price multi-room and reminded of all the so called offers I have had in the past, which btw hasn't been many.

I called their bluff and it didn't work so far. :(

I am out of contract, I called up and said my package was too dear and asked for discount, nothing was suggested bar removing bits of my package. Mentioned the half price deal and said I knew other sky customers that got it. The fellow said there was no way he could give me that deal. He continued to query who told me about the offer and I said I read about it online. He started going on that sky have nothing to do with other websites bar the official one ya ya as if I didn't know that in other wards what he was getting at was all I read was a load of BS pull the other one, why don't ya, he even mentioned boards.ie :O And I hadn't said a word.

I canceled my subscription!

Sure have and sky know it!

Order again in partners name. Shes now the new house tenant. Just moved in. Give it a few days even to call back if you want.

New account number, New name. New department.

No problems.

When you resignup they dont cross reference the address. They will not say their is already a sky dish there. If by any chance they ask you is there a dish you just say no and just say you just moved in. Take dish down or just leave it up and let the engineer replace it. Id advise to take it down and sell it/donate to someone else for freeview maybe.

Think about it this way. If you "just moved into the house" and the previous "tenant took their dish with them" Sky havent a clue and will not turn away business if you want to sign up. This happens 100s of times a day. Think about the amount of people who move house every day and cancel Sky. Sky doesnt just put the house on some kind of blacklist.

They are just happy to have a new customer.

I have a funny feeling Sky are onto us. Looks like the only sure fire way of getting this straight may be :

1 Account holder cancels on Monday.
    You will have stations up until your next billing date so dont worry about having no stations.

2 Waits a few days and sees if they get a callback with the 1/2 price offer for 12 months.

3 If not partner calls in a few days and re signs up using promo Irelands best offer.

New account, New name, New department. 50% off. No problems.

That's not too bad.

[edit] Coming up as €46.50?

Sky TV

€46.50
    - Sky Entertainment
    - Sports 1
    - Sports 2

Upfront Payment: 25 EURO off Sky TV bill.

You must be dong that online. The figure would be right for that method. Basic pack at half price - €12.50 and then add €34 full price for the sports so that brings it to €46.50.

You have to ring to get the sports pack at half price quoting "Ireland's number 1 offer"

mailburner wrote: »
    yep
    just quote the offer
    so it should be 23.25 for you for 12mnths
    Nope - see my post above :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

he even mentioned boards.ie :O And I hadn't said a word.
    :eek:

What clown rang up whinging/bitching that they wanted the Boards offer!!?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Thanks OP, Ordered this during the week.

Getting it installed on the 18th.

Do you get your sky viewing card with the box when its installed or does it come in the post?

manu2009 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, Ordered this during the week.

Getting it installed on the 18th.

Do you get your sky viewing card with the box when its installed or does it come in the post?

Post in a couple of days.

:eek:

What clown rang up whinging/bitching that they wanted the Boards offer!!?:rolleyes:

A call centre full of people sitting in front of PCs all day. Surely theres a few Boards regulars working in Sky.

Hello everyone at Sky!!! Thanks for the offer.

Then again. Im sure they are delighted at the surge in customers. Most likely a lot of us will stay next year and make some profit for them. Also people will likely cancel UPC so UPC are losing out aswell.

A call centre full of people sitting in front of PCs all day. Surely theres a few Boards regulars working in Sky.

Hello everyone at Sky!!! Thanks for the offer.

My thoughts exactly!
    Then again. Im sure they are delighted at the surge in customers. Most likely a lot of us will stay next year and make some profit for them. Also people will likely cancel UPC so UPC are losing out aswell.

I think I could end up moving to UPC if they dont hurry on and make me this offer! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

When signing up on the phone do you need to give your direct debit details there and then or do they send out a form to sign?

When signing up on the phone do you need to give your direct debit details there and then or do they send out a form to sign?

On the phone to the Sales department.

I think I could end up moving to UPC if they dont hurry on and make me this offer! :pac:

Just get partner [new tenant wink wink :D] to ring sales and resignup with their details.

Just get partner [new tenant wink wink :D] to ring sales and resignup with their details.

Are they not catching on to this he must have told me 4 times that no one in the household could sign up in the next 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Was tempted to cancel my contract but that would take 31 days :( should there be another offer after this? Don't really want to be stuck left without sky

Advertisement