Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Media999 wrote: »
    Person who has sky rings and cancels. Take down the dish and get partner to ring and say they just moved in.
    j

My missus rang and cancelled our Sky contract (in her name) a week ago, we had to pay up to the middle of this month. I rang and got the half-price offer in my name, the installer is coming out next week.

When he comes out, he can take down the old dish (which is a bit shabby and out of alignment at this stage), stick up the new one and connect up my quad LNB to the existing cables. Less work for him, new hardware and half-price Sky for me. Everyone's a winner as we were seriously thinking of getting rid of Sky altogether recently and going the Freesat/Saorview route.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

MayoForSam wrote: »

When he comes out, he can take down the old dish (which is a bit shabby and out of alignment at this stage), stick up the new one and connect up my quad LNB to the existing cables. Less work for him, new hardware and half-price Sky for me. Everyone's a winner as we were seriously thinking of getting rid of Sky altogether recently and going the Freesat/Saorview route.

I would make sure you take down the old dish before the installer lands as most wont replace an exisiting one.

You might get lucky but I myself would like to be sure to get the new dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I was within the cooling off period and, after some time-wasting in other departments, was transferred to cancellations. Was first offered 25% off as the best they could do, otherwise I'd be transferred to the supervisor to proceed with the cancellation. When I was put through to the supervisor I was offered the 12 months half price offer.

So, good offer from Sky, thanks OP.
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Balls only signed up with Sky on Friday.

According to Sky's contract information booklet - you an cancel your order "up to 8 working days after the later of delivery (or) installation".

• Registered Users Posts: 30 thedubguy

Hi, just thought I would let people know of my experience. I am a sky customer but well past my 12 month contract so I called sky asking them about this offer that they were giving to new customers and asked if they could also give it to new customers, obviously I was told that this was not possible so I asked them to put me through to the cancellations department.

When I got talking to cancellations I explained that it was unfair to offer this to new customers and not to existing customers especially as I was outside of my contract. The cancellations department tried to tell me that there was no such offer available at all but she could offer me a 10 euro discount off my monthly bill (I have the full package with multiroom so am paying almost 100 already), so I declined her offer and told her to just go ahead and cancel. She then told me she would have to pass me through to the accounts department to finalise the cancellation.

The next person I spoke with offered to give me 50% off the package and multiroom for 6 months but I told him why would I accept that when I could just cancel and then sign up in my wifes name the same day for the 6 month half price offer. He put me on hold for a few minutes and offered me 12 months half price package and multiroom and I didnt have to sign for another 12 months so if something much better comes along I can still move.

The bottom line is that if you are a customer outside your 12 month contract and willing to cancel then push your luck and they will give you the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

thedubguy wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I would let people know of my experience. I am a sky customer but well past my 12 month contract so I called sky asking them about this offer that they were giving to new customers and asked if they could also give it to new customers, obviously I was told that this was not possible so I asked them to put me through to the cancellations department.

When I got talking to cancellations I explained that it was unfair to offer this to new customers and not to existing customers especially as I was outside of my contract. The cancellations department tried to tell me that there was no such offer available at all but she could offer me a 10 euro discount off my monthly bill (I have the full package with multiroom so am paying almost 100 already), so I declined her offer and told her to just go ahead and cancel. She then told me she would have to pass me through to the accounts department to finalise the cancellation.

The next person I spoke with offered to give me 50% off the package and multiroom for 6 months but I told him why would I accept that when I could just cancel and then sign up in my wifes name the same day for the 6 month half price offer. He put me on hold for a few minutes and offered me 12 months half price package and multiroom and I didnt have to sign for another 12 months so if something much better comes along I can still move.

The bottom line is that if you are a customer outside your 12 month contract and willing to cancel then push your luck and they will give you the offer.

I wish. Similar situation, I called again just there and was told there was NO WAY I would get any offer, and there was no manager available.

Asked that someone call me back, and just got a voicemail from a supposed "supervisor" saying bluntly that the offer is not available to me, "sorry about that".

Next stop, the UK complaints number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Thanks OP. My husband rang to order this offer last week our current subscription is in my maiden name and we have a name on our house since we got it in 6 years ago so the address looked totally different. Our installer came this morning never even batted an eyelid at the fact we already had sky, he gave us a new dish cause ours was fairly battered. My husband chanced his arm then and asked him would he set the old box up for the free view stations on another tv in the house, he done this no problem for us. I rang then when he was gone to cancel my subscription, was offered the 25% off but made it clear I wasnt interested in any offer and after been put on hold then was put through to the cancellation department and the job was done. So for 9 euro or so more than we were paying for the very basic package we now have the full thing. Thank god sky sports back since we cancelled it a year ago cause we couldnt afford it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

trinib wrote: »
    My husband chanced his arm then and asked him would he set the old box up for the free view stations on another tv in the house, he done this no problem for us.
    Did he do it for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

New card arrived today. Can we stick into the old Sky box from previous tenent or do we have to wait for our box to arrive next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    My husband chanced his arm then and asked him would he set the old box up for the free view stations on another tv in the house, he done this no problem for us.
    Did he do it for free?

No not for free €30 and he threw in a magic eye for the kids room. Well worth it tho saved my husband messing around with cables for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

davenewt wrote: »
    I wish. Similar situation, I called again just there and was told there was NO WAY I would get any offer, and there was no manager available.

Asked that someone call me back, and just got a voicemail from a supposed "supervisor" saying bluntly that the offer is not available to me, "sorry about that".

Next stop, the UK complaints number.

Is there something else involved with this? Are you absolutely sure youre not still in contract? Live in an apartment?

My guess if youre not is that there is a note on your account saying that your calling in and not to give you the offer or something. Maybe some prick got the hump. Definitely some reason. The fact they wouldnt get a supervisor aswell.

Look at the amount of replies now of people going through the motions. Sky have processes that they follow. Basically the better offer you get the less commission they get. Unless theres a note from a Supervisor on the account saying not to give it to you for some reason.

If that was me id Cancel. Start an account in a different name.

Technically you could just use a false name to name the account. Maybe even relations name. When they ask you for the bank account name for direct debit just give the right name as they dont cross reference them to other accounts.

• Advertisement

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    New card arrived today. Can we stick into the old Sky box from previous tenent or do we have to wait for our box to arrive next week??

The time it took you to write that message you could have tried and let us know. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

bromley52 wrote: »
    I saw a friend of mine get a letter today advertising half price Sky + for 12 months with free install. Ring 0818 762 867 and quote 'Irelands No.1 offer'. Fatcheese are giving up to €135 cash back if you book online but I imagine if you then ring quoting the half price offer you might get that too and perhaps more if you play hardball.

Btw. Sky broadband.+ phone is coming this way in the next few months. There might be even better deals to be had then.

Edit: I have added a pic of the main part of what he got as an attachment.
    so basically ring up and quote irelands number 1 offer -how much is it per month at half price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you don't have a phone line should you let them know when placing the order?
    and will i be caught for the charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M cebee wrote: »

No,just give them a random one.It just makes the installers job easier when activating the card.He plugs in the box,activates the card via call-back.Without a phoneline he has to ring Sky & they send a signal to the box through the dish to activate the card.

No not for free €30 and he threw in a magic eye for the kids room. Well worth it tho saved my husband messing around with cables for hours.

That was as good as doing it for free,Magic Eyes are around €20 in the shops.
    You got a good deal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

15 mins on hold trying to get through to cancelations dept, the whole country must be cancelling to get this deal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

zerks wrote: »

No,just give them a random one.It just makes the installers job easier when activating the card.He plugs in the box,activates the card via call-back.Without a phoneline he has to ring Sky & they send a signal to the box through the dish to activate the card.
    ok thanks
    is the phone line only needed for installation then?
    do they check it after that-if you're only getting 1 sky box

ok thanks
    is the phone line only needed for installation then?
    do they check it after that-if you're only getting 1 sky box

It's not essential for installation,just makes the installers job easier.

They insist on having it plugged in for multiroom,you don't need it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

zerks wrote: »
    It's not essential for installation,just makes the installers job easier.

They insist on having it plugged in for multiroom,you don't need it otherwise.

I was wondering about this myself, do all of the boxes need to have a phone connection all the time? Or is it just each time you have to active a new card?

Tv is nowhere near the phone line in my house and we can't be running cables all over the place.

Parawind wrote: »
    I was wondering about this myself, do all of the boxes need to have a phone connection all the time? Or is it just each time you have to active a new card?

Tv is nowhere near the phone line in my house and we can't be running cables all over the place.

Boxes need to "check in" with sky every once in a while so people dont just give the multiroom to someone in another house and split the bill.

If it doesnt "check in" properly from your phone number sky will contact you and ask you to plug it back in. If you dont they will probably cut you off or charge you extra. Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Parawind wrote: »

If its multiroom they want all boxes to be connected to a phoneline otherwise its not neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

YES

Just got the deal

Basically what I did was rang the number and went through all the diffeent options as if I was a brand new sky customer

When I got the guy on the phone, I said I was calling regarding 'Irelands Number 1 offer'

The guy asked me was this my first time with sky, I told him I was actually already a customer for the past few weeks and he said 'OH', that offer isn't available to you because you signed up just before its became available

I said I didnt care and that it wasnt fair that I was only with Sky 2 weeks and still within my cooling off period and having to pay full whack

He still wouldn't help me so then I said I wanted to talk to his supervisor, he really didnt want to do this. He said he could put me through to customer services because he didnt think his supervisor could help, I said I still wanted to speak to him and after 3 times trying to put me off, he finally gave in

He put me on hold for what must have been 15-20 mins, came back and said he was trying to locate him and that he would be with me shortly

10 mins later the supervisor came on the phone and offered me the deal,I just hope they stick to the deal now and not pretend I never called them. I didnt ask for a reference number or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

i rang sky on tuesday, about getting a connection
    tv licence guy was out on thursday
    coincidence ?

neiphin wrote: »
    i rang sky on tuesday, about getting a connection
    tv licence guy was out on thursday
    coincidence ?

I would say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How long those it take for your online account to ne updated with the new charge, I know its early yet buts its still saying 86 euro for my next bill

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

so people dont just give the multiroom to someone in another house and split the bill

Isn't that what Sky Go is for? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Just in case anyone does not know, it appears that if you apply online as a new customer, then the half price deal applies also untill the 27th sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    15 mins on hold trying to get through to cancelations dept, the whole country must be cancelling to get this deal!!!
    Don't they make money having you on hold? 0818?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Media999 wrote: »
    Is there something else involved with this?

Who knows! Good thing is I finally got a result after a few more calls yesterday. Perseverance is the key!
    • Called Sky Ireland. Was told they could do nothing (again) and that a supervisor (who wasn't available again) would call me back. Picked up a rather rude, curt voicemail later to say "that offer isn't available to you, sorry".
    • Called Complaints. Got through to a girl in Scotland, she put me on hold and spoke to someone in Ireland and said someone would be calling me back in 10 mins to tell me about the offers I could have (up to now I'd consistently been told there were NO offers open to me). Ok, who knows... so I waited... but no call came.
    • At the end of the day I refused to go to the bar defeated, and rang back. Girl I spoke to told me to call back again and go through the menu system to the "returning to Sky" department (even though I'd not actually left, because my account was pending cancellation).
    • Got through to a lovely lady, briefly described all of the calls I'd made, explained I just wanted some kind of offer and I would upgrade rather than leave.

She told me she might be able to get me 9 months half price but put me on hold, came back and offered me... 12 months half price for my whole package including the addition of Sky Sports, and told me to ring another number to upgrade to a new HD box for a €30 one-off setup fee and the €15/month... which I did.

And she gave me a credit on my account to cover my next 2 bills.

Finally. No thanks to most Sky call-centre reps (who were blunt, dispassionate and seemed incapable of saying anything that wasn't written in a call script), but sincere thanks to the one lady who eventually listened and provided a little bit of delight by offering me a better deal than expected.

I hope everyone else here gets a good deal, however long you have to hold out for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You should ring up and get the HD for half price too.

Advertisement